Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: illeagle05 on 03-05-2014

This Belgian-Style unfiltered wheat ale is brewed with honey, caramel malt, and aged on bourbon cask staves for the perfect balance of flavor and refreshment all year round.
to view more.
Ratings: 470 | Reviews: 148
1.36/5  rDev -39.3%

The artificial honey flavor tastes like a decorative soap.

2.66/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit off, medicinal. Taste is cough medicine, honey, a hint of bourbon. Feels light in the mouth and overall, not the worst beer I have tried, but a lousy beer nonetheless.

1.86/5  rDev -17%

Honestly I wanted something cold after landing in Florida and all my beer was warm. Bourbon staves and Shock Top should not party together...like ever

1.59/5  rDev -29%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This is one of the worst tasting beers I have ever had.

1.21/5  rDev -46%

There's alcohol in it which is a plus. Other than that, pretty much the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. Tastes like burnt sugar. If Founders made this, it would have to be a parallel universe where Founders is actually owned and operated by Anheuser Busch. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of pretty much all Shock Top brews.

1.29/5  rDev -42.4%

wow, what a terrible tasting beer (for me, and it seems a few other folks).
the honey flavor IS artificial and for sure overpowering everything else, so I don't even need to go on.... carbonated artificial honey flavoring, that's what shock top should call this "beer". also, if Founders DID brew a beer like this, I would throw the bottle through their front window for being stupid. very bad drink, couldn't even give the other 5 bottles away. awful.

3.89/5  rDev +73.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

If Founder's brewed this everyone would be jizzing all over themselves to get one.

1.81/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

one of the worst beers I have had, what is to say, way to sweat, couldn't finish the bottle, wouldn't recommend to someone unless I didn't like them...

1.85/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Tastes like feet and honey

1.37/5  rDev -38.8%

The worst bottled beer I've ever had. There's a taste in it that is part perfumed soap and part rubbery dolls from the 60s or 70s.

1.4/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My wife bought me a 12 pack of Shock-Top. This isn't the worst one, but it's close. There is a slight bourbon taste on top of a mediocre wheat beer.
I feel out of duty I need to finish these - but it is a sacrifice when there is lots of decent beer in my fridge

2.48/5  rDev +10.7%

It's sweet and thick, but it seems that it would be or should be a lighter beer. It's okay. If I wanted something on the sweet side I might partake in it again, but I'm clambering to get back to the store to get some more.

1.86/5  rDev -17%

It is a mix of flavors that just do not work with each other.

Horrible. The single worst thing I've ever drank. Raw sewage water would of tasted better.

2.98/5  rDev +33%

Not the worst Shock Top product I've had, but the honey flavor tastes very artificial.

1.43/5  rDev -36.2%

This is the worst Shock Top I've ever had.

3.23/5  rDev +44.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat pours a hazy gold color with a small head. There is a big honey and wheat aroma. There is a big honey flavor, creamy wheat backbone. Very fizzy, and artificial flavors. Overall it has a strong flavor, but its too strong with the honey, and the flavor is artificial, and its fizzy. Even with that its not the worst.

2.64/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Looks pretty, but the flavor isn't for me.

4.28/5  rDev +91.1%

A great tasting beer with a true honey taste.

2.98/5  rDev +33%

over powered w/ bland bourbon flavor, drinkable but not much else

3.78/5  rDev +68.8%

Poured a burnt orange color with very little head. Smells like warm honey and bourbon, taste much like mixing a bourbon and a shock top together with a smooth feel..gives mixed emotion on taste, too bourbon-esque or not enough beer-ish?!

1.98/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I got a bottle of Shock Top's Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat as a freebie. I had this at the World Expo of Beer and I didn't like it that much, but since I was given one I though I would give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks ok, it's got a decent design to it, but it isn't too eye catching. It poured a nice orange color that took on more of a brighter orange color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I wish it had better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with an orange aroma being the first to show up along with a noticeable honey aroma that goes right into some funky dirty sock aromas. Up next comes a woody aroma, that slightly bourbon like, but it doesn't smell authentic. This beer didn't have a good aroma, the dirty sock aspect was a deal breaker.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but not as strong and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that still has that honey like aspect to it which is the first to show up and it's followed by a pretty light orange flavor. Up next comes that weird wood and fake bourbon barrel flavors that goes right into some funky dirty stock flavors. On the finish there's not bitterness with some sweetness taking it's place and it had a very honey like aftertaste.

M- A little smooth, very crisp, prickly, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel isn't good, it's way too carbonated.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I didn't think it was a good example of the style, it lived up to it's name when it came to the honey, but when it came to the bourbon cask it got weird and in the end it made for a beer that just didn't taste good. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it's a little smooth, very crisp, prickly, not filling and the taste doesn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is more than enough for me, no need for another one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a nice looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that nasty dirty sock aspect, it was just unwanted. I wouldn't buy this beer and I for sure wouldn't recommend it. All in all I just didn't like this beer, it's not for me and I don't find it to be enjoyable. This is my least favorite Shock Top beer and one of the my least favorite of the style. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't good..

2.53/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Drinkable but not terribly good. The base beer is very smooth, but the honey leaves an aftertaste that I don't care for.

2.32/5  rDev +3.6%

A- Looks hazy orange. It is more of a lemony yellow towards the bottom of the glass. Head is one finger tall. It is pretty soapy and fizzy. Carbonation looks good here. Looks like any Shock Top or Blue Moon style beer.

S- Honey and sugary sweetness. Lemons, limes, and orange is here as well. There is a little bit of a woodsy note. But in general it's very grainy, malty, citrusy, with a little bit of that honey in here. The nose is all over the place. Not appealing at all!

T- You do get the lime peel flavor in here. Honey is there. There is also a little bit of that bourbon stave/woody note as well. But the sweetness and the citrus just don't work well together. Too many citrusy notes in this one, and they all clash terribly with the honey. It's the limey taste that throws the flavor off for me. It's down right gross.

M- It's thin and fizzy like soda water. It's mild in the mouthfeel. It's a bit sticky from the sweetness.

Overall, this is not a very good beer. It's a 45/100 & a C-/C in grade. If you're looking to try some different when it comes to beer, this definitely is one for you to consider. It's just the honey, sweetness, and the citrusy flavors just do not go well with each at all. I can't recommend you willing try this beer.

1.25/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Sweet with a vanilla bourbon finish.

to view more.