2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Super Brew 15 - S. C. Martens S. A.

Super Brew 15Super Brew 15

awful

S. C. Martens S. A. visit their website
Romania

English Barleywine |  14.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Nerudamann on 04-08-2011)
View: Beers (7) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 38 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by LiquidAmber:
LiquidAmber

2.6/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Caracole small snifter. Slight trepidation here….. Pours a medium coppery amber. A rush of carbonation similar to a soda, that hisses and foams very pleasantly for about 15 seconds forming a very brief (about equal to the life of the Higgs boson) head that completely disappears; nice active carbonation in the glass. Aroma of English barleywine elements, bready malt, dark dried fruit, but with an odd light solvent component. Flavor starts out similar to aroma, dark dried fruit and bready malt, alcohol, similar to a cheap brandy. Finishes with malt, alcohol and a similar hint of solvent. Points off for the soda like head formation, but gets some for very nice carbonation; similarly the carbonation gives it an adequate mouth feel. Similar enough to a barleywine flavor to finish the bottle, but this was a one and done for the oddity and to tick Romania (never one of my expected top beer destinations and still holding that title). Try this if you are adventurous, but don't get your hopes up.
This bottle labeled "Old Superior Ale / Beer With Me", but talks about being a classic barleywine and obviously the same beer.

01-12-2013 05:31:23 | More by LiquidAmber
ChristopherWIU-UTPA

1.25/5  rDev -32.8%

This Romanian Beer is one of the harshest and worst produced beers I have ever consumed, if it were not for beer and man laws that say throwing away a beer is a violation, it would have got the boot. If you want to have a good night, drink a 6 pack (18 once bottles) of this 15% ABV beer rapidly...three things could possibly happen A.) you don't even make out of the house B.) you wake up with someone you don't want too C.) You wind up in another country, with a kidney missing, in a tub of ice. Wait for the hang over...it's a real kicker...

To explain this beer, you ever see a bangin' Romanian chick, yeah you know what I am talking about. Romanian women have that fiery latin culture (only latin country in easten Europe), they have have those looks, and everything else. Well this beer is exactly the opposite, you know those trailer trashed, tweekin', teeth missin' women in the local trailer park type...this is more like those types. This beer will make you do bad things...I swear to god I lost 12 hours of my life after consuming more than few of these...I was in Berwyn and I wound up in Gary , Indiana having dinner with an absulote stranger...

It pours yellow, with lacings, and a petite head, that gives way to filmy covering. There is no specific taste, but the alcohol, it definately has a strong edge, and the aftertaste burns. No redeeming qualities of this beer.

04-10-2014 21:36:31 | More by ChristopherWIU-UTPA
harpus

Alabama

04-03-2014 19:44:54 | More by harpus
JHole

Maine

1.18/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Friend of mine grabbed this beer for me. High ABV and low sticker price were turn-ons. Everything that followed was the bier equivalent to Phyllis Diller.

A} Poured this beer into an Austin Street Brewery Tulip. Amber in colour with anemic bubbles around the edge of glass that dissipated quickly leaving no lacing. Think of Stone Arrogant Bastard. Now imagine the opposite.
S} Smells of rubbing alcohol, apples, sweetness and possibly sweat. Yeah. I think that is sweat. My wife noted that "it doesn't even smell like food!"
T} Full disclosure. I wasn't able to choke down more than maybe five ounces of this "Barley Wine" which is, incidentally, one of my preferred styles. What did assail my taste buds was pretty bad and lock step with the smell. Alcohol and a chemical sort of burn like acetone plus the candy like sweetness. Gross.
M} Mouthfeel was thin, flat and mercifully quick. Might be better to ask my sink drain since it got the majority of the pour but I'd hate to remind it and the associated old world plumbing here on Dow street of this day.
O} Buy this beer. Everyone. It is so indescribably bad that it must be experienced and can be purchased at freaking Wholefoods. You will not be disappointed.

02-27-2014 15:28:57 | More by JHole
Braz

12-27-2013 01:25:17 | More by Braz
humulusphile

1.5/5  rDev -19.4%

12-17-2013 01:15:48 | More by humulusphile
Vixie

1.65/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A beer loving friend insisted I try this, so bought a bottle for me.

Pours gold with very little white head that doesn't stick around long.

This is one time where I am glad I don't have the sharpest sense of smell. Basically sweet with a chemical smell that is trying to dominate the sweet.

Starts out sweet, then a chemical flavor takes over, leaving a nasty aftertaste. Not sure what this is made form, but doesn't taste like anything natural to me.

As for feel it's wet, that's about it.

Not the worst thing I have ever tasted, but nothing about it was very good. Has flavor, but that doesn't mean it's a good flavor. Interesting to try once for the experience, best thing I can say is I didn't go blind drinking it.

11-27-2013 02:17:46 | More by Vixie
beertunes

1.23/5  rDev -33.9%

16.9oz bottle of 15%abv Barleywine for less than $3? What could possibly go wrong? Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clear, clean medium-dark golden honey color with zero head, thus no retention or lacing. Not inherently a bad looking beer (quite attractive actually) but nothing like any other BW I've ever encountered.

The aroma was alcohol, tequila, diacetyl, and an odd honey-like sweetness. I got goosebumps and shakes just from sniffing. The taste was the same, just worse. Butterscotch, sugary-sweetness, alcohol, and that tequila like, component added to an underlying medicinal quality.

The body was thin, very thin, not anywhere near a quality BW. Drinkability was rough, I got through the bottle by drinking quickly. Plus, I hate drainpours. Overall, if you want to look for a new job, but don't want to quit the one you have, give a bottle of this to your boss for a Christmas present. You'll be unemployed in no time! Unless you're a serious ticker, avoid.

11-16-2013 00:55:34 | More by beertunes
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

1.39/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Super Brew 15 has a very thin, almost nonexistent white head and a clear, somewhat bubbly, amber appearance, with no lacing left behind. The aroma is very strongly of alcohol, cream sherry, caramel, and other pungent things. Taste is of cream sherry, very cloying sweetness, figs, dates, caramel, and almost no bitterness to cut the overriding candy sweet flavor. Mouthfeel is medium, chewy, candy-like, metholated on the inhalations and exhalations, and there is a chalky under taste. Super Brew 15 finishes harsh, overly sweet, alcohilic, and after some ounces are drank, undrinkable. Overall, this is bad and undrinkable. I scored it .5 stars.

RJT

07-03-2013 09:12:39 | More by beernads
BrewMaven

2.06/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Saw this in a Brooklyn deli and it said Barley Wine!...???...!!!

Pours deep clear gold with almost no head and the bit that was there vanished in a half a blink.

Almost no scent save for a bit of grain and candy.

The taste is what I'll remember most about this here brew..AGGGHH!!! Candy sweetness followed by a rush of raw alcohol on the finish! JEEZ!. Mouthfeel is on the thin side with cauldron like carbonation.

Not a bad beer if you like playing "Lets kill my liver and taste buds all at once"

06-25-2013 00:51:00 | More by BrewMaven
GraduatedCashew

06-11-2013 17:13:25 | More by GraduatedCashew
craftbeerasian

05-31-2013 00:31:45 | More by craftbeerasian
BubbleBobble

1.55/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

A: Pours a dark, clear caramel. No head after ten seconds, sparse bubbles rising to the surface.

S: The most prevalent smell is of vegetal alcohol. More than anything else, it reminds me of cheap, plastic bottle tequila. It was enough to take my breath away initially (and not in a good way).

T: Not surprisingly, cheap alcohol is the strongest taste. After the initial blast, there is a somewhat pleasant lingering butterscotch aftertaste.

M: Carbonation is small. Coats the tongue like a $10 bottle of brandy.

O: Couldn't make it through an entire bottle. With that said, it does offer a great value for those wanting to get hammered, as I was able to pick up the 500 mL bottle for $2.49.

05-18-2013 22:01:15 | More by BubbleBobble

05-06-2013 03:46:36 | More by azdback
davey101

Connecticut

2.45/5  rDev +31.7%

500 ml bottle into my appropriate Founders 15th anny barleywine glass. Thanks again to match1112 for delivering on my craziest wants. I've heard the reputation of this beer but I had no idea it was hovering around 15% abv....

A - Pours a crystal clear dark brown/orange body. White foam forms quickly but disappears within ten seconds. It looks like a glass of apple juice with rising carbonation. How deceiving it looks!

S - Werthers original mash up of toffee and caramel, burnt malts, and an almost vegetal like fruitiness. Apples? Some cheap fusel booze on the end. Despite coming off as a bit candy like and artificial its not terrible I suppose.

T - Toffee and caramel, fermented apples, and a rough but manageable alcohol bite. It's certainly not appealing or what I would describe as "good" but it is drinkable. Therein lies the problem. It does feel boozy but not 14.9% boozy, its just the richness and sweetness which will slow you down. This is a headache in a bottle.

O - An odd treat from Romania. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, however the booze will creep up on you when you least expect it. A rather unassuming beer with a dark side. The dark side being that it will totally fuck you up. I feel like I could survive the cold war now.

05-06-2013 03:38:28 | More by davey101

04-17-2013 04:03:19 | More by Roberto11232
michijo

2.21/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

Pure Romanian moonshine. I drank a whole pint of it, and though I didn't get incredibly drunk, that time period has a hazy dark quality. I didn't enjoy it. I imagine 2 pints of this would have produced a strong stumbling gait and perhaps even black-out. Luckily I only had one.

I am convinced that they added pure Vodka into this beer. It has a strong Slavic nature of Eastern Europe vodka drinking. I would avoid this one in the future, unless you like the smell/flavor of pure Denatured Alcohol. I am not convinced that this was not brewed in a mountain still by gypsies.

02-22-2013 02:08:57 | More by michijo
Tragyahn

1.35/5  rDev -27.4%

Unfortunately I sampled this brew in its native pint bottle and wasn't able to appraise its appearance, but I digress.

I'm a person who judges beer by its flavor. If you want flashy adverts which tell you what the beer you're drinking tastes like then my review can't help you. I'm a person who judges the beer he drinks by the flavors he tastes.

This beer was the roughest I've ever consumed. I don't say this as hyperbole, but as literal fact. I've drank Steel Reserve, Four Loko, and Joose, but this brew from Romania was the worst tasting slag I have ever had the misfortune of wrapping my lips around.

I drank this beer cold (32-37 degrees F) and it still was extremely rough. An initial punch of brandy was countered by a sudden rush of overpowering alcohol and almost savory bready-ness. The aftertaste is worse than Robitussin, and I was hesitant to take a third sip of this vile concoction.

This beer may attract you with its claims of being a Belian-Quad clone, but in all honesty it's worse than the United States equivalent of a cheap malt liquor.

I would rather drink several cans of Steel Reserve than this swill.

02-08-2013 02:46:01 | More by Tragyahn
t0rin0

12-27-2012 01:13:20 | More by t0rin0
Super Brew 15 from S. C. Martens S. A.