Disconnected Red - Big Choice Brewing, LLC

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 08-27-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by hiphopj5:

3.41/5  rDev -6.8%

16 oz can. Pours ruby amber with a medium frothy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet sugary caramel and toffee malt with some nuttiness.

The flavor is sweet nutty caramel and toffee malt with a big resiny piney hop finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a decent hoppy red.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to the previous reviewer, the legendary woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a gark amberish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by hops. Taste is also a bit on the hoppy side, a bit of pine, kind of bitter for the style. Just a slight touch of malts are present. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.06/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a balloon glass.

The beer is a nice dark ruby amber color. A Swiss coffee (paint) colored head recedes to a chunky film. Loads of foamy lacing.

The aroma is a combination of roasted malts that bring out some chocolate, and spruce and pine in the hop bill.

The taste is dominated by cedar woodiness, piny hops, and and very faint chocolate maltiness. Spicy in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, slightly dry.

Overall, a little more complex after the first few sips. Really good, this one.

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The Old Lady was like a modern Siren, enticing me to come out and visit her in what I now refer to as CANorado. I made the long journey westward, only to find that my amorous feelings for her were MUCH stronger than her reciprocal feelings for me. Ah, ma coeur! In the meantime, she was a most gracious hostess and a like mind, which made it all the more painful. Towards the end of my visit, I compiled my shopping list and went all over town, gathering and buying CANs like it was my first time. The look on the babe's face when she came down from her place of work to help me stow all of my CAN booty in her vehicle was priceless. She could not believe that I had hauled so much around on public trans by myself nor that my (relatively) small frame could carry it, period. I am like an insect, capable of lifting 1000x my body weight, but I was pretty sore for a few days afterward. This will be my last in the wondrous event known as New Beer Sunday (week 445 - Labor Day weekend version).

From the CAN: "Choose wisely".

The Crack once again revealed a brimful CAN and since all signs pointed forward, I proceeded with an inverted Glug to maximum benefit. I got a big, billowing two fingers of dense, tawny head off of my pour, which quickly settled to the point of drinkability. Color was a hazy coppery-red. Do I mind haze? No, I mind filtration to the point of stripping away flavor profiles. Nose was full-on grapefruit-citrus. Oh my. mouthfeel was kind of thin, but once again, is that really for what I am drinking beer? Heck, no! The sticky lacing that immediately began to form was beautiful and it may need a cold chisel and hammer to remove later, but that will be then while this is now. I swear that the hops were citrusy on the nose, but they came off as minty on the tongue. Chameleonic hops, or else I was losing my edge after a full day of drinking and reviewing. Finish was lip-smacking, paddy-whacking, give the dog a bone delicious. I often allude to the old Schlitz print ad in which they they touted "Just a kiss of the hops." This was more like a French kiss, accompanied by some heavy petting. Hey, I'll take third base at this point with the option to bring myself home on my own. CANnect with DisCANnected if you CAN. I have one or two for trade.

3.39/5  rDev -7.4%

3.35/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

When the struggles of "IPA?"or "Red Ale?" come up, there's only one logical answer- both! And for new start-up breweries, its that kind of fusion that incites creativity to allow their beers to stand apart.

But if its a pale, then the darkness ensues. The hoppy ale pours with a rusty crimson color with ruby highlights. A deeply creamy head emerges from the beer and crowns it with an ivory-white column of foam. As its head slowly recedes, it laces the glass with tremendous sheets of froth, yet its head still outlasts the session with ease.

Malt aromatics kick things off with a bold and rounded scent of deep caramel, even toffee. Bread crust turns to medium toast and a nutty-grainy taste that reminds me of "Cracker Jacks" ballpark candies. Riding along side are the fruit esters and fruit flavors that combine for a taste of citrus, red apples, stemmy bark and a glimmer of lemon. Lightly spiced with cinnamon and woodish hops, the finish is both citrusy and broadly spiced as if part American and part English. Even a light buttery taste and scent reinforces an English character.

Medium bodied throughout, the beer's sweetish start certainly sings the praises of American Red Ales but interferes with the dry drinkability of IPA. Finishing with light warmth and semi-dry tendencies, the beer is well balanced between malt and hops, but gives up some bruised fruit character, yeasty slickness and grain-derived astringency.

The hoppy red ale direction will certainly gain traction for Big Choice Brewing- its a wonderful upstart ale with some minor defects. A higher rate of attenuation would clean up the light diacetyl and acetaldehyde flavors and textures along with drying the beer and pulling it even closer to the texture of IPA but retaining the flavor of Red. I wish these guys luck in developing a stronger portfolio of ales

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Disconnected Red from Big Choice Brewing, LLC
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.