1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Dragoon IPA - Dragoon Brewing Co.

Dragoon IPA
No picture uploaded.

Dragoon Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

This is a true West Coast IPA–it is pale in color, with with bracing bitterness, high alcohol content (about 7.4% abv) and a fruity/floral/citrus hop aroma. It is made from a simple malt bill: North American base and pale caramel malt. We use copious amounts of Northwest hops (Summit, Columbus, Magnum and Zythos) all throughout the boil, with most of it going in within the last 15 minutes. After fermentation is complete, we dry hop it with approximately 1 boatload of each of the same hop varieties.

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 04-19-2012)

permian-boozer, Aug 30, 2014

This is my perfect beer. It is available all over my town but not many other places, and only on draft. Really hoppy, can be smelled from 5 feet away. Sweet, but a bitter wash on the the mouth feel leaving me ready for more. And the last three batches have had an incredible aroma of that freshly harvested hop that gives it the grapefruit/peach/lemon/idunno scent that I really like a lot.

And I have had 4 barrels of it in my home over the last year and still ask for it when I am out dining. What else can I say except I hope you have a brewery near your town that makes these small batches of wonder that don't travel far - I am looking at you Minnesota with your Surly beers!

RockAZ, Jan 06, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +17%

I don't have one in front of me to review right now, but this is a great IPA and I have always been satisfied with it. Tonight (Sept. 21, 2012) they won the "Best Overall Beer" category at the First Tucson Beer Cup and I figured they earned the right of letting people know about it.

DonDirkA, Sep 22, 2012

UlfAndreas, Sep 17, 2014

Smitty1988, Sep 19, 2013

MarcWP, Dec 02, 2012

gir02021, Dec 07, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm a Dogfish Head regular however, this beer has my attention. An absolute must try !!
I visited the Dragoon Brewery here in Tucson and had the great fortune to meet the owners and brewmaster. All are very excited about their great beers. After giving them a look around, I told them that they are in the same position right now that Redhook Brewing in Seattle, WA was 20 years ago. They beemed at the thought !!
Watch these guys. I believe they are going places...

kjloewe, Mar 11, 2013
4.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an amazing IPA. Wonderful smell, hops, a bit of pine but mostly just fresh hops. Taste is just awesome. Clean, fresh hops, not much malt which makes sense since this is their take on the West Coast IPA, which is my favorite style. I put this up there with the Cali big boys. My personal fav is Green Flash West Coast IPA but this is very, very close behind. You have to try it if you like the style, you will not be disappointed. Cheers!

kwc017, Dec 24, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm compelled to write a review for this beer. If you are a "hop-head" and love Summit hops, this is an absolute must for your mouth and your senses. Aroma that oozes from the glass and it's almost hard to decide if you want to keep the flavor lingering in your mouth or swallow for a fresh, new taste. MUST TRY FRESH.

Arizona has few beers to be proud of and this is the top beer made here in the state! A definite West Coast IPA that has a perfect balance of malt and bitter with a smell that will keep your face buried in the glass. Not bursting with fruit or pine but has a super dank Summit taste and aroma. I could drink this IPA until it put me out!

Well done Dragoon, well done.

EyePeeAyBryan, Apr 16, 2013

theParish, Dec 07, 2012

schm1471, Jun 02, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Enjoyed this beer on tap at in downtown Tucson out a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a copper hue with a thick white head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice trail and ending in a solid lace.

S: Hoppy bitter aroma with some citrus scents.

T: Extremely bitter and tart IPA.

M: Medium carbonation and medium body.

O: Excellent IPA – nice and hoppy just the way it should be.

ckollias, Jun 03, 2013

Number3red, Oct 21, 2012

SmLance, Aug 04, 2012

Andrerhausen, Oct 01, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Deep gold appearance, very clear. One-finger thick head of wispy white foam. The aroma is a luscious bouquet of fruity, floral hops. It's intense, yet clean, with layers of citrus and a touch of spice. I am reminded of Alpine's signature IPA's when I smell this beer, some excellent beers to be in the company of. Needless to say, the smell is quite inviting.

The taste seems slightly muted at first sip, but after a bit of warming it really opens up. The malt bill is kept simple on this one, allowing the west coast hops to shine in complete fashion. The nectary, floral hops carry though to a grassy, bitter finish that's very delectable. There are some faint touches of alcohol, bit overall it's quite drinkable. The mouthfeel stays light on the tongue, neither too syrupy nor too thin. Carbonation is spot on.

I am quite happy as I sip on this IPA. The quality and flavor surpass practically any other beer brewed in Arizona. Plus, I like IPA's in the 7 to 8% ABV range without much sweet balance from the malt. It is a quintessential west coast interpretation. I don't always drink local, but from now on when I do, it's going to be Dragoon.

bennetj17, May 22, 2012
Dragoon IPA from Dragoon Brewing Co.