Afterlife - Selkirk Abbey Brewing Company

Selkirk Abbey Brewing Company visit their website
Idaho, United States

Belgian IPA |  5.75% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: woemad on 07-07-2013)
Reviews by woemad:
3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

Sample poured and consumed at the brewery.

Tried this side by side with a sample of the Infidel to see what the differences were. The young woman behind the bar informed me that they were the same alcohol strength, but I knew that was incorrect, as they'd had signs posted during their anniversary party the week before and they were definitely different. A look 'round the web let me to the above-listed abv percentage and to this description of the beer from the brewers:

"Big beers in hot weather turns us into zombies, maybe it does that to you too. So we figured we’d try something a little more approachable for summer. Afterlife is our solution. It’s got a great hop character and is as close to being a session IPA as we were willing to go. Cheers, grrr argh, brains… "

Despite it's avowed "session IPA" status, I think Selkirk Abbey couldn't help themselves from using a Belgian yeast strain, as I got spicy notes similar to their Infidel. However, the hop character was decidedly different, more grassy and crisp. I'd like to know what hops they used.

At a lower alcohol strength and a more restrained hop character, this would seem better suited for session drinking during the summer than Infidel. Not sure if they plan to bottle this one but if they did, I'd imagine it would be popular.

woemad, Jul 08, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into a Blanche de Namur small pint glass. Pours a medium coppery amber with a half finger off-white head that dissipates to a thin film and moderate lacing. Aroma of overripe stone fruit, bready malt and light grassy hops. Flavor starts with light caramel malt, stone fruit and then devlelops a odd but quite interesting estery fruit component that takes it into a much different orange citrus and grassy hop finish with piney and floral notes. Medium bodied with nice peppery active carbonation. The start is kinda OK, but this really takes my taste buds on a rocket ride with the estery citrus, cherry and tropical fruit flavors in the finish. I could not stop tasting this. It must be Selkirk's yeast that produces these fruit flavors as this is similar to my experience with their Infidel IPA. Whatever this component is, it is very compelling to me for some reason and these are among my favorite Belgian style IPAs to date. Lots of flavor for the ABV, although a bit laid back on hop bitterness.

LiquidAmber, Nov 13, 2014

bigred89, Oct 12, 2014
3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

L: 3.75
A: 3.75
T: 3.75
M: 4.00
O: 3.75

22oz into a tulip. Pours a clear amber w/ a soft off-white head.

Aroma is bready and floral, some fruity esters from the Belgian yeast.

Taste is clean and crisp, floral, juicy. Nice bitter hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel is soft and light, drinkable.

Overall a nicely built, straightforward Belgian IPA.

draheim, Aug 17, 2014

Boone757, Aug 02, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

2dogbrew, Aug 09, 2014

jacewg, Jul 28, 2014
3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

Really nice belgian ipa. Good hearty character. Earthy spicy hopped edge to it. Nice drinker. Could be smoothed out a bit. But a great beer to start off with from a new-to-me brewery.

RblWthACoz, Oct 02, 2014