Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Tequiza - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tequiza Alström Bros
2.14/5  rDev +18.2%

This was something of a novelty when it first came out. I enjoyed the first beer but subsequent beers I enjoyed less and less. It did have a tequila aftertaste, probably artificial but the uniqueness wore off quickly.

1.5/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Attempt to make a beer that tastes like tequila. It succeeds in that respect, but it was an awful combination. Surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

4.35/5  rDev +140.3%

I really injoyed this beer. I thought for the price which was usually around $5 bucks, that it was a very injoyable beer. It wasn't strong and wasn't to week. In my opinion i really think it is a really good summer time beer. And in the line of lime flavoered beers it is at the top. I well miss this beer and can only hope that it well one day return to the shelves.

3.1/5  rDev +71.3%

This was a unique malt at one time. I used to like this beer on occasions. It was a lot better tasting beer to me than miller chill or bud light lime. I would like to see this beer back on shelves one day.

Pours a light yellow with thin head
Has a great lime smell
Taste is cheap lime flavor with lots of fizz

2.39/5  rDev +32%

Reviewed from notes (some of my observations go back to the 70's, I have Aspergers', and this is one of my things!) as this was thankfuly retired in 2009!

I was expecting a Margarita tasting beer due to the agave and lime. The scent was indeed limey and about the only thing good I can say!
It had really no head tasted more of corn than lime,fizzy, nasty. Even tried adding some salt to achieve a more Margarita effect, but nada!
Goodbye Tequiza!

1.97/5  rDev +8.8%

My Tequiza koozie is destined to become a sought after hipster vintage collectable!

OK, an obvious failed attempt to cut into Corona's market share. Yellow beer. No head, lace. Aroma, not horrible, even get a little agave sweetness.

Taste, eh, unique? The agave doesn't taste as much as it smelled, but other than that, its pretty much just Corona with all kinds of less desireable adjunct flavor (or lack thereof). No hops. Pass.

1.85/5  rDev +2.2%

Well, before I really got into beer tasting this was one of my favorable beers (because the girlfriends drank it) - then I learned what an IPA was.

This beer is a faint yellow, smells of lime and sugar and sweet corn.

Tastes of lots of lime and corn, with a bile like aftertaste (almost).

The mouthfeel is nothing spectacular either as I just want to swallow it and get it down.

Drinkability - could try all night long for beer pong! Actually, beer pong might not be to good with this because it is so sweet, gimme a stout.

2.97/5  rDev +64.1%

Born on date of November 7th 2008. Poured from a clear 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A hard pour produced only a one finger white head. Clear golden yellow. Despite the head dropping to nothing I still had a little bit of lacing.

Smell: The only thing in the aroma is limes. Very sweet and candy-like.

Taste: Not that bad. Not as bad as other reviews will have you believe at least. Very sweet with a lime flavor.

Mouthfeel: Substantial mouthfeel for being an A-B product. Much more to it than the wateriness that is Bud Light Lime or Miller Chill.

2.22/5  rDev +22.7%

Not... that... bad. Pours clear yellow fizz. Sweet lime nose with a little tequila. Refreshing light lime taste. Corny and some tequila-like artificial flavors. The lime is more candy-flavored than real. It got sickening after I had more than one, but this is truly not awful.

2.46/5  rDev +35.9%

It smells very sweet with lime and vegetable tones. It has a pale gold colored body that forms a decent head and lace. I was very surprised about that. It has a very strong lime taste. The mouthfeel is very light and fizzy. Overall, drinkability it is a party beer and a beer for the non beer drinker but an alright malternative.

2.27/5  rDev +25.4%

Reviewing this to fullfill a requirement for the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly BIF. This is the beer I sent as an ugly, and I had to suffer through it to be able to send it.

Pours an extremely pale yellow, looks like colored water. White head with fairly small bubbles that subsides fairly quickly.

Smell is citrusy, with hints of lime.

Taste is more of the lime, perhaps a hint of the agave / tequila flavor, but not enough to stand out.

Mouthfeel is watery, no body at all.

Finish is mostly like drinking limeade, little dry in the throat and a hint of an artificial sweetner in the aftertaste.

I might have liked this back in the days when I experimented with wine coolers and malternatives long ago, but it doesn't do much for me now. I don't even think it is that particularly refreshing.

1.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Slugged from the bottle. It's a decent tasting beverage I suppose on a hot day. I wouldnt classify this as a beer though and don't really get the concept. May as well call that Smirinoff Ice stuff beer. Very pale looking with straw, hay Mexican beer taste but with a lot more artificial fruitiness to it.

2.18/5  rDev +20.4%

Open a Corona, slip a lime in the top... and then pour a half-cup of sugar down the neck. Bright, clear yellow in the glass (and in the bottle too); lime in the nose. Sweet lime in the taste. More body and flavor than your typical lime beer (e.g., light beer with lime that is now so popular). But that doesn't say much.

1.36/5  rDev -24.9%

I could make a number of cheezy comments on the beer before opening, but I won't. Let's just get on to the beer:

Pours like clear soda with a transculent straw color, the head is also soda-like and fizzles away to nothing. Looks like colored water at this point. The nose is actually decent here, think of a toned down margarita. At least there is nothing off in it, but the beer component is missing. I hesitiate to taste...

Um, what is this, soda pop? Margarita flavor is subtle and hides beneath the aggesive carbonation of this drink. I don't know how to describe it further, but it hurts my tongue with its sourness, and I think my palate is filing for a divorce. The drying finish is odd and very unpleasant. I can only go down one road: My dear kitchen sink - Drink up!

I love soda, but this is just horrible. Even Diet 7UP tastes better than this. And this doesn't come cheap either. What's the point?

Want soda flavoring with alcohol? Get Smirnoff Ice. Want a fruit beer with good flavor? Get Pyramid Apricot Weizen.

2.01/5  rDev +11%

Pours bright straw yellow with a thin head that immediately drops to a wisp. All of two dots of lacing stick. Typical macro appearance.

The smell is of lime and a plastic-like fake cheap taquila-like aroma. I suppose that that's what they were going for, but it's not very pleasant. If I wanted a margarita, that's what I would drink - and I can enjoy one - but, where's the "beer" part?

The taste is sweet - lime and blue agave. Even there, there is something "arificial" about it. And, again, where's the "beer" - at least a little in back? Nope. And, again, I suppose that's what they were going for - but, too artificial and no "beer" anywhere.

The feel is light and fizzy, with a plastic-ish lime hanging on for too long.

On a hot day, the first half was almost interesting, but it became annoying and almost intolerable because of the sweetness that was relentless. Seems like a malt beverage that was margarita-like. Does this really belong in the beer category?--

1.33/5  rDev -26.5%

This is my least favorite Mexican marketed lager. It doesn't even go down well with a lime. The body is light and has way too much carbonation. The flavor is juts plain bitter. Some grainy mals can be found in the nose. The yellow color reminds me of some kind of wine cooler with no head.

2.09/5  rDev +15.5%

this beer goes down slow and after the first taste it tasted like sweet syrup. it is hard to compare to corona or dos equise the beer is like a bad brew of miller chill. this beer i would not let any one i know drink it. the only good thing is the clarity of the beer, it looks like it is supposed to but not the taste.

1.16/5  rDev -35.9%

How could I forget to review Tequiza! This is a monstrously bad substance.

Pours bright yellow. Smells fainly of tequila gone bad with skunky vegetable.

Taste is absolutely rancid. Borderline undrinkable. Combines a semi-tequila flavor with macrobrew skunk.

Completely and utterly horrific.

1.83/5  rDev +1.1%

I can actually say that Miller Chill is much better, although I really dont care for Miler Chill in the first place. My mom actualy likes this beer, in fact it was her first beer she enjoyed. I did turn her on to Chill, but nonetheless, she could care less about beer altogether.

1.91/5  rDev +5.5%

Tried one of these for the first time last weekend and was not impressed at all. I was given one at a party so I can thankfully say I did not purchase it.

Smells of lime and that's the only smell I could pick up. Drank cold and tasted lime, lime and more lime. It had a decent appearance which is the only credit I'll give this. Could not get the taste out of my mouth for hours after drinking.

Overall, I do not care for this beer at all. I would never have another one even if it were all that was available.

2.87/5  rDev +58.6%

This was given to me from a buddy who didn't quite care for it, but like it or not I'm always up for a new taste. Appearance is a light golden yellow with a crisp white head. Smell and taste is rather refreshing of sweet lime and slight hint of tequila with good crisp carbonation and having a light mouthfeel. Not to bad, refreshing enough, but I would'nt want to drink it as a session, one was a good taster for me.

2.06/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle from my friend's refrigerator

Poured into a frosted mug with a golden yellow color

Smell was made up of purely lime

Taste did not impress me, rather throw a lime in a Corona or Tecate

Could not drink much of these because the citrus taste overpowers everything else

2.12/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of sweet lime and that’s about it. There’s a little something that smells like soap, which I assume is the blue agave nectar that is listed on the beer’s label. I really couldn’t pick up much else other than that.

T: Much like the smell, the taste is very fruity and sweet with the flavors of lime & blue agave. The malt character is very light and there’s very little hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, very light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is a little slick.

D: A little tasty, goes down easy, not filling at all, it’s not a bad drink, but loosely passes for a beer in any regard. It seems more like a malternative to me.

2.95/5  rDev +63%

The only other time I ever came close to drinking this stuff was when I was 17 and working third shift at a gas station. The semi-retarded older man that I was working with brought a couple of cold Tequizas back into the break room, cracked one open, and invited me to do the same.

As I bottle was nearing my lips, he told me that he had found them in the trash outside.

Since then, I've avoided Tequiza just because I associate it with garbage.

Pours a very pale yellow. Icky bud staw whiteyellow, but there's a nice fluffy white head on it that sticks around.

Smells of inauthentic lemon juice and adjunct grain. Kind of like a shandy. No hint of tequila. No real "beer" presence. Still, not unpleasant.

Tastes like an American macro mixed with some Sprite. Smooth adjunct grain up front, moving into tart, fake lemon, and then ending on a bittersweet AB aftertaste.

There's nothing *bad* about this beer. I understand the low scores, what with people likening it to an alcopop or whatever, but just as I don't hestitate to give a good fruit/veg beer a good score, I will not hesitate to give a mediocre one a mediocre score. This ain't exactly worth searching out, but I can think of worse things to drink!

1.58/5  rDev -12.7%

Tequiza pours a light yellow color with a quickly disappearing white head from a clear twelve ounce bottle. The label says it's beer with blue agave nectar and the natural flavor of lime. In other words, tequila and lime. Who thought this was a good idea for a beer? I mean really, everybody loves the taste of tequila right, thats why so many things are tequila flavored, right? Enough editorializing, back to the review. This stuff smells like lime and chemicals. The taste is not what I expected, first off, I don't taste any beer. This tastes mostly like lime, and then a funky chemical taste. Thankfully, it doesn't really taste much like tequila. It's pretty bad, but not as nasty as I expected. Avoid unless curiosity just gets the best of you.

Tequiza from Anheuser-Busch