Dragoon IPA - Dragoon Brewing Co.

Dragoon IPA
No picture uploaded.

Dragoon Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

This is a true West Coast IPA–it is pale in color, with with bracing bitterness, high alcohol content (about 7.4% abv) and a fruity/floral/citrus hop aroma. It is made from a simple malt bill: North American base and pale caramel malt. We use copious amounts of Northwest hops (Summit, Columbus, Magnum and Zythos) all throughout the boil, with most of it going in within the last 15 minutes. After fermentation is complete, we dry hop it with approximately 1 boatload of each of the same hop varieties.

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 04-19-2012)

AlexChillton, Aug 08, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

KimberleyD, Jul 17, 2013

tzieser, Jul 10, 2013
3.91/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

this is in the top five Arizona beers and a worthy IPA. had it several times - on tap at Whole Foods in Tucson and Whole Foods in Scottsdale. Consistent with California IPAs, big hoppy beer with pine and citrus notes. Currently this is only available on draught, hopefully they will start to bottle it soon.

ZionNation, Jul 09, 2013

bsnone, Jun 26, 2013

gleemonger, Jun 13, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Enjoyed this beer on tap at in downtown Tucson out a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a copper hue with a thick white head that slowly dissipates leaving a nice trail and ending in a solid lace.

S: Hoppy bitter aroma with some citrus scents.

T: Extremely bitter and tart IPA.

M: Medium carbonation and medium body.

O: Excellent IPA – nice and hoppy just the way it should be.

ckollias, Jun 03, 2013
3.56/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

64oz growler pulled off tap at Total Wine in Gilbert. WTF is up with the proud pricing of growlers at these stores? I was going to fill mine with Santan beer, but nixed that when I realized I could get a fill at the brewery and it would cost less and be closer to my house! Ah well, that introduced me to this little hop-bomb...

A - Innocent looking, pale orange in color and watery up top. Carbonation looks good however. No lacing to speak of.

S - Spring flowers and grass, hops abound! Its so hop-forward though that theres a tinge of that bitter tomcat piss smell, off-putting I know but its the most precise way I can say it.

T - Thank goodness, no Tomcat here! Very grassy, crackery taste with a little sour citrus zing. Pretty good stuff!

M - Very bitter but even finish, warming alcoholic presence but its leveraged in nicely.

O - Hey, in my experience this is Arizona's best done West Coast IPA! Not ready to throw down with Cali yet, but keep em comin...

bambam2517, Jun 03, 2013

FMetzger, May 15, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm compelled to write a review for this beer. If you are a "hop-head" and love Summit hops, this is an absolute must for your mouth and your senses. Aroma that oozes from the glass and it's almost hard to decide if you want to keep the flavor lingering in your mouth or swallow for a fresh, new taste. MUST TRY FRESH.

Arizona has few beers to be proud of and this is the top beer made here in the state! A definite West Coast IPA that has a perfect balance of malt and bitter with a smell that will keep your face buried in the glass. Not bursting with fruit or pine but has a super dank Summit taste and aroma. I could drink this IPA until it put me out!

Well done Dragoon, well done.

EyePeeAyBryan, Apr 16, 2013

arizcards, Mar 25, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm a Dogfish Head regular however, this beer has my attention. An absolute must try !!
I visited the Dragoon Brewery here in Tucson and had the great fortune to meet the owners and brewmaster. All are very excited about their great beers. After giving them a look around, I told them that they are in the same position right now that Redhook Brewing in Seattle, WA was 20 years ago. They beemed at the thought !!
Watch these guys. I believe they are going places...

kjloewe, Mar 11, 2013

This is my perfect beer. It is available all over my town but not many other places, and only on draft. Really hoppy, can be smelled from 5 feet away. Sweet, but a bitter wash on the the mouth feel leaving me ready for more. And the last three batches have had an incredible aroma of that freshly harvested hop that gives it the grapefruit/peach/lemon/idunno scent that I really like a lot.

And I have had 4 barrels of it in my home over the last year and still ask for it when I am out dining. What else can I say except I hope you have a brewery near your town that makes these small batches of wonder that don't travel far - I am looking at you Minnesota with your Surly beers!

RockAZ, Jan 06, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

On draft at a local brewpub, this is one seriously bitter hop forward beer right here. Wow...

Beer is amber / orangish with a little haze, a nice stiff white head that is fed from aggressive carbonation, lots of retention.

Aroma is fruity and sweet with a lot of hops.

Beer is medium in body and chewy from the hop resin, earthy and floral with a lot of bitterness at the back, a very nice IPA and I'd have it again.

drabmuh, Jan 03, 2013

Number3red, Oct 21, 2012

Andrerhausen, Oct 01, 2012

Bagoosh, Sep 30, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +17%

I don't have one in front of me to review right now, but this is a great IPA and I have always been satisfied with it. Tonight (Sept. 21, 2012) they won the "Best Overall Beer" category at the First Tucson Beer Cup and I figured they earned the right of letting people know about it.

DonDirkA, Sep 22, 2012

barter, Sep 15, 2012

MilkManX, Aug 28, 2012

SmLance, Aug 04, 2012

Texasfan549, Jul 24, 2012
Dragoon IPA from Dragoon Brewing Co.