Wasatch Polygamy Porter - Utah Brewers Cooperative

Wasatch Polygamy PorterWasatch Polygamy Porter

Utah Brewers Cooperative visit their website

American Porter |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wasatch Polygamy Porter Alström Bros
firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
3.94/5  rDev +20.1%

Had off the nitrous tank at the airport Squatter’s location. From what I’ve seen of the other reviews, perhaps this is the way to serve it. The labeling and tap handle had a lucky guy with seven ladies. I wonder if the mormon folks think that this is funny?

Poured a pitch black with absolutely no light coming through. Very small amount of tendrils of carbonation were lifting up along the edges of the pint glass, but it had an ultra creamy dark tan head that left excellent lacing throughout the pint.

Light aroma of toasted and bitter malts.

A medium-heavy brew, it had a nice round and creamy flavor profile. There was an initial wash of mocha coffee and light bitter chocolate. It finished lightly sugary, with a sweet and dry finish. Not as complex as it could be, but definitely well done.

After reading the other reviews, I’m pretty happy that I didn’t buy a sixer to go, since the bottle version doesn’t even sound like the beer that I had. However, it was damn tasty and could easily become a heavy drinkin’ session brew. If I went back out west, I’d be looking for this one on tap.

3.17/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a hyper clear light maroon with some brown swirls and a thin tan head. Leaves no appreciable residue or lace.
Aroma has a moderate amount of roasted and toasted malt aroma with a faint bit of caramel and nuts in the background. No real bittering present.
Flavors are pretty weak but some chocolate, roasted flavor and just a hint of grain are present. Pretty flacid flavor wise.
Mouthfeel is very thin and light, no real meat on the bone.
Drinkability is slightly above aveage but this one is more about marketing than anything.

Editor's note - had this one 4-5 years ago and thought it was a pretty good beer. amazing to try again after my palate has hit so many other great beers and see that is doesn't really stack up.

3.01/5  rDev -8.2%

Great name, bad beer. That was the impression from my sample.

Mine was brought back from Park City by Nancy and Joe. Thanks guys.

Sample poured a deep brown color; almost black but with ruby highlights. It poured with little to no head and left no signs of lacing.

The aroma was decent, had a faint whisper of burnt malts and a bit of toffee.

The taste was slightly stringent and annoying, left a lingering bitterness that did not find a balance.

The beer was medium bodied and would be rather drinkable despite some of the unpleasant flavors.

3.72/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Deep brown, almost black. It has dark reddish highlights when held up to the light.

Smell - There is a strong roasty and coffee aroma. Smells good and appealing.

Taste - Espresso and burnt coffee come to mind upon taking the first sip. This seems a little over the top for a porter, but it is acceptable. It has a good bitter aftertaste. It is almost smoky flavored.

Mouthfeel - The body on this beer is heavy. It is appropriate to the style. Good carbonation. No flaws to speak of.

Drinkability - Enjoyable, but the roasted malts almost seem to be overdone.

Comments - Sampled in a flight of ten beers at the Salt Lake City International Airport Squatters Pub Brewery location. There is a possible off-flavor (smoke) hidden in this beer. There is also a "gap" in the flavor somewhere between mid-mouth and aftertaste where I don't detect much of anything in the way of flavor. Odd.

4.02/5  rDev +22.6%

This beer brought to me by Scott Unrien and Judy Katz after another one of his daring adventures across uncharted America. (oh, and there was a wedding too)

Appearance: This beer pours a delicious chocolate black color. The head rises during the pour, but fades quickly to a low center lilypad and big bubbled ring around the edge.

Smell: It has a salty, smoked meat/cheese smell. When you agitate it a bit, you get a caramel sweet odor, but it mostly a dry, salty presence.

Taste: The sweet, malty flavor is strong at this beer's onset. Soon after, the smoked flavors begin pouring in. It is a very complicated and full flavor, inviting the tongue and mouth for second and third sips. The aftertaste reminds me of roasted almonds. It lasts for a significant amount of time. Somewhere in there, I get awkward hints of Teriyaki sauce. Oh nevermind, thats what I had for dinner.

Mouthfeel: The body is much lighter than the flavor. I would have thought a much fuller, thicker body would be necessary to carry this much flavor. I have decided that it is to this beer's advantage that it is light, but only in terms of drinking a third or fourth. However...

Drinkability: I'm not sure if this flavor is one I'd want to use for a long beer drinking session. The body is fitting for high drinkability, but the flavor asks too much. On the flip side, I would drink this beer again in a heartbeat, and I could imagine starting a session with this beer and following it with some less complicated flavors.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

Had this one before. By far the “mildest” porter I’ve ever had at 4% ABV. The bottle is hilarious, and the slogan “Why have just one?” is even better. But I think I have an answer to that question…

AROMA: If I didn’t know better, I’d say I was smelling a Vienna Style Lager like Edgar from Ft. Collins. Dark malt with almost NO roastiness or toastiness. Wondering if there’s a correlation between the roasted malt quality and alcohol content (meaning that maybe with the law saying that this can’t be above 4%, they did this on purpose).

APPEARANCE: Dark brown with ruby brown highlights when held to the light. Head forms well, and reduces to a thin cap with not much lacing. Medium tight bubbles; tan in color.

FLAVOR: Yeah, that’s what I thought – the first taste that comes to mind is WATER. (Sorry, Wasatch – at least it’s a clean water.) After that, the roasted malt rears its ugly head, but only slightly. Instant coffee and chocolate milk are in there somewhere, too. Finish is somewhat sweet, but really, this tastes like it could have been a good porter before they dumped all that water into the finished product. Maybe that’s how they did it – they brewed a decent porter, measured the ABV, and added water until they got it down to Utah state regulations. Sure tastes like it.

MOUTHFEEL: Somewhat fizzy, but smooth. Not unlike a good root beer.

DRINKABILITY: Pretty good, actually. Wish this tasted better because it sure goes down smooth.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: By far the most watered down beer I’ve ever had. Seems to me that they need to go to England and learn what a good mild is like and try to recreate that for their <4% brews in the Beehive State instead of just adding water to what would have been a pretty darn good beer otherwise.

“Why have just one?” Got a better one for you… why have one in the first place?

3.9/5  rDev +18.9%

Thanks to Kpitz for the gift of this beer. This light brown porter has a nice smooth roasted aroma. For a 4 percent beer this actually tastes quite good, has a fullness to it but does need more body. What it does lack in body it makes up for in flavor and drinkability. Finishes nice and dry. A good summertime porter.

3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Thanks to Kevin (kmpitz2) for bringing this treat back from that distressed state that we call "Utah". It pours a deep ruby red that barely lets any light through with three fingers of tan foam that die off quickly. There's a bit of lacing on the glass. The smell is fairly light, and only has a bit of roasted malt to it. Not too much going on. The taste is kinda one dimensional as well. I taste some burnt malt, but that's about it. A little bit of sweetness on the finish. No off flavors at least. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and relatively smooth. The drinkability is pretty good as well. Thanks again to Kevin for bringing this from afar.

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

Black with hints of ruby red coming through on the sides...small off white head that doesn't stick around very long. Subtle roasted cocoa with a bit of molasses and grainy tones.

Burnt grains, cocoa, hints of roasted coffee and molasses roll across my tongue. A bit of hop biterness might be hiding in the back. Overall it's a decent porter, straight up, no frills.

Mouthfeel is light and a bit over carbonated for my tastes. I could have another one of these if it was in front of me as it's tasty and easy to quaff. Bottle states, "Bring Some Home for the Wives!" Thanks to kmpitz2 for bestowing this brew upon me.

3.3/5  rDev +0.6%

This was the first beer I tried on my tour through Utah a few weeks ago. How could I pass up the ber with a name like this? "Why have just one?" and "Bring some home to the wives" appear on the label, so obviously someone out there has a good sense of humor. Also, calling this beer a porter showed their sense of humor as well.

The beer pours a medium brown color with 3 fingers of head. The color is too light in my mind and the head is too explosive for a porter. The nose is really sweet, with notes of brown sugar and some light coffee as well. The flavor is more robust than the nose would tell you, with a heavy brown sugary sweetness with a slight coffee finish. This beer is a little too easy drinking for my taste in a porter. I have to take the 4%ABV limit into consideration when I look at any of the Utah beers, but this one lacks for the style. I think if this were a brown ale, it would be better and get higher marks, but who would want to buy Polygamy Brown Ale? The beer is worth trying, but one bottle was enough for me. I brought a 6er home with me just for novelty sake to hand out to the friends.

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

This might be the first beer everybody thinks of when they think of Utah beers. Do you get it? Polygamy...Mormons! Okay that's obvious. "Why have just one," is a great slogan though. I just wish the beer was better so I would feel like having more than just one. Anyway, I digress, to the review...
Pours a reddish brown, that lets a fair amount of light through. Rather light for a porter. Head is creamy light tan.
Smells of light roasted malt with an artificial sweetness (think mediocre coffee with a spoonful of nutrasweet). Faint metallic notes as well.
Tastes much like it smells with a little more roastiness and a modest dollop of chocolatey sweetness. Finish is slightly bitter. Feel is a little thin--especially for a porter. Goes down easy enough. Not as good as King's Peak Porter (the other UT porter).

3.31/5  rDev +0.9%

The name was interesting and comical. The beer was much less interesting.

Poured nice dark brown. Just a hint of light. Head was a little weak but not bad. Nose was not very strong. Probably because the brewer is forced to hold back on ingredients to keep the alchohol down. Taste just was not dark, coffee-like, or chocolaty enough for me. Still pretty drinkable; just low on flavor compared to the worldclass stuff out there. Sorry, I must compare.

3.6/5  rDev +9.8%

Got this straight from Wasatch Brewery in Park City. First of all, I fell bad for any beer lover that lives in Utah. I searched high and low for some decent stuff and it is utterly impossible. Anyways, this has a typical porter appearance and smell but nothing more than average. The head had little retention. The taste was pretty decent. It had a nicely toasted malt taste and was not too dry. Hints of coffee, nut, and toffee were present but much in the background. A very easy drinker if you are in to Porters. I honestly only got this for the sweet label on the bottle. "Why have just one"

3.36/5  rDev +2.4%

Dark root beer brown with a great all over the place creamy tan skuz and lacing leggings. Nose is a tad on the weak side, with only some faint spicy vanilla and sweet malts.

Taste, too, is smooth, but weak. Dry roasted notes on the close. Medium carbonation, sort of shallow. Altogether drinkable, however.

4.02/5  rDev +22.6%

Clearish mahogany brown color, thin off- light brown head that lifted quickly away, lacing in minimal spots. Aroma is of choclate milk that has just enough touch of toasted/roasted grainy malts underneath to give it some complexity. Taste is mostly chocolatey with a favorable milky flavor that has a nutty toastyness within some of the finish that I really liked. There's a bit of roasted coffeeness to it too thats mellow on the bittering and keeps the chocolate tones from going into something maybe a bit to much. The feel is what lacks within, a bit thin throughout, clean and dry finish thats not bad, actually quite good, it just needs some body with a bit of heft and some creamyness. Still enjoyed the hell out of this beer while in my hiking and camping days in Utah. Maybe because I was really thirsty that I reviewed with such high numbers, but sometimes its just about that. During my ten days in Utah I had quite a few stinker beers and this wasn't one of them. Call me crazy or thirsty, its not bad at all.

3.14/5  rDev -4.3%

Clear deep bister hue. Mountainous, uniform, dense, steadfast beige head leaves lace. Meager whiff of black patent upfront in aroma is ensued by non descript, vaguely floral hops. Trace caramel hints. Vapid in character aromawise. Flavorwise, the dominant malt character is dark lovibond crystal malt with a burnt black malt edge. Mellow, bittersweet dark chocolate presence. Intially obtrusive metallic twang fades as the beer breathes into a subtle earthy hop note. Nearly devoid of yeast esters, save an underwhelming, but complementary hint of prune. Moderate in hop bitterness, and well balanced with residual sweetness. Surprisingly dextrinous in mouthfeel considering the strength, and nearly velvety. Finishes sparse in flavor, with fleeting hints of acidic dark malts. A decent porter that would make a fine, albeit unremarkable session brew. Not at all a beer to be savored, though.

3.7/5  rDev +12.8%

Tasted on Tap in Park City. Dark brown color. Small head. Aroma is chocolate. A medium bodied porter. Deeply roasted malts. Chocolate and coffee flavors. Dry spicy hops. Full flavor. Good balance. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is dry. Nice porter.

2.56/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Considering the name and the bottle design with the guy and group of women and phrase “Why have just one?” this has got to be the funniest beer I’ve ever had. Pours a deep brown ruby color with a moderate light tan head that has a nice retention. Nose has some notes of sweet caramel malts blended with some charred grains and sour day-old coffee grounds. Fairly thin in body and a bit watery. Taste is also a bit subdued with notes of sweet roasted malt, caramel, and toffee followed by some astringent notes of grain husk. Because of the novelty of the beer, I’m glad that I had the chance to sample it. Thanks to my friend (and hopefully future BA) Sasquatch for the sample!

2.28/5  rDev -30.5%

I certainly hope that porters in general do not taste this bad. If they do, there's one class of beers that I do not like. Unfortunately, this was part of the mass-beer purchase with some fellow BA's and it failed miserably.

Poured a deep dark color with a cream-colored head with a roasted nut-like aroma. I just could not stand the taste of this beer. Very thin with no body to speak of. Sad to say, I couldn't even finish the bottle.

Hopefully, another porter from another brewer will change my mind.

2.3/5  rDev -29.9%

The beer pours the way I like to see beer, Dark, generous head and sheets of lace. Nose has hints of roasted grain, caramel, nutlike sweetness. Front is cloyingly sweet, very thin middle, mildly hopped, sparingly carbonated. I would change the name to "Habeas Corpus", "Where's the Body"???

3.42/5  rDev +4.3%

Almost black with Ruby Red highlights / Cream colored head. Caramel aroma ... not my favorite for porters. Nice flavor with a light roastiness, light chocolate and light coffee tones. Body was too light for a porter. A decent session beer ... after all "why have just one".

I have to admit it takes guts for a name like this. It looks like a porter anyway. However, when I tasted it I didn't get much of a flavor. The only roasted quality I tasted seemed to be frrom the oatmeal stout I had in the same glass previously. It is quite thin and more like an easy drinking inoffensive pilsner. Not terrible but the apppearance suggests more of a character than the beer delivers. I would agree with the watery and thin comments. I didn't detect any hops flavor. I think the name and the bottle label have more personality than the beer.

3.43/5  rDev +4.6%

This translucent dark brown brew has a raw grassy aroma and a quickly dissipating head. This is a full-bodied brew with a sweet roasted chocolate malt profile. A light spice hop finish rounds off a pretty solidly built porter. "Bring some home to the wives."

2.26/5  rDev -31.1%

Nice and and dark deep color, the head settled too quickly but it looked inviting. After a alot of effort, smelled some roasted malty, earthy tones. The taste was overwhelmed with carbonation. Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles everywhere. Really overwhelmed what might have been a decent beer. Some slight roasted malty tones where barely noticable. I could barely get it down, but we know the cliche "any port in a storm" I was stuck in the Salt Lake City airport for 3 hours and just thrilled to get a beer.

3.05/5  rDev -7%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with twist-off cap. No freshness date. Label looks like a little orgy of some kind going on (1 guy, 7 girls). And, I love the saying on the label "Why have just one?"

Appearance: Very dark, black with mahogony/ruby hues. Head is an off-white, pillowing, foam with decent stick and retention.

Smell: Earthy, with chocolate and an almost milky aroma quality.

Taste: Very astringent, earthy and burnt up-front -- from the patent black malt. Mouthfeel is smooth & creamy while the body is light. Carbonation is tight, a bit fizzy. There's little to none on the sweetness front, in fact this beer is dry & crisp. Some chocolate pokes through, but it's faint. Hop flavour/bitterness is also faint, hidden amongst the assertive astringency. Finish is a bit dry, fairly clean.

Notes: It's just a porter. Basic, way too thin and it contains less alcohol than most traditional porters. But what do you expect from a state ruled by religion?

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last