Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

The Highbinder | Societe Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Societe Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

Amber aged in wine barrels for two years with Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and Brettanomyces, and raspberries added.

Added by HopHead84 on 08-21-2014

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 12
4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

08/20/2014

On tap at O'Brien's. Finally, I'm able to try an elusive Societe sour. I understand this to be a sour amber/blond aged in wine barrels for two years with raspberries added at some point. I enjoyed three snifters of this beer.

It's orange kissed red in appearance with a finger of white froth. Nice color. The aroma is exceedingly expressive, bursting with tart and lightly sweet raspberry flesh and seed, as well as lactic character. Notes of oak, leather, and vanilla mingle with a whisper of vinegar, but raspberry is the main attraction and my focus always returns to it. Complex and fruity.

The flavor is tart and mildly sweet raspberry with pie crust and just a hint of acetic character that's washed away with a pleasant lemon-like citric acidity midpalate, and an evenhanded lactic sourness. The beer exhibits balance in all the desirable areas, while exerting its strong point in the fruit category. Nice oak and tannins are evident in the piquant raspberry finish. The beer is lower medium in body with an upper medium level of carbonation and a dry mouthfeel.

There has been much silence surrounding the status of Societe's sours, so it's nice to finally be able to try one for myself. This far exceeded my expectations and I really hope this is representative of the majority of their barrels and not just one of the good barrels picked for an event. I'm very happy I stopped by O'Brien's tonight.

The Highbinder from Societe Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.