Follow our progress ...

3.1

Reviews: 72 | Ratings: 213
4.77/5  rDev +53.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm a new guy to the taste testing; most of the double bocks and stouts taste like burnt coffee to me; the IPA's are way too bitter. I've found some wheat ales that are pretty good and Weihenstephaner's Vitus bock beer is pretty good. I'm surprised to find that I really like Shiner bock, though it's just a wee bit on the watered down side at 4.6 ABV?
The Busch Copper Lager tastes similar to Shiner Bock but with a little more body and a wee bit more ABV.
So, bottom line I love it; but still looking.

3.48/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I originally bought this beer in a bottled 6-pack because of the label. It looked pretty and nostalgic I guess. Well I really liked it, so I bought a 25oz can from the store tonight after work to do this review.
Look- The best feature of this beer. It pours with a nice thick head that lingers. The beer itself is a very nice almond color that looks like copper, hence the name I guess. Looks like a lighter colored soda pop.
Smell- It smells like a normal American lager. The beer smells of malt upfront with hints of corn and almonds.
Taste- The beer tastes the way it smells, lots of grain. Watered down corn and Maltiness seem to jump out at me. It's got a smooth and very sweet aftertaste. Nothing really jumps out at you as an overpowering flavor though, just bits and pieces.
Feel-The beer goes down very easy and smooth like a normal lager. It is easy Drinking with nothing overpowering.
Overall- This is a beer is not that bad. Even a stingy beer drinker should try this. It's not that bad, but it is a little plain.

3.19/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a 25 oz can at Lowes Foods. Handsome reddish amber color with orange highlights. Head shows solid resiliancy for a few minutes at least. Nose is caramel malt and sprobably some sugary adjuncts. Call it a guess.

Broad, refreshing character in the taste, with mellow malt flavors and just a hint of hops. Texture could be tightened a touch but for the style holds 5.7% with surprising ease.

This is an inexpensiive option when you just feel like having a basic lager.

3.04/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

$7.88 for a TWELVE pack with a saver grocery card. Couldn't resist not trying this one, especially when I'm used to those $8 bombers.

Poured into a duvel-inspired pint glass. Looks as it says, a murky muddy honey color, with tinges of copper. Opacity/Transparency is 50/50 on this one. The head starts off strong at 3 fingers but as with all A/B products this one can't seem to hold on for very long before diminishing to a small ring. Kudos though, as it's still hanging around and clinging to the glass.

Aroma is sweet and semi-metallic; it has elements of well-executed roast malt and caramel, but still retains a lot of that typical adjunct "beeriness" thanks to some of the dry corn and starch. Overall it just can't escape the grasp of the macro paper-bag-type nature on the nose.

Flavor is extremely sweet and malty, almost cloyingly so. Flavors consist of sweet corn, tomato, dry barley, tobacco, and sugars. The finish is tobacco and caramel, with more sweet corn. It's got an uncanny resemblence to Budweiser regular on the finish.

Feel is starchy and sticky, with a good dose of carbonation welling up towards the middle to help push it down. The finish is starchy and sticky, just as it started.

Overall for the price paid I think I got a pretty decent lager. This isn't going to win any awards and "signature" seems to be a bit over the top, but I guess if that's their signature, this is about as good as we can expect from the Busch line. I don't think this is terrible by any strech, and a helluva lot better than Coors' Killian, and I think I'll enjoy the rest of the 12 pack out of the bottle as the days roll by. Not bad.

3.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This was about the best choice of the Exxon station I stopped at while heading back to my hotel in Grapevine, TX.

Poured into a glass, the beer is copper with a large but quickly collapsing beige head.

It has an aroma of grains and a bit of apple.

The taste is slightly sweet with grainy and grass notes. There is a bit of caramel and a bit of floral based bitterness. It has no off or odd tastes. It would be pretty easy to match with non-spicy foods.

The mouth is medium with active carbonation.

This was a pleasant surprise and priced well to boot!

3.41/5  rDev +10%

Sorry beer snobs, but this one aint bad.

Right outta the bottle :)

Sure it's from the folks at Bud and it doesn't have the cute 'craft' name (gimmicky?) or the art on the packaging that most beer kiddies seem to fall in love with but a nice beer.

Taste - not bad, goes down easy with mild adjunct aftertaste. No real head, and color is great, but I can't drink color so no big deal..

2.91/5  rDev -6.1%

25 fl oz. can, canned on June 29, 2015. Giant can gifted to me as a Christmas gift from a friend.

Poured into a Bridgeport pint glass.

A - Pours a coppery brown body, truly copper in color. Less than a finger of thin wispy bubbly head that goes down within seconds. Looks alright for what it is, I suppose.

S - Aroma is dusty & malty. Toasty & nutty. More malt forward than anything else.

T - Flavor follows the nose: cheap, dusty, grainy, malty. Mild suggestions of toasty / nutty malts. Fairly inoffensive, and not phenolic or boozy like shit like Max Ice or Steel Reserve 211.

M - Feel is smooth & crisp. Fairly easy drinking with okay carb.

Overall, not awful for what it is. Inoffensive, but not something I'd go out of my way for.

Busch Signature Copper Lager -----3/5.

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Let's be honest. Sometimes the budget gets tight and you want a relatively decent beer that doesn't drain the bank account. Just like it's hard to eat steak every night on a budget. This isn't the best beer out there, but it is good for the price point and good for what it is. This has joined a short list of go-to cheap beers for me since it is about half the cost of the average craft beer. I generally prefer quality over quantity, but... sometimes I want quantity too.

A: Thick head, but dissolved very quickly and left no remnant.
S: Not much that I can detect. More nonexistent than offensive.
T: Slightly grainy taste; smooth and easy to drink.
F: Kind of dry on the finish for me, with very little aftertaste.
O: It's very drinkable, and that's a good thing.

2.89/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a crystal clear very light amberish, close in color to a finished piece of maple wood, with a near snow white head that is gone fairly fast.
Taste: clean, nothing offensive but not much here to talk about. I get a hint of vanilla and caramel sweetness and a drying finish.
Typical american low priced macro. Thirst quenching beer with little character.

2.74/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Let's put this in perspective. This ain't no micro-brew lager. Drank from a 25 ounce can. Nice copper color, as the label says.. Smells of corn, tastes of barley and corn. It's definitely an adjunct beer. That said, it has a nice malt body, is very drinkable, the price point is low, can't ask for more when I've done a hard-days work and I need to catch a buzz for $4. Serves it purpose very well.

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%

I like to think that I'm pretty open minded. This could have been OK, in my mind. And it is. OK. Not very good, OK. Judging it as and American Amber is a huge handicap - it would fare better against a lesser category.

It pours with lots of medium sized bubbles and a decent head. It's kind of brown for the style and thus not outstanding in any way. The aroma is a clean, malty, slightly roasty smell. Not at all unappealing but not very pungent.

The taste is sweet and malty. No hops profile and just the faintest bitter aftertaste. It's clean tasting but pretty sweet. Kind of reminds me of Michelob.

These were $2.88 for a 12 pack of 12 oz bottles after rebate. How could I refuse? Life is too short to drink this kind of beer, though. Don't drink this unless you are similarly getting it almost free.

2.89/5  rDev -6.8%

Second bottle from the 12-pack. "Born on" date is June 11th, 2015. Yep, this beer is less than a month old, despite being the last 12-pack on the shelf at my local Food Lion. Must be selling pretty well around here.

Looks darker than expected, and not as bright as "copper lager" made me expect. I suppose the color can still qualify as "copper," but it's more dirty-brown-penny copper than shiny-red-orange copper. Kind of an oddly dull and murky look to it even though it's mostly clear. A bit of an off-white head of foam at first, but this quickly shrinks into a barely-there coating and then starts to fade away entirely, leaving just a little ring around the edge and "islands" inside. Bottle labeling seems all kinds of cheap (the neck label's off-center, even!), but considering this is a beer that apparently only comes in 12-packs that cost as much as a six-pack, that's not much of a surprise.

Smell is "standard beer smell" right off, shifting to a slight toasty and very faintly leafy sort of thing once the foam on top has started to fade. Not too bad. Do not allow this beer to warm up much, though -- the smell definitely becomes less pleasant as it rises beyond the "fridge temperature" range, with a somewhat gross mustiness coming out strong.

Taste is a little bit of a weird, almost artificial-seeming sweetness right off, then shifting to more of a grain/bread malty flavor which actually is pretty nice. A bit of a white bread/sweet corn sort of flavor on the aftertaste (it almost comes across as very slightly bubblegum-like sometimes, weirdly enough), with an occasional bit of weird mustiness mixed in. However, as I mentioned with the smell, allowing the beer to warm is a very bad idea. The nice malty flavors all but vanish as the weird sweetness gets much stronger and overpowers them. If there was ever a beer where the frosted pint glass is "proper glassware," this is it -- those icy mountains on the bottle aren't just decoration, they're a serving suggestion.

Feel is pretty average. Light but not to the point of being watery, and pretty fizzy, probably a little more so than I'd like. Feel seems a bit harsher at cold temperatures (or maybe it's just my teeth not liking the cold), but the smell and flavor are so much better at cold temperatures that losing the nicer "slightly warmed" mouthfeel is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Overall, I was a little too quick to judge this one when I had my first bottle yesterday -- it's actually not *that* bad if you serve it very cold. I've heard that beer being very cold mutes flavors, but in this case it only seemed to mute the one flavor I really didn't like -- allowing the nicer flavors to come through a bit more and overall saving this beer from being ranked as the second-worst I've ever tried. It's still not anything outstanding, I'd take a Yuengling Lager over this every time, but as far as beers that cost $8.99 for a 12-pack it's probably far from the worst. Just remember: drink it COLD, do not under any circumstances allow it to sit around and warm up!

2.76/5  rDev -11%

First beer review in about two and half years. I'd like to get back to it on a limited basis.

L - Pours amber with a two finger head that quick;y fades to nothing more than lace remnants.

S - this department was fairly dull. A bit of the caramel comes through but for the most part smells like any other adjunct.

t - A large dose of the typical lower end adjunct party lager at first, which gradually gets better as it goes down, turning into a decent balanced mix of caramel malt and adjunct.

F - What you'd expect for the style. Carbonated to high hell, but smooth.

O - Not the worst adjunct out there. A bit better than the average, but nothing to write home about. At least they tried.

2.36/5  rDev -23.9%

A nice amber, copper color. Small head that dissipates quickly. No lacing.

Smells and tastes like a lager. Maybe slightly better.

A little more body than the typical AAL.

This is not a bad beer. I could drink it regularly. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it wouldn't be my last either. If the price is right, I much prefer this to most macro lagers. But if for some reason it gets priced close to craft beer then I'm spending the extra dough for a micro.

2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Nice looking lager . . . That's about it, I enjoyed it for what it is. You get exactly what Busch says it is . . . a copper lager . Typical nose, taste and feel with a nice appearance.

2.79/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Looks like a very solid beer, with a deep color and decent head (though it's not retained at all, and lacing is impossible to detect) but the letdown begins from the first sniff. Skunky nose, although that doesn't carry on at full strength to the taste. Starts with a touch of rich maltiness before fading back into macro mediocrity.

3.22/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a pint can into a 10 ounce sampler. A halfway aggressive pour produces a short-lived billowing foam. The beer is copper colored with moderately high carbonation and crystal clear.

It has a malty aroma somewhat like a south German lager with just a touch of cooked veggie DMS. The flavor is smooth with a definite caramel sweetness, and perhaps some honey as well. A slight tang on the back of the tongue helps to balance the sweetness. The mouth feel has just enough viscosity to suggest a body slightly north of the usual AAL. I can't taste much of anything in the way of hop flavor, except for a very subtle base bitterness.

This is refreshing and easy to drink without the wateriness of regular Busch. It's a good choice for a hot weather brew with just enough flavor and body to set it apart from a typical AAL. I paid only $4.99 for a six pack of pint cans (cheap!).

2.68/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Got six pint cans of this for only $5.99 so I figured I would give it a try to give it a real rating. Poured into a pint glass.

Look: I was initially astounded by the deep copper-amber color this beer has! It was beautiful in the glass but the soft white head it sported diminished quickly and left no lacing. It does have an undeniable brilliance to the color I must say.

Smell: Mild grain, a touch of corn, and a nuance of yeast. Very simple aroma and I can only imagine the taste will follow suit.

Taste: Malty sweetness, a bit of grains such as corn and barley, and a bit watery. Not a full flavor like what you get from a real brewery but it isn't awful nor does it taste as cheaply as I suspected.

Feel: Crisp and clean. Actually pretty refreshing.

Overall: This is a mass produced enemy of good, craft beer but nonetheless I drank all six pints without a care after mowing the lawn. It is what it is.

2.67/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

25 fl oz aluminum can purchased at a 7-11 petrol station in Lubbock, TX and served at fridge temp into a paper cup in my hotel room (which I'd argue is apt). 5.70% ABV. Born 06AUG14. Side-poured gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

HEAD: White and foamy. Fluffy. Fairly soft-looking. Decent thickness. 3+ minute retention. No lacing.

BODY: N/A (not visible).

AROMA: Helles malts, floral hop notes, and dirty stale barley. An inoffensive aroma of light strength.

No yeast character, alcohol, off-notes, or spices are detectable.

TASTE: Helles malts. Pils malts. Barley. Feels stale and cheap throughout.

Shallow depth of flavour. Average intensity and duration of flavour. Poor flavour amplitude.

Lacks balance. No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes come through. Not a gestalt or very cohesive build. There's really nothing going on here, but to its credit, it's not watery. Too sweet.­­­

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, light-bodied, and slightly refreshing. Overcarbonated. Crisp. Too thick and hefty on the palate given the lack of deep and diverse flavours.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, rough, or scratchy.

OVERALL: A drinkable lager with some enjoyable characteristics. In its defense, unlike many shitty beers in the style, it isn't watery. And it could be blander. Ultimately, I reckon it's on the low side of average. I wouldn't trifle with it again, but I'll quaff the whole can without much issue. We've all had worse.

C- (2.67)

3.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Compared to other "ambers" (save Michelob AmberBock) that I've had recently, this is so much better. Granted the couple I've had have been Vienna lagers, but the Abita doesn't call itself a Vienna, it says Amber. This is what I'm used to tasting when I think of an amber. It is reminiscent of AmberBock, but the upfront flavor isn't quite as strong. It's better than Black Crown in my opinion. The only downside to it is that it really doesn't have any significant smell to speak of.

3.17/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is the best tasting cheap beer that I've had. A flavorful darker lager that's smooth and easy drinking. At 5.7% and under $5 for a 6-pack, you can't beat it.

2.73/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not getting much corn for an adjunct lager. Pretty good for what it claims to be. Tastes better than most at its low price point. The malt balances the taste out fairly well. I will purchase again.

3.1/5  rDev 0%

Good beer, goes down easy, smooth and very light, would drink 2-3 with good quality hot dogs, use 1 to boil the dogs in. for a large corporate beer, can't knock it, it is good.

3.35/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, "born on" date 9-1-14.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear copper color with one-finger off-white head that dissipated quickly until a ring of small bubbles remained around the glass, very little lacing, medium carbonation.

SMELL: faint bread, caramel and roasted malt, very light on the nose.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, not very sweet up front, bread and then more of a lightly roasted malt flavor followed by a mild hop bite.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: sometimes I think AB wants to delve into "craft" brewing, this would be like dipping your big toe into the deep end of the pool. It's a step in the right direction but does not go far enough for me. This is a decent beer, not unlike Sam Adams Boston Lager, just not as good. Since there are better options available I would not seek this out again.

2.42/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This drinks with evident adjuncts like a corn sweetness, and crisp rice but it has an additional caramel malt flavor. The finish is rather bitter and tinny and there's an overwhelming metallic bubblegum taste.

Busch Signature Copper Lager from Anheuser-Busch