Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Busch Signature Copper Lager - Anheuser-Busch

Busch Signature Copper LagerBusch Signature Copper Lager

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: boilermakerbrew on 01-30-2014

Just saw this at Walmart last week and thought I'd take a chance. We LOVE it! I'm not really into the dark or flavored beers and hubby hates them. This is what we're drinking now and are looking fora place that sells it by the case! (234 characters)

Let me say, that my ratings are based on what it is. This is not a 'craft beer'. This is a grocery getter walmart finder American lager in the cheap economy section as far as beers. Or at least- I hope it leads to that. It is harder to find, though its fairly 'new'.

I enjoy good beer. I enjoy craft beers, micro brews, my brews, my friends brews. But at the end of the day, who can afford to drink specialty beers 100% of the time? Very few. My go-to, cheap in abundance beer has been Busch, for no particular reason other than nostalgia.

I could replace my regular Busch with this hands down. IF this becomes a regular, I will so indeed. There's nothing wrong with cheap American Lagers that are bred for cost savings and bulk. And when you can't enjoy a hearty specialty beer, this is the option for you.

Is it magical? No. Is it the best tasting beer in the world? No. Does the color, smell and pouring-laced glass head give you something to respect? No. But it is what it is! A generic run-of-the-mill American Lager that gives you SOME form of 'specialty beer' ideology while costing the same as that 30 pack of Bud you picked up on sale for $19.99 at a gas station before you're next bonfire.

It HAS smell, it HAS taste, it HAS color!

That's my rating. I'm no beer snob. I'm not a taster. I'm an average guy, who's more into beers than the next average guy. (1,372 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The thing about this beer is, it's a one trick pony. It's not a brilliant craft lager, but it's the first time I feel Budweiser has produced a lager that's actually worth my time and money. It's tasty, affordable, and there's truly nothing offensive about it. Plus, that 5.7% is a lot more suitable to a craft beer veteran than a Yuengling Amber clocking in at 4.4%. Honestly, in my book it's like a better Yuengling. If you enjoy some cheaper lagers from time to time, or are already a fan of Yuengling Amber, you owe yourself to try this. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. I plan to smash about twelve of these with a buddy tonight. (642 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +28.1%

Busch Signature Copper is not your average Busch Beer. This is a a lot darker in color. This brew pours out a rich, deep amber color with a nice white head. Not a light amber as other Busch Beers. Being 5.7 abv witch is high than Busch being 4.6% ABV and Busch Ice at 5.9%. The smell is rich with grins and malts. The taste is bold with flavor. The mouth feel is nice and clean. This brew has a lot going on in it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. This is one Busch Beer that I would write home about. Great Brew for the Money. I would buy this brew again. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.5 out 5. (612 characters)

Sampling right on 2/28/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a pretty reddish-copper in color with a 1-finger slightly off-white foamy head that settles down to just the top and sides. Some lacing is seen which each sip. The aroma is of sweet corn, grain and caramel malts. The taste is the same with the caramel malts coming out for the finish. Perfect carbonation and goes down easy. No harsh or bitter finish at all. Is this a 'Bud' product??? (504 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bought a 25 oz. can one more time just to see if I was mistaken the first time. Nope. This beer is a real class act. Don't be fooled by the word "Busch" on the label. This is a totally different and thoroughly enjoyable AB animal altogether.

A - Dark tea, head disappears quickly, minimal lacing

S - Corn, malt, roasted grains

T - Sweet corn, malt, roasted grains, and hops

M - light

O - One of the best adjunct beers I've had in many a moon. Most beers get worse the longer they sit. This one gets a little sweeter. Nice. Great beer for the price. AB finally gets one right. (580 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I know for a fact that A/B nailed it when they made this. Its exactly what it says on the can. Its a awesome brew, great great copper color, rich aroma and a smooth taste going down. And for $1.10 cents a can/25 ounce, I can pretty much step out on the limb and say it will hang with the more expensive darker amber brews. (322 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +18.6%

For $8.99 a 12 pack in the bottle at 5.7% ABV with a nice finish ... pretty good brew and better than many microbrews/craft beer on the market. It and Michelob Amberbock have a lot of similarities, even some of my high hop bitter grapefruit aftertaste enjoying friends were enjoying this one. (292 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Solid beer, I was able to try this. Obviously my expectations weren't extraordinarily high but I was real pleased. None of that nasty aftertaste that you find with most beers (Busch included) at this price point. For a low profile roll-out, I find this to be MUCH better than the Black Crown or Miller Fortune or those similar amber styled beers. Its actually kind of funny. Leave it to the Busch brand to make the actually "good" beer. Definitely an A+ on the Bang For Your Buck matrix (486 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

16 oz can into a pint mug. What a find! But seriously. For the price, this might be the best beer out there. I don't have a lot of money, so I can't drink high-end craft 365 days/year. This is a definite step above all of the other crap and a slight bit better than PBR which was my previous cheap go-to crap. It has possibly been replaced. If I could rate this for value I'd rate it 4.75/5. It is like a cheaper, watered down SA Boston Lager. Very inoffensive and accessible. (476 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can purs a crystal clear copper color with a very nice, dense and foamy off-white head. Retention and lace are surprisingly good. AB finally got an appealing looking brew at least.

Nose is not really all that different from Busch original. Adjunct corn/rice with maybe a hint of toasted malt and a minimal whiff of leafy hops. Not all terrible, but not something I want to stick my nose in repeatedly.

Taste has a little more toasted malt than regular Busch but other than that, I really dont get much else that differs. I like Busch for an AAL, and will reach for one at the ice trough on a hot day at the gas station over any other bargain beers. This is a fine addition to the lineup and with a 5.7% ABV tag, Im game. I have trouble rating this, as an Amber Lager, this isnt all that good compared to the craftier versions, but as an Adjunct Lager (priced as one), it kicks a fair amount of ass. Im fairly impressed. (927 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I confess. I recently bought a riding lawn mower and lawn mower beers have lost some of their appeal :( But the good news is this is a beer with enough body and taste to make me take note (after acknowledging its relatively low cost) Not one I will be having with the guys at a tasting but a solid beer for household chores and what not. (337 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +11.7%

Big surprise here. I had been looking for something between a mild IPA and a cheep lager. This is it.
darker in colet than expected and the taste was light enough to refresh but strong enough to tire my taste buds. Poured into a 16 oz mixing glass from a can. 4.99 for a six pack and more alcohol than most cheap american lagers. tastes better than budweiser, miller and the value menu brews. looks like a beer instead of light straw stained water. good job with this one.

room temp tastes bland but cold its really good. (523 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Inch tall white, fizzy head...fizzes down to a quarter inch and retains a cap and collar throughout. Body color is about as copper as you can get. Clumpy lacing is apparent.

S- Corn, bread/biscuit, caramel malts. Hints of a cola-like sweetness.

T- Slight caramel taste blends in with corn sweetness near flawlessly. Damn smooth, no harshness like you would find in most "higher ABV" macros. Would guess 5%abv.

M- Carbonation stays on the lower end until later on in each sip where it "catches up" to closer to what you would expect. Medium to medium-thin mouthfeel.

D/O- Taken for what it is, classified as an "American Amber/Red Lager", Busch Signature really blew away my expectations. I thought ABInBev was going out on a limb by dramatically upping the SRM color for one of it's flagship brands but this is a pleasant surprise and one that both I can see myself drinking in the future and one that will stick around and not be a "flash-in-the-pan". (959 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +9.8%

From 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Appearance: 1"+ off white head drops rapidly with no lacing. Color is clear amber with mild streaming carbonation.

Aroma: very mild, just some toasted barley, caramel, and clean water.

Mouthfeel: light, crisp and frothy with a dry finish.

Flavor: caramel, toasted barley, a bit of licorice(?) and a very mild hop presence.

Overall: pleasant and easy to drink. (402 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

New beer in my area. From a 16 oz can.
Clear dark amber or light brown with two fingers of white head that lasts about five minutes. Some lacing as the head and liquid recedes. Smell is faint grains no bad odors.
Taste is lightly sweet malts some bread crust and just enough bitterness and the end of the swallow to provide some balance.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with the usual carbonation level. Crisp and clean with just a hint of syrup in the finish. Overall an excellent alternative to most macro lagers. Good price point as well (so far). Not craft level but more in the crafty style. Reminds me of AB Black Crown. (626 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is damn near copper in color. I would call it more of a burnt orange, but as the great Dalton said in the classic movie Roadhouse "Opinions vary." It is capped with an inch of off-white head. A constant flow of bubbles rise from nucleation sites etched into the bottom of the glass.

S - It has a cooked corn and caramel malt thing going on.

T - I taste a little toasted caramel. It doesn't have the corn taste that Busch has. It finishes dry.

M - Moderate

O - It is a pleasant surprise. It has some decent flavor, and I'm a homer for Busch. Hey, my mom named me buschbeer, so I have some sentimentality for it. (669 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Busch Signature Copper Lager has a thick, foamy, egg shell-colored head, a clear, somewhat bubbly, copper appearance, and a decent amount of lacing sheen left behind. The aroma is of faint sweetness and a typical American-style lager note. Taste is of sweet, toasted malt, brown bread crust, and only the slightest hop bitterness to round it out. No alcohol pickup with this. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Busch Signature Copper Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and highly drinkable. For a value-priced beer, they did a good job with it.

RJT (556 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Read that we were in a "test market area" in an article, so I picked up a 6 of pounders for $7 in the name of science. Pours as advertised in color. Smells like most adjunct lagers - not much of anything. I'll be damned, it actually tastes pretty good. Considerably better than Budweiser. No fizzy metallic aftertaste. A little bready, carmel maltiness going on. I actually think it is almost as good as Yuengling. Based on the ABV and price point, it may be one of the better options when you are ready to throw down on a summer night while playing cornhole or looking for a tall boy at the gas station. (604 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Compared to other "ambers" (save Michelob AmberBock) that I've had recently, this is so much better. Granted the couple I've had have been Vienna lagers, but the Abita doesn't call itself a Vienna, it says Amber. This is what I'm used to tasting when I think of an amber. It is reminiscent of AmberBock, but the upfront flavor isn't quite as strong. It's better than Black Crown in my opinion. The only downside to it is that it really doesn't have any significant smell to speak of. (488 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +6%

Watch out here comes the big guys!

For a lager that comes from a brewery that makes some pretty bad stuff i must say i am pretty ok with this one.

The color is a nice gold with heavy white head. I think i can actually smell some hops! Medium light mouthfeel clean finish.

A nice drinking beer that i would buy again and again. (329 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, "born on" date 9-1-14.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear copper color with one-finger off-white head that dissipated quickly until a ring of small bubbles remained around the glass, very little lacing, medium carbonation.

SMELL: faint bread, caramel and roasted malt, very light on the nose.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, not very sweet up front, bread and then more of a lightly roasted malt flavor followed by a mild hop bite.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: sometimes I think AB wants to delve into "craft" brewing, this would be like dipping your big toe into the deep end of the pool. It's a step in the right direction but does not go far enough for me. This is a decent beer, not unlike Sam Adams Boston Lager, just not as good. Since there are better options available I would not seek this out again. (886 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

OMG!!! They did it...they FINALLY did it! Anheuser-Busch has finally brewed a beer that doesn't taste like donkey piss! A tear of joy runs down my face as I type this right now!

I'll be damned, but this is a solid..hell, an enjoyable amber lager, or copper lager as they call it, which holds it's own against several well known (and pricier) amber lagers.

Copper is accurate, as it is practically the same color as a moderately aged penny, has about a two finger head, and sits pretty in a chilled pub glass.

Not much going on in terms of smell, but I do have a slight cold, so I may update this when I drink one post-cold.

The taste is pretty decent. Slightly sweet, with hints of molasses and honey, and pretty malty.

A very easy drinking brew, with a robust beginning, and a crisp ending.

I just can't believe it. I am honestly in shock right now, lol. I've noticed that most of the reviewers are from Ohio as well. So, maybe we're in a test market. I picked up a 25oz can of this at the gas station for a $.99 trial offer. A 12 pack is only $6.99, but I expected this beer to be horrible, so I just got the can, but I'm going back for a 12
pack tomorrow.

Wow...all I can say is wow. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a top quality brew, but I just can't believe that something with "Busch" on the label actually turned out to be a decent brew. Definitely, and without a doubt worth a try. (1,402 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours translucent in the body and a mostly brown, slightly red, rusty amber in color. Small, 1 finger head forms and is down to just a little bit on the surface of the beer. Very little lacing.

S- Light, slightly sweet, and very grainy is the best way to describe this beer's smell. Really smells just like regular Busch with a touch of darker malt. The darker malt is detectable with a slight balancing note to the sweetness of the corn and grains. Overall, the scent is fairly faint and sweet, like regular Busch, but somewhat balanced by the addition of a darker malt.

T- Starts and finishes with light grain flavors, primarily corn. Flavor is light and thirst quenching, with just a touch of sweetness. Not as sweet as Busch or Busch Light, but definitely in the same flavor profile as far as the grainy flavor goes. In the middle of the drink, the darker malts cut the sweetness and provide a slight dull bitterness that lasts until the end of the drink.

M- Classic lager feel here. This beer is light on the tongue, thirst quenching, and crisp at the end. Easy to drink and more flavor than the light version.

Overall, this is surprisingly similar to Budweiser. Darker malt flavors, along with the light, crisp, easy drinking qualities of a light beer. I know it's not a world class beer, but when you combine the fact that this beer is sold at Busch prices, is 5.7% ABV, and has just a touch of darker flavors, it's a winning combo. (1,446 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled uh, canned 1/23/14. Enjoyed 3/12/14

A- This one pours the color of tobacco. (not like a cig, the color.) Clear as a summer day at the beach. A light one finger head dissipates quickly leaving a light halo. Minimal lacing is observed on the sides of my glass.

S- Sweet roasted malts with a very slight bitterness hiding in the shadows.

T- Same as the aroma but with more umph. Sweet malts with a little hop balance. Not bad! I bought a single 25 oz. Can not expecting more than piss water, but I am presently surprised.

M- Extremely smooth and drinkable. A light bodied copper lager. Finishes clean and crisp.

O- Well son of a gun this brew has blind sided me. I wasn't expecting this to be this enjoyable. I've tried about every beer under the Busch name and this one takes the cake. Very smooth a clean. Good hot day brew. And the bang for buck aspect is terrific. Well folks, this ain't your fathers Oldsmobile. (927 characters)

Busch Signature Copper Lager from Anheuser-Busch