Squatters Outer Darkness - Utah Brewers Cooperative

Squatters Outer DarknessSquatters Outer Darkness

Utah Brewers Cooperative visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Wasatch on 12-24-2009

Welcome to the biggest beer Squatters Pub Brewery has ever made! A Russian Imperial Stout is one of the most intensely flavored beers a brewer can create. The combination of rich roasted barley, oak, molasses and licorice root combine to create an utterly unique and complex imperial stout experience.

We had to mash in twice to get our starting gravity of 27 plato (1.108 specific gravity). We boiled 3.5 hrs to enhance caramelization and used molasses and licorice root at the end of boil. Outer Darkness is aged with oak, has 65 IBUs and bottle conditioned. We hope you have as much fun drinking it as we did making it. Please share with another and drink wisely.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Imperial pint glass. My basement fridge set at 45 degrees. Center pour produces massive head so that I can only fill glass half way before head threatens to spill out on counter.

Smells very nice. Dark fruits and chocolate. A little more hops on the nose than I would expect from a stout.

Taste is good, gets better as it warms. Probably should have waited longer before sampling. The hops on the nose are not as prominent on the palate. A little soy sauce comes along for the ride with the chocolate and fruit. Nice.

This has a great thickness to it. This is how a stout should feel.

Overall, did I mention I didn't taste the high alcohol content, it did catch up with me. I would have shared ( the wife prefers lagers). I'll buy this again.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.25

Hand me a beer and I will drink it, but God save me, I do not like stouts. I will drink Belgian Quadrupels, Double or Imperial IPAs, but I do not like stouts. If you are like me and turn your nose up at even a Guinness, do not drink this.

It looks like liquid evil.
It smells like liquid evil.
It tastes like liquid evil.
It feels like liquid evil. Or motor oil.
Two years later and I still have not recovered.

In reality though, it is dark. Hold it up to a light, and it will not show even a shred of a glow. Strong coffee and dark malts are prevalent, both in taste and smell. It feels much like something I should have chewed.

This is a tough brew to get through. I had it on tap in a goblet-style glass, and in small amounts, it is delicious. The flavors all come through to form some kind of potion that nearly convinced me that stouts are the only way to world peace. Then I made the mistake of buying a bomber. I was not ready. I will never be ready. It is powerful, it is pungent, and if you are not prepared, it will destroy you.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.51/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Magnificen imperial stout! Very rich. Complex flavor which includes what one expects in a fine stout including a licourice element. Pours opaque dark with a nice tan head. Very toasty and complex. Mild bitterness, mildly sweet and chocolatey. Perfect hop in the finish. Very impressive!

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2009 vintage bomber

Pours a dark brown color with a tan head. Aroma of dark, chocolatey malts and alcohol.

In the taste, big roasted malts and booze notes. Some leather and sherry notes from oxidation, but mostly boozy and malty. Low hop bitterness at this advanced stage, but the toastiness is still big.

Full bodied, creamy and smooth. Overall this is a pretty good imperial stout, but is probably at its peak or perhaps its past that.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pitch black with a one finger mocha colored head. Light spotty lacing.

S: Lots of espresso and bitter dark chocolate.

T: Strong black coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and roasted almonds.

M: Creamy and full bodied. There is almost a chocolate shake quality to this one.

O: I enjoyed this stout quite a bit. Very big flavors and enjoyable to drink.

3.66/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to ChewyLewy for sharing this one at Retsinis' tasting.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and dark fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and char flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast and hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with nice cocoa and char qualities all around.

Squatters Outer Darkness from Utah Brewers Cooperative