Monogamy (Sorachi Ace) - Bellwoods Brewery

good

Bellwoods Brewery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

Our single hop series has been a delicious and interesting experiment into the diverse world of hops. Following an identical recipe but only changing one variable each time (the hop) we've been able to study the exact aromatics and flavours imparted by specific varieties. Not unlike the series launched by Mikkeller, here at Bellwoods our Monagamy brews are all about settling down with one love. Yes, when ordering this beer in the brewpub the jokes are endless (ie. “I'm not so sure about monogamy” or “I tried monogamy once and never really liked it” or the oft hilarious “I guess I'll have it because my girlfriend/boyfriend is sitting beside me”) but stop being a wise-ass. Even the polygamous can't deny the allure of this beer.

SORACHI ACE: A distinctly herbal hop from Japan. This version of our popular single hop pale ale showcases soft aromatics and flavours of coconut, lime, and characteristic dill.

(Beer added by: Sammy on 02-20-2014)
Reviews by peensteen:
3.49/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Hazy blonde, one finger of white head, touches of lace as well. Smell is citrusy, lots of lemon, some earthy aspects as well as a bready malt undertone that is in line with the rest of this series, dry hops are at the forefront though. Taste starts out dry and earthy, hoppy with lemony citrus and some fresh cut grass, this also has a big dill pickle like taste that is overpowering and off putting, crisp malt. Lightly carbonated, medium body, decent feel. I did not love this, but its not a drainpour or anything, just not something I would probably come back to.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at the brewery.

The beer has an odd appearance - very different from the rest of the series. Totally opaque - a murky yellow/orange colour. It looks almost solid. Moderately sized white head, good lacing.

Nose contains light fruits and herbal aromas.

Taste has a strong lemon flavour, as well as dank herbal flavours. Moderately bitter. There is an odd flavour that I cannot quite place but that is not particularly pleasant.

Medium bodied, strongly carbonated. A bit oily.

Overall, this is the weakest of the Monogamy series so far. I am actually not sure whether it is the hop, the brewing, or both. But this one does not work for me. There is something strange about it that just doesn't sit well with me.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%