Nourri Au Fourrage - Solemn Oath Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Solemn Oath Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 05-17-2012)
Reviews by Chaney:

Picked up a growler of this from the brewery.

Served in a Solemn Oath glass.

A: Poured black as the Ace of Spades, with a whopping malted milk ball-esque, beige head that clung to the glass as the liquid was siphoned.

S: More IBUs than I was expecting. Pretty awesome, yet understander. Not a dessert, more like slightly overdone toast with some raw cacao spread on top.

T: At first, I noticed the bitterness, then, I got some artificially flavored grape popsicle which was totally divine.

M: I didn't think this was thin like many have stated, especially considering the somewhat session able octane.

O: Quite excellent in my opinion. I just refilled my glass.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Black with a tan head. Poured from a bomber bottle. Good lacing, rock hard head. Malt and light fruit aroma. Slightly mineral character. Roasted malt dominates flavor, warm alcohol, smooth mouthfeel. Good milk stout, not sweet, good example of the style.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

I wanted to like this, but its not a milk/sweet stout. Its a Black IPA. I know Solemn Oath likes to use a lot of hops in their beer, but I wish they would let some of the softer, malty notes come forward in this one. Instead, I just got bitter hops that overwhelmed the other flavors of the beer.

I won't get this again, but if you like Black IPAs, you may want to give this a shot. If you let this one sit for 6 months, I bet some of the hop bitterness may fade a bit.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Served in a willibecher at Farmhouse Tavern.

My final (draft) beer of this excursion is gonna be another Solemn Oath brew. I have zero problem with this. It pours a straight onyx topped by a finger of very light sienna foam. The nose comprises dark chocolate, very light molasses, and roasted malts. The taste brings in more of the same, with a sort of barbecue-style roastiness hanging over the proceedings, as though some pork (bacon?) had been smoked nearby whilst this was brewed, the air's essence captured forever in the keg until consumption released it for my tongue to behold. Right on. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, a highly enjoyable, very tasty, and easily drinkable milk stout. This is easily my favorite SO beer thus far, and I hope to see more from them sooner rather than later.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark ruby/nearly black body, light tan creamy head, moderate lacing that quickly retreats back to the body. No carbonation.

S: Hops. Mostly citrus resin, traces of pine. Any roasted malt is an afterthought. I'm worried.

T: Stout-ish. The hops are still present but have taken a back seat to roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, and semi-sweet milk. Mostly bitter, some redeeming balances of sweetness.

M: Finally, a stout quality. Creamy, almost fluffy. Nicely thick, mostly smooth but the requisite carbonation.

O: Someone tried making a black IPA but dropped their chocolate frappuccino in the batch. It was good, and I can't fault them too much because the bottle's description was accurate, except for the listed style. I was braced for it, and I enjoyed it.

Nourri Au Fourrage from Solemn Oath Brewery