The Pupil - Societe Brewing Co.

The Pupil
No picture.

Societe Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 05-31-2012

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very clean tasting ipa. Best way I can describe it. Juicy tropical fruit notes, almost non existent malt backbone and perfect level of bitterness. Super balanced and drinkable. (179 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From the growler, which was filled the night before last.

A: Transparent and yellow with a good amount of visible carbonation. There's also a good amount of lacing on the glass. It looks a little deceiving as the appearance resembles a lager with lacing.

S: I can smell a pleasant mixture of hops (smells like nelson-sauvon and citra). Some fruitiness mixed with dankness... I love it.

T: This IPA tastes fantastic. The hop flavors come rushing forward without overwhelming the palate. This smells like it tastes, but more amplified. Wonderful!

M: A light, crisp, dry mouth feel that I love in IPAs (much like all their IPAs). A good amount of carbonation which goes perfectly with that dank, nelson flavor that I love.

O: This is one of my favorite IPAs in San Diego. Every time I stop by Societe, I fill 2 growlers (their growlers are awesome, by the way). This beer is reminiscent of a few VT beers I've had, but slightly less juicy and more dialed down. I wish I could get this in cans, but I'm always happy to stop by the brewery to get my fill. If you're ever in San Diego, get this beer! (1,106 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Several draft pours at DC Savor, including my second pour of the night so palate was a blank slate. Could not tell if this keg was old, but it was a bit of a malt bomb, old-school IPA. Was quite disappointed. (208 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

At being a piney, resinous, clear bodied, West Coast IPA, it excels tremendously. Compares to Pliny but I think this is better. All around fantastic flavors and aromas. (168 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

First beer from Societe and I am thoroughly impressed. Hops, heavy citrus, and some pine. Tasty and well balanced. Very East Coast, a la Alchemist and Trillium. (160 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -11.4%

Very tropical. Had on tap in a north San Diego restaurant. Wish I had the pour at society. Didn't taste as fresh as it would be there. Happy with this IPA. (155 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Unfortunately, this pour from growler was mostly flat...a gift from a good friend who just wanted to share the opportunity, but alas, by the time I had it, the beer had lost a lot of its freshness and punch. Looking forward to trying it again, but more fresh. (260 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Reviewed from notes, I had this in the Societe tasting room. Taking a break from a long work week, I decided to spend the weekend in San Diego, & this place was at the top of my list of places to visit.

The pour is a very light yellow, like that big ball of fire in the sky we haven’t seen in weeks during a Minnesota February. Lacy, if you care about that sort of thing. Big tropical fruit & citrus nose puts me on notice: this ain’t no Midwest IPA. It whispers sweetly…nothings? Let’s see.

The Pupil I wasn’t digging after a couple of sips, but opens up like a Silversun Pickups album after a few sips. Rough pineapple & mango assault the senses immediately, stunning the tongue into silence & confusion. After a pause to collect my taste buds, I go back in. The fruit is followed by a bracing bitterness that scours the mouthskin like steel wool. Good, loving steel wool. And the bitterness just builds from there, until I’m casting about for a palate cleanser. So good, this is the one Societe beer that I went back for more. Mmmmm.

At first I thought this was a slow kid zone, but as it warmed, this beer gained mad respect. Anybody who can get the bright fruit & a wicked bitterness knows what they’re doing. Excellent & very close to world-class. (1,273 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Really pleasantly surprised by this beer. I had a draft pint immediately following a pint of Pliny the Elder and was fearful that I might not taste it at all. I was wrong. Excellent grassy citrus aroma and a full round mouthfeel with excellent flavor and a smooth finish which did not dry out the back of my palate. Highly recommend that you seek this out. (360 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This pours a golden hay color with a strong grassy hop presence coming across. The flavor shows more grass with a light, chewy yet clean finish. Hop forward West Coast IPA done up exceptionally well. (199 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Brewed in the San Diego IPA style with the over the top hop character. Nelson Sauvin hops give the beer a settle rye like spice. Strong citrus and floral notes. Beautifully balanced with a crisp clean maltyness. If you are lucky enough to find yourself in the middle of the epic San Diego beer scene, grab one of these as a classic example of the West Coast Style IPA. You will not be disappointed! (400 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Light gold. No carbonation. No had to speak of. Mild lacing.
Dank reminded me of college and smoking a bowl.
Societe has many IPA this one stands out.
Very crisp and clean.
will drink this all day every day when it's bottled. (231 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Societe. The belle of their lineup.

Big pungent tropical fruit and citrus nose, with a blend of pineapple, mango, ripe tangelos, juicy, tangy and fragrant, intense and pure in expression. The palate is rather devoid of malt, focusing instead on the resiny and pungency that hops can bring(yay!), intensely fruity and moderately bitter. Long, drying, resiny finish with really oily Minneola-like fruity, tangy, brightness. Most excellent. (448 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on tap at Bottlecraft SD. Pours a beautiful bright yellow. About as clear a beer as you can have with a nice head that holds up well. The nose is huge tropical fruit - in addition to the mango and pineapple notes, I dug out guava to go along with the fantastically balanced hops. Clearly several hop additions going on with this beer given the complex yet subtle flavors happening here. Mouth feel is perfect. All in all a lovely beer. (449 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

This is my first review and I'm starting off with a stellar beer from my current favorite Brewery in California. I'm going to keep this straight and to the point for now.

Appearance: substantially clear and transparent. You can see right through this clean, beautiful beer. Moderate white head. Thins out quickly.

Aroma: this aroma really does put you in a coma. The smell is pure ecstasy. Tropical as hell. I smell Mango, pineapple, fresh hops, some citrus. I'm not even sure what else but it's incredible. Best nose a beer can emit.

Taste: Flawless. Balanced masterfully. I don't know how Travis and Doug do it. 7.5% ABV is concealed in an excellent fashion. This beer is utter bliss to my taste buds. I'm not going to lie, I don't know all the hop varieties that compose this beer but they are an incredible combination. I love the piney goodness and the bitterness level is hit right on the nail for this one. Of course there is some citrus and grapefruit notes. Not sure how the taste could improve much more.

Mouthfeel: oral orgasm. smooth. silky. yummy. dry crisp finish.

Overall: I cannot say enough great things about this beer. It's overall the type of beer I seek and it's a shame its not very easy to find in Orange County, particularly Irvine where I reside. This beer has everything I look for in a quality craft beer: quality hop flavor, not so much weird maltiness that can distract from the hop and pine action and perfect medium carbonation and mouthfeel. The Apprentice is also ridiculously tasty and amazing but I feel the Pupil might be ever so slightly better. (pretty much a tie)

Go to Societe in San Diego pronto!!!

These guys and Alpine are the best breweries in SoCal. (1,703 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

A soft, citrus pithy take on an IPA that is tasty though perhaps not distinctive. Got a touch watery for me as it went. I like it...but I'm not sure I'm on the bandwagon like everyone else seems to be. (201 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Cocina Urbana in San Diego, CA. Also had this on tap at Societe the day before. Either way, this was served in a pint glass 12/15/2014.

A- Clear yellow, with a hint of orange and copper hue, half finger white head with nice retention time and lots of lacing. It looks especially refreshing.

S- Clean pine and grapefruit aromas, very minimal pale malt dryness. Not grainy or overly sweet. Just clean hoppiness. Not complicated at all, which I appreciate.

F- Citrus, grapefruit, pine. Straight up hops, with a very basic pale malt backbone acting as a blank canvas for the hop additions. Bitter pine on the finish that isn't resinous at all. It is all hop flavour rather than hop resins.

M- Medium bodied, although on the thinner side. Finishes very dry, as expected of the west coast style. Bitter pine finish that is clean without the resinous nature that a lot of beers bring.

O- Very nice example of the West Coast style IPA. Clean hoppiness with minimal resin and high attenuation, leaving a bone dry finish that remains refreshing. Very nice IPA.

Final score: 4.30 (1,084 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Brilliantly clear straw golden body topped with a tight one finger head. Patchy lacing remains after a swirl. Beautiful beer.

S: Bright citrus and mango up front, followed by a hint of pine. More nondescript sweet tropical fruit as it warms. Very well put together nose, not overly potent, but extremely well composed.

T: Sweet citrus and tropical fruit once again, layered with dry crackery malt. Gentle bitterness in the finish. Damn this is drinkable. No trace of the ABV.

M: Bone dry and light bodied with a soft carbonation. Perfect vehicle for the succinct flavors.

O: A refined and subtle take on a style that generally is an effing sledgehammer in this part of the country. An exercise in balance and drinkability rather than blow your doors off flavors and bitterness. I could literally drink this all day and can't believe the ABV is as high as it is. Well done Societe! (888 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz glass on-tap at The Rare Barrel.

A: Served a light clear golden straw color with a greasy bright white head that faded into a faint scum. Great sticky rings of lace were left down the glass.
S: Passion fruits and tropical hop notes are strong. There's also some slight wintergreen mint and something more herbal. Very fruity smelling.
T: Huge tropical fruit nectar hops follow the nose. Very juicy, sweet, and fruity. There's a touch of pale grainy malt in the finish, but not much. I also get flavors of mango, tangerine, and touch of pepper. The aftertaste is slightly herbal and maybe minty, but overall the fruit lingers all the way through.
M: Very clean with a drying finish; medium body with a nice greasy hop oiliness to it. Smooth and subtle carbonation. Not especially bitter.
O: An amazing ipa, and one of the better ones I've had in recent memory. I would love to drink this often. (902 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

everytime i taste ipa thats so flavorful yet delicate, i think of vermont, and of the way the likes of hill farmstead, lawsons, and the alchemist make hoppy beer. they dont have that high resin feel, they dont have the sticky oily thing going on, and usually dont have the honey sweetness the hops can provide either. they tend to be well integrated, feature some amount of grain character, a softness of mouthfeel, bright aromatics, and a cleaner, less bitter finish. thats why i was so surprised to learn that this beer was made in san diego, it feels so vermont to me. so highly refined, well understood, and balanced brilliantly. its not that that hops or hop varietals are anything new to my palate, it seems a bit of new world tropical fruity stuff with the classic northwest high alpha C varietals. its the way they are dosed here, no harshness from bitterness or plant matter at all, and that softness that comes from baby bubble carbonation and really dry finishing yeast. the dry hopping is where the magic happens here. its so clean and yet big. the abv is really rather gnarly, but its never detected in the drinking experience of this beer. its almost more like a big pale ale than an ipa, considering its balance. beautiful beer, i could happily drink this one forever. great introduction to this brewery for me. (1,326 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

On draft at Pizza Port, Carlsbad.

Facing an amazing draft list, obviously including Pizza Port offering, I started off my evening with this gem.

The smell is amazing, taste is out of this world and mouth feel was tremendous considering the light malt. Very highly recommended. (279 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +10.5%

I had this for the first time at the Stone 17th Anniversary Party-- phenomenal. This is a beer with great balance and an awesome hop flavor. Born in San Diego, land of the IPA, this is one of the best. The aroma is fantastic, the taste is even better. (251 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -0.7%

64oz growler poured into a Cantillon Degustation Glass, enjoyed on 6.7.14, reviewed from tasting journal.

The beer pours a hazy, golden straw color, surprisingly opaque with a thick white head, about a finger or so with great retention and nice lace. The aroma is super juicy, plenty of tropical fruity hops, honey, citrus, mostly grapefruit peel with a bit of tangerine juiciness, bitterness is light and it has a nice floral character as well. The flavors are wonderful, big, juicy hops, pineapple, mango, tangerine, grapefruit, dank wildflower and grassy earthiness, not too bitter, not too dry, with a soft, doughy malt backbone. The body is nice, sticky, juicy and coats the mouth super well, perfect carbonation that finishes fairly dry, but not too bitingly so.

Verdict: A wonderful IPA from Societe, very reminiscent of a Hill Farmstead IPA, rustic, juicy and lightly malty that doesn't detract from the hops at all. It's refreshing, complex and very well balanced, a lovely IPA. (989 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1797th Review on BA
Growler to Societe Goblet
1L

App- Super light like a hazy wheat beer with a nice big white head. I am really surprised by the color on this one. A good head with frothy white bubbles. A good amount of sticky cling.

Smell- Tropical fruits and wheaty hops. The aroma is very light with the almost wheat beer esque aroma taking over. I get some pineapple, some wheat, some grass and a little bit of lemon peel on the nose.

Taste- I have noticed the last few IPAs I have had have been on the smaller flavor profile but wonderfully layered. I like how this has the tropical fruits with the pineapple, mango and lemon. The balance of the wheat and hops are striking to me. I like the flavor on this one. Different is definitely good.

Mouth- A smaller medium body with a medium carbonation level on this. The residual flavors of wheat, pineapple and lemon peel are quite nice. A smaller grassy flavor remains as well.

Drink- I can say this is one of a kind. A full growler IMO is the way to go. A glass just doesnt cut it really. I was very glad I made the trek back down to try this one. I will be sure to bring my growler back. (1,149 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft at Societe

A-Very hazy yellow straw with almost 1/2 finger head but yet leaves a nice lacing.

S-Mango, light tropical fruits, and oranges. This carries a seductive smell but found it rather weak and you really got to work the nose.

T-Oranges and mangos strike first, light cotton candy and a hint of pine bitterness towards the end.

M-Light pretty much all the way around with a hint of bitterness.

O-Very excellent IPA they need I bottle this stuff! (471 characters)

The Pupil from Societe Brewing Co.