The Pupil - Societe Brewing Co.

The Pupil
No picture.

Societe Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 05-31-2012

Ratings: 708 | Reviews: 75
4.65/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From the growler, which was filled the night before last.

A: Transparent and yellow with a good amount of visible carbonation. There's also a good amount of lacing on the glass. It looks a little deceiving as the appearance resembles a lager with lacing.

S: I can smell a pleasant mixture of hops (smells like nelson-sauvon and citra). Some fruitiness mixed with dankness... I love it.

T: This IPA tastes fantastic. The hop flavors come rushing forward without overwhelming the palate. This smells like it tastes, but more amplified. Wonderful!

M: A light, crisp, dry mouth feel that I love in IPAs (much like all their IPAs). A good amount of carbonation which goes perfectly with that dank, nelson flavor that I love.

O: This is one of my favorite IPAs in San Diego. Every time I stop by Societe, I fill 2 growlers (their growlers are awesome, by the way). This beer is reminiscent of a few VT beers I've had, but slightly less juicy and more dialed down. I wish I could get this in cans, but I'm always happy to stop by the brewery to get my fill. If you're ever in San Diego, get this beer!

4.67/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pretty damn good. I absolutely love the smell. Taste is very citrusy and juicy

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled at SAVOR 2015. Very clean hoppy citrus. Not ground breaking, but solid.

3.62/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Several draft pours at DC Savor, including my second pour of the night so palate was a blank slate. Could not tell if this keg was old, but it was a bit of a malt bomb, old-school IPA. Was quite disappointed.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

At being a piney, resinous, clear bodied, West Coast IPA, it excels tremendously. Compares to Pliny but I think this is better. All around fantastic flavors and aromas.

4.64/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

First beer from Societe and I am thoroughly impressed. Hops, heavy citrus, and some pine. Tasty and well balanced. Very East Coast, a la Alchemist and Trillium.

4.24/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tried via fresh 32 oz Growler. Excellent light IPA with an almost Smooth Vanilla finish.

3.96/5  rDev -10.6%

Very tropical. Had on tap in a north San Diego restaurant. Wish I had the pour at society. Didn't taste as fresh as it would be there. Happy with this IPA.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Unfortunately, this pour from growler was mostly flat...a gift from a good friend who just wanted to share the opportunity, but alas, by the time I had it, the beer had lost a lot of its freshness and punch. Looking forward to trying it again, but more fresh.

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%

Reviewed from notes, I had this in the Societe tasting room. Taking a break from a long work week, I decided to spend the weekend in San Diego, & this place was at the top of my list of places to visit.

The pour is a very light yellow, like that big ball of fire in the sky we haven’t seen in weeks during a Minnesota February. Lacy, if you care about that sort of thing. Big tropical fruit & citrus nose puts me on notice: this ain’t no Midwest IPA. It whispers sweetly…nothings? Let’s see.

The Pupil I wasn’t digging after a couple of sips, but opens up like a Silversun Pickups album after a few sips. Rough pineapple & mango assault the senses immediately, stunning the tongue into silence & confusion. After a pause to collect my taste buds, I go back in. The fruit is followed by a bracing bitterness that scours the mouthskin like steel wool. Good, loving steel wool. And the bitterness just builds from there, until I’m casting about for a palate cleanser. So good, this is the one Societe beer that I went back for more. Mmmmm.

At first I thought this was a slow kid zone, but as it warmed, this beer gained mad respect. Anybody who can get the bright fruit & a wicked bitterness knows what they’re doing. Excellent & very close to world-class.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Really pleasantly surprised by this beer. I had a draft pint immediately following a pint of Pliny the Elder and was fearful that I might not taste it at all. I was wrong. Excellent grassy citrus aroma and a full round mouthfeel with excellent flavor and a smooth finish which did not dry out the back of my palate. Highly recommend that you seek this out.

4.36/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A very well balanced IPA.
Golden amber, nearly perfect head
Pleasant bitterness complimented by a slight floral bouquet blend.

4.78/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This pours a golden hay color with a strong grassy hop presence coming across. The flavor shows more grass with a light, chewy yet clean finish. Hop forward West Coast IPA done up exceptionally well.

4.83/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Brewed in the San Diego IPA style with the over the top hop character. Nelson Sauvin hops give the beer a settle rye like spice. Strong citrus and floral notes. Beautifully balanced with a crisp clean maltyness. If you are lucky enough to find yourself in the middle of the epic San Diego beer scene, grab one of these as a classic example of the West Coast Style IPA. You will not be disappointed!

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%

Light gold. No carbonation. No had to speak of. Mild lacing.
Dank reminded me of college and smoking a bowl.
Societe has many IPA this one stands out.
Very crisp and clean.
will drink this all day every day when it's bottled.

4.76/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

In love with this beer. If available in bottles my fridge would always be stocked. Guess growlers will have to do.

4.49/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Societe. The belle of their lineup.

Big pungent tropical fruit and citrus nose, with a blend of pineapple, mango, ripe tangelos, juicy, tangy and fragrant, intense and pure in expression. The palate is rather devoid of malt, focusing instead on the resiny and pungency that hops can bring(yay!), intensely fruity and moderately bitter. Long, drying, resiny finish with really oily Minneola-like fruity, tangy, brightness. Most excellent.

4.6/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on tap at Bottlecraft SD. Pours a beautiful bright yellow. About as clear a beer as you can have with a nice head that holds up well. The nose is huge tropical fruit - in addition to the mango and pineapple notes, I dug out guava to go along with the fantastically balanced hops. Clearly several hop additions going on with this beer given the complex yet subtle flavors happening here. Mouth feel is perfect. All in all a lovely beer.

4.99/5  rDev +12.6%

This is my first review and I'm starting off with a stellar beer from my current favorite Brewery in California. I'm going to keep this straight and to the point for now.

Appearance: substantially clear and transparent. You can see right through this clean, beautiful beer. Moderate white head. Thins out quickly.

Aroma: this aroma really does put you in a coma. The smell is pure ecstasy. Tropical as hell. I smell Mango, pineapple, fresh hops, some citrus. I'm not even sure what else but it's incredible. Best nose a beer can emit.

Taste: Flawless. Balanced masterfully. I don't know how Travis and Doug do it. 7.5% ABV is concealed in an excellent fashion. This beer is utter bliss to my taste buds. I'm not going to lie, I don't know all the hop varieties that compose this beer but they are an incredible combination. I love the piney goodness and the bitterness level is hit right on the nail for this one. Of course there is some citrus and grapefruit notes. Not sure how the taste could improve much more.

Mouthfeel: oral orgasm. smooth. silky. yummy. dry crisp finish.

Overall: I cannot say enough great things about this beer. It's overall the type of beer I seek and it's a shame its not very easy to find in Orange County, particularly Irvine where I reside. This beer has everything I look for in a quality craft beer: quality hop flavor, not so much weird maltiness that can distract from the hop and pine action and perfect medium carbonation and mouthfeel. The Apprentice is also ridiculously tasty and amazing but I feel the Pupil might be ever so slightly better. (pretty much a tie)

Go to Societe in San Diego pronto!!!

These guys and Alpine are the best breweries in SoCal.

4.31/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Cocina Urbana in San Diego, CA. Also had this on tap at Societe the day before. Either way, this was served in a pint glass 12/15/2014.

A- Clear yellow, with a hint of orange and copper hue, half finger white head with nice retention time and lots of lacing. It looks especially refreshing.

S- Clean pine and grapefruit aromas, very minimal pale malt dryness. Not grainy or overly sweet. Just clean hoppiness. Not complicated at all, which I appreciate.

F- Citrus, grapefruit, pine. Straight up hops, with a very basic pale malt backbone acting as a blank canvas for the hop additions. Bitter pine on the finish that isn't resinous at all. It is all hop flavour rather than hop resins.

M- Medium bodied, although on the thinner side. Finishes very dry, as expected of the west coast style. Bitter pine finish that is clean without the resinous nature that a lot of beers bring.

O- Very nice example of the West Coast style IPA. Clean hoppiness with minimal resin and high attenuation, leaving a bone dry finish that remains refreshing. Very nice IPA.

Final score: 4.30

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Brilliantly clear straw golden body topped with a tight one finger head. Patchy lacing remains after a swirl. Beautiful beer.

S: Bright citrus and mango up front, followed by a hint of pine. More nondescript sweet tropical fruit as it warms. Very well put together nose, not overly potent, but extremely well composed.

T: Sweet citrus and tropical fruit once again, layered with dry crackery malt. Gentle bitterness in the finish. Damn this is drinkable. No trace of the ABV.

M: Bone dry and light bodied with a soft carbonation. Perfect vehicle for the succinct flavors.

O: A refined and subtle take on a style that generally is an effing sledgehammer in this part of the country. An exercise in balance and drinkability rather than blow your doors off flavors and bitterness. I could literally drink this all day and can't believe the ABV is as high as it is. Well done Societe!

4.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz glass on-tap at The Rare Barrel.

A: Served a light clear golden straw color with a greasy bright white head that faded into a faint scum. Great sticky rings of lace were left down the glass.
S: Passion fruits and tropical hop notes are strong. There's also some slight wintergreen mint and something more herbal. Very fruity smelling.
T: Huge tropical fruit nectar hops follow the nose. Very juicy, sweet, and fruity. There's a touch of pale grainy malt in the finish, but not much. I also get flavors of mango, tangerine, and touch of pepper. The aftertaste is slightly herbal and maybe minty, but overall the fruit lingers all the way through.
M: Very clean with a drying finish; medium body with a nice greasy hop oiliness to it. Smooth and subtle carbonation. Not especially bitter.
O: An amazing ipa, and one of the better ones I've had in recent memory. I would love to drink this often.

4.46/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

everytime i taste ipa thats so flavorful yet delicate, i think of vermont, and of the way the likes of hill farmstead, lawsons, and the alchemist make hoppy beer. they dont have that high resin feel, they dont have the sticky oily thing going on, and usually dont have the honey sweetness the hops can provide either. they tend to be well integrated, feature some amount of grain character, a softness of mouthfeel, bright aromatics, and a cleaner, less bitter finish. thats why i was so surprised to learn that this beer was made in san diego, it feels so vermont to me. so highly refined, well understood, and balanced brilliantly. its not that that hops or hop varietals are anything new to my palate, it seems a bit of new world tropical fruity stuff with the classic northwest high alpha C varietals. its the way they are dosed here, no harshness from bitterness or plant matter at all, and that softness that comes from baby bubble carbonation and really dry finishing yeast. the dry hopping is where the magic happens here. its so clean and yet big. the abv is really rather gnarly, but its never detected in the drinking experience of this beer. its almost more like a big pale ale than an ipa, considering its balance. beautiful beer, i could happily drink this one forever. great introduction to this brewery for me.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

On draft at Pizza Port, Carlsbad.

Facing an amazing draft list, obviously including Pizza Port offering, I started off my evening with this gem.

The smell is amazing, taste is out of this world and mouth feel was tremendous considering the light malt. Very highly recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

Seriously amazing beer. Probably one of the best IPAs in San Diego!

The Pupil from Societe Brewing Co.