1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor - Saint Ides Brewing Company

St. Ides High Gravity Malt LiquorSt. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor

awful

poor

Saint Ides Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.20% ABV

St. Ides Premium Malt Liquor was renamed to St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor.

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-04-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor Alström Bros

longbongsilver, May 09, 2013

1.75/5  rDev -19%

orangesol, Mar 08, 2013

CoryR, Mar 04, 2013
2.73/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a 4-pack of 16 oz. cans for $3.50. Best by date of July 8, 2013 stamped on the bottom of the can.

A: Doesn't look too bad for a malt liquor, actually. Clear golden color with a decent sized white head that maintains it size for awhile.

S: Smell is almost non-existent. There's a grainy, grassy smell and a fairly harsh astringency.

T: Not the worst beer I've ever had. It's actually pretty damn good for a malt liquor. Tastes like a standard adjunct (corn, grass, husky grains, metallic bitterness) with a huge kick of fusel alcohol at the end, as many other malt liquors have. Shrug. Not horribly offensive, but not something I would say I enjoy.

M: This beer is a bit thicker and smoother than other malt liquors I've had. The carbonation isn't as abrasive, either. Mouthfeel is actually pretty decent here.

O: Not a horrible beer for the price, and it will definitely get you drunk. If you're in the mood to get shitfaced and happen to see this sitting in the cooler, I'd say have a go at it. It's a pretty legendary brew and everyone will think you're O.G. if you drink it...just sayin. Also, beware, this brew is for advanced drinkers only. Treat this beer with the utmost respect because you'll pay dearly if you don't.

RIP Tupac

rderedin, Feb 02, 2013
2.5/5  rDev +15.7%

cyrushire, Feb 01, 2013
2.9/5  rDev +34.3%

I went to the local Stewarts down the road after class to get a drink to start me off for a night of monopoly with a friend, and as I was walking to the store I was mentally weighing the positives and negatives of buying the usual suspects. Big Bear or Olde English? When I walked to the cooler, though, I was shocked to see this beauty!!! At the price of an Olde English (about 3.60 and change), I could be swilling 8.2 percent malt liquor!

I was ecstatic as I brought my new drink to the counter, barely able to control my excitement long enough to get out the door with the cap intact on the bottle. I took a back-way to my buddy's house, deciding to sample this 40 the right way: in public, while walking in the shadows of a ghetto neighborhood.

My first impression as I twisted the cap was that this thing was no joke. The cloudy appearance should have given it away, but this thing is packing some heat, and the smell really lets you onto just how much business this thing is packing.

The taste was pretty satisfying, once you got past the initial shock of the sheer amount of alcohol this thing contains, with some pleasant notes of sweet grass and toasty grains, with a slight musky flavor as others have noted.

The mouthfeel was on par with other 40's I have had, with the slipperyness and astringency expected from the high potency in this particular malt liquor.

Overall, I would highly recommend this brew to anyone who needs to get a great buzz going on a budget. It is by far the most economical beverage I have seen (although Big Bear and Natty Daddy are close up there.) The taste is pretty decent. I suggest drinking this outside in the winter for premium flavor.

chugalug40oz, Jan 28, 2013

vicsju1991, Jan 26, 2013

spycow, Jan 17, 2013

t0rin0, Dec 27, 2012
2.25/5  rDev +4.2%

whatyousay, Dec 26, 2012
2.93/5  rDev +35.6%

Served in a 40 oz. bottle in a brown paper bag in a strip club parking lot.
A- couldn't see it through the brown paper bag
S- smelled like a blackout
T- caramel, stripper biscuit, elderberries, asphalt, no grapefruit, slightly boozy
M- felt like vomit before it comes up
O- it lives up to the hype, but only if you can find it extremely unfresh

GuyIncognito, Dec 20, 2012

micahmye, Dec 10, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -5.1%

22oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It is a beautiful golden beverage. A shy inch of white head was seen out of the corner of my eye.

S - It smells skunked. I get a little grain and alcohol.

T - It tastes like Ice Cube smacked me in the mouth.

M - Thin but velvety smooth.

O - I have to Bow Down to this malt liquor. It'll make you Check Yo Self. You don't have to be Men of Steel or Natural Born Killaz to enjoy this beer. Stay True to the Game and You Can Do It. All you have to do is Do Ya Thang. Really Doe.

buschbeer, Oct 25, 2012