Hello, My Name Is Joe - 3 Sheeps Brewing

3 Sheeps Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  7.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

This is an imperial black wheat ale infused with a custom Sumatran blend of coffee from Alterra, a roaster out of Milwaukee.

(Beer added by: JRO on 06-11-2013)
3.56/5  rDev -15.8%

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%

4.4/5  rDev +4%

Offhand I'm not sure I've had another Imperial Black Wheat. The coffee flavor dominates and that is fine with me! Very drinkable coffee flavored beer - glad I have more in the fridge!

3.41/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with decent label art and unbranded silver pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the always-generous Duff27 and served cold into a stem-snifter in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas.

8.0% ABV. Reviewed live as an imperial black wheat ale per the label. Expectations are average; this is my first beer from this brewery but it sounds nice.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Quarter finger wide head of pale khaki colour. Kind of weak looking. Recedes fully within 20 seconds - and goes to a floater ring within 5, leaving no lacing on the sides of the glass. A darker, fuller, creamier, thicker, more long lasting head is needed to make this a truly appealing head.

BODY: Opaque dark black. Not quite the solid or ink black that would be ideal, but not an unappealing schwarzbier cola black either. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears undercarbonated. Not a fantastic looking brew within the style.

AROMA: Roasty rich genuine coffee bean aromatics. Not as rich or espresso like as would be ideal, but distinct, evocative, and inviting. Wheat when I look for it. A kiss of cream. Hints of pumpernickel dark bread, dark malts, anise seed, schwarz malts, and weak chocolate.

No hop profile, overt alcohol, or yeast character is detectable.

It's a pleasant albeit timid aroma of average strength. I'm excited to try it.

TASTE/TEXTURE: The coffee steals the show - nice lightly roasted genuine coffee beans. It's not the roastiest, richest, most espresso-evocative, or deep coffee profile I've experienced, but it's distinctive and evokes legitimate authentic coffee - which is enough in a wheat ale. The malt backbone feels a bit weak; the wheat isn't enough to really lend this the heft and weight it needs to have an effective presence on the palate, and the schwarz malt is thin and lacks foundation. More thickness and body would do this beer well.

The coffee bitterness does get a bit taxing on the palate as I drink, but the beer is quite enjoyable. I do wish some chocolate or vanilla was present to help lend the beer needed complexity. It's of above average complexity for a wheat ale, but isn't real intricate overall, nor is very nuanced or subtly executed.

It does boast some notable cohesion, but never quite feels like a gestalt whole.

For the most part, the somewhat dry but nevertheless smooth texture is a good complement to the taste. Overcarbonated. Unrefreshing. Could be softer and creamier, to good effect. Effectively put together, but not world class by any means.

It'll please the discerning drinker, but won't impress.

OVERALL: Without the coffee, this would be a mediocre brew, and with it, it's merely an above average one. But at best it's a mildly interesting off-the-beaten-path coffee ale, and can't compete with the big boys in terms of coffee depth, intricacy, or nuance. It's very easy to drink considering its high ABV, and while I'll enjoy finishing the bottle, I wouldn't nab it again even if I saw it on store shelves. An interesting little beer, but not worth going out of your way for. I'd like to try some more 3 Sheeps offerings; this has piqued my interest. Nothing unique or special, though. I'd happily drink it again if I saw it on-draught, I suppose.

B-

4.44/5  rDev +5%

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%