Wasatch The Devastator Double Bock - Utah Brewers Cooperative

good

Utah Brewers Cooperative visit their website

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: alexgash on 12-23-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wasatch The Devastator Double Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 414 | Reviews: 162
4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks Fishdawg71 for including this one as an extra.

Really cool artwork on the bottle. A ram exploding out of what appears to be downtown Salt Lake - flames and all. "Utah will never be the same."

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass.

Dark brown color with 1/2 finger tan head that leaves solid, fine bubble lacing.

Bready malt aroma comes across strong.

Full moutfeel and rich bready malt flavor. Seem to pick up a touch of chocolate aroma and finish as it warms.

Dry and not the least bit sweet which scores points for me.

3.24/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured into a perfect pint glass.

A. Dark amber with almost no head and no lace.

S. I'm struggling to find any aroma coming off this beer. I'm hardly getting anything apart from a faint whiff of caramel.

T. Given that there smell was so non-existent, the taste is surprisingly strong, but not exactly what I was expecting. Much more toffee and caramel than is usual, and some oxidised sherry-like notes which are quite pleasant to my palate, but shouldn't be in a doppelbock. A faint hint of bitterness in the finish.

M. Medium bodied and very little carbonation.

O. A pleasant enough beer to drink but not a great doppelbock. They've got the malt-forward aspect right but it's a bit on the sweet side, and there's definitely an old ale character to it.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Look: cooper to dark....great looking
smell: not that overpowering. has some butterscotch smell to it.
Taste: sweat, but rich
mouthful: Is great. It has a slight carbonization to it but really rolls in the mouth well.
Drinkablity- I think it is nice. I enjoy it.

I am struggling to describe tonight...I guess my mind is just not with it but let me say this...

I really enjoyed this beer and it was very tasty. I would really enjoy this as a premeal beer or perhaps with some pork.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Surprised to have an 8% abv beer from Utah. Didn't think Utah had such high beers. Thank you Wasatch for this in trade!

A- Dark copper in color. Not hazy and not a ton of head. Not hazy and doesn't have any floaties. Nice crisp color.

S - Not a big scent on this one, but I do pick up some mellowed sweetness and caramel.

T- Caramel like in the nose of the beer. It hits some bitterness spots on my tongue, but they feel sweeter. Some bready malt in there, but more on the caramel side.

M- Not overly carbonated, but certainly not dead. Just a small burp rating. A more medium body. Little aftertaste of sweetness sits with you with an excited feeling.

D- I was expecting a heavier, darker beer than this, but I was not disappointed. I don't typically drink this style beer, so it would be hard to say if this is to style. If I were at a bar and this was the drink of choice, yes I'd have another.

3.89/5  rDev +6.6%

this beer poured a very nice amber brown with a pretty thin head that receded quickly. lacing was minimal.

the smell is bready and grainy with a hint of alcohol.

the taste is also alcohol. it's malty sweet and spicy, but not peppery. there is definitly a smell and a taste that coincides, but i can't pick out what it is.

the mouthfeel of this double bock is a bit thinner than expected for this style beer.

this beer is very drinkable, but not very double bock-ish.

thanks to barefootbrewer for sharing this beer with me.

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz twist off bottle. Born 3/24, reviewed 5/16
Received this bottle from the very generous pokesbeerdude in a recent LIF I won. Thanks chuck! Poured into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a shining copper/amber. Gorgeous red and orange highlights with a fizzy tannish, white 1/4 inch head. Looks great.

Smells roasty with lots of coffee notes. Some dried fruits and chocolaty raisins are also present.

Sweet toffee. Alcohol is well hidden. Short with flavors well blended. Could use some more biscuity and cereal notes that I enjoy in most doppelbocks. Lots of chocolate covered notes in the taste as well as the smell. Light and sweet.

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured this dark amber beer into a pint glass. The foam of this beer was a fair amount and reduced to faint wisps of lacing. The aroma of caramel, and malt. The taste of caramel is ever present in this beer. Overall a good initial tasting but then a tart roast flavoring is the remains of the beer.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into my snifter from 12 oz bottle

This is a very malt forward brew. Dark, Orangey brown, with a thin white head. Little lacing.

There is coffee on the nose, with grains and dusty metal. The flavor is a lot the same, with the sweetness of the malts way out front. There's a little tartness on the finish.

At 8.0% you can feel the warming all the way down. Very thick mouthfeel, with good carbonation.

I wouldn't want to put away too many of these, but it's good for what it is.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass

Ap- pours a dark copper color with a hint of brown. White minimal head goes fast and just clings to the sides of the glass

Ar- biscuity malt, caramel, toffee, overall it smells sweet

T- very malty and sweet with some plum and other dark fruit notes and some caramel.

M- bubbly with medium body, it's a bit sticky too. This beer has a really smooth finish

O- My first shot at a double bock and this was really enjoyable. Will be trying more in the future.

O-

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Underwhelming and boring. The beer was flat

3.98/5  rDev +9%

-dark color with a very nice thick brown head
- has the classic german wheat smell but with a lot of a bit in the smell
- a smooth beer with slight hops and alot of roasted grains
-to carbonated for my liking
- good attempt at a german classic

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into pint glass with very light head and a moderate amber color. Light malt smell. Taste a bit sweet, light malt flavor. Before you know it you are ready for another drink because the taste is gone. Definitely a week doppel but very drinkable. No hint that it is an 8% so a positive there. Would chose another one to drink while out in a bar but I would not have to have another.

3.66/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A. Held to the light, cola colored. A sliver of head remains after pouring.
S. Classic malt lager smell
T. Tastes of malt, slightly boozy, raisin
M. Strong malt backbone, washes down clean leaving a bitter aftertaste on the back of the tongue somewhat bubbly
O. Overall this beer was a pleasant surprise. I decided to try it because it was almost sold out at the local specs. But there could have been another reason for that. After I got home I noticed my receipt, they only charged me 1.25 for a six pack. Who knows why this was the last one on the shelf but I am glad I tried it. I don't dorm to many craft lagers but this one I would purchase again.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours clear dark Amber with very small head and low head retention, nose of bready bready malts practically no hop detection definite grain and heavy malts. Thick mouthfeel with a sweet bready taste that gets more savory afterwards, great beer, the sales associate that helped me described this beer as "the beer shiner wants to be".

3.37/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured a dark orange color beer with an average size head which quickly dissipated. It smelled of burnt caramel, brown sugar, honey, yeast. It tasted of wheat, honey, tea, yeast, toffee and some malt. Can't taste the alcohol , generally this can be good or bad, in this case it is bad because the beer just seem slightly flat with a weird aftertaste. Doesn't stay true to its style.

2.41/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Was not a fan. First the smell reminded me of the smell of throwup at a college party. And the taste got worse with each sip

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A little bit of a maltiness to it, but not a heavy amount. A slight alcohol burn, but it doesn't take too much away from the beer.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Had one a piper down a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Rich and smooth

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a medium brown carmel color with 2 fingers of tan head. Leaves rocky, with some decent lacing.

Smell of carmel and toasted malts. Bready. Toasted goodness.

Toasted malts and bready. Some sweetness mellowed by a slight bitterness. A creamy cocoa flavor. Good complexity, and very balanced. Some hints of dark fruits are there.

Medium in body with smooth carbonation. Sticky.

The drinkability is off the hook due to not having the syrupy overpowering kick yo ass of most double bocks I have had, thus the 5.0. I could drink a sixer no problem... until I have to wake up the next morning. Job well done.

3.59/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance - Nearly clear, light amber color with an off-white head that had good lacing.

Smell - Aroma of citrus, hops and sweet malts.

Taste - Sweet caramel hops with bitter aftertaste. Definitely can taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with light carbonation. Not completely smooth but definitely refreshing.

Drinkability - This was a decent beer.

3.17/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Initially, this had a great head and was a very good looking beer. This is all changed within a minute or so as the beer completely lost its head and looked like iced tea. On the nose, I got plenty smoked meat, smoked ham even.

Taste was of pecans and roasted nuts. Tasted much sweeter than a normal double bock. Almost seemed like it was a straight up pecan beer. Mouthfeel was decent. Lost some carbonation as I kept drinking. Overall, not impressed. Was a slightly below average double bock that was too sweet and didn't keep carbonation long enough. The alcohol was not detectable, which was a good thing, in my opinion.

3.86/5  rDev +5.8%

Draft. Good looking medium to dark brown with a touch of mahogany; minimal head that didn't last. Not much of a smell, but predominantly sweet--couldn't say specifics. Taste is a bit on sweet side, too. Clean, smooth, tasty, decent texture. Alcohol wasn't present much in taste. I enjoyed it and would drink it again; in fact, I did order a second and my friend had three! I would drink this as an easy social beer or in a restaurant with my meal instead of a Shiner or dark Vienna Lager.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

Devastator Double Bock, a Wasatch Beer by Utah Brewers Co-op is a great bock/strong brown ale, but a hair confusing. I'm excited about it because it's one that can be enjoyed by all. Do you know what I mean by that? It's not one of those double of imperials that'll just knock you on your hinney, but a beer that you can drink and the more you drink the more you'll likey;)

Devastator is a great beer...seriously, but I'm personally not jazzed about the graphic or the name. Thank god my personal demographic facts and buying preferences don't effect the taste of this double bock.

I like that this one has a nice toasty malt to it and it's not way too hoppy as with most double anythings nowA days. I love the hops, but I don't love em' with my smooth bock. As for this particular brew, it's got a lingering alcohol presence which is unavoidable since it is a true crisp bock.

The Wasatch Devastator pours nicely with a amber color, but not too dark as a bock should(at least for the darker/richer end of the spectrum), but don't be spooked by some of those fabulous pale bocks out there. Just because it doesn't scream rich roasted goodness doesn't mean it isn't a great bock. This one is darker than it tastes actually. There is some roast to this beer, but it's more citrus and alcohol than oak or chocolate if you know what I mean. Go dark if that's what you're looking for, but if you want a great brew with a ting of hops with a nice malt balance that's noticeable in most beers of this style buy a case. Is this not a strong ale? The styles are are clear by process, but when tasting, they are certainly hard to categorize at times. Anyhow....who gives??? Here's to GREAT beer!

The mouth feel is a bit heavy for a bock which is surprising to me considering how clear it is. This is a full flavor beer that'll invigorate you; you'll enjoy the crisp flavor is this Wasatch beer unless you drink more than a few and then you'd better be ready. This isn't just any brew and for that I say "thank You Utah Brewers for showing that smart people, even if they live in our region, can make GREAT beers!

1.99/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Wasatch The Devastator Double Bock,not a fan, no thank you

4.58/5  rDev +25.5%

Funny label of a ram destroying the Us capital building and English Parliament Building. Dark brown bottle, twist top. Stamp on bottle reads: BORN: 06/08/11.

Pours very nicely with a small head which goes away quickly. Caramel in color with a light cloudiness. Smells distinctly of caramel and malt.

Tastes sweeter than other double bock's I've had but this is a good thing. The sweetness is a mellow caramel flavor which goes nicely with the very smooth mouth feel. It warms the mouth and has little carbonation which I like. Ok, the mouth-feel is awesome-- smooth, mellow, warming, not thick like a stout but thick enough to compliment the caramel flavors.
Alcohol is indiscernible.

This is a "big" beer which I think holds its own against any other in the style. I could drink this all year long, but am looking forward to a few of these in the fall. Another great point to make was that this was a relatively inexpensive beer, especially for what you get. I will definitely be buying this again.

Wasatch The Devastator Double Bock from Utah Brewers Cooperative