Wasatch Polygamy Porter - Utah Brewers Cooperative

Wasatch Polygamy PorterWasatch Polygamy Porter

Utah Brewers Cooperative visit their website

American Porter |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wasatch Polygamy Porter Alström Bros

4.68/5  rDev +42.2%

4.6/5  rDev +39.8%

4.33/5  rDev +31.6%

Appearance - Very dark and brownish in color.

Smell - Smells as if there are deep aromas of coffee and an espresso flavor.

Taste - Smokey with some coffee flavoring in it. Great to have with a cigar in a hot tub after a long day of skiing in the mountains of Utah!

Mouthfeel - Little carbonation - heavy drink.

Drinkability - Drank a ton in the hot tub!\

Note - I had this both out of a bottle and on tap - draught is better!

4.28/5  rDev +30.1%

4.23/5  rDev +28.6%

This pour had a dark brown body with a rich, creamy, one inch head. Light roasted, earthy scent. Taste was as I expected; smooth roasted brown malts. Very light mouth feel and reminiscent of Guinness draft. I could have more than a few of these. An all around great porter that I was glad to run into.

4.18/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pils glass.

A-black walnut and a tan head

S-toast, roast, smoky

T-biscut flavor, almost a mesquite smoke aftertaste

M-medium

D-Truth be told, only got this beer for the name and I was in Utah. After having a lot of crumby beers earlier in my visit, I was very suprised by this beer. It was quite flavorful and the smokiness is very unique. I did as the label told, "why have just one".

4.13/5  rDev +25.5%

A big thanks to Amanda for this extra!

Poured deep brown in my Duvel tulip. An impressive off-white head sat 2" high and offered large rings of lace. Deep garnet hues in the light. The aroma was somewhat odd. Metallic and perfumey, it kind of reminded me of a horribly infected beer by Cooperstown Brewery. But there was an underlying sweetness and touch of coffee and chocolate that was its saving grace. The flavor, however, is quite nice. Well balanced caramel and biscuity sweetness with a smooth, coffeelike roast. Hint of tanginess in the finish. Incredibly smooth, the carbonation is nearly perfect. Could use a bit more of a body, as the combination of flavors and texture is still leaving this a bit thin. However, it is light and refreshing and I would drink this incessantly. Thanks again, Amanda!

4.11/5  rDev +24.9%

I was recently in Salt Lake City Utah. On my flight back home I stopped in an airport bar. They had this beer on nitro-tap. It was dark with a real nice head. The smell was strong but smelt very good. The taste was excellent. I will definitely drink this beer again.

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

Clear dark red colored beer with a small tan head.

Smells of sweet malt and smoke, distinct toffee candy smell. Slight coffee aroma but really this is more small candy maker caramel and less patent malt.

Starts out smoky and pleasant, tastes drier than it smells. Keeps hitting the smoke and artisan caramel flavors. Quite tasty and a smoked porter by taste.

Mouthfeel is light, Blame the Utah 4% on tap only laws for brewing all their beers dry.

Still this is a mighty tasty "light Porter" not really a style but an accurate description.

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

This was available on tap when I visited Squatters Pub and Brewery and how could I pass this up? I remember when they advertised it on a local billboard several years ago, leading to a huge outcry and really putting them on the map.

It had a foamy, light-tan head upon arrival. The color was a deep, dark-brown with ruby highlights. The nose was roasty and chocolaty. The mouthfeel was very effervescent, creating a tingling sensation on the tongue. I got a light chocolate/charcoal taste on the tongue. The finish had a lingering chocolate flavor. I ended up just having one but only because I did not have multiple wives to take some home to, plus the Provo Girl had been crooking her index finger in my direction for some time up to that point ...

4.08/5  rDev +24%

This beer brought to me by Scott Unrien and Judy Katz after another one of his daring adventures across uncharted America. (oh, and there was a wedding too)

Appearance: This beer pours a delicious chocolate black color. The head rises during the pour, but fades quickly to a low center lilypad and big bubbled ring around the edge.

Smell: It has a salty, smoked meat/cheese smell. When you agitate it a bit, you get a caramel sweet odor, but it mostly a dry, salty presence.

Taste: The sweet, malty flavor is strong at this beer's onset. Soon after, the smoked flavors begin pouring in. It is a very complicated and full flavor, inviting the tongue and mouth for second and third sips. The aftertaste reminds me of roasted almonds. It lasts for a significant amount of time. Somewhere in there, I get awkward hints of Teriyaki sauce. Oh nevermind, thats what I had for dinner.

Mouthfeel: The body is much lighter than the flavor. I would have thought a much fuller, thicker body would be necessary to carry this much flavor. I have decided that it is to this beer's advantage that it is light, but only in terms of drinking a third or fourth. However...

Drinkability: I'm not sure if this flavor is one I'd want to use for a long beer drinking session. The body is fitting for high drinkability, but the flavor asks too much. On the flip side, I would drink this beer again in a heartbeat, and I could imagine starting a session with this beer and following it with some less complicated flavors.

Wasatch Polygamy Porter from Utah Brewers Cooperative