Hemlock Double IPA - Big Choice Brewing, LLC

good

Big Choice Brewing, LLC visit their website
Colorado, United States

IBUs: 104

(Beer added by: acurtis on 10-27-2013)
Reviews by brett_arneson:

birchstick, Jan 22, 2014

TickleMeTony, Mar 12, 2014

Haybeerman, Jun 08, 2014
3.55/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into one of my favorite snifters.

First off, if you're a hop-head, this beer is for you. This is a very bitter brew, especially as it warms up. Citrus, pepper and pine are the major theme. They dominate the beer in the nose and on the tongue. A lightly roasted malt backbone brings very little sweetness to offset the bitterness of the hops. The bitterness lingers nicely through the finish. A medium-heavy body with just about the right fizz rounds things out.

To be honest, if someone handed me this and asked me to guess the style, I'd say American Barleywine, as Hemlock reminds me a lot of Avery Hog Heaven. But, styles be damned in this case. Overall, a nice little beer that doesn't quite stand out from the pack.

Rayek, Jan 22, 2014
3.46/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

odd beer, confused to say the least, but I don't dislike it all the way, I just don't need a whole four pack of cans, half of one is more than enough. reddish copper in color, pretty clear, with over an inch of frothing and thick white head, lovely looks really, English caramel tones. nose is hoppy but smoked from the chocolate malt, which makes it a little too malty for a big ipa, its balanced, but not really in a palatable way to me. its the same in taste, not overly hoppy, which in this case is a problem for the style, but I like the bitter finish, and I guess I don't hate the grain bill, but its all too big to be nuanced and special, alcoholic, especially at room temperature. my second beer from big choice following their red, and I really didn't care for it, although I appreciate its freshness, citric hops and chocolate malts don't really go together super well, and I don't really care to try this again, but I appreciate that's its something different, its just a miss in my eyes, despite its quality. still interested in big choice of course, don't let this turn you off.

StonedTrippin, Dec 06, 2013