Super Brew 15 - S. C. Martens S. A.

Super Brew 15Super Brew 15

awful

S. C. Martens S. A. visit their website
Romania

English Barleywine |  14.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Nerudamann on 04-08-2011)
2.6/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Caracole small snifter. Slight trepidation here….. Pours a medium coppery amber. A rush of carbonation similar to a soda, that hisses and foams very pleasantly for about 15 seconds forming a very brief (about equal to the life of the Higgs boson) head that completely disappears; nice active carbonation in the glass. Aroma of English barleywine elements, bready malt, dark dried fruit, but with an odd light solvent component. Flavor starts out similar to aroma, dark dried fruit and bready malt, alcohol, similar to a cheap brandy. Finishes with malt, alcohol and a similar hint of solvent. Points off for the soda like head formation, but gets some for very nice carbonation; similarly the carbonation gives it an adequate mouth feel. Similar enough to a barleywine flavor to finish the bottle, but this was a one and done for the oddity and to tick Romania (never one of my expected top beer destinations and still holding that title). Try this if you are adventurous, but don't get your hopes up.
This bottle labeled "Old Superior Ale / Beer With Me", but talks about being a classic barleywine and obviously the same beer.

1.75/5  rDev -5.9%

1.8/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had to grab this when I saw it on sale for $3 - how can I pass up the infamous Romanian barleywine that's 15%? FosterJM, I hope you're happy! Tickers gotta tick.

Pours a dark clear gold with barely any carbonation. Doesn't look much like a barleywine - but at least the head dies after 10 seconds and it looks like piss after a night of drinking too much barleywine.

The smell is pretty much just lots of fusels, but it adds to that whole shady eastern European appeal and lives up to my nightmares. Some vanilla and tobacco come out after it warms, but so does jet fuel.

Cheap oxidized brandy and a crapload of stale pale/amber malt, which technically makes it a barleywine I guess. Or maybe bum-leywine is a more apt description. It's hot as hell but in that manly self-destructive way like cheap whiskey, and the finish is all grain and corn syrup.

The mouthfeel is thick enough to keep it from scorching your taste buds, but it feels more like a DIPA than a barleywine. Also, diabeetus.

I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't get even half way through the bottle before a pre-hangover headache started to come on strong and I had to dump the rest because no one could get past the smell. That being said, if I didn't have work tomorrow I'd just have said fuck it and polished it off because it's that kind of awesomely terrible. Plus, in retrospect, I've had American barleywines that were just as bad that spent time in barrels and cost 10 times as much. And it puts radioactive hair on your chest.

2.45/5  rDev +31.7%

I bought a 16.9oz bottle of this at Binny's in Plainfield, Il in late 2011 for $3.69.

Pours a clear amber color with almost no head. Scent is floral with hibiscus tones. Taste is rather rough and harsh. It has that bite like a good bourbon barrel stout but is dry and really has a strong alcohol taste to it. Finishes with a slight citrus taste. Interesting style and taste but there is just way to much alcohol in this beer to taste the beer. Great for getting hammered but not very good if you are tasty brew.

1.93/5  rDev +3.8%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a very thin white head that instantly dissipated, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of alcohol and apples in the nose; however these aren’t very pleasant smelling.
T: Similar to the smell, the beer tastes like high proof grain alcohol mixed in with some apple juice.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. A bit of alcohol warmth is noticeable.
O: I thought that this beer could be difficult to drink based on its high alcohol content, but the smell and taste seem to be what renders it rather undrinkable. I’ve had malt liquors that were easier to consume (and more palatable) than this beer.

1.95/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a hefe glass. Absolutely no head, but the carbonation display was spectacular. It generated a constant curtain of fine bubbles throughout the drinking experience, but a head never formed.

Aroma was very bready initially, but very quickly turned to an overwhelming alcoholic/DMS dominated smell. So alcoholic in fact, it burned a little when taking a deep inhalation.

Mouthfeel was decent. Not too watery, but not very thick. Probably the result of the 15% AVB composition.

Taste was similar to flavored moonshine. No hint of hops whatsoever. Entirely dominated by alcohol. But what would one expect for a 15 percenter? I'm not sure where they got the sugars for the high ABV, but it was probably B infusion of adjuncts. The "barley" in Barrleywine was decidedly absent. A decidedly harsh alcoholic aftertaste dominated the flavor.

Overall, this is probably a one-timer for me. For the price, I had to try one. Let's just hope it's not loaded with fusels for the sake of tomorrow morning. If someone bought one for me, I'd probablly take them up on ity, but I'm not shelling out any more of my money for a second.

It's a great beer if your inttention is to get a big buzz as quickly as possible. If you're lookijg for a quality Barleywine, stick to the proven standards. It is affecting my ability to review as I drink it.

1.35/5  rDev -27.4%

16.9 oz bottle, no bottle date, poured into a silver-rimmed Westvleteren chalice.

A- Pours a perfectly clear amber color, it actually has a color gradient, becoming more clear towards the edges, produces a thin fizzy white head that bubbles away to nothing in about 10 seconds. Leaves no lacing at all.

S- Smells oddly sour, aroma of acetic acid, some acidic sour grape smell, lots of fusel alcohol and acetone and a boiled wilted-vegetable smell.

T- Weird is all I can say, besides disgusting. Instantaneous blast of hot, harsh alcohol, lots of acetone, again lots of weird sour grape and apple flavor and more skunky cooked vegetables as well as a weird sharp sugary sweetness. This is probably the most offensive tasting beer I've ever come across. The sour flavor lingers for a long time, at some point I burped and could just taste more sour nastiness, at which point I almost gagged.

M- Medium to light body, very high carbonation, hot alcohol burn.

O- An impressively terrible beer, there's really nothing positive I can say about this. At the same time, give this a try, it's definitely an unforgettable experience.

1.25/5  rDev -32.8%

3.33/5  rDev +79%

Pours a pretty, if typical, clear amber with a respectable off-white head that does not stick around too long. Strong, fruity aroma is more like apple brandy than beer, and packs a punch. Flavor is - HOLY GUACAMOLE, is this beer, or brandy? Alcohol bite is quite fierce, overpowering the fruity and yeasty components. A fine beer if you like brandy, but it packs quite a wallop - this will knock you on your ***. Texture is smooth and fairly fizzy, but the alcohol bite is as fierce as an angry Rottweiler. Fine for barleywine and brandy lovers - this beer is not for the faint of heart!

1.25/5  rDev -32.8%

Oh my.
How could I resist this thing after I heard about it?!

It pours very light in color and I expected the body would be really clear golden, but it is actually really clear orangey amber colored. Whatever head there was fizzled away virtually instantly.

Smells and tastes of boiled corn syrup, grain alcohol, gasoline, and flowery perfume. A really strange candy-like malt note underneath it all too... Man this is fucking odd. I'm not going to lie-- it is pretty terrible, but it is such a FUN kind of terrible. The nail polish remover really shines as this warms up.

Feels syrupy and oily, lots of residual sugar coating my teeth here. A big heat warms my throat.

Overall-- there is a something about this beer that makes me think of creamed corn and moonshine.
This entirely undrinkable, and yet it was so much fun actually trying this!

1.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Joe for bringing this one by. Pours clear and golden, with lots of bubbles racing to the top of the glass, but no head.

The aroma has a lot of honey to go along with bread and alcohol. This smells very sweet.

This tastes like sweet bread. There is some heat in the finish. The taste isn't quite as offensive as I feared, but the lack of balance or much of any beer flavor is disappointing in a beer.

I suppose one could plug the nose and choke this down. Maybe even enjoy it on some masochistic level, but it doesn't deserve high marks.

1.05/5  rDev -43.5%

Joe, thank you SO much for bringing this gem and spending your hard earned money on this. Poured into a chalice. Light golden honey color with no head and lots of visible carbonation. This is the clearest barelywine I have ever seen.

I can't really articulate what I am smelling in a linear manner so I'm just going to list of some stuff.

Honey
Cat pee
Gas
Rubbing alcohol

I shudder to think what this tastes like.
I just tasted this and my fears were realized. Crap. This tastes like crap. Crap mixed with honey, cat pee, gas and rubbing alcohol. With a touch of sweetness to boot.

The mouthfeel is bad, but mostly because this is in your mouth. It's hot and boozey and the carbonation is sharp. Seriously pick this one up. You haven't experienced bad until you've experienced this one. It will change your life.

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear body that has a slight hue of deep orange and a fizzy head that boils away before I can set the glass down. There is a racing carbonation of big bubbles that pop at the surface.

S- The aroma of white wine and butterscotch take on an artificial diacetyl aroma

T- The caramel flavoring reminds me of butterscotch pudding then on to the big fusel heat in the finish that has a bit of a permanent marker taste that grows in the finish.

M- The light crisp mouthfeel has a huge burn that makes it hard to take another sip.

O- The artificial flavor mixed with the big alcohol burn really makes this beer undrinkable. It is otherwise very clean and I don't get any other flavors it is rather like a clean adjunct lager with a monster alcohol heat and some caramel syrup added.

2.03/5  rDev +9.1%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

When I learned of this beer, I had to try it. I mean, a nearly 15% b-wine from Romania, born of some semi-mysterious brewing contest? How could I not wanna try it? It pours a clear amber-brass topped by a tower of short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comes off very sweet, with notes of maple syrup, cinnamon, Belgian candi sugar, light caramel, and a kvass-like breadiness rollicking throughout. The taste seems to bring in more of the same, though the kvass is now somehow roasted; then comes a surge of what I can only describe as bad fruit (and not a particular bad fruit, either, just the vague notion of bad fruit), along with a light-but-still-sharp bite of booze near the finish. It all comes together extremely poorly, lemme tell ya. The body is a surprisingly light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a kinda slick, oily feel. Overall, a bit of a trainwreck of a beer. Would it really have come out any other way?

2.5/5  rDev +34.4%

3.33/5  rDev +79%

English barleywine? More like synthetic linseed oil. Tastes like alcohol and apricot nectar, the cheap Romanian kind. Just a hint of transmission fluid. I am not making this up. Smells like an Oriental market. Pours a clear amber in the Highball glass. A little carbonation on the tongue, but no bubbly head to interrupt the proceedings, which is to transfer alcohol from a former sugar beet processing plant to your brain. Start counting backwards from 100 and see how far you get.

Actually not bad tasting if you don't think of it as beer. Kind of a weird mixed drink flavor, a touch of Campari, some sugar syrup, and those bitters. Should be good with blood sausage.

1.9/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Amber barleywine? Lots of little bubbles. Smell is of toasted sesame oil and soy sauce. Aka homemade Chinese food...funny because it looks like toasted sesame oil as well. Simple and grainy. Flavor is more the same, not as viscous as I thought it would be. Is that salt? Did they use champagne yeast on this? Hmm, not bad if I was drinking sweet rice wine with Japanese. But I'm drinking beer with sausages, doesn't really work...lightest "barleywine" ever. Very good conversation starter at a party I want to get wrecked at...but so is four loco. I had to try it once. It's like a bad B movie. I gotta see it even though I know it's terrible.

Update: I don't think I can finish this...

2.38/5  rDev +28%

Blind Beer #7 from TMoney2591; thanks Kyle. Poured from what looks like a 16.9 oz. bottle into my Gulden Draak tulip.

a - Pours a very transparent orange-yellow color with two inches of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for a few seconds and disappears, and leaves no lacing at all on the glass. Looks like apple juice.

s - Wow, this is going to be an interesting one. Smells of coffee, burnt malts, apples, alcohol, sweet marshmallow, toasted malts, sugar, light fruit, and light wine. Very, very interesting. An odd sweetness to it. Thinking maybe an American Blonde Ale? Not bad, but not great.

t - Tastes of burnt malts, white wine, apples, alcohol, fruity malts, light coffee, sugar, roasted malts, and sweet marshmallows again. Again, pretty interesting. No real clue about this one…some sort of American Blonde ale brewed with apples maybe? Smells a bit too alcoholic to be a blonde ale though, so thinking maybe a Belgian Strong Pale Ale? Alcohol is a bit too prominent for me.

m - Light to medium body and moderate to high carbonation. A touch overcarbonated and some alcohol warmth.

o - Overall the most interesting smelling and tasting beer of the BIF so far. At first I thought it may be an American blonde ale brewed with sugar and/or apples, but I think the alcohol is too high for that. Switching to a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, and would guess in the 11-12% ABV range, but who knows.

And the reveal is…Super Brew 15 from Romania, a 14.9% ABV English Barleywine. Wow, never seen such a light looking barleywine, and never had any that smell or taste like this. Very strong and a bit weird, and certainly through me for a loop. 3/7 on styles, guessing this was a kill shot.

3.4/5  rDev +82.8%

Straight up pour only a two finger white head that vanishes leaving no lace. Crystal clear amber color. Wicked carbonation and medium bodied. Honey nose and flavor is fizzy honey, looking for hops maybe a hint at finish. Easy to drink but bad example of a barleywine, for about the same money Dogfish Head Olde School is much better. Very high ABV is hidden. $4.50 for a 500ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

1.1/5  rDev -40.9%

Damn seems I have all the luck in picking the nasty stuff when I buy something before checking the reviews.

Clear golden colored ale with no head formation.

Smell is quite awful. Malt with strong fusel alcohol, so bad this burns my eyes. Personally if I smelled this in one of my home brews I would give up the hobby.

I am seriously conflicted about drinking this or not, I am concerned I might go blind from Methanol poisoning. Taste is sweet and fruity with a strong burning taste. This tastes like Everclear and apple juice.

Mouthfeel is industrial alcohol.

Overall this should probably be banned from import to the USA. Quite probably the WORST alleged beer I have EVER tasted.

This MIGHT make a good Carburetor cleaner, then again it probably would just screw my Carburetor!

2.3/5  rDev +23.7%

"Barley Wine Ale" on the label, something was obviously lost in translation here, highly doubt this was intended to be a true barleywine, English or otherwise. It really does taste like a poorly made braggot (mead made of malt & honey), as someone else pointed out. Slim brown 500ml bottle.

Thin loose film of soapy bubbles that clump around the edges of the glass. Second pour from a height produced a finger of super fizzy foam, that sizzled like champagne. It quickly becomes still and glassy, again like a braggot or mead. It's a bright crystalline amber color.

Smell is all honey, fairly sweet and clover-like, no trace of the evil within. Flavor is similarly focused and one dimensional honey, with a slight solventy alcohol note of white grapes. Very astringent and harsh feel that is really the downfall of this "beer". Sharp stinging alcohol, lingering medicinal aftertaste that eventually eclipses the initial sweet honey flavors unfortunately. White wine, champagne, fusel alcohol.

Someone did a bad job of translating (and marketing) this... specifically somewhere between "barley" and "wine" (braggot), but it's no barleywine to be sure. Reviewing it as a braggot, it's still way off kilter and harsh to be a success in that realm either.

Hey at least its better than chugging Earthquake, or Keystones...to da dome.

So i saw this at the store, it says "Barleywine", it is 15%, and from Romania...how could i pass this up? it was like $4 and in a green bottle, haha, oh great.
The pour shows a bronze colored beer that is fizzing with carbonation and goes COMPLETELY still in seconds. Not one bubble a second after pouring, yikes.
The Smell...this is distinctly like acetone, spray paint, sweat, and pine sol all in one, condensed into something more awful then the chicago cubs. It is bad enough i am contemplating a drain pour BEFORE tasting it...
I took a sip, about 1oz, and this is not hyperbole but i honestly was close to gagging, there is a sweaty skunked horribleness all over this beer, thanks green bottle and cheap romanian beer. Just horrible skunk and sweat covering all, actually tastes greasy...

I can honestly say i think this was worse then triple bock, and that is hard for me to say. 4oz down and i am drain pouring this.

Super Brew 15 from S. C. Martens S. A.