Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: TheManiacalOne on 04-19-2014

Reviews by 22Blue:

4.65/5  rDev +35.2%

WHAAAAAAT?! let me start by saying I will ALWAYS try a new shoktop, soooooooo much better than blue moon with their weird flavored beers, blue moon always tastes like a hint of whatever flavored blue moon, shocktop always actually taste like a completely different beer, this one is no exception.

the aroma is the greatest quality of this beer. in fact it's PERFECT. smells like a bready/doughy pretzel with some sugar and cinnamon freshly baked onto the top of it then liquidized and beerified. INSAIN.

the taste isn't as amazing as the smell would imply but it's still pretty stinkin good, definatley worth a 7.99 6 pack, I'd peg this as more of a brown ale then a wheat beer but whatever.

OVERALL: I think sometimes people judge a beer buy who makes it, OBVIOUSLY ANY smart and experienced craft beer drink HATE all the big guys, whoever they are, in this case Anheuser-Busch, hey I know I do. Sometimes even to the point where I won't even try their stupid new gimmicky products, BUT... when have you ever had a beer that was supposed to be flavored like a pretzel, one that tastes and ABSOLUOTLY smells like a warm fresh baked one!??! seriously!? get over your snobbyness, at least every once in a while when something truly UNIQUE comes around, hey if I can overcome my beer snob-ness every now and then, anyone can!! I've liked shocktop for a number of years, long before I even became a craft beer drinker, since then I've tried some of there products that definitely left a lot to be desired but this is the BEST shocktop I've EVER had and the best busch product I will probably ever have again. (1,607 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -7.8%

Tasted at a beer festival. The smell is that of pretzels, which I find amazing. That is where it ends. The taste is very hard to get down and it leaves an awful aftertaste. (172 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -11.6%

2.59/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Not a huge fan of shocktop and this was just to weird for me. (61 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Brown in color with great clarity and vigorous carbonation bubbles erupting from within. There's a scant amount of beige carbonation covering a third of the top. I have to admit that they have nailed the hard sourdough pretzel aroma. It tastes like a soggy slightly salty sourdough pretzel. Not sure what I expected but I like my pretzels hot and firm. The mouth is watery and salty. (388 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap.
Pleasant but highly unusual aroma and flavor. InBev has taken the pretzel idea seriously and successfully. There's so much good pretzel aroma and flavor here that there much be artificial flavors and aromatics, but they don't strike me as artificial [excepting the buttery aspect].

O: recommended for both quality and uniqueness. (342 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.42/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Different but overall yuck. Smell is a bit funky. Taste is ok I guess but I probably won't buy again. (101 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat
12 oz. brown glass bottle, coded "14297BF22"

Appearance: Clear deep-amber / russet brown. Short head of off-white foam. Average head retention and slightly better lacing at the outset.

Aroma: Well I'm not sure how they do this, but it actually smells like a pretzel. Buttery and toasty. (I guess it's actually quite easy to synthesis a buttery flavor chemically - it does smell a bit like movie theater popcorn butter). Beyond that there's really nothing more. It's very interesting but I'm not sure I find it compelling, or even welcoming as there's something about it that I just don't believe.

Flavor: More caramelish than the aroma suggests. It doesn't have the buttery note that the aroma does, nor the toastiness. Wheaty. Slightly fruity. I even imagine it's salty. Low level bitterness is just enough to keep it from becoming sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-light in body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Unusual, interesting, and accessible but overall kind of gimmicky. (1,019 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Just not my thing, it tastes like the description but not something I'd enjoy drinking again. (93 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

4.51/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat brewed by Anheuser-Busch, with an ABV 5.20% This brew pours out a nice brown color with a nice off white head. The smell is rich with grains and malts. Yes it dose smell like pretzels. The taste is pretzels with some grains and malts. I like how this brew is different from most brews on the market. The mouthfeel is rich with flavor with a smooth aftertaste. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. If you are not a fan of pretzels this is not the brew for you. Overall all I'm giving Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat a 4.5 out of 5. Anheuser-Busch did a nice job with this one, I would buy this brew again. (682 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

3.74/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

3.68/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Has a bronze color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of pretzels, salt. Taste is pretzels, salt, butter, different and enjoyable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique beer worth trying. (231 characters)

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat from Anheuser-Busch