Squatters Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout - Utah Brewers Cooperative

Squatters Captain Bastard's Oatmeal StoutSquatters Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout

Utah Brewers Cooperative visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Squatters Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
beerdhabelly

11-18-2012 23:24:15 | More by OregonGrown7
jpro

South Carolina

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%

Had on-tap at Squatters Pub in Salt Lake City.

A: black with some mahogany shades on the edges; light beige, one-finger head; no lace despite great nitro-enhanced retention; it seems the nitro-tap adds to the opacity of the beer, too - maybe?

S: roasted malt; a touch smoky; that's about it... stupid nitrogen!

T: tasty! Roasted malt and light coffee notes; sweetness cuts the roasted flavors; a kiss of cocoa and some oatmeal character on the end.

M: light; low, nitro-carbonation; a little thin, but to be expected at 4%.

O: a decent oatmeal stout, especially for the low abv; would like to try the regular version, as the nitro-tap tends to mute the aroma and some flavors.

*from notes 9/30/12

11-15-2012 16:15:23 | More by jpro
Jsteez

China

2.8/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured in a dimpled mug.

A-Poured a 1 finger head that didn't stick around for too long. The brew was coffee black. The head was beige and the ring around the edge of the glass was tan. Disappointed in the trace lacing left in the glass. The beer was too watery for the lace to stick. A lot of carbonation. I love stout beer and I want just a little less carbonation with a lot more cream on top. The type of cream you can eat with a spoon!

S-The smell was surprising. It smelt of roasted caramel malt, oatmeal, dark chocolate, smoked mocha and molasses. It smelt quite nice.

T-At first the taste was a watery molasses taste with a bloody/irony/metallic taste (it repulsed me!). After a few sips and when the brew began to warm, the other flavors began to bloom. I could taste smoked malt, oats, mocha, and hints of chocolate silk. I just wish the beer was creamier. I like my stouts creamy with a little warming effects from alcohol (especially when winter comes along). The aftertaste consisted of a dry molasses taste.

M-Medium bodied and quite watery. I like thicker/stronger stouts. Pretty average.

Overall-Not may favorite for this style. 4% ABV stout does not really do it for me. The flavors are fine, but the overall effects of this brew did not wow me. And I can't seem to think anyone would want to drink iron/metal/blood, unless you're a vampire.

09-12-2012 13:43:24 | More by Jsteez
RblWthACoz

3.73/5  rDev +7.8%

Beer #15 in my great Utah Brew Hunt.

Damn. I should have had this before the King's Peak Porter instead of the other way around. Whereas it's a passable oatmeal stout, it doesn't really do a whole lot for me...at first. As it warms, the tones you want to see really come out and it strikes me as more hearty. (This beer actually sat out for about an hour before I even cracked it open.)

My suggestion is to drink this one at cellar temperature, or after leaving it out for some time. (Got a lot better as it warmed and time went on.)

09-10-2012 20:43:37 | More by RblWthACoz
GeezLynn

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

08-15-2012 04:03:19 | More by GeezLynn
ssjkyle

07-14-2012 22:42:43 | More by ssjkyle
DavoleBomb

3.65/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Clear dark brown color. Two fingers of frothy beige head. Retention is about average and a short ring of lacing is left.

4.5 S: Smells great! Moderate roastiness, big graininess, lots of chocolate, and plenty of oats. Everything I want in an oatmeal stout.

3.5 T: Taste is good, but it's thin compared to the nose. Dry graininess. Moderate roastiness. A lot less chocolate, little sweetness, and minor molasses.

3.0 M: Lighter body. A bit overcarbonated. Too thin for my liking and not creamy.

3.5 D: If this tasted like it smelled, I'd be mighty happy. Unfortunately, this is too thin and too dry. Still tasty though.

06-26-2012 05:46:57 | More by DavoleBomb
RandyKemka

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

05-31-2012 02:44:42 | More by RandyKemka
JEdmund

Kansas

3.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Coal black color like a stout ought to be; initial tan head formation, but it doesn’t stick around

Smells inviting: lots of oat and cocoa and a bit of coffee, some cola, raisins, and molasses. Not as roasty or hoppy as some American stouts, but it still has a good aroma to it.

First few sips has me thinking this could pass as a porter, so it’s certainly not a big stout, but what’s there is very enjoyable. It has a nice coffee-flavored finish that lingers nicely. Body and texture are also just a tad small; it does have some good smoothness from the oats, but I’d take even more; and I’d also like just a bit more weight to it; carbonation is just fine. The coffee flavor makes up the majority of the flavor, but it’s not a big, espresso-like coffee flavor—more of a coffee cut with a bit of milk and cocoa. Good flavor!

Overall Squatters’ stout is a nice tasting beer, but one I would classify as small for a stout. That doesn’t diminish my enjoyment, however. I just saw online that the AVB is 4%, so that explains a lot. And really, for a lighter beer, it has good flavor. I could drink a few of these in a row no problem. Having tried at least four beers now by Squatters, I’m convinced these guys know what they’re doing.

01-19-2012 00:35:56 | More by JEdmund
mactrail

Washington

2.88/5  rDev -16.8%

Grainy and coarse-flavored black beer. Very watery in the mouth, but enlivened with a strong charcoal taste. Smell is kind of like a campfire after Smokey stopped by. Looks nice enough and it does tend toward mahogany on the thin edge of the glass. Maybe it's just what you're in the mood for, as it's not bad. Clean and crisp, just more harsh and sourish than you want to cozy up to.

Thin stuff that would be refereshing except for the excess of burnt flavors. Otherwise, no hint of malt. Apparently well named. AARRRGH!

12-29-2011 04:58:44 | More by mactrail
mhaugo

12-09-2011 06:04:27 | More by mhaugo
jamescain

3.55/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a Brooklyn tulip glass, thanks to MarkVagas for throwing this one in to the box.

Appearance: Pours jet black with a thin tan head a centemeter that fades some what quickly to a ring around the center.

Aroma: This is the best part about the beer, chocolate, roasted notes, burnt marshmallow, and vanilla.

Taste: Kind of bland after the aroma, chocolate and roasted notes are basically all you will find.

Mouthfeel: This is the biggest disappointment, it's an oatmeal stout so I expected it to be creamier. Medium-light body with medium carbonation.

Overall: It's a nice offering, but there are better oatmeal stouts out there, I don't think I would buy it again. I guess with a cap of 4%ABV by law it's hard to create a thick oatmeal stout.

11-10-2011 21:12:56 | More by jamescain
kagent777

Utah

3.18/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz bottle with a born on date of June 29, 2011 poured into my goblet.

Appearance: An almost opaque beers that is probably dark brown rather than black. The head was fizzy and lasted only a few seconds and settled into one lonely island near the center of the cup.

Smell: Roasted malt with mild chocolate notes in the background. Maybe a hint of coffee. Overall nice but a little restrained.

Taste: A thin mild bitterness from the roasted malts with maybe a hint of earthy hops. There is a little dark chocolate character hiding in there as well. The finish is dry but not prolonged.

Mouthfeel: The real letdown of this beer, but I understand why they do it this way. The beer is too fizzy and the body too thin. They needed to do this to hit 4 ABV, if they did not, this beer could not be sold in grocery stores in Utah.

Overall: This one might be a stout that is non-intimidating for BMC drinkers.. Unfortunately, there are other stouts that I like much better. For a session beer, you really don't get much better except for the APA (Full suspension) that the UBC brews.

10-14-2011 03:25:03 | More by kagent777
elNopalero

3.55/5  rDev +2.6%

This pours black with a reddish hue. Thin lacing, light carbonation. I am picking up a nice roasty coffee bouquet, some chocolate nibs, and faint toffee aroma. These nuances all but drop off on the palate as the roast dominates. Thin bodied. Sharp finish. No creaminess. Not what I expect from an oatmeal stout. Dial up the IBUs and you’d end up with a black IPA or a hoppy porter. While this beer misses the mark on my expectations it’s not altogether unpleasant. I like that it’s clean and focused—a sharp flavor with some espresso/dark coffee roast balanced by just a hint of sweetness and a definite finish that keeps it interesting. I’d have to be in the right frame of mind to have this again, although that frame of mind could just as well end up with a cup of joe instead.

10-05-2011 20:30:00 | More by elNopalero
patobandito

New Mexico

3.15/5  rDev -9%

Pours a dark brown with a slight fizzy head. Smells a little of roasted malt. Tastes a bit chocolaty with a nice roasted flavor. Its a bit thin for a stout, but thats most like due to the restrictions that Utah places on beer. 4% for a stout is a bit on the light side. Its drinkable and pleasant, but not as robust as a stout should be.

10-05-2011 02:26:12 | More by patobandito
brentk56

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Pours a very dark chocolate color with just the faintest of highlights; the cap is mocha colored and creamy and while it fades a little too quickly, it does leave nice traces behind

Smell: Really roasty, almost burnt, and while the aroma is pronounced, it lacks subtlety

Taste: Toasted black bread, up front, with a surprisingly bitter lemony character that builds by mid-palate; after the swallow, the burnt roast character subsumes the other flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; creamy, too

Overall: A very different take on the style and I can see why some would mark this much lower if they were being sticklers; I rather enjoyed it, even though it lacked some of the elements I would seek out in an Oatmeal stout

Thanks, douglas88 (from the other site), for the opportunity

08-14-2011 19:28:12 | More by brentk56
FosterJM

3.03/5  rDev -12.4%

661st Review on BA
Bottle to Mug
12oz

App- A very dark brown with a one finger head and a quick receding one at that. Very small ring of bubbles on the edge.

Smell- Very watered down espresso and some roast notes with a bit of oat behind it. Very small

Taste- For an oatmeal stout its in line with flavors and the profile but just falls due to what Utah is allowed to do. The oat notes give way to that watery coffee.

Mouth- A thinner feel with a watery note. Light bodied and almost high carbonated.

Drink- A lot thinner than I hoped, a bit watery and just a bit small on the flavor profile. Probably won't come back to this one but worth the try.

07-23-2011 03:06:28 | More by FosterJM
WoodBrew

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

I'm sorry, but Utah law struck again and killed another stout that potentially had potential. With the state law limited ABV for on tap beers...it forces brewers to brew with one arm tied behind their back. This stout had a nice appearance....deep rich almost opaque amber with ecru head. The scent was malt and roast. The taste provided a strong malt character, but lacked body. Try others if possible would be my suggestion.

07-14-2011 23:45:18 | More by WoodBrew
dtivp

3.63/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured a nice black with some ruby brown hues, one finger mocha head, not much retention and very light lacing.

Aroma of of roasty coffee and some dark chocolate

Taste of some roasted malt, strong dark chocolate, a sweetness of molasses, caramel and a hint of dry bitter hops.

Mouthfeel was medium body, moderate carbonation and very smooth, more sweet than bitter.

Overall it is a little sweeter than I prefer for a stout, however, it is an easy drinking beer, a little bitterness and some alcohol, I know this is utah.

06-12-2011 01:00:52 | More by dtivp
mk3

Utah

3.95/5  rDev +14.2%

Maybe prejudice, I live in Ut. but I really like the Cap'n. Maybe 'cause I can be a Bastard too?

This stout is a very dark, reddish black and has a decent, creamy almond head but does have some good lacing.

It has a slight chocolate/coffee smell.

I like the fact that it is a little sweeter than a traditional stout(I'm not a fan of Guinness). but I admit it is a little thin.

I know some people say that our stupid(utah) laws ruin what could be good beers but this stout shows that low alcohol doesn't make the beer.(Guinness is only 4.3)

The Cap'n is my usual winter beer. I've been all over the world and have had many different beers and though not the best, Cap'n Bastards is in the top tier.

04-18-2011 04:56:29 | More by mk3
TheBeerWolf

Nevada

1.27/5  rDev -63.3%

I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what but this tastes like an ashtray. Appearance is nice and dark. Had a nice light brown head that stayed for a second or two. From there all downhill. Smells slightly toasty but a hint of ash in the scent. As far as taste bleh. I have taken a few sips wondering if it was just me. Had a few people in the room try it we all agreed ashtray. Unless you like eating an ashtray I would say drinkability is not good. Could not get through the 12 ounce I bought. I really hope this was a dud bottle but honestly I had a few others from this brewery and was not blown away but wow this stuff is aweful.

02-21-2011 03:03:38 | More by TheBeerWolf