St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor - Saint Ides Brewing Company

Saint Ides Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 02-04-2002

St. Ides Premium Malt Liquor was renamed to St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor Alström Bros
Ratings: 174 | Reviews: 77
4.27/5  rDev +100.5%

40oz. bottle (yes, I've had the 24oz. cans too).

First off, this is reviewed within the category of HIGH GRAVITY MALT LIQUORS.

Secondly, I'm reviewing this in an attempt to bring the number of reviews up to 10 so that this beer can have a home here.

I'm not going to pretend I can pull a bunch of flavors out of this. It is a high gravity malt liquor. You don't drink it because you are trying to "enjoy" it. You drink this fine beverage to forget why you are drinking this fine beverage.

For the amount of alcohol in this, it is quite easy to drink. Classic malt liquor flavor (probably my idea of the perfect malt flavor) combined with excellent carbonation. Superior holding strength on the flavor. Even when it warms up it is drinkable. Nothing offensive at all about this high gravity. In fact, you'll be more offensive after finishing a 40 of this. Quite possibly the best high gravity malt liquor out there.

1.17/5  rDev -45.1%

i had this out of a 40oz bottle
i thought someone pissed in the bottle and re-sealed it
some chick that was hangin' said "you need to mix that with fruit punch, you don't drink it straight"
i bought some fruit punch and did some mixing
wow, the fruit punch cut the nasty taste and i was able to get through another 40...
next day - my stomach feels like there's a knot inside it - i had the worst craps ever - no mas... ever!

1.49/5  rDev -30%

A - Yellow - gold color with a decent one and a half finger head. Lacing is moderate. A couple large bubbles cling around the bottom of the glass. Decent look . . . hell, if this wasn't a forty, I might even be excited.

S - Corn, alcohol and grassy hops.

T - Corn, musky grain, a bit of paint thinner and glue. Aftertaste consists of offensive chemicals that make paint thinner and glue seem like something to look forward to having.

M - High carbonation, thin body, mildly refreshment.

D - Poor. The little that I had was hard to handle.

3.03/5  rDev +42.3%

Well, the Fogelsville, PA plant (formerly Strohs, and then Pabst) is long gone, and this is now brewed in Milwaukee, WI.

It pours a crystal clear gold body beneath a foamy white head that slowly settles to just a collar but leaves some nice lace.

The nose delivers a clean, moderately sweet malt with a gentle touch of fruitiness.

The body is full/medium, and it's at least somewhat smooth across the palate with a somewhat restrained carbonation.

The flavor delivers a rich, very straightforward, adjunct-enhanced maltiness drenched in one big-assed fat-fingered cheek-pinch of alcohol! There's no fooling with this one, its 8.2% abv is right out there! It's balanced by a low-level bitterness that's almost unecessary as the heat and drying nature of the alcohol seem to have that under control. There are some underlying leafy and grassy hop flavors though.

Overall it's not a bad malt liquor - it's clean and somewhat balanced with a big maltiness upfront; and then a lot of kick behind. Not great, but OK.

2.58/5  rDev +21.1%

A 99cent 24oz. can with a date code on the bottom and a caption that reads: "Hold It down"...wonder what that's suppose to mean ? Anyway, it pours a light golden yellow with a finger of white foamy head. To my amazement, the head had good retention and there was some decent looking lace involved.

The smell is sweet and malty with notes of corn adjuncts and hot alcohol when it warms up. Doesn't really smell all that bad, but it lacks any hop presence.

The taste on the other hand, not so good. Very, very sweet and cloying with a hot alcoholic over profile throughout. Tastes like sweet corn syrup , Nutri-Sweet and malt-beverage like alcohol...I've tasted worse, but not much.

With a medium body and good carbonation, the mouthfeel is pretty slick and smooth with an astringent feel on the tongue in the finish.

Drinkabilty...no thank-you, definitely not for me !

1.66/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The can depicts a pretty effin' viscious wrotweiller biting into a 24oz. can of this stuff, you'd think he'd know better. Well, I can't lie early on in my drinking days I used to imbibe on the St. Ides Special Brews (original alcohol pops) leave me the hell alone Snoop used to sing in their commercials what do you expect from a thug rap loving eighth grader. Anyways on to the high gravity version of this malt liquor it appears a bright golden yellow hue with a vibrant white head leaves fine even lacing as the thick head dwindles pretty quickly. Aromatics...well I can't say this is any type of a beer delicacy very heavy on corn and rice along with alcohol in the aroma not good at all sweet smelling overall I guess. Taste...wow possibly the worst beer or malt liquor I've ever tasted I compare this one to paint thinner toned flavors with very sweet and alcoholic tones hitting you at once seems chemical as a whole no hop profile to be had just pure shit, awwgh cloyingly sweet with a slight metallic layer on the tongue and alcohol remains horrible. Mouthfeel fizzy textured heavy carbonation definitely could cause a gag reflex to occur on the typical drinker. Drinkability don't even rate this brew as an option to grab onto I was in a ghetto liquor malt and grabbed one for fun 99cents well the experiment is over this shit is horrible.

1.42/5  rDev -33.3%

I don't think I've ever had this stuff before, may never again, but supposidly this is the king of ghetto juice. Pours a brownish golden color, no head. Smells a bit sweet, like corn syrup. Taste is quite skunky, high alcohol, like paint thinner and corn syrup. Mouthfeel sucks. Overall it's what you expect, and worse. I've had better 40's before, this ain't one of them. I will now attempt to finish it.

2.43/5  rDev +14.1%

St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor is exactly that. As malt liquor goes it is certainly decent. I thought I was supporting local brewing as the address above is Fogelsville, PA. However, my can reads Milwaukee, WI. This can also reads 8.2% ABV
Anyway... Presentation is a badass black can, One pint size with a mean ol' dog staring you down.

Appearance: Average. Pours slightly orange, clear with a medium sudsy white head. Above average lacing for a Malt liquor. I think it is the protiens that leave the clupmy patches of foam floating around the top.

Smell: Very clean (water) aroma a bit of malt and some alcohol.

Taste. Sugar. Malt. Alcohol. Three words about say all I need to say. There is a bit of grain, corn I'd say, and nice malt and hop presence, but the sugar and malt definitely lead and the hop only balances the flavor in the end. The aftertaste is a bit bitter but other than that it is sugar and alcohol in. Exactly as a malt liquor should be IMO.
{{{EDIT The first time I had this I thought I liked the taste. Unfourtunately I had a 6-pack and NONE of the rest were even tolerable! I don't know what I was thinking but its too sweet even for my sweet tooth.}}}

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, medium bodied. Nice for a cheap malt liquor.

Drinkability: The sweetness is offset by just a bit of hop presence and the alcohol is nice and warming, so I'd say this is fairly drinkable for what it is, if you enjoy sweet malt liquors. The 8.2% ABV will catch up to you so watch out.

---
The first can I had seemed sweet but palatable. The last night I had one as a nightcap to finish off the night (after I was done with other reviews etc.) I was eating a bowl of Chicken and sausage gumbo and took a few sips of the St Ides, I hate to admit this but I threw away beer. It was terribly cloyingly sweet. I have a sweet tooth but this nearly made me sick. So the caution here is drink on a clean palate. Do not mix this beer with spicy food. I thought it’d make a cooling contrast, I was wrong.
---

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

1.87/5  rDev -12.2%

Beer reviewed from detailed notes taken last night. It was the fourth and final beer of my evening and it really kicked my ass. I don't remember getting from the kitchen to the upstairs and woke up in the guest bedroom this morning.

Pours a sticky off-white (orangish) head over a mildly cloudy light yellow-amber liquid. Smells of corn alcohol and cardboard. Uh-oh, I'm gonna regret this one. The head has settled to a sticky thin layer and it's left decent lacing on the inside of the glass. A second smell is like stale bubble-gum. As if you chewed a piece all day, set it on the dresser when you went to bed, and stuck it back in your mouth the next morning. Sawdust dry.

Tastes sweet malty to start, then funky (funk gives me the willies). It's not a phenoilic belgian funk, it's more like a strong version of the hint of funk I find in Oktoberfests. The beer is dry and there is a bit of sweet fruity ester in there. Canned pear syrup, I guess. Md light body and highly carbonated. No thanks.

2.82/5  rDev +32.4%

40 oz. No freshness date.

This beer poured a golden straw color that was crystal clear and very well carbonated. The head that was produced was very large and pure white in color, very think in appearance somewhat sticky and pillowy, it fell rather quick and left a ring around the edges and some light tiny carbonation bubbles on the surface. There was a sticky lace on the sides of the glass. The aroma was simple, cooked corn, grains, some hints of malt and alcohol. The taste had a carbonation bite to it, hints of light malts, some bitterness, lots of cooked watery corn, waves of alcohol were all through the taste, sometimes bitter, sometimes semi sweet, but the constant was alcohol. The body was medium. This beer has lots of alcohol, and once you get by the first few swallows and that corn taste, it is not a bad beer. A good beer if you want a good buzz - cheap. Not to shabby for its style.

3.5/5  rDev +64.3%

Appearance: Tawny golden color, a touch of haze, with a large, persistent white head, lots of sticky, patchy lace, with rings down the glass walls, and lots of fine, slow-rising bubbles.

Aroma: Lots of spicy alcohol, cooked corn, and a subdued hop note.

Taste: Sweet spicy alcohol dominates from start to finish; the alcohol warms the chest quite noticeably. Hidden beneath the alcohol, there is a mild sweet corn malt presence. There is a bit of hop bitterness at the close of the taste, which cuts the sweetness of the alcohol just a bit.

Mouth feel: Smooth and surprisingly full, pleasant, the carbonation is quite soft.

Drinkability/notes: Surprisingly good, malt liquor is considered to be a beverage of questionable repute at best, but this is a fine example of the style. Well worth a try at about $2.00 for a 40 ounce bottle.

Presentation: Packaged in a 40 ounce clear glass bottle with a screw cap, served in a Pilsener glass.

1.6/5  rDev -24.9%

For a 40, it could be worse. Your typical malt beverage orange color, not much head to speak of. Smells a little rancid but you can tell there's actually some toasted malt in there, or some sort of cheap immitaion malt or someting, I don't know how they do it and I don't really care. Taste is a little less pukey than the smell, but really isn't appetizing. My friends convinced me to pound this big boy last night and on one other occasion this summer, and both times I've woken up extremely hung over. This stuff is bad for you. Only drink it if you're in 9th grade. Word.

1.76/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours gold with a thick 3 finger head that slowly evaporates with little to no lacing. The only thing to say about taste and smell is overpowering cider. If not for the that, it might have a decent mouthfeel and drinkabilty, suprisingly smooth for the high gravity. If you like your cheap buzz drowned in ester, this is the best $1.79 you can spend.

2.56/5  rDev +20.2%

not bad at all for a malt liquor
poured a golden straw yellow color with a nice 2 inch frothey white head. The head dwindled moderatley and left no lace
Smell was of corn, alcohol and i detetced a slight lemony scent in the background
taste was grainy with a lemon hint. the alcohol was present and left a slight burn in the throat and chest. problem is at first tase it wasn;t bad but as you drink this beer it seems to get worse. It was creamy and light in the mouth and fairly drinkable.

1.65/5  rDev -22.5%

Clear 40 oz. bottle. Straw yellow in color, with lots of visible carbonation when opened. Smell is of Corny skunk and a large dose of alcohol. Taste is really dominated by the high amount of alcohol and the cheap ingredients that were used to brew this swill (That is actually kind of insulting to swine). A cheap buzz, for sure, but will leave you hungover without fail.

1.38/5  rDev -35.2%

How I get stuck reviewing these malt liquors is beyond me....this drink is rumored to have been Tupac Shakur's favorite.

Appearance-Very dirty blond color, very fizzy head, surprisingly the head sticks around, I'm amazed.

Smell-Actually very clean, a little alcohol, slight grain and hops, nothing else.

Taste-Ugh, alcohol is prevalent immediately, goes down with a burning sensation, but that's not from any hops or malt my friends. That's fusel alcohol.

Mouthfeel-not good, thin and watery, and the awful flavor just makes it worse.

Drinkability-it's cheap but even for a malt liquor this just isn't good. 8.2% alcohol.

Overall-Quite possibly the worst malt liquor I've ever had. Although 2Pac was a great artist he could have had better choice in beer, even malt liquor for that matter.

2.33/5  rDev +9.4%

Picked this up in New Orleans just to try something new. As with any malt liquor worth it's salt this was consumed in a clear 40 oz. Color is macro yellow with a medium fizzy head. Appearance is a little better than some of the malt liquors I've had. Smell is a sweeter variation of what is usually expected from adjuncts. This is the sweetest tasting malt liquor I've had. The taste is okay at first, but the sweetness becomes a little too much after a while. Overall, I consider this average for a malt liquor, it could be better or a lot worse.

2.2/5  rDev +3.3%

I saw that one of the Alstroms reviewed this, so I'll swallow my pride and fess up. I willing bought one of these this weekend while out with some friends. It was reminiscence !
40 oz. bottle. No vintage date (ha ha). Cost all of $1.75 at the gas station. I can't say how it pours because I took it straight from the bottle. Has a dark brownish gold color, like other 40s. Smell is of some strange adjunct, somewhat acrid smell. Rotten brocolli? I don't know. It's not as stinky as some malt liquors.
It tastes like malt liquor. Not good, but then again it serves its purpose. Thin mouthfeel, but very drinkable. The alcohol in this one is sort of covered. Not as astringent as OE or Colt. Syrupy malt dominates, I'm not even sure that hops are an ingredient. Pretty sweet. Didn't really give me a hangover either.
Basically, if you're in the market for malt liquor, this is one of the better ones. If you're in the market for actual beer, you wouldn't have read this review. Now spill some for the homies that aint with us no mo' ...

1.8/5  rDev -15.5%

Good Lord, this stuff is something else. Poured out with little head, and had a strong scent of alcohol and sugar. The brew was far too sweet for me and left me hung over less than an hour and a half later. I would go with any other malt liquor unless you are looking for a reason to get a headache.

2.67/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty darn good for a malt liqour. It has a straw color that pours with a nice creamy head that has decent staying power. It smells of mostly corn and adjuncts. The taste is initially good and smooth but quickly has some bite to it. The mouthfeel is slightly over carbonated but its nothing to be concerned about. It has good drinkability and is great for getting drunk on due to the high alcohol content. I don't care for many malt liqours but I will probably get this one again for when I want to get drunk.

2.48/5  rDev +16.4%

I have a 40 sitting here in front of me and it has a mediocre taste and I doubt very much that I will finish it...but not because of the taste, which is passable...for me, its the ABV that kills this product( I can feel the headache starting already)...Bottom line is nice buzz for the price...but no thanks...

2.61/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This is a relatively flavorful malt liquor beer, easy drinking, and respectable. St. Ides pours a peachy-amber-gold with a white head, of a good inch, with some retention. The nose is stale metal, sweet malt/corn, and fairly strong apples. The taste is sweet, applely, with some malt undertones. It is decent tasting and the mouthfeel is fulfilling. The high alcohol content is not noticeable. Again, this beer is not BA worthy but it is a good malt liquor beer. This is a “getting drunk” beer. If that is what you are looking for then… have at it.

I have no need to drink it again.

3.82/5  rDev +79.3%

Whew! what a relief, I thought that this review was going to be a real chore. St. Ides Malt Liquor is rather good and no unpleasantness either. Took mine from a clear glass 40oz and not a hint of skunk. St. Ides also carries the 8.2% alcohol by volume well, no burning or sharp taste whatsoever.

Starts with a soft malt then changes to a not too unpleasant sweet corn that is just a bit sticky. Aftertaste is mostly silky alcohol overtones. I have been through some real brewing alchemists nightmares, thankfully St. Ides was not one of them.

2.61/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

as far as malt liquors go, this one is not too bad. poured in a glass, it looks great... dark gold, nice big foamy head. it doesn't have too much of the obnoxious adjunct aroma that other high gravity brews have either. it tasted pretty sweet also, which makes it slide down rather smoothly. there is nothing too harsh about this malt liquor other than the alcohol presence, but what the hell do you drink malt liquors for anyway? if you like your buzzmaker sweet and smooth, st. ides is the ticket. otherwise drink at your own discretion, and give your car keys to someone sane.

2.3/5  rDev +8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Golden straw, almost no head. Moderate carbonation. Smells sweet with hint of alcohol and cooked corn. Somewhat malty with weak hop bitterness that doesn't take your attention away from the fact that this beer tastes like stale corn on the cob. Spicy alochol quality. Decent to get drunk, not a good sippin brew.

St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor from Saint Ides Brewing Company