Busch Signature Copper Lager - Anheuser-Busch

Beer added by: boilermakerbrew on 01-30-2014

to view more.
Ratings: 170 | Reviews: 58
2.68/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Got six pint cans of this for only $5.99 so I figured I would give it a try to give it a real rating. Poured into a pint glass.

Look: I was initially astounded by the deep copper-amber color this beer has! It was beautiful in the glass but the soft white head it sported diminished quickly and left no lacing. It does have an undeniable brilliance to the color I must say.

Smell: Mild grain, a touch of corn, and a nuance of yeast. Very simple aroma and I can only imagine the taste will follow suit.

Taste: Malty sweetness, a bit of grains such as corn and barley, and a bit watery. Not a full flavor like what you get from a real brewery but it isn't awful nor does it taste as cheaply as I suspected.

Feel: Crisp and clean. Actually pretty refreshing.

Overall: This is a mass produced enemy of good, craft beer but nonetheless I drank all six pints without a care after mowing the lawn. It is what it is.

2.67/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

25 fl oz aluminum can purchased at a 7-11 petrol station in Lubbock, TX and served at fridge temp into a paper cup in my hotel room (which I'd argue is apt). 5.70% ABV. Born 06AUG14. Side-poured gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

HEAD: White and foamy. Fluffy. Fairly soft-looking. Decent thickness. 3+ minute retention. No lacing.

BODY: N/A (not visible).

AROMA: Helles malts, floral hop notes, and dirty stale barley. An inoffensive aroma of light strength.

No yeast character, alcohol, off-notes, or spices are detectable.

TASTE: Helles malts. Pils malts. Barley. Feels stale and cheap throughout.

Shallow depth of flavour. Average intensity and duration of flavour. Poor flavour amplitude.

Lacks balance. No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes come through. Not a gestalt or very cohesive build. There's really nothing going on here, but to its credit, it's not watery. Too sweet.­­­

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, light-bodied, and slightly refreshing. Overcarbonated. Crisp. Too thick and hefty on the palate given the lack of deep and diverse flavours.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, rough, or scratchy.

OVERALL: A drinkable lager with some enjoyable characteristics. In its defense, unlike many shitty beers in the style, it isn't watery. And it could be blander. Ultimately, I reckon it's on the low side of average. I wouldn't trifle with it again, but I'll quaff the whole can without much issue. We've all had worse.

C- (2.67)

3.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Compared to other "ambers" (save Michelob AmberBock) that I've had recently, this is so much better. Granted the couple I've had have been Vienna lagers, but the Abita doesn't call itself a Vienna, it says Amber. This is what I'm used to tasting when I think of an amber. It is reminiscent of AmberBock, but the upfront flavor isn't quite as strong. It's better than Black Crown in my opinion. The only downside to it is that it really doesn't have any significant smell to speak of.

2.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not getting much corn for an adjunct lager. Pretty good for what it claims to be. Tastes better than most at its low price point. The malt balances the taste out fairly well. I will purchase again.

3.06/5  rDev -1.6%

Not complex. A good thirst quencher.

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%

Good beer, goes down easy, smooth and very light, would drink 2-3 with good quality hot dogs, use 1 to boil the dogs in. for a large corporate beer, can't knock it, it is good.

3.35/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, "born on" date 9-1-14.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear copper color with one-finger off-white head that dissipated quickly until a ring of small bubbles remained around the glass, very little lacing, medium carbonation.

SMELL: faint bread, caramel and roasted malt, very light on the nose.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, not very sweet up front, bread and then more of a lightly roasted malt flavor followed by a mild hop bite.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: sometimes I think AB wants to delve into "craft" brewing, this would be like dipping your big toe into the deep end of the pool. It's a step in the right direction but does not go far enough for me. This is a decent beer, not unlike Sam Adams Boston Lager, just not as good. Since there are better options available I would not seek this out again.

2.42/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This drinks with evident adjuncts like a corn sweetness, and crisp rice but it has an additional caramel malt flavor. The finish is rather bitter and tinny and there's an overwhelming metallic bubblegum taste.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%

From 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Appearance: 1"+ off white head drops rapidly with no lacing. Color is clear amber with mild streaming carbonation.

Aroma: very mild, just some toasted barley, caramel, and clean water.

Mouthfeel: light, crisp and frothy with a dry finish.

Flavor: caramel, toasted barley, a bit of licorice(?) and a very mild hop presence.

Overall: pleasant and easy to drink.

4.16/5  rDev +33.8%

Comes in talls!! Good alcohol content. A working mans brew for sure!

3.46/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

New beer in my area. From a 16 oz can.
Clear dark amber or light brown with two fingers of white head that lasts about five minutes. Some lacing as the head and liquid recedes. Smell is faint grains no bad odors.
Taste is lightly sweet malts some bread crust and just enough bitterness and the end of the swallow to provide some balance.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with the usual carbonation level. Crisp and clean with just a hint of syrup in the finish. Overall an excellent alternative to most macro lagers. Good price point as well (so far). Not craft level but more in the crafty style. Reminds me of AB Black Crown.

Let me say, that my ratings are based on what it is. This is not a 'craft beer'. This is a grocery getter walmart finder American lager in the cheap economy section as far as beers. Or at least- I hope it leads to that. It is harder to find, though its fairly 'new'.

I enjoy good beer. I enjoy craft beers, micro brews, my brews, my friends brews. But at the end of the day, who can afford to drink specialty beers 100% of the time? Very few. My go-to, cheap in abundance beer has been Busch, for no particular reason other than nostalgia.

I could replace my regular Busch with this hands down. IF this becomes a regular, I will so indeed. There's nothing wrong with cheap American Lagers that are bred for cost savings and bulk. And when you can't enjoy a hearty specialty beer, this is the option for you.

Is it magical? No. Is it the best tasting beer in the world? No. Does the color, smell and pouring-laced glass head give you something to respect? No. But it is what it is! A generic run-of-the-mill American Lager that gives you SOME form of 'specialty beer' ideology while costing the same as that 30 pack of Bud you picked up on sale for $19.99 at a gas station before you're next bonfire.

It HAS smell, it HAS taste, it HAS color!

That's my rating. I'm no beer snob. I'm not a taster. I'm an average guy, who's more into beers than the next average guy.

3.6/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

16 oz can into a pint mug. What a find! But seriously. For the price, this might be the best beer out there. I don't have a lot of money, so I can't drink high-end craft 365 days/year. This is a definite step above all of the other crap and a slight bit better than PBR which was my previous cheap go-to crap. It has possibly been replaced. If I could rate this for value I'd rate it 4.75/5. It is like a cheaper, watered down SA Boston Lager. Very inoffensive and accessible.

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a clear copper/amber color with a foamy head that very quickly subsides to barely a thin lace. The smell/taste have some maltiness with no noticeable adjuncts present. I sensed just the slightest amount of alcohol heat but not enough to detract from the overall flavor. Mouth feel is a little thin and the finish is very neutral. The carbonation level is quite low. Overall an OK beer but nothing worth going out of your way to get.

This is a awesome tasting beer. Now all of us are hook on it for parties

2.41/5  rDev -22.5%

Not the worst beer of all time, but has slight metallic taste.

3.26/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, some caramel. Taste is light and mild, malts, some sweetness. Feels light in the mouth and overall is refreshing and highly drinkable, but a bit on the bland side.

3.59/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can purs a crystal clear copper color with a very nice, dense and foamy off-white head. Retention and lace are surprisingly good. AB finally got an appealing looking brew at least.

Nose is not really all that different from Busch original. Adjunct corn/rice with maybe a hint of toasted malt and a minimal whiff of leafy hops. Not all terrible, but not something I want to stick my nose in repeatedly.

Taste has a little more toasted malt than regular Busch but other than that, I really dont get much else that differs. I like Busch for an AAL, and will reach for one at the ice trough on a hot day at the gas station over any other bargain beers. This is a fine addition to the lineup and with a 5.7% ABV tag, Im game. I have trouble rating this, as an Amber Lager, this isnt all that good compared to the craftier versions, but as an Adjunct Lager (priced as one), it kicks a fair amount of ass. Im fairly impressed.

Poured from a 25 OZ can into a pint glass.
Aroma- very non-descript. maybe a hint of barley
Appearance- a nice golden copper color with a minimal head
Taste- has a nice mild flavor, not overpowering or overtly strong. a good basic beer
Palate- A mild bodied brew with mild carbonation
Overall- not a terrible beer, A-B has attempted to make an upgrade to their Busch beer and it is not bad. Won't be confused with many craft beers but it is not a bad beer to drink.

3.75/5  rDev +20.6%

DEE-CENT! (to quote Bubbles) My new favorite affordable brew.

Just saw this at Walmart last week and thought I'd take a chance. We LOVE it! I'm not really into the dark or flavored beers and hubby hates them. This is what we're drinking now and are looking fora place that sells it by the case!

3.76/5  rDev +20.9%

For $8.99 a 12 pack in the bottle at 5.7% ABV with a nice finish ... pretty good brew and better than many microbrews/craft beer on the market. It and Michelob Amberbock have a lot of similarities, even some of my high hop bitter grapefruit aftertaste enjoying friends were enjoying this one.

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%

One fine Christmas morn, I was working at a shitty little gas station. We were horrible busy since every other store was run by decent people who gave their employees the day off. But everyone was in high spirits--cheer and all that.

A man who was usually very surly came in around noon, sloshed off his ass and wearing a Santa cap. He cut the line and slammed a sixer of Busch down on the counter.

"You know what Busch stands for?" He asked, his voice all full of timbre. He was performing a bit so as to avoid getting in trouble for cutting the line.

"What?"

"Brewed Under Six Clydesdale Horses. Cus when you drink Bud, this is what you pee out!"

The crowd was mildly amused. I was amused enough to remember it 14 years later, when I noticed that AB had finally expanded Busch's product line. It's been over a decade since I last tried a Busch. When I was younger, I agreed with the drunken Santa-man--Busch tasted cheap, like they spent less money making it. Now I realize that's untrue, they only spend less money in marketing it. But still, the way the beer tastes reminds me of poverty, because empty semiotics affect my perceptions much more strongly than logic ever could.

So up front you got a really decent amber malt profile, and that gives way to a graininess that's distinct to Busch and that's objectively not bad, only it tastes like Busch and I dumbly associate that with a lack of quality. Medium bodied and very easy drinking, even in spite of my stupid prejudices.

3.56/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I confess. I recently bought a riding lawn mower and lawn mower beers have lost some of their appeal :( But the good news is this is a beer with enough body and taste to make me take note (after acknowledging its relatively low cost) Not one I will be having with the guys at a tasting but a solid beer for household chores and what not.

2.94/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

First of all, this is "cheap beer" rating. It will never hold its own against most beers reviewed here. Because of this, a 3.5 rating in any category equates to a perfect 5 rating for beers worthy of a proper review. Call it party beer, lawnmower beer, or whatever your term is.

That said, lets carry on. I've only seen these sold in 6-packs of 16oz cans for about a buck a can. The price is hard to beat. Poured from the can into a standard pint glass, chilled in a refrigerator. Being that its a pint of beer into a pint glass i stopped pouring when the foam reached the top.

A- Pretty darn good for a can beer. Amber in color with a tall head of foam that disappears faster than my money at the roulette wheel.

S- Nothing special here. Smells like cheap beer, with an ever-so-slight hint of roasted malt.

T- Again, pretty darn good for can beer. I personally like it better than any of the "big 3" canned beers. Slightly sweet, more or less balanced. You can tell its not all barley in there. Corn, rice, etc. come through like any other big co. canned beer.

M- Not overly carbonated, smooth and easy to drink, but hey, its gotta be easy to drink if it taste like this.

O- For the price, I may have found my new "cheap beer." Since i usually grab a case of High Life Light as my cheap beer choice I'll try em side by side before the final verdict. Nothing to complain about but also nothing to brag about. Much better than Miller Fortune or Bud Black.

to view more.