1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Super Brew 15 - S. C. Martens S. A.

Super Brew 15Super Brew 15

awful

S. C. Martens S. A. visit their website
Romania

English Barleywine |  14.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Nerudamann on 04-08-2011)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 38 | Show All Ratings:
ChadQuest

So i saw this at the store, it says "Barleywine", it is 15%, and from Romania...how could i pass this up? it was like $4 and in a green bottle, haha, oh great.
The pour shows a bronze colored beer that is fizzing with carbonation and goes COMPLETELY still in seconds. Not one bubble a second after pouring, yikes.
The Smell...this is distinctly like acetone, spray paint, sweat, and pine sol all in one, condensed into something more awful then the chicago cubs. It is bad enough i am contemplating a drain pour BEFORE tasting it...
I took a sip, about 1oz, and this is not hyperbole but i honestly was close to gagging, there is a sweaty skunked horribleness all over this beer, thanks green bottle and cheap romanian beer. Just horrible skunk and sweat covering all, actually tastes greasy...

I can honestly say i think this was worse then triple bock, and that is hard for me to say. 4oz down and i am drain pouring this.

11-16-2011 05:50:24 | More by ChadQuest
Bendurgin

1.05/5  rDev -43.5%

Joe, thank you SO much for bringing this gem and spending your hard earned money on this. Poured into a chalice. Light golden honey color with no head and lots of visible carbonation. This is the clearest barelywine I have ever seen.

I can't really articulate what I am smelling in a linear manner so I'm just going to list of some stuff.

Honey
Cat pee
Gas
Rubbing alcohol

I shudder to think what this tastes like.
I just tasted this and my fears were realized. Crap. This tastes like crap. Crap mixed with honey, cat pee, gas and rubbing alcohol. With a touch of sweetness to boot.

The mouthfeel is bad, but mostly because this is in your mouth. It's hot and boozey and the carbonation is sharp. Seriously pick this one up. You haven't experienced bad until you've experienced this one. It will change your life.

03-09-2012 04:45:58 | More by Bendurgin
Zorro

1.1/5  rDev -40.9%

Damn seems I have all the luck in picking the nasty stuff when I buy something before checking the reviews.

Clear golden colored ale with no head formation.

Smell is quite awful. Malt with strong fusel alcohol, so bad this burns my eyes. Personally if I smelled this in one of my home brews I would give up the hobby.

I am seriously conflicted about drinking this or not, I am concerned I might go blind from Methanol poisoning. Taste is sweet and fruity with a strong burning taste. This tastes like Everclear and apple juice.

Mouthfeel is industrial alcohol.

Overall this should probably be banned from import to the USA. Quite probably the WORST alleged beer I have EVER tasted.

This MIGHT make a good Carburetor cleaner, then again it probably would just screw my Carburetor like a $10 whore!

11-28-2011 00:22:15 | More by Zorro
JHole

1.18/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Friend of mine grabbed this beer for me. High ABV and low sticker price were turn-ons. Everything that followed was the bier equivalent to Phyllis Diller.

A} Poured this beer into an Austin Street Brewery Tulip. Amber in colour with anemic bubbles around the edge of glass that dissipated quickly leaving no lacing. Think of Stone Arrogant Bastard. Now imagine the opposite.
S} Smells of rubbing alcohol, apples, sweetness and possibly sweat. Yeah. I think that is sweat. My wife noted that "it doesn't even smell like food!"
T} Full disclosure. I wasn't able to choke down more than maybe five ounces of this "Barley Wine" which is, incidentally, one of my preferred styles. What did assail my taste buds was pretty bad and lock step with the smell. Alcohol and a chemical sort of burn like acetone plus the candy like sweetness. Gross.
M} Mouthfeel was thin, flat and mercifully quick. Might be better to ask my sink drain since it got the majority of the pour but I'd hate to remind it and the associated old world plumbing here on Dow street of this day.
O} Buy this beer. Everyone. It is so indescribably bad that it must be experienced and can be purchased at freaking Wholefoods. You will not be disappointed.

02-27-2014 15:28:57 | More by JHole
matjack85

1.2/5  rDev -35.5%

I found this slender 500ml brown bottle at the Binny's store in Schaumburg, IL for $3.69 - pretty steep for an east European beer. No freshness date or anything about the beer other than to say it was an English barleywine style beer.

The beer poured a perfectly clear pale gold color, but it couldn't even muster up a ½-finger's worth of white head. What head there was fizzled out in less than 15 seconds and left no lacing whatsoever.

The beer smelled grape-y - like a red wine (which I guess is OK for a barleywine), but then there was a heavy candy-like sweetness and heavy alcohol smell under the grape smell.

This stuff is awful! Alcohol upon alcohol upon alcohol. You might as well open a bottle of rubbing alcohol and drink that. I defy anyone to finish a whole bottle of this. Hard candy sugar is the only other flavor. No malt, no hops, no fruit, no anything except sweetened alcohol.

You can't keep this in your mouth long enough to give it a mouthfeel grade. Total drainpour with fairly high carbonation.

I can't believe they charge $3.69 for this poor excuse for a beer. Avoid at all costs.

10-14-2011 10:56:16 | More by matjack85
crossovert

1.23/5  rDev -33.9%

500ml twist off bottle.

IT pours a clear dark orangeish gold with a fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

It smells like mead, not like beer. I would bet they put some kind of sugary syrup in here to get to this abv.

The taste is syrupy and meadlike. There is some nuttiness, but this is harsh.

This really tastes like a bad braggot

09-05-2011 02:39:24 | More by crossovert
beertunes

Washington

1.23/5  rDev -33.9%

16.9oz bottle of 15%abv Barleywine for less than $3? What could possibly go wrong? Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clear, clean medium-dark golden honey color with zero head, thus no retention or lacing. Not inherently a bad looking beer (quite attractive actually) but nothing like any other BW I've ever encountered.

The aroma was alcohol, tequila, diacetyl, and an odd honey-like sweetness. I got goosebumps and shakes just from sniffing. The taste was the same, just worse. Butterscotch, sugary-sweetness, alcohol, and that tequila like, component added to an underlying medicinal quality.

The body was thin, very thin, not anywhere near a quality BW. Drinkability was rough, I got through the bottle by drinking quickly. Plus, I hate drainpours. Overall, if you want to look for a new job, but don't want to quit the one you have, give a bottle of this to your boss for a Christmas present. You'll be unemployed in no time! Unless you're a serious ticker, avoid.

11-16-2013 00:55:34 | More by beertunes
AleWatcher

1.25/5  rDev -32.8%

Oh my.
How could I resist this thing after I heard about it?!

It pours very light in color and I expected the body would be really clear golden, but it is actually really clear orangey amber colored. Whatever head there was fizzled away virtually instantly.

Smells and tastes of boiled corn syrup, grain alcohol, gasoline, and flowery perfume. A really strange candy-like malt note underneath it all too... Man this is fucking odd. I'm not going to lie-- it is pretty terrible, but it is such a FUN kind of terrible. The nail polish remover really shines as this warms up.

Feels syrupy and oily, lots of residual sugar coating my teeth here. A big heat warms my throat.

Overall-- there is a something about this beer that makes me think of creamed corn and moonshine.
This entirely undrinkable, and yet it was so much fun actually trying this!

03-26-2012 02:22:36 | More by AleWatcher
ChristopherWIU-UTPA

1.25/5  rDev -32.8%

This Romanian Beer is one of the harshest and worst produced beers I have ever consumed, if it were not for beer and man laws that say throwing away a beer is a violation, it would have got the boot. If you want to have a good night, drink a 6 pack (18 once bottles) of this 15% ABV beer rapidly...three things could possibly happen A.) you don't even make out of the house B.) you wake up with someone you don't want too C.) You wind up in another country, with a kidney missing, in a tub of ice. Wait for the hang over...it's a real kicker...

To explain this beer, you ever see a bangin' Romanian chick, yeah you know what I am talking about. Romanian women have that fiery latin culture (only latin country in easten Europe), they have have those looks, and everything else. Well this beer is exactly the opposite, you know those trailer trashed, tweekin', teeth missin' women in the local trailer park type...this is more like those types. This beer will make you do bad things...I swear to god I lost 12 hours of my life after consuming more than few of these...I was in Berwyn and I wound up in Gary , Indiana having dinner with an absulote stranger...

It pours yellow, with lacings, and a petite head, that gives way to filmy covering. There is no specific taste, but the alcohol, it definately has a strong edge, and the aftertaste burns. No redeeming qualities of this beer.

04-10-2014 21:36:31 | More by ChristopherWIU-UTPA
voteforgoat

1.3/5  rDev -30.1%

This is an english-style barley wine from ROMANIA that's 14.9 %. It tastes both like cardboard and cheap red wine that's been sitting in an open cup for a week, with a nice finish reminiscent of pre-vomit.

I am drinking the worst beer of my life. I can only think of one beer (an infected gusher) that was possibly as bad. I don't think I can finish it. This IS a meaningful statement. I don't even think I have consumed 2 oz of this beer after forcing myself to drink it for an hour ( and my taste buds have been dulled by a couple beers already). It has the strongest cardboard taste I've had the displeasure of encountering. I would even raise that to the strongest wet cardboard a mangy dog pissed on flavor I have encountered in my life. I suspect I am not drinking a flawed bottle.

It really taste like a combo of sake and vomit. It's much, much, much worse than neon-colored wines in the bottom shelf of the cooler, or urinal cakes or most things you can think of.

STAY AWAY!

10-08-2011 05:24:14 | More by voteforgoat
Agold

1.35/5  rDev -27.4%

This beer pours like highly carbonated apple juice. Same color, same soda like head which dissappears immediately, not leaving any evidence of it's existance. The aroma is alcohol and cider forward. That is all. It's lacking character. The beer tastes like they mixed some alcoholic apple cider with a 40 and some cheap vodka. It tastes like freshman year mistakes mixed with frat party jungle juice. So weird. Mouthfeel was deceptively thin because of the high carbonation, but wasn't that bad if given a chance. The benefit of this beer, however, is that instead of being dissapointed with it, I am drunk and disappointed.

06-03-2011 02:13:46 | More by Agold
WillCarrera

1.35/5  rDev -27.4%

16.9 oz bottle, no bottle date, poured into a silver-rimmed Westvleteren chalice.

A- Pours a perfectly clear amber color, it actually has a color gradient, becoming more clear towards the edges, produces a thin fizzy white head that bubbles away to nothing in about 10 seconds. Leaves no lacing at all.

S- Smells oddly sour, aroma of acetic acid, some acidic sour grape smell, lots of fusel alcohol and acetone and a boiled wilted-vegetable smell.

T- Weird is all I can say, besides disgusting. Instantaneous blast of hot, harsh alcohol, lots of acetone, again lots of weird sour grape and apple flavor and more skunky cooked vegetables as well as a weird sharp sugary sweetness. This is probably the most offensive tasting beer I've ever come across. The sour flavor lingers for a long time, at some point I burped and could just taste more sour nastiness, at which point I almost gagged.

M- Medium to light body, very high carbonation, hot alcohol burn.

O- An impressively terrible beer, there's really nothing positive I can say about this. At the same time, give this a try, it's definitely an unforgettable experience.

04-08-2012 05:31:07 | More by WillCarrera
Tragyahn

1.35/5  rDev -27.4%

Unfortunately I sampled this brew in its native pint bottle and wasn't able to appraise its appearance, but I digress.

I'm a person who judges beer by its flavor. If you want flashy adverts which tell you what the beer you're drinking tastes like then my review can't help you. I'm a person who judges the beer he drinks by the flavors he tastes.

This beer was the roughest I've ever consumed. I don't say this as hyperbole, but as literal fact. I've drank Steel Reserve, Four Loko, and Joose, but this brew from Romania was the worst tasting slag I have ever had the misfortune of wrapping my lips around.

I drank this beer cold (32-37 degrees F) and it still was extremely rough. An initial punch of brandy was countered by a sudden rush of overpowering alcohol and almost savory bready-ness. The aftertaste is worse than Robitussin, and I was hesitant to take a third sip of this vile concoction.

This beer may attract you with its claims of being a Belian-Quad clone, but in all honesty it's worse than the United States equivalent of a cheap malt liquor.

I would rather drink several cans of Steel Reserve than this swill.

02-08-2013 02:46:01 | More by Tragyahn
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

1.39/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Super Brew 15 has a very thin, almost nonexistent white head and a clear, somewhat bubbly, amber appearance, with no lacing left behind. The aroma is very strongly of alcohol, cream sherry, caramel, and other pungent things. Taste is of cream sherry, very cloying sweetness, figs, dates, caramel, and almost no bitterness to cut the overriding candy sweet flavor. Mouthfeel is medium, chewy, candy-like, metholated on the inhalations and exhalations, and there is a chalky under taste. Super Brew 15 finishes harsh, overly sweet, alcohilic, and after some ounces are drank, undrinkable. Overall, this is bad and undrinkable. I scored it .5 stars.

RJT

09-27-2013 22:34:45 | More by RonaldTheriot
BubbleBobble

1.55/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

A: Pours a dark, clear caramel. No head after ten seconds, sparse bubbles rising to the surface.

S: The most prevalent smell is of vegetal alcohol. More than anything else, it reminds me of cheap, plastic bottle tequila. It was enough to take my breath away initially (and not in a good way).

T: Not surprisingly, cheap alcohol is the strongest taste. After the initial blast, there is a somewhat pleasant lingering butterscotch aftertaste.

M: Carbonation is small. Coats the tongue like a $10 bottle of brandy.

O: Couldn't make it through an entire bottle. With that said, it does offer a great value for those wanting to get hammered, as I was able to pick up the 500 mL bottle for $2.49.

05-18-2013 22:01:15 | More by BubbleBobble
azjoel

Arizona

1.63/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Looks- Pours an amberish-orange color. Extremely thin and fizzy, like carbonated water. Very clear with carbonation rising to the top. Fizzy two-finger head that dissipates in less than a second.

Smell- White wine, liquor, maybe some sweet malts

Taste- Liquor. Like taking a shot, then some sweetness, then finishes with heavy alcohol warmth. The more I drink the more I get nothing but liquor. The alcohol burn lingers on afterward.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, decent carbonation. Better than I expected.

Overall- I don't really see the point to this beer, unless you're just looking for a buzz. It's probably the same buzz you'll get from any of the popular 40s (OE, King Cobra, etc), similar price, and slightly better tasting. Otherwise, don't bother.

10-04-2011 00:41:27 | More by azjoel
Vixie

1.65/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A beer loving friend insisted I try this, so bought a bottle for me.

Pours gold with very little white head that doesn't stick around long.

This is one time where I am glad I don't have the sharpest sense of smell. Basically sweet with a chemical smell that is trying to dominate the sweet.

Starts out sweet, then a chemical flavor takes over, leaving a nasty aftertaste. Not sure what this is made form, but doesn't taste like anything natural to me.

As for feel it's wet, that's about it.

Not the worst thing I have ever tasted, but nothing about it was very good. Has flavor, but that doesn't mean it's a good flavor. Interesting to try once for the experience, best thing I can say is I didn't go blind drinking it.

11-27-2013 02:17:46 | More by Vixie
afrokaze

1.8/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had to grab this when I saw it on sale for $3 - how can I pass up the infamous Romanian barleywine that's 15%? FosterJM, I hope you're happy! Tickers gotta tick.

Pours a dark clear gold with barely any carbonation. Doesn't look much like a barleywine - but at least the head dies after 10 seconds and it looks like piss after a night of drinking too much barleywine.

The smell is pretty much just lots of fusels, but it adds to that whole shady eastern European appeal and lives up to my nightmares. Some vanilla and tobacco come out after it warms, but so does jet fuel.

Cheap oxidized brandy and a crapload of stale pale/amber malt, which technically makes it a barleywine I guess. Or maybe bum-leywine is a more apt description. It's hot as hell but in that manly self-destructive way like cheap whiskey, and the finish is all grain and corn syrup.

The mouthfeel is thick enough to keep it from scorching your taste buds, but it feels more like a DIPA than a barleywine. Also, diabeetus.

I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't get even half way through the bottle before a pre-hangover headache started to come on strong and I had to dump the rest because no one could get past the smell. That being said, if I didn't have work tomorrow I'd just have said fuck it and polished it off because it's that kind of awesomely terrible. Plus, in retrospect, I've had American barleywines that were just as bad that spent time in barrels and cost 10 times as much. And it puts radioactive hair on your chest.

10-23-2012 05:11:00 | More by afrokaze
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

1.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Joe for bringing this one by. Pours clear and golden, with lots of bubbles racing to the top of the glass, but no head.

The aroma has a lot of honey to go along with bread and alcohol. This smells very sweet.

This tastes like sweet bread. There is some heat in the finish. The taste isn't quite as offensive as I feared, but the lack of balance or much of any beer flavor is disappointing in a beer.

I suppose one could plug the nose and choke this down. Maybe even enjoy it on some masochistic level, but it doesn't deserve high marks.

03-09-2012 04:46:07 | More by andrewinski1
redleaves

1.9/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Amber barleywine? Lots of little bubbles. Smell is of toasted sesame oil and soy sauce. Aka homemade Chinese food...funny because it looks like toasted sesame oil as well. Simple and grainy. Flavor is more the same, not as viscous as I thought it would be. Is that salt? Did they use champagne yeast on this? Hmm, not bad if I was drinking sweet rice wine with Japanese. But I'm drinking beer with sausages, doesn't really work...lightest "barleywine" ever. Very good conversation starter at a party I want to get wrecked at...but so is four loco. I had to try it once. It's like a bad B movie. I gotta see it even though I know it's terrible.

Update: I don't think I can finish this...

01-15-2012 23:14:54 | More by redleaves
metter98

1.93/5  rDev +3.8%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a very thin white head that instantly dissipated, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of alcohol and apples in the nose; however these aren’t very pleasant smelling.
T: Similar to the smell, the beer tastes like high proof grain alcohol mixed in with some apple juice.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. A bit of alcohol warmth is noticeable.
O: I thought that this beer could be difficult to drink based on its high alcohol content, but the smell and taste seem to be what renders it rather undrinkable. I’ve had malt liquors that were easier to consume (and more palatable) than this beer.

05-03-2012 00:57:37 | More by metter98
womencantsail

1.95/5  rDev +4.8%

A rare Romanian tick courtesy of Bobby.

A: The pour is clear golden with minimal carbonation and no head at all.

S: What a nose...Booze and honey immediately hit you and are reminiscent of a crappy mead. Sugary white grape juice is another comparison that comes to mind. Rubber and cooked vegetables are also present.

T: No better on the tongue. Searing alcoholic heat hits you like a ton of bricks. Hot as hell and once again like a poorly made mead. Intensely sugary with a bit of a cardboard flavor for good measure.

M: Medium to full in body with very low, almost non-existent, carbonation.

O: Bad in almost every way.

04-16-2011 21:19:21 | More by womencantsail
Ueberales

Tennessee

1.95/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a hefe glass. Absolutely no head, but the carbonation display was spectacular. It generated a constant curtain of fine bubbles throughout the drinking experience, but a head never formed.

Aroma was very bready initially, but very quickly turned to an overwhelming alcoholic/DMS dominated smell. So alcoholic in fact, it burned a little when taking a deep inhalation.

Mouthfeel was decent. Not too watery, but not very thick. Probably the result of the 15% AVB composition.

Taste was similar to flavored moonshine. No hint of hops whatsoever. Entirely dominated by alcohol. But what would one expect for a 15 percenter? I'm not sure where they got the sugars for the high ABV, but it was probably B infusion of adjuncts. The "barley" in Barrleywine was decidedly absent. A decidedly harsh alcoholic aftertaste dominated the flavor.

Overall, this is probably a one-timer for me. For the price, I had to try one. Let's just hope it's not loaded with fusels for the sake of tomorrow morning. If someone bought one for me, I'd probablly take them up on ity, but I'm not shelling out any more of my money for a second.

It's a great beer if your inttention is to get a big buzz as quickly as possible. If you're lookijg for a quality Barleywine, stick to the proven standards. It is affecting my ability to review as I drink it.

04-28-2012 03:07:59 | More by Ueberales
rhoadsrage

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear body that has a slight hue of deep orange and a fizzy head that boils away before I can set the glass down. There is a racing carbonation of big bubbles that pop at the surface.

S- The aroma of white wine and butterscotch take on an artificial diacetyl aroma

T- The caramel flavoring reminds me of butterscotch pudding then on to the big fusel heat in the finish that has a bit of a permanent marker taste that grows in the finish.

M- The light crisp mouthfeel has a huge burn that makes it hard to take another sip.

O- The artificial flavor mixed with the big alcohol burn really makes this beer undrinkable. It is otherwise very clean and I don't get any other flavors it is rather like a clean adjunct lager with a monster alcohol heat and some caramel syrup added.

01-30-2012 22:26:38 | More by rhoadsrage
TMoney2591

2.03/5  rDev +9.1%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

When I learned of this beer, I had to try it. I mean, a nearly 15% b-wine from Romania, born of some semi-mysterious brewing contest? How could I not wanna try it? It pours a clear amber-brass topped by a tower of short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comes off very sweet, with notes of maple syrup, cinnamon, Belgian candi sugar, light caramel, and a kvass-like breadiness rollicking throughout. The taste seems to bring in more of the same, though the kvass is now somehow roasted; then comes a surge of what I can only describe as bad fruit (and not a particular bad fruit, either, just the vague notion of bad fruit), along with a light-but-still-sharp bite of booze near the finish. It all comes together extremely poorly, lemme tell ya. The body is a surprisingly light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a kinda slick, oily feel. Overall, a bit of a trainwreck of a beer. Would it really have come out any other way?

01-30-2012 00:23:15 | More by TMoney2591
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Super Brew 15 from S. C. Martens S. A.