Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: illeagle05 on 03-05-2014

This Belgian-Style unfiltered wheat ale is brewed with honey, caramel malt, and aged on bourbon cask staves for the perfect balance of flavor and refreshment all year round.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat Alström Bros

The biggest thing I noticed was a strong fake honey flavor. Honey is a fermentable sugar, so capturing its flavor is hard. Overall I was unimpressed, which is too bad because I had high hopes for it. (199 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +51.4%

Appearance: white, frothy head that dissipates into nothing. Unfiltered, brownish body.

Aroma: smells like honey and maybe some toffee candy.

Taste: Tastes very sugary sweet, with honey and brown sugar on the backbone. I detect no bourbon. Tastes very little like beer, but it does taste good.

Overall, It's good for what it is, but it's too little like beer. It feels disingenuous. (388 characters)

2.66/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit off, medicinal. Taste is cough medicine, honey, a hint of bourbon. Feels light in the mouth and overall, not the worst beer I have tried, but a lousy beer nonetheless. (258 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -15.5%

Honestly I wanted something cold after landing in Florida and all my beer was warm. Bourbon staves and Shock Top should not party together...like ever (150 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -45%

There's alcohol in it which is a plus. Other than that, pretty much the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. Tastes like burnt sugar. If Founders made this, it would have to be a parallel universe where Founders is actually owned and operated by Anheuser Busch. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of pretty much all Shock Top brews. (339 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -41.4%

wow, what a terrible tasting beer (for me, and it seems a few other folks).
the honey flavor IS artificial and for sure overpowering everything else, so I don't even need to go on.... carbonated artificial honey flavoring, that's what shock top should call this "beer". also, if Founders DID brew a beer like this, I would throw the bottle through their front window for being stupid. very bad drink, couldn't even give the other 5 bottles away. awful. (457 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

one of the worst beers I have had, what is to say, way to sweat, couldn't finish the bottle, wouldn't recommend to someone unless I didn't like them... (151 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My wife bought me a 12 pack of Shock-Top. This isn't the worst one, but it's close. There is a slight bourbon taste on top of a mediocre wheat beer.
I feel out of duty I need to finish these - but it is a sacrifice when there is lots of decent beer in my fridge (263 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +12.7%

It's sweet and thick, but it seems that it would be or should be a lighter beer. It's okay. If I wanted something on the sweet side I might partake in it again, but I'm clambering to get back to the store to get some more. (222 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +46.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat pours a hazy gold color with a small head. There is a big honey and wheat aroma. There is a big honey flavor, creamy wheat backbone. Very fizzy, and artificial flavors. Overall it has a strong flavor, but its too strong with the honey, and the flavor is artificial, and its fizzy. Even with that its not the worst. (344 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +71.8%

Poured a burnt orange color with very little head. Smells like warm honey and bourbon, taste much like mixing a bourbon and a shock top together with a smooth feel..gives mixed emotion on taste, too bourbon-esque or not enough beer-ish?! (237 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I got a bottle of Shock Top's Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat as a freebie. I had this at the World Expo of Beer and I didn't like it that much, but since I was given one I though I would give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks ok, it's got a decent design to it, but it isn't too eye catching. It poured a nice orange color that took on more of a brighter orange color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I wish it had better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with an orange aroma being the first to show up along with a noticeable honey aroma that goes right into some funky dirty sock aromas. Up next comes a woody aroma, that slightly bourbon like, but it doesn't smell authentic. This beer didn't have a good aroma, the dirty sock aspect was a deal breaker.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but not as strong and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that still has that honey like aspect to it which is the first to show up and it's followed by a pretty light orange flavor. Up next comes that weird wood and fake bourbon barrel flavors that goes right into some funky dirty stock flavors. On the finish there's not bitterness with some sweetness taking it's place and it had a very honey like aftertaste.

M- A little smooth, very crisp, prickly, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel isn't good, it's way too carbonated.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I didn't think it was a good example of the style, it lived up to it's name when it came to the honey, but when it came to the bourbon cask it got weird and in the end it made for a beer that just didn't taste good. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it's a little smooth, very crisp, prickly, not filling and the taste doesn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is more than enough for me, no need for another one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a nice looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that nasty dirty sock aspect, it was just unwanted. I wouldn't buy this beer and I for sure wouldn't recommend it. All in all I just didn't like this beer, it's not for me and I don't find it to be enjoyable. This is my least favorite Shock Top beer and one of the my least favorite of the style. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't good.. (2,697 characters)

2.32/5  rDev +5.5%

A- Looks hazy orange. It is more of a lemony yellow towards the bottom of the glass. Head is one finger tall. It is pretty soapy and fizzy. Carbonation looks good here. Looks like any Shock Top or Blue Moon style beer.

S- Honey and sugary sweetness. Lemons, limes, and orange is here as well. There is a little bit of a woodsy note. But in general it's very grainy, malty, citrusy, with a little bit of that honey in here. The nose is all over the place. Not appealing at all!

T- You do get the lime peel flavor in here. Honey is there. There is also a little bit of that bourbon stave/woody note as well. But the sweetness and the citrus just don't work well together. Too many citrusy notes in this one, and they all clash terribly with the honey. It's the limey taste that throws the flavor off for me. It's down right gross.

M- It's thin and fizzy like soda water. It's mild in the mouthfeel. It's a bit sticky from the sweetness.

Overall, this is not a very good beer. It's a 45/100 & a C-/C in grade. If you're looking to try some different when it comes to beer, this definitely is one for you to consider. It's just the honey, sweetness, and the citrusy flavors just do not go well with each at all. I can't recommend you willing try this beer. (1,256 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Just bad
L: like honey 1 finger head dissipates quick
S: honey oak and something awful
T: dirty honey served off burnt oak
F: watery
O: just plain bad wife picked this up in a pick your own six never again (205 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +40%

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Gotta love these random Shock Top flavors, amiright? Anyway, this stuff pours a kinda hazy golden amber topped by a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mild buttercream, caramel, a hint of bourbon-soaked wood, and a kiss of sweetgrass. The taste pretty much brings in more of the same, the competing sweetnesses kinda clashing a bit, though generally just canceling each other out for the most part, leaving just a vague sense of "sweet" on your tongue, buttressed by some very mild bourbon notes every now and again. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a mostly smooth feel. Overall, this is a pretty bland beer, especially given the expressive name, but I mostly enjoyed it. Chalk it up to my massive sweet tooth, but this ain't bad. Just not that great. (860 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +55.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Here goes nothing.

Appearance : solid 2 finger head sitting there like foam on a river. The body is an apricot honey glow with bits of sediment. Promising so far!

Aroma : Dead ringer for natural honey. Then, bits of lemon, aged wood from an old haunted house, and something else specific I can't put a finger on. Oh, carmex! Or some other lip balm.
Haha how strange.

Flavor : Ok...this is interesting. It's not entirely terrible although it may be the worst shock top. Ricola lozenges come to mind, yes...liquified Ricola herbal lemon lozenges. That about nails it. A little bit of straw, too. I imagine heating this up and serving it in a hot cup would do wonders - and I'm not joking here. They may have unknowingly created a new version of medicinal brandy.

Mouthfeel : like water, very thin. Slightly creamy on the finish.

Overall : this wasn't the s**tfest I thought it was going to be. In fact it's actually drinkable. It ain't half bad guys. I'm gonna try heating the rest of mine up in a saucepan on the stove. brb. (1,029 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Smells very sweet and artificial. Honey with some spices.

I don't know how to describe the taste. Soda syrupy sweetness. Fake honey. Some sort of spices that mimic bourbon. I don't know. It's like bourbon flavor for kids. I don't really consider this beer. Some sort of alcoholic malt beverage artificially sweetened. (319 characters)

2.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Probably the best part of the beer is how it looks, and it is not that flattering. Hazy gold is appealing, but almost no head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: A strange caramel/honey that has been burnt smell.

Taste: Just like the smell, I taste a weird artificial honey taste. Maybe a hint of aged bourbon.

Mouthfeel: Once you get past the taste, the feel is nothing special, almost a syrup kind of thickness. Needs more carbonation.

Overall: I am a fan of the regular shock top and bourbon, but this beer was off the mark. Would not have it again (592 characters)

2.25/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat has a think, foamy, off-white, quickly-dissipating head, an opaque, gold-orange, appearance, and no lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of spiced candle (vanilla, coconut, mild spices, and wax). The taste is the same, with non-existent bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat finishes wet, waxy, and decently refreshing.

RJT (405 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -5.5%

The weakest Shock Top offering I have had by far, and I'm one of the few who really support the brand and enjoy its offerings. Between chocolate, honeycrisp apple, pretzel, and raspberry, honey/bourbon, at least in this diluted, mediocre form, is a truly failed attempt to be crafty rather than competent. (305 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +77.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got this beer with a seasonal 12 pack. I had the lowest expectations for this beer, but it ended up as the best one of the bunch. A definite strong honey flavor. I drank it straight from the bottle so not sure about head or color. (235 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +65.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

BA called me out for being an outlier when I tried to submit my rating. So, here it is, my first written review.

First off, I get that it's completely off, taste and smell wise, for a 'witbier'.

What I am getting from this though is a sweet, honey tasting experience, and mostly, somehow, marshmallow flavor. If they added roasted malts they could get away with calling this a smores beer. I get a hint of the bourbon in the taste, but it's there and gone.

Not true to style at all, but it isn't painful to drink like most reviews would lead you to believe. Not even close to being my favorite Shock Top (see: Twisted Pretzel, loved that one, no lie), but I'm not drainpouring this or even regretting twisting off the top. (727 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This is one of the worst beers I can remember having had. One flavor: honey; and it isn't a good honey flavor. This proves how bad a bourbon barrel beer can be and that it doesn't magically make a beer good. (207 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Cloudy golden body with a thin fizzy white head. Aroma includes honey, wheat and oranges. The wheat and the honey flavors come through a lot, nothing in the way of bourbon though. Somewhat of a fizzy, artificial orange flavor is there too. Mouthfeel is fizzy and thin. Doesn't really showcase a good example of a wheat beer and the artificial orange spice flavor is unappealing, but the strong honey flavor is somewhat unique. (426 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

There are flavors in this that I am almost positive do not occur in nature. I wanted to enjoy this in a completely non ironic way, but was too much for me. (155 characters)

Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat from Anheuser-Busch