Microbrew Invitational

Added by boilermakerbrew on 01-30-2014

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 71 | Ratings: 209
3.46/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

New beer in my area. From a 16 oz can.
Clear dark amber or light brown with two fingers of white head that lasts about five minutes. Some lacing as the head and liquid recedes. Smell is faint grains no bad odors.
Taste is lightly sweet malts some bread crust and just enough bitterness and the end of the swallow to provide some balance.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with the usual carbonation level. Crisp and clean with just a hint of syrup in the finish. Overall an excellent alternative to most macro lagers. Good price point as well (so far). Not craft level but more in the crafty style. Reminds me of AB Black Crown.

Let me say, that my ratings are based on what it is. This is not a 'craft beer'. This is a grocery getter walmart finder American lager in the cheap economy section as far as beers. Or at least- I hope it leads to that. It is harder to find, though its fairly 'new'.

I enjoy good beer. I enjoy craft beers, micro brews, my brews, my friends brews. But at the end of the day, who can afford to drink specialty beers 100% of the time? Very few. My go-to, cheap in abundance beer has been Busch, for no particular reason other than nostalgia.

I could replace my regular Busch with this hands down. IF this becomes a regular, I will so indeed. There's nothing wrong with cheap American Lagers that are bred for cost savings and bulk. And when you can't enjoy a hearty specialty beer, this is the option for you.

Is it magical? No. Is it the best tasting beer in the world? No. Does the color, smell and pouring-laced glass head give you something to respect? No. But it is what it is! A generic run-of-the-mill American Lager that gives you SOME form of 'specialty beer' ideology while costing the same as that 30 pack of Bud you picked up on sale for $19.99 at a gas station before you're next bonfire.

It HAS smell, it HAS taste, it HAS color!

That's my rating. I'm no beer snob. I'm not a taster. I'm an average guy, who's more into beers than the next average guy.

3.6/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

16 oz can into a pint mug. What a find! But seriously. For the price, this might be the best beer out there. I don't have a lot of money, so I can't drink high-end craft 365 days/year. This is a definite step above all of the other crap and a slight bit better than PBR which was my previous cheap go-to crap. It has possibly been replaced. If I could rate this for value I'd rate it 4.75/5. It is like a cheaper, watered down SA Boston Lager. Very inoffensive and accessible.

2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a clear copper/amber color with a foamy head that very quickly subsides to barely a thin lace. The smell/taste have some maltiness with no noticeable adjuncts present. I sensed just the slightest amount of alcohol heat but not enough to detract from the overall flavor. Mouth feel is a little thin and the finish is very neutral. The carbonation level is quite low. Overall an OK beer but nothing worth going out of your way to get.

3.26/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, some caramel. Taste is light and mild, malts, some sweetness. Feels light in the mouth and overall is refreshing and highly drinkable, but a bit on the bland side.

3.59/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can purs a crystal clear copper color with a very nice, dense and foamy off-white head. Retention and lace are surprisingly good. AB finally got an appealing looking brew at least.

Nose is not really all that different from Busch original. Adjunct corn/rice with maybe a hint of toasted malt and a minimal whiff of leafy hops. Not all terrible, but not something I want to stick my nose in repeatedly.

Taste has a little more toasted malt than regular Busch but other than that, I really dont get much else that differs. I like Busch for an AAL, and will reach for one at the ice trough on a hot day at the gas station over any other bargain beers. This is a fine addition to the lineup and with a 5.7% ABV tag, Im game. I have trouble rating this, as an Amber Lager, this isnt all that good compared to the craftier versions, but as an Adjunct Lager (priced as one), it kicks a fair amount of ass. Im fairly impressed.

Poured from a 25 OZ can into a pint glass.
Aroma- very non-descript. maybe a hint of barley
Appearance- a nice golden copper color with a minimal head
Taste- has a nice mild flavor, not overpowering or overtly strong. a good basic beer
Palate- A mild bodied brew with mild carbonation
Overall- not a terrible beer, A-B has attempted to make an upgrade to their Busch beer and it is not bad. Won't be confused with many craft beers but it is not a bad beer to drink.

Just saw this at Walmart last week and thought I'd take a chance. We LOVE it! I'm not really into the dark or flavored beers and hubby hates them. This is what we're drinking now and are looking fora place that sells it by the case!

3.76/5  rDev +21.3%

For $8.99 a 12 pack in the bottle at 5.7% ABV with a nice finish ... pretty good brew and better than many microbrews/craft beer on the market. It and Michelob Amberbock have a lot of similarities, even some of my high hop bitter grapefruit aftertaste enjoying friends were enjoying this one.

3.1/5  rDev 0%

One fine Christmas morn, I was working at a shitty little gas station. We were horrible busy since every other store was run by decent people who gave their employees the day off. But everyone was in high spirits--cheer and all that.

A man who was usually very surly came in around noon, sloshed off his ass and wearing a Santa cap. He cut the line and slammed a sixer of Busch down on the counter.

"You know what Busch stands for?" He asked, his voice all full of timbre. He was performing a bit so as to avoid getting in trouble for cutting the line.

"What?"

"Brewed Under Six Clydesdale Horses. Cus when you drink Bud, this is what you pee out!"

The crowd was mildly amused. I was amused enough to remember it 14 years later, when I noticed that AB had finally expanded Busch's product line. It's been over a decade since I last tried a Busch. When I was younger, I agreed with the drunken Santa-man--Busch tasted cheap, like they spent less money making it. Now I realize that's untrue, they only spend less money in marketing it. But still, the way the beer tastes reminds me of poverty, because empty semiotics affect my perceptions much more strongly than logic ever could.

So up front you got a really decent amber malt profile, and that gives way to a graininess that's distinct to Busch and that's objectively not bad, only it tastes like Busch and I dumbly associate that with a lack of quality. Medium bodied and very easy drinking, even in spite of my stupid prejudices.

3.56/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I confess. I recently bought a riding lawn mower and lawn mower beers have lost some of their appeal :( But the good news is this is a beer with enough body and taste to make me take note (after acknowledging its relatively low cost) Not one I will be having with the guys at a tasting but a solid beer for household chores and what not.

2.94/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

First of all, this is "cheap beer" rating. It will never hold its own against most beers reviewed here. Because of this, a 3.5 rating in any category equates to a perfect 5 rating for beers worthy of a proper review. Call it party beer, lawnmower beer, or whatever your term is.

That said, lets carry on. I've only seen these sold in 6-packs of 16oz cans for about a buck a can. The price is hard to beat. Poured from the can into a standard pint glass, chilled in a refrigerator. Being that its a pint of beer into a pint glass i stopped pouring when the foam reached the top.

A- Pretty darn good for a can beer. Amber in color with a tall head of foam that disappears faster than my money at the roulette wheel.

S- Nothing special here. Smells like cheap beer, with an ever-so-slight hint of roasted malt.

T- Again, pretty darn good for can beer. I personally like it better than any of the "big 3" canned beers. Slightly sweet, more or less balanced. You can tell its not all barley in there. Corn, rice, etc. come through like any other big co. canned beer.

M- Not overly carbonated, smooth and easy to drink, but hey, its gotta be easy to drink if it taste like this.

O- For the price, I may have found my new "cheap beer." Since i usually grab a case of High Life Light as my cheap beer choice I'll try em side by side before the final verdict. Nothing to complain about but also nothing to brag about. Much better than Miller Fortune or Bud Black.

I find this to be a nice lawnmower type beer with a little more character than some.

It has some toasty malt characteristics and the aroma and taste and finishes with a nice toasty sweetness.

Drinks easy and smooth. Kind of a hybrid AAL/Killians Red type of beer.

I've used this to boil brats in and it works great for that. Would be a decent tailgate beer for someone who wants something uncomplicated but with a little more flavor than a keystone light.

Certainly not a great beer but it has its place. Price seemed on the cheaper side. I'll be curious to see if this is still being made a year from now. My hunch is it won't.

2.31/5  rDev -25.5%

This is, at least in my neck of the woods, a cheap beer. It has a high alcohol content and great for a cheap buzz, or drunk if you drink the whole 6-pack. Poured in a Weizen Glass it produces a large head but provides little to no retention of the carbonation in the brew. Meaning this sucker goes flat faster than you can drink it. Lines of froth on on the glass do not stick as with other lagers. In my honest opinion, this beer is meant to be consumed from the can and, while tastes good for the first sip when poured, does not live long outside of it.

3.19/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: A very nice amber with good head. Unfortunately, the retention is poor.

S: Malt, grain and some sweetness. Some booze as well.

T: Same as the smell without the grain. A little bit much alcohol for 5.7.

M: Goes down easy with decent carbonation. A little thin though.

O: Not bad for a big brewer. Better than Black Crown but not as good as Yuengling.

This is from Busch?!?! Really surprised here, this is decent brew. It is sort of in the same vein as a Boston Lager or a Yuengling Traditional Lager. Not bad at all.

Not something I would seek out, but worth a drink. Best thing ever made to come with a Busch label on it.

Would drink again: Yes
Would purchase again: No

2.84/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

pours out of the 16 oz. can a deep amber colour with a rather robust foamy head. reduces to sparse lace. malt and adjunct aroma with sugary undertones. taste wise, it brings some toasty malt notes, and supporting adjunct. heavy carbonation makes it seem dense and meaty for a lager. a bit of straight up, no nonsense bitterness rounds things out. souped up body and dense mouthfeel. while intriguing and with character, not really too drinkable.

overall this seems like an amber bock on steroids. a beefy, cool weather lager. it's pretty flawless but also sort of dull. never was a fan of A-B's malt liqour lineup, but this is ok.

2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

25oz can poured into "Old Style" glass able to hold it all. From the Bud website, "Smooth, full-bodied copper lager that offers bold flavor
without sacrificing affordability. Features a sweet aroma,
signature smooth taste, clean finish and distinctive copper
color". I'm afraid this one may have a bit of age on it with a date on bottom of can of "23JAN14"
So, here we go. Definitely a red lager with a red/gold hue and a tannish head which seems to fizzle it's way out of existence pretty darn quickly. Hard to pick up much of the advertised sweetness in the aroma, but I guess it's there in time. Initially pretty much a lager character with slight sulfur and zesty carbonation hitting the nose.
Certainly a little more flavor, but not a lot. A bit of malt character and a touch of sweetness that may grow old as I work through this. The can notes some toasted flavor and I get some of that too. Dries out quiet a bit and leaves the dryness hanging for a long while. Takes on some caramel sweetness as it warms.
Full, full and more full from carbonation. It fills the whole mouth and makes it hard to take a big hard pull on it. It stimulates the tongue though. I'm getting full quickly.
This is okay. I think I might like it better if it was warmer out and I was more thirsty as it falls closest to a lawnmower beer.

3.09/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Solid effort all around. Taste of dark, toasted malt dominates and provides a biting carbonation sting that I could take or leave. Loving these new line of domestic offerings such as Budweiser Black Crown, Bud Light Platinum, and Miller Fortune that are marketed at a more premium level and bear more alcohol and more complex tones than cheap adjunct lagers. Busch Signature is definitely bound to be an underrated choice amongst an already overblown market.

Prior to trying this, my philosophy on Busch was why drink it when you can eat it?

3.12/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: Clear, deep amber red with a large, almost massive dense off-white head, which retains quite well. The carbonation is profuse, fine, and fast-rising. The lacing is thick and glass-coating.

Aroma: Dark toasted malt dominates the aroma, nothing like, say a well-made craft beer, but substantial for a macro lager. There are some biscuit notes as well, a whiff of alcohol, and faint herbal hops.

Taste: Opens with toasted malts, and a bit of warming alcohol. As the taste progresses, there are some corn and vegetable flavors. Late in the taste, some moderate herbal and grassy hops appear, these carry the taste to a balanced close.

Mouth feel: Fairly smooth with a bit of stinging carbonation, a bit thin.

Drinkability/notes: I suspect this is intended as a competitor to Miller Fortune, which is a far and away better beer, in my opinion. For confirmed macro drinkers, this is probably "a walk on the wild side". Still, its cheap and available, and is far and away better than Busch, and most especially, Budweiser.

Presentation: Packaged in a sixteen ounce aluminum can, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.36/5  rDev +8.4%

Watch out here comes the big guys!

For a lager that comes from a brewery that makes some pretty bad stuff i must say i am pretty ok with this one.

The color is a nice gold with heavy white head. I think i can actually smell some hops! Medium light mouthfeel clean finish.

A nice drinking beer that i would buy again and again.

2.83/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not a Anheuser-Busch man, but this looked inviting. Thought it might be Buschs version of Budweiser Black Crown.

Poured from a 16oz. Nice color, dark copper. Lots of carbonation. Head left quickly.

Smell, like most big name beers, nothing much, a little sour.

Easy drinking, carbonation upfront, then some nice malt. Little to no hops. The beer starts bubbly, then has flat finish. As the beer warms it takes on a more flat, less peppy way. Uninteresting beer, though I wouldnt turn it down. It has a kick after only half the can. Good for huntin, and fishin.

3.54/5  rDev +14.2%

Big surprise here. I had been looking for something between a mild IPA and a cheep lager. This is it.
darker in colet than expected and the taste was light enough to refresh but strong enough to tire my taste buds. Poured into a 16 oz mixing glass from a can. 4.99 for a six pack and more alcohol than most cheap american lagers. tastes better than budweiser, miller and the value menu brews. looks like a beer instead of light straw stained water. good job with this one.

room temp tastes bland but cold its really good.

2.78/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear, copper/golden color. 1/5 inch head of an off-white color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of slight hops, slight sweet malt, pale malt, corn, and slight metallic. Fits the style of an American Amber / Red Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with a high carbonation level. Tastes of pale malt, hint of sweet malt, hint of hops, slight corn, and hint of metallic. Overall, better than regular Busch, but still not much to rave about here.

3.79/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bought a 25 oz. can one more time just to see if I was mistaken the first time. Nope. This beer is a real class act. Don't be fooled by the word "Busch" on the label. This is a totally different and thoroughly enjoyable AB animal altogether.

A - Dark tea, head disappears quickly, minimal lacing

S - Corn, malt, roasted grains

T - Sweet corn, malt, roasted grains, and hops

M - light

O - One of the best adjunct beers I've had in many a moon. Most beers get worse the longer they sit. This one gets a little sweeter. Nice. Great beer for the price. AB finally gets one right.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast