Squatters Outer Darkness - Utah Brewers Cooperative

Squatters Outer DarknessSquatters Outer Darkness

Utah Brewers Cooperative visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Wasatch on 12-24-2009

Welcome to the biggest beer Squatters Pub Brewery has ever made! A Russian Imperial Stout is one of the most intensely flavored beers a brewer can create. The combination of rich roasted barley, oak, molasses and licorice root combine to create an utterly unique and complex imperial stout experience.

We had to mash in twice to get our starting gravity of 27 plato (1.108 specific gravity). We boiled 3.5 hrs to enhance caramelization and used molasses and licorice root at the end of boil. Outer Darkness is aged with oak, has 65 IBUs and bottle conditioned. We hope you have as much fun drinking it as we did making it. Please share with another and drink wisely.
1.92/5  rDev -52.1%

Not sure of vintage on this as there is no bottling or best by date. Embossed bottle with gold foil poured into a 10oz brandy snifter.

A: Pours deep black with a 1 finger khaki head. Lacing sticks to the glass as I drink.

S: Booze hits the nose first and is almost overwhelming. Behind the booze are roasted chocolaty notes, raisins, and a slight tartness.

T: The booze and tart finish are all I taste in the first sip. Subsequent sips reveal dried fruit and well hidden chocolate. As I continue to sip all I can focus on is this weird solventy tartness and the heat. I can't even finish the 8 oz pour.

M: Medium-heavy body with good carbonation. Maybe a little over carbonated for my tastes but that is the least of this beer's problems.

O: I guess the appearance was nice but as I said, I can't finish this pour. Maybe it'd be better fresh and this appears to be an older bottle.

2.02/5  rDev -49.6%

Tasting Date: 2/19/2011 - review from notes.

Service/Appearance: Had a little beer lineup one night with a friend, and served this into just a standard glass. Pours very dark brown with a relatively small, light brown head. Lacing is light on glass, but still apparent.

Nose: Something is off with this. Not what I expect with an alleged RIS - no real sweetness detected. Heavy char, an almost meaty, salty scent.

Taste: Unfortunately, taste only confirms what the nose foreshadowed. Nothing remotely normal about what I expect in a RIS -- looking at other reviews, maybe I had a flawed bottle or something. The most prevalent taste (after 2 or 3 more very hesitant sips) was beef jerky.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, just offputting because of the taste.

Overall: I'll entertain the notion that I had a bad bottle of this, but this one was not impressive. Color and mouthfeel were ok, which saved it from total failure.

2.97/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

First time writing a review on this website, although I have been using BA for a while to track my beers Ive consumed.

With this stout, I feel that the mouthfeel and taste were a little under what I was expecting with a 91 rating (especially not knowing that it was a 91 before trying it myself).

3.11/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours well, Looks good, but I thought the smell was fairly bland, not much going on.
The body is thinner than what I like my RISs to be. I also didn't get any big roast character. It was a bit bland. Finishes with a creamy feel, but still missing some flavor.
It has a good price point for a 750ml, 10.5% ABV. But there are others I'd rather drink.

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

Thanks to foofaa for busting this one out for us to try.

A - Pours jet black with a small half finger tall tan head leaving light lace down the glass.

S - Smells is all over the place. Initially there are hints of smoke, chocolate, and coffee with a weird off aroma sneaking in at the end of each sniff, almost brett like. As it warms the off aroma diminishes and it replaced by a huge maple syrup kick. Minus the off aroma this one is pretty good.

T - Starts off with lots of dark roasted malt quickly giving way to a mix of coffee grounds, dark chocolate, and plenty of smoke. The off flavor remains, really messing with the flow of the other flavors. Just like the nose, it slowly fades but it is still there. Finish is pretty roasty with some sweetness.

M - Medium-Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Dark, roasty feel that doesn't linger on the pallet for very long. There is a weird off flavor in there initially, slowly fading as it warms.

O - I am not sure what was going on with this one. Initially we thought it may be infected since it was giving off some weird off flavors and aromas but as it warmed up a bit it got a little bit better. I wouldn't mind giving it another go at a later time.

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

22 oz bottle split with steepH2O while sitting next to the new firepit and generally enjoying the emerging burst of sun from behind the tree stand that guards his backyard.

Pours black with some big league soda bubbles, a consistent and long lasting cream colored head and a ruinous trotching of this here New Belgium goblet. Steep wants less carbonation...I'll concur, though I like what this beer does to this glass.

Grape, sweet malt, coffee, nuts, and wood. On the sweeter side of what I prefer in a RIS.

Woodiness creeps and lingers after the sip, leaving a long drying finish. Not sure if there's barrel here, but it plays strong at the finish and once I perceive it, does not go away but hits harder.

A tad too thin, too sweet, and too carbonated to carry this into the upper eschelon. Having this back to back with Black Metal, this fell short of that beer.

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Pours a pitch black color. A small tan head of about a centimeter forms, and recedes in a minute. Nice lace is left behind though.
S: Roasted malt, acrid coffee, bitter bakers chocolate. Fairly simple and straight forward.
T: Again a large amount of roast and coffee. The coffee is very acrid and sharp. Bitter chocolate and some bitter hops pokes its head through. Two different bitter flavors that work at odds along with plenty of alcohol.
M/D: A full body with good carbonation. Creamy and smooth. Lots of hot alcohol that makes this harder to drink than I would like.

A fairly average RIS. Not bad, but nothing something I would recommend. Pretty much a one and done for me.

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

750 mL bottle tried 18 Oct 2011. Served in the 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter.

Large brown foamy head. Medium carbonation. Clear dark brown in color. Aromas of ethanol, dried fruit, lightly charred malts. Lots of roasty malt, almost burnt. Alcohol. Some very dark chocolate and cocoa. Burnt wood. Heavy body, lots of alcohol. Licorice and cough syrup in the finish and aftertaste.

It's boozy and hot in the outer darkness.

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 9 fl oz brown glass bottle (Born: 09/03/13) with interesting label art and gold foiled-over branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at Whole Foods HQ and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current 90 rating. 10.5% ABV confirmed. Reviewed as a Russian Imperial Stout because it's identified clearly as such on the front of the label. "Reserve series." "65 IBU's [sic]."

Paired with Swiss chocolate.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to come to room temperature over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of nice khaki-tan colour. Nice fluffy creaminess. Pretty good thickness. Nice consistency. Not as luscious or milky as would be an ideal for an Imperial Stout, but attractive, certainly. Inconsistent lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is pretty good for the high ABV - about 3-4 minutes.

Body colour is a solid opaque black. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's pretty standard fare for an imperial stout. Certainly above average, but not mind-blowing. While not unique or special, it's definitely appealing and I'm looking forward to trying it. There are no egregious flaws.

Sm: Too milky and airy. It lacks substance and depth; this is a very empty aroma. Unevocative milk chocolate, timid dark malts, some coffee/dark chocolate bitterness. Roasted barley notes are sorely lacking. As it warms, a bit more malty sweetness emerges, but it's still lackluster. Faint vanilla. Shallow oak. Faint sweet fruits - cherry, perhaps? If so, it's one of the most mediocre cherry notes I've ever encountered in an imperial stout. With further warmth, I pick up some appealing cocoa dust.

No yeast character, hop character, or overt alcohol is detectable. I'm a bit underwhelmed so far, but I'm optimistic. Aroma is of below average strength. I can't believe how timid it is. It does seem soft, to its credit.

T: Dark malts, chocolate malts, a bit of molasses. Dark chocolate and accompanying bitterness emerges about the climax, joined by faint unevocative coffee notes. There's little of interest in the coffee notes - no roast, espresso, creaminess, or anything intriguing. There's not even the depth of say cold-pressed Folgers; all I get is a weak earthiness and bitterness that isn't flattering. A bit of artificial vanillicin comes through on the finish. There's really no evocative oak wood here at all. A bit of cocoa dust. Hints of tar. Some luckily faded anise (I despise licorice/anise). A bit burnt. Where's the roasted barley? The lack of roast is really hurting the flavour profile. Bitterness/sweetness is messy and imbalanced. Slightly burnt.

Below average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. It's pretty underwhelming in that the complexity and subtlety is quite limited for the style. Balance is decent and it has some fair cohesion, but it's by no means a gestalt build.

No yeast character or hop character comes through. There is a bit of alcohol presence, but it doesn't detract that much.

I'm pretty disappointed, to be honest. This is a rather boring build for an imperial stout overall. I like it in a general sense, and there are no off flavours or anything, but there's just nothing remarkable about it.

Mf: A bit sticky and chewy. Smooth and wet. Nice body and thickness. Decent presence on the palate. It could really use more of a soft creamy feel. Not luscious. Overcarbonated. Suits the flavour profile decently, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it.

Not oily, astringent, hot, boozy, gushed, rough, or harsh.

Dr: Drinkable enough for its pretty well hidden 10.5% ABV. I'm a bit dumbfounded by its current 90 rating; are Utah residents artificially inflating this rating or something? I mean, maybe this is incredible stuff if you only drink Utah beers. Snark aside, it's a run-of-the-mill Russian Imperial Stout with little to offer the discerning drinker. A forgettable beer I wouldn't bother with again. I wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners. Worth trying once, but ultimately quite mundane.

The vanillicin and cocoa dust were the highlights for me, but the lack of roast and generally lazy balance really hold it back.

Might age decently. Worth throwing in your cellar if you've got space and patience.

Pairs well with chocolate, but which imperial stout doesn't?

Low B-

3.37/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served this 25 oz. brown bottle in a Sierra Nevada Hops glass. No date, but a yellow label. The body was an opaque dark brown with a rich dark tan head. Viscous, dense and creamy. Taking a drink left me with a "chocolate milk mustache". There was a persistent cap that left some lacing.

The smell was Faintly of cocoa. Walnuts. The aroma was the weakest characteristic of this beer.

The taste was a light roasty bitterness and mild fruitiness. Chocolate and cream. Mild flavors and very well hidden alcohol made this one very easy to drink.

The mouthfeel was creamy with a rich body. Fine carbonation.

3.45/5  rDev -14%

Can't remember what generous BA sent this to me, but whoever it was thanks! Poured 750ml into a snifter.

A- Pours black with a big dark brown head. Leaves a lot of lace on the glass with a thin cap left on top.

S- Roasted aroma dominated by chocolate. A little sweet notes mixed with some coffee notes. Still unsure how I feel on the nose.

T- Interesting flavors. Chocolate flavors come to the front right off the bat. Roasted coffee flavors follow well behind in the middle. Turns a little sweet and some slight bitterness from some hops come through. Really throws off the end of the beer for me. Some hotness comes through as it warms too.

M- Full body, low carbonation. Feels a little thick and chewy.

O- Not the best RIS I've had by far. Flavors are in there, just need to be brought out more and balanced better. Still not bad to drink, just not on the same level as some of the good RIS's out there.

3.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

BIG thanks to Trappistlover for this one!

A: Great carbonation. More then to be expected from such a big brew. Rich and dark. No light is getting through here. Lots of lacing!

S: Big malts mixed with some chocolate and alcohol. Maybe some coffee and some molasses.

T: Very smooth chocolate and alcohol burn with a dry end taste of burnt coffee.

O: I really enjoyed this beer and happy I got to try it. Taste is pretty on point with an RIS and not too far off from others in the style. Still a great beer though.

3.46/5  rDev -13.7%

I've had this one in the basement in Salt Lake for the last year waiting for the Christmas visit. Born date is the auspicious 11/01/11 to counteract, I hope, the theological implications of the name.

Very dark, very winey, very thick. First impression is a huge malty explosion followed by a hoppy burn. Burnt sugar with alcohol heat. The buttery and fruity flavor is a perhaps an artifact of aging. Smell of alcohol, plastic, and Butterfingers. Huge cocoa flavor with sort of a nutty, buttery, caramel taste, and maybe a little oxidized.

Creamy bubbles last for glass after glass. I'll have to try a fresh one next year. From the 22 oz bottle bought at the Utah Liquor Store in Sugar House.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a Surly pint glass. Dark black, but not all light sucking. Beautiful light brown two finger head. Lace is sticky and patched to the end.

Smell is medium roasted coffee and just a hint of chocolate. I do get a hint of tart also. Quite a bit of alcohol is present in the nose.

Taste is kind of a tart, sweet, bitter, smooth battle all at once. The overall taste is roasted flavors, but the pallet has to go through quite a battle to get the reward (pick it).

The mouth is as expected. Rich, smooth and full. Chewy to the end. There is a bit of alcohol warming that is quite nice.

I was a bit disappointed with this one, but not a bad representation of the style. Maybe if you are looking to dabble in the heaving hitting RIS's this one isn't a bad choice to start you journey with.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Outer Darkness, Russian Style Imperial Stout ("Russian Style"? I don't think there's a single Imperial Stout from Russia. It's not in the style of a Russian Imperial Stout. The style is named after the Russian Empire.)
Squatter Beers, Reserve Series, Salt Lake City, Utah, Utah Brewers Cooperative.
10.5 % alcohol by volume.

"Russian Style Imperial Stout is one of the most intensely flavored beers a brewer can create. Outer Darkness goes through multiple mashes to achieve it's high original gravity. Outer Darkness has 65 IBUs, is black as night and cold cellared like a Siberian winter. We hope you have as much fun drinking it as we did making it.

Please share with a friend and consume responsibly. (nope, drinking alone.)

Brewing a more Sudstainable future." Oh, terrible puns.

Let's drink it up!

Deep, stygian darkness (what?), creamy, cocoa/tan head, lush and lively. Looking great.

Vast aromatics…rich cocoa, and espresso notes, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting…lightly hoppy, massive malt. Very nice.

Taste: all that and more. Richness aplenty, deep malt flavor, nicely textured…but, all in all, this one doesn't go far enough.

Or is it me? I'm going to open a bottle of Expedition Stout, and drink them side by side. See if this Outer Darkness is really lacking. (Mmmm, I'm tempted to compare with a Surly Darkness, but that would be a long night!)

(I have to admit, and I didn't realize it at first, but there's an advantage the Expedition has…it's a 2008.)
We have to adjust for temperature, as the Expedition bottle came straight out of the fridge, but, to take a phrase from "Community", the Bell's beer is streets ahead. More flavors, more depth, more charcoal, tar, more sweet molasses, mixed with bitterness, hops, char, …the expedition has an edge on it that the utah beer wishes it had. It's a boozy stout, that lack s the extra character a great one requires.
The squatters beer barely tastes "imperial"…it may be strong, it may be full-bodied, but it's a minor league player. I'm getting the feeling these guys don't really understand imperial stouts. They can't just be high alcohol, it has to have more. This one just lacks, and lacks, and lacks.

They'll have to try harder to get a "Russian Style Imperial Stout" worth anyone's attention.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-pours a jet black thick and viscous liquid with a mahogany brown head that is tight and creamy.

S-light notes of roasted to burnt malt, hints of chocolate, lots of sweetness and dark fruits.

T-very sweet, tons of roasted or burnt malts, notes of chooclate, light vanilla, very bitter and astringent burnt coffee, dark fruits in the back add some sweetness.

M-somewhat smooth, a little grainy on the palate, thinner, high carbonation.

D-nothing out of the norm here and little hot for the starndar flavors it provides. pretty average imperial stout and very burnt and bitter flavors fighting against lots of malty sweetness.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This gem comes to me from Wasatch in our most recent trade. Thank you John.

This beer certainly has a good look in my snifter. Dark brown to black body that is completely opaque. The light brown head is more than two fingers tall, and is made up of tightly packed, small bubbles. Both lacing and retention are very good.

Surprisingly fruity aroma, with black cherry making its presence known. Even though I am surprised by the fruit, the roasted malts and chocolate are certainly more powerful.

The fruit is pretty prominent in the flavor also, with a big cherry flavor. Charred black malts, roasted flavors and a bit of roasted wood abound. Dry baker's chocolate is quite powerful, and a hint of coffee is underneath it. Some general toffee-like sweetness rounds out the malts. The finish is a little bit to hot, but stops short of harsh.

Mouthfeel is about what I would expect from the style; fairly good.

Outer Darkness is an enjoyable but not earth-shattering RIS. I'm glad that I got to try it.

3.57/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Imperial pint glass. My basement fridge set at 45 degrees. Center pour produces massive head so that I can only fill glass half way before head threatens to spill out on counter.

Smells very nice. Dark fruits and chocolate. A little more hops on the nose than I would expect from a stout.

Taste is good, gets better as it warms. Probably should have waited longer before sampling. The hops on the nose are not as prominent on the palate. A little soy sauce comes along for the ride with the chocolate and fruit. Nice.

This has a great thickness to it. This is how a stout should feel.

Overall, did I mention I didn't taste the high alcohol content, it did catch up with me. I would have shared ( the wife prefers lagers). I'll buy this again.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

1/12 vintage. Poured from a 750 ml into a Half Acre snifter.

A- pours black with a 1 finger dark tan head. Big amoeba blotches all over the glass.

S- chocolate, roast, molasses

T- roasted malts, dark fruits, bitter molasses takes center stage in this beer.

M- medium body and carbonation. Very creamy, smooth feel that finishes slightly dry.

O- good RIS, but not a fan of bitter molasses that is actuated in this beer.

3.61/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The beer was chilled and allowed to warm up. The beer was served in a shaker pint.

A- The body of the beer is indeed black with no opaqueness to light. The head was one finger high after a hard pour. The color of the head is caramel. Nice head retention. Thick rings of lacing marks the beers passage.

S- The aroma of acidic over cooked coffee rises out of the glass. Coupled with the intial aroma is the smell of cocoa dark roasted malts nearing chared at times. Dark fruit tones peak out from time to time.

T- The flavor of the beer is brown sugar / molasses sweetened darkly roasted and toasted malts. Cocoa dipped raisins and dark fruit. Nice earthy almost smoked finish.

M- The body of the beer is slightly fuller than medium. The carbonation is on the low end but works well with the overall beer. The beer is 10% with no alcohol noted except as a nice warming.

O- This is a pretty good stab at the RIS. The beer only gets better as it warms up.

3.61/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Opaque like you'd assume a RIS should be - big head, with two fingers. Deep brown head - like medium toast.

Highly-malted nose, licorice seems to be primary, but supported with some smoke. Big nose, but little depth here.

Almost brutish in how much is packed into this beer - I get a lot of raisins, some licorice, campfire smoke. Seems a little disjointed though.

Thick, like filtering stout sediment through the teeth and back to the tongue. Sticky, a little hot to close.

Strange thing - some good things going on here in this beer. Nothing outstanding, but it could be a decent long-evening sipper. And that is its intent tonight.

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle into tulip. No dating info.

Really like the label. Pours a midnight black with dark tan mocha head. Head retention was minimal as was the lacing. Smell is a burnt wood char with chocolate and coffee components. Minor pine hoppiness and some dark fruits. Flavour was distinctly a burnt coffee and bittersweet chocolate. There is some molasses, raisins, prunes and pepper. Mouthfeel was decently smooth and medium-light heavy body. Overall a pretty non-descript RIS, nothing that stood out as special.

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured pitch black in my Duvel tulip, the brew creates a mousse-like head that almost lumps on the top. Lacing is thick and even. It's a lovely presentation.

S: Chocolate truffles, drunken cherries, roasted malt, and a sharp tinge--probably from the licorice root--make a really nice scent here. I wish it were a bit stronger like other RISs I love, such as Old Rasputin and Sea Monster. Still, it's quite good here.

T: Oven-roasted hops are immediately present with a sharp medicinal kick; there's also a thick milkiness to it at the front. The malt comes in on the back of the palate with a slow burn that turns into something like a coffee porter. I'd like some more chocolate here.

M: It's not as thick and viscous as I'd like, but it's drinkable for sure. The carbonation on the front is pronounced, and it has a very thick, long finish.

O: It's not quite as solid as I had remembered, but this was a fantastic dessert beer. This would probably make a good introduction beer into the RIS genre.

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%

22 oz. (approx. 3 weeks after bottling of the series) into a brandy glass

Appearance: Chocolate brown, impossible to see through, with a thin brown head. Classic Imperial stout.

Aroma: Potent chocolate, coffee, and alcohol in the nose, along with some prune and raisin notes. Swirling released an aroma slightly like rubbing alcohol.

Flavor: Strong fruity beginning doesn't do much to mask the intensity of the alcohol, which is present throughout. Notes of figs and raisins with coffee and a cherry like sweetness. Bitter finish, like a mix of dark chocolate and everclear.

Mouthfeel: Strong, heavy body that feels thick and syrupy going down. Doesn't coat the mouth much at all.

Overall: I'm wondering whether I cracked this one open too early after bottling, and I'm excited to let the second and third ones age (vertical test??) for a while. The beer lacks some complexity that I expected from Squatter's, but here's hoping that it comes out with time

3.65/5  rDev -9%

750 mL bottle pours a viscous black color with a small but brown head. Decent retention and it leaves a solid wall of thin head on the side of the glass.

Nose is a rich chocolate and dark fruit tinged in smoke. Rich and bold with a moderate sweetness. Nice.

Pretty good complexity of licorice, roast and dark, unsweetened chocolate. There is some definite hoppy bitterness on the end, leafy and still pungent after about 6 months. The alcohol is still not quite smoothed out, but overall it is pretty good. I cant decide if some more age would be good for it, but I have a couple I'll be experimenting with.

Squatters Outer Darkness from Utah Brewers Cooperative