Busch Signature Copper Lager - Anheuser-Busch

Busch Signature Copper LagerBusch Signature Copper Lager

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: boilermakerbrew on 01-30-2014)

Just saw this at Walmart last week and thought I'd take a chance. We LOVE it! I'm not really into the dark or flavored beers and hubby hates them. This is what we're drinking now and are looking fora place that sells it by the case!

3.16/5  rDev +1.6%

2.8/5  rDev -10%

3.8/5  rDev +22.2%

For $8.99 a 12 pack in the bottle at 5.7% ABV with a nice finish ... pretty good brew and better than many microbrews/craft beer on the market. It and Michelob Amberbock have a lot of similarities, even some of my high hop bitter grapefruit aftertaste enjoying friends were enjoying this one.

3.11/5  rDev 0%

One fine Christmas morn, I was working at a shitty little gas station. We were horrible busy since every other store was run by decent people who gave their employees the day off. But everyone was in high spirits--cheer and all that.

A man who was usually very surly came in around noon, sloshed off his ass and wearing a Santa cap. He cut the line and slammed a sixer of Busch down on the counter.

"You know what Busch stands for?" He asked, his voice all full of timbre. He was performing a bit so as to avoid getting in trouble for cutting the line.

"What?"

"Brewed Under Six Clydesdale Horses. Cus when you drink Bud, this is what you pee out!"

The crowd was mildly amused. I was amused enough to remember it 14 years later, when I noticed that AB had finally expanded Busch's product line. It's been over a decade since I last tried a Busch. When I was younger, I agreed with the drunken Santa-man--Busch tasted cheap, like they spent less money making it. Now I realize that's untrue, they only spend less money in marketing it. But still, the way the beer tastes reminds me of poverty, because empty semiotics affect my perceptions much more strongly than logic ever could.

So up front you got a really decent amber malt profile, and that gives way to a graininess that's distinct to Busch and that's objectively not bad, only it tastes like Busch and I dumbly associate that with a lack of quality. Medium bodied and very easy drinking, even in spite of my stupid prejudices.

3.59/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I confess. I recently bought a riding lawn mower and lawn mower beers have lost some of their appeal :( But the good news is this is a beer with enough body and taste to make me take note (after acknowledging its relatively low cost) Not one I will be having with the guys at a tasting but a solid beer for household chores and what not.

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

2.98/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

First of all, this is "cheap beer" rating. It will never hold its own against most beers reviewed here. Because of this, a 3.5 rating in any category equates to a perfect 5 rating for beers worthy of a proper review. Call it party beer, lawnmower beer, or whatever your term is.

That said, lets carry on. I've only seen these sold in 6-packs of 16oz cans for about a buck a can. The price is hard to beat. Poured from the can into a standard pint glass, chilled in a refrigerator. Being that its a pint of beer into a pint glass i stopped pouring when the foam reached the top.

A- Pretty darn good for a can beer. Amber in color with a tall head of foam that disappears faster than my money at the roulette wheel.

S- Nothing special here. Smells like cheap beer, with an ever-so-slight hint of roasted malt.

T- Again, pretty darn good for can beer. I personally like it better than any of the "big 3" canned beers. Slightly sweet, more or less balanced. You can tell its not all barley in there. Corn, rice, etc. come through like any other big co. canned beer.

M- Not overly carbonated, smooth and easy to drink, but hey, its gotta be easy to drink if it taste like this.

O- For the price, I may have found my new "cheap beer." Since i usually grab a case of High Life Light as my cheap beer choice I'll try em side by side before the final verdict. Nothing to complain about but also nothing to brag about. Much better than Miller Fortune or Bud Black.

4.5/5  rDev +44.7%

I find this to be a nice lawnmower type beer with a little more character than some.

It has some toasty malt characteristics and the aroma and taste and finishes with a nice toasty sweetness.

Drinks easy and smooth. Kind of a hybrid AAL/Killians Red type of beer.

I've used this to boil brats in and it works great for that. Would be a decent tailgate beer for someone who wants something uncomplicated but with a little more flavor than a keystone light.

Certainly not a great beer but it has its place. Price seemed on the cheaper side. I'll be curious to see if this is still being made a year from now. My hunch is it won't.

3.44/5  rDev +10.6%

2.33/5  rDev -25.1%

This is, at least in my neck of the woods, a cheap beer. It has a high alcohol content and great for a cheap buzz, or drunk if you drink the whole 6-pack. Poured in a Weizen Glass it produces a large head but provides little to no retention of the carbonation in the brew. Meaning this sucker goes flat faster than you can drink it. Lines of froth on on the glass do not stick as with other lagers. In my honest opinion, this beer is meant to be consumed from the can and, while tastes good for the first sip when poured, does not live long outside of it.

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: A very nice amber with good head. Unfortunately, the retention is poor.

S: Malt, grain and some sweetness. Some booze as well.

T: Same as the smell without the grain. A little bit much alcohol for 5.7.

M: Goes down easy with decent carbonation. A little thin though.

O: Not bad for a big brewer. Better than Black Crown but not as good as Yuengling.

Busch Signature Copper Lager from Anheuser-Busch