Super Brew 15 - S. C. Martens S. A.

Super Brew 15Super Brew 15

awful

S. C. Martens S. A. visit their website
Romania

English Barleywine |  14.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Nerudamann on 04-08-2011)
Reviews by Nerudamann:
3.63/5  rDev +95.2%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass.

Look - very crisp looking, kind of golden/amber in color. Clear, with about a finger's worth of foam that dissipates very quickly. Carbonation is good.

Smell - very fruity smelling, kind of like a champagne. Maybe a little malty.

Taste and Mouthfeel - still tastes like a glass of champagne, but the alcohol is definitely present. Sweet, and not hoppy tasting at all and only a tinsy bit bitter. A little dry tasting. It really does taste more like a glass of champagne. Texture is pretty clean and well-balanced, but a little more toward the watery side.

Overall - Not a bad brew. Definitely worth a taste, but not my favorite among the barleywines. Not terribly complex either, but still decent.

Nerudamann, Apr 08, 2011

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear body that has a slight hue of deep orange and a fizzy head that boils away before I can set the glass down. There is a racing carbonation of big bubbles that pop at the surface.

S- The aroma of white wine and butterscotch take on an artificial diacetyl aroma

T- The caramel flavoring reminds me of butterscotch pudding then on to the big fusel heat in the finish that has a bit of a permanent marker taste that grows in the finish.

M- The light crisp mouthfeel has a huge burn that makes it hard to take another sip.

O- The artificial flavor mixed with the big alcohol burn really makes this beer undrinkable. It is otherwise very clean and I don't get any other flavors it is rather like a clean adjunct lager with a monster alcohol heat and some caramel syrup added.

rhoadsrage, Jan 30, 2012
2.06/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Saw this in a Brooklyn deli and it said Barley Wine!...???...!!!

Pours deep clear gold with almost no head and the bit that was there vanished in a half a blink.

Almost no scent save for a bit of grain and candy.

The taste is what I'll remember most about this here brew..AGGGHH!!! Candy sweetness followed by a rush of raw alcohol on the finish! JEEZ!. Mouthfeel is on the thin side with cauldron like carbonation.

Not a bad beer if you like playing "Lets kill my liver and taste buds all at once"

BrewMaven, Jun 25, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -32.8%

This Romanian Beer is one of the harshest and worst produced beers I have ever consumed, if it were not for beer and man laws that say throwing away a beer is a violation, it would have got the boot. If you want to have a good night, drink a 6 pack (18 once bottles) of this 15% ABV beer rapidly...three things could possibly happen A.) you don't even make out of the house B.) you wake up with someone you don't want too C.) You wind up in another country, with a kidney missing, in a tub of ice. Wait for the hang over...it's a real kicker...

To explain this beer, you ever see a bangin' Romanian chick, yeah you know what I am talking about. Romanian women have that fiery latin culture (only latin country in easten Europe), they have have those looks, and everything else. Well this beer is exactly the opposite, you know those trailer trashed, tweekin', teeth missin' women in the local trailer park type...this is more like those types. This beer will make you do bad things...I swear to god I lost 12 hours of my life after consuming more than few of these...I was in Berwyn and I wound up in Gary , Indiana having dinner with an absulote stranger...

It pours yellow, with lacings, and a petite head, that gives way to filmy covering. There is no specific taste, but the alcohol, it definately has a strong edge, and the aftertaste burns. No redeeming qualities of this beer.

ChristopherWIU-UTPA, Apr 10, 2014

beerhan, Jan 21, 2012
2.3/5  rDev +23.7%

"Barley Wine Ale" on the label, something was obviously lost in translation here, highly doubt this was intended to be a true barleywine, English or otherwise. It really does taste like a poorly made braggot (mead made of malt & honey), as someone else pointed out. Slim brown 500ml bottle.

Thin loose film of soapy bubbles that clump around the edges of the glass. Second pour from a height produced a finger of super fizzy foam, that sizzled like champagne. It quickly becomes still and glassy, again like a braggot or mead. It's a bright crystalline amber color.

Smell is all honey, fairly sweet and clover-like, no trace of the evil within. Flavor is similarly focused and one dimensional honey, with a slight solventy alcohol note of white grapes. Very astringent and harsh feel that is really the downfall of this "beer". Sharp stinging alcohol, lingering medicinal aftertaste that eventually eclipses the initial sweet honey flavors unfortunately. White wine, champagne, fusel alcohol.

Someone did a bad job of translating (and marketing) this... specifically somewhere between "barley" and "wine" (braggot), but it's no barleywine to be sure. Reviewing it as a braggot, it's still way off kilter and harsh to be a success in that realm either.

Hey at least its better than chugging Earthquake, or Keystones...to da dome.

emerge077, Nov 17, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -35.5%

I found this slender 500ml brown bottle at the Binny's store in Schaumburg, IL for $3.69 - pretty steep for an east European beer. No freshness date or anything about the beer other than to say it was an English barleywine style beer.

The beer poured a perfectly clear pale gold color, but it couldn't even muster up a ½-finger's worth of white head. What head there was fizzled out in less than 15 seconds and left no lacing whatsoever.

The beer smelled grape-y - like a red wine (which I guess is OK for a barleywine), but then there was a heavy candy-like sweetness and heavy alcohol smell under the grape smell.

This stuff is awful! Alcohol upon alcohol upon alcohol. You might as well open a bottle of rubbing alcohol and drink that. I defy anyone to finish a whole bottle of this. Hard candy sugar is the only other flavor. No malt, no hops, no fruit, no anything except sweetened alcohol.

You can't keep this in your mouth long enough to give it a mouthfeel grade. Total drainpour with fairly high carbonation.

I can't believe they charge $3.69 for this poor excuse for a beer. Avoid at all costs.

matjack85, Oct 14, 2011
2.6/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Caracole small snifter. Slight trepidation here….. Pours a medium coppery amber. A rush of carbonation similar to a soda, that hisses and foams very pleasantly for about 15 seconds forming a very brief (about equal to the life of the Higgs boson) head that completely disappears; nice active carbonation in the glass. Aroma of English barleywine elements, bready malt, dark dried fruit, but with an odd light solvent component. Flavor starts out similar to aroma, dark dried fruit and bready malt, alcohol, similar to a cheap brandy. Finishes with malt, alcohol and a similar hint of solvent. Points off for the soda like head formation, but gets some for very nice carbonation; similarly the carbonation gives it an adequate mouth feel. Similar enough to a barleywine flavor to finish the bottle, but this was a one and done for the oddity and to tick Romania (never one of my expected top beer destinations and still holding that title). Try this if you are adventurous, but don't get your hopes up.
This bottle labeled "Old Superior Ale / Beer With Me", but talks about being a classic barleywine and obviously the same beer.

LiquidAmber, Jan 12, 2013

Travisnin, Sep 14, 2012
1.39/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Super Brew 15 has a very thin, almost nonexistent white head and a clear, somewhat bubbly, amber appearance, with no lacing left behind. The aroma is very strongly of alcohol, cream sherry, caramel, and other pungent things. Taste is of cream sherry, very cloying sweetness, figs, dates, caramel, and almost no bitterness to cut the overriding candy sweet flavor. Mouthfeel is medium, chewy, candy-like, metholated on the inhalations and exhalations, and there is a chalky under taste. Super Brew 15 finishes harsh, overly sweet, alcohilic, and after some ounces are drank, undrinkable. Overall, this is bad and undrinkable. I scored it .5 stars.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Sep 27, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had to grab this when I saw it on sale for $3 - how can I pass up the infamous Romanian barleywine that's 15%? FosterJM, I hope you're happy! Tickers gotta tick.

Pours a dark clear gold with barely any carbonation. Doesn't look much like a barleywine - but at least the head dies after 10 seconds and it looks like piss after a night of drinking too much barleywine.

The smell is pretty much just lots of fusels, but it adds to that whole shady eastern European appeal and lives up to my nightmares. Some vanilla and tobacco come out after it warms, but so does jet fuel.

Cheap oxidized brandy and a crapload of stale pale/amber malt, which technically makes it a barleywine I guess. Or maybe bum-leywine is a more apt description. It's hot as hell but in that manly self-destructive way like cheap whiskey, and the finish is all grain and corn syrup.

The mouthfeel is thick enough to keep it from scorching your taste buds, but it feels more like a DIPA than a barleywine. Also, diabeetus.

I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't get even half way through the bottle before a pre-hangover headache started to come on strong and I had to dump the rest because no one could get past the smell. That being said, if I didn't have work tomorrow I'd just have said fuck it and polished it off because it's that kind of awesomely terrible. Plus, in retrospect, I've had American barleywines that were just as bad that spent time in barrels and cost 10 times as much. And it puts radioactive hair on your chest.

afrokaze, Oct 23, 2012
1.93/5  rDev +3.8%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a very thin white head that instantly dissipated, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of alcohol and apples in the nose; however these aren’t very pleasant smelling.
T: Similar to the smell, the beer tastes like high proof grain alcohol mixed in with some apple juice.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. A bit of alcohol warmth is noticeable.
O: I thought that this beer could be difficult to drink based on its high alcohol content, but the smell and taste seem to be what renders it rather undrinkable. I’ve had malt liquors that were easier to consume (and more palatable) than this beer.

metter98, May 03, 2012
2.36/5  rDev +26.9%

Romania. Land of castles. Beautiful, black-eyed women. Dracula. And this beer. I saw this at my local Assi (a Korean super-grocery) and thought, "Hey! Romanian beer!" I had to pick it up. Was it worth a purchase?

Appearance 3.25: Poured out a completely translucent amber color. Very little head. No lacing. Still, it is the completely translucent nature of this beer that is appealing. No floaties, no nothing. A striking look for someone who has seen a lot of beers.

Smell 3.5: Gorgeous bouquet on this beer. Sweet-smelling like honey with a light grain scent. There is also a strange scent of saki about this beer. Very strange, but not off-putting.

Taste 2.0: Front is sweet and astringent with a hint of barley and honey. Middle is slightly sweet with a big wave of acetone. Finish also has a slight sweetness with a caramel-malt flavor. Aftertaste is where a burning sensation spread all over my palate along with an unpleasant acidic taste with a definite coppery twang. Tastes nothing like a beer. This tastes like some kind of "artisan" mead and not a beer.

Mouthfeel 2.0: Too much carbonation, so much so that it burns the mouth. Unpleasant and distracting.

Overall 2.0: Wow, this is a strange brew indeed. My wife said she liked it and thought it would go good with food. This may indicate that the master brewers of Romania brewed this as something with which to seduce a lovely, black-eyed maiden. Regardless, it is a beer that is not a beer (being a barley wine) and holy mackerel can you taste the difference. Sweet, burning, astringent...still, it is worth a shot if you are an intrepid beer hunter and angling for something new. Not every shot hits the mark, folks.

BeerDocT, Jun 02, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -30.1%

This is an english-style barley wine from ROMANIA that's 14.9 %. It tastes both like cardboard and cheap red wine that's been sitting in an open cup for a week, with a nice finish reminiscent of pre-vomit.

I am drinking the worst beer of my life. I can only think of one beer (an infected gusher) that was possibly as bad. I don't think I can finish it. This IS a meaningful statement. I don't even think I have consumed 2 oz of this beer after forcing myself to drink it for an hour ( and my taste buds have been dulled by a couple beers already). It has the strongest cardboard taste I've had the displeasure of encountering. I would even raise that to the strongest wet cardboard a mangy dog pissed on flavor I have encountered in my life. I suspect I am not drinking a flawed bottle.

It really taste like a combo of sake and vomit. It's much, much, much worse than neon-colored wines in the bottom shelf of the cooler, or urinal cakes or most things you can think of.

STAY AWAY!

voteforgoat, Oct 08, 2011
1.18/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Friend of mine grabbed this beer for me. High ABV and low sticker price were turn-ons. Everything that followed was the bier equivalent to Phyllis Diller.

A} Poured this beer into an Austin Street Brewery Tulip. Amber in colour with anemic bubbles around the edge of glass that dissipated quickly leaving no lacing. Think of Stone Arrogant Bastard. Now imagine the opposite.
S} Smells of rubbing alcohol, apples, sweetness and possibly sweat. Yeah. I think that is sweat. My wife noted that "it doesn't even smell like food!"
T} Full disclosure. I wasn't able to choke down more than maybe five ounces of this "Barley Wine" which is, incidentally, one of my preferred styles. What did assail my taste buds was pretty bad and lock step with the smell. Alcohol and a chemical sort of burn like acetone plus the candy like sweetness. Gross.
M} Mouthfeel was thin, flat and mercifully quick. Might be better to ask my sink drain since it got the majority of the pour but I'd hate to remind it and the associated old world plumbing here on Dow street of this day.
O} Buy this beer. Everyone. It is so indescribably bad that it must be experienced and can be purchased at freaking Wholefoods. You will not be disappointed.

JHole, Feb 27, 2014
1.1/5  rDev -40.9%

Damn seems I have all the luck in picking the nasty stuff when I buy something before checking the reviews.

Clear golden colored ale with no head formation.

Smell is quite awful. Malt with strong fusel alcohol, so bad this burns my eyes. Personally if I smelled this in one of my home brews I would give up the hobby.

I am seriously conflicted about drinking this or not, I am concerned I might go blind from Methanol poisoning. Taste is sweet and fruity with a strong burning taste. This tastes like Everclear and apple juice.

Mouthfeel is industrial alcohol.

Overall this should probably be banned from import to the USA. Quite probably the WORST alleged beer I have EVER tasted.

This MIGHT make a good Carburetor cleaner, then again it probably would just screw my Carburetor!

Zorro, Nov 28, 2011

MaxOhle, May 14, 2013

DangerDawg, Aug 31, 2012

Braz, Dec 27, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -5.9%

Sparty55, Jul 24, 2013

Oh my.
How could I resist this thing after I heard about it?!

It pours very light in color and I expected the body would be really clear golden, but it is actually really clear orangey amber colored. Whatever head there was fizzled away virtually instantly.

Smells and tastes of boiled corn syrup, grain alcohol, gasoline, and flowery perfume. A really strange candy-like malt note underneath it all too... Man this is fucking odd. I'm not going to lie-- it is pretty terrible, but it is such a FUN kind of terrible. The nail polish remover really shines as this warms up.

Feels syrupy and oily, lots of residual sugar coating my teeth here. A big heat warms my throat.

Overall-- there is a something about this beer that makes me think of creamed corn and moonshine.
This entirely undrinkable, and yet it was so much fun actually trying this!

AleWatcher, Mar 26, 2012
1.23/5  rDev -33.9%

500ml twist off bottle.

IT pours a clear dark orangeish gold with a fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

It smells like mead, not like beer. I would bet they put some kind of sugary syrup in here to get to this abv.

The taste is syrupy and meadlike. There is some nuttiness, but this is harsh.

This really tastes like a bad braggot

crossovert, Sep 05, 2011
1.35/5  rDev -27.4%

16.9 oz bottle, no bottle date, poured into a silver-rimmed Westvleteren chalice.

A- Pours a perfectly clear amber color, it actually has a color gradient, becoming more clear towards the edges, produces a thin fizzy white head that bubbles away to nothing in about 10 seconds. Leaves no lacing at all.

S- Smells oddly sour, aroma of acetic acid, some acidic sour grape smell, lots of fusel alcohol and acetone and a boiled wilted-vegetable smell.

T- Weird is all I can say, besides disgusting. Instantaneous blast of hot, harsh alcohol, lots of acetone, again lots of weird sour grape and apple flavor and more skunky cooked vegetables as well as a weird sharp sugary sweetness. This is probably the most offensive tasting beer I've ever come across. The sour flavor lingers for a long time, at some point I burped and could just taste more sour nastiness, at which point I almost gagged.

M- Medium to light body, very high carbonation, hot alcohol burn.

O- An impressively terrible beer, there's really nothing positive I can say about this. At the same time, give this a try, it's definitely an unforgettable experience.

WillCarrera, Apr 08, 2012
3.4/5  rDev +82.8%

Straight up pour only a two finger white head that vanishes leaving no lace. Crystal clear amber color. Wicked carbonation and medium bodied. Honey nose and flavor is fizzy honey, looking for hops maybe a hint at finish. Easy to drink but bad example of a barleywine, for about the same money Dogfish Head Olde School is much better. Very high ABV is hidden. $4.50 for a 500ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

jdhilt, Jan 13, 2012
2.03/5  rDev +9.1%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

When I learned of this beer, I had to try it. I mean, a nearly 15% b-wine from Romania, born of some semi-mysterious brewing contest? How could I not wanna try it? It pours a clear amber-brass topped by a tower of short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comes off very sweet, with notes of maple syrup, cinnamon, Belgian candi sugar, light caramel, and a kvass-like breadiness rollicking throughout. The taste seems to bring in more of the same, though the kvass is now somehow roasted; then comes a surge of what I can only describe as bad fruit (and not a particular bad fruit, either, just the vague notion of bad fruit), along with a light-but-still-sharp bite of booze near the finish. It all comes together extremely poorly, lemme tell ya. The body is a surprisingly light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a kinda slick, oily feel. Overall, a bit of a trainwreck of a beer. Would it really have come out any other way?

TMoney2591, Jan 30, 2012
Super Brew 15 from S. C. Martens S. A.