Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

to view more.
Ratings: 167 | Reviews: 51
Reviews by 22Blue:
4.65/5  rDev +35.6%

WHAAAAAAT?! let me start by saying I will ALWAYS try a new shoktop, soooooooo much better than blue moon with their weird flavored beers, blue moon always tastes like a hint of whatever flavored blue moon, shocktop always actually taste like a completely different beer, this one is no exception.

the aroma is the greatest quality of this beer. in fact it's PERFECT. smells like a bready/doughy pretzel with some sugar and cinnamon freshly baked onto the top of it then liquidized and beerified. INSAIN.

the taste isn't as amazing as the smell would imply but it's still pretty stinkin good, definatley worth a 7.99 6 pack, I'd peg this as more of a brown ale then a wheat beer but whatever.

OVERALL: I think sometimes people judge a beer buy who makes it, OBVIOUSLY ANY smart and experienced craft beer drink HATE all the big guys, whoever they are, in this case Anheuser-Busch, hey I know I do. Sometimes even to the point where I won't even try their stupid new gimmicky products, BUT... when have you ever had a beer that was supposed to be flavored like a pretzel, one that tastes and ABSOLUOTLY smells like a warm fresh baked one!??! seriously!? get over your snobbyness, at least every once in a while when something truly UNIQUE comes around, hey if I can overcome my beer snob-ness every now and then, anyone can!! I've liked shocktop for a number of years, long before I even became a craft beer drinker, since then I've tried some of there products that definitely left a lot to be desired but this is the BEST shocktop I've EVER had and the best busch product I will probably ever have again.

Tasted at a beer festival. The smell is that of pretzels, which I find amazing. That is where it ends. The taste is very hard to get down and it leaves an awful aftertaste.

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Brown in color with great clarity and vigorous carbonation bubbles erupting from within. There's a scant amount of beige carbonation covering a third of the top. I have to admit that they have nailed the hard sourdough pretzel aroma. It tastes like a soggy slightly salty sourdough pretzel. Not sure what I expected but I like my pretzels hot and firm. The mouth is watery and salty.

3.81/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap.
Pleasant but highly unusual aroma and flavor. InBev has taken the pretzel idea seriously and successfully. There's so much good pretzel aroma and flavor here that there much be artificial flavors and aromatics, but they don't strike me as artificial [excepting the buttery aspect].

O: recommended for both quality and uniqueness.

2.42/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Different but overall yuck. Smell is a bit funky. Taste is ok I guess but I probably won't buy again.

3.76/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat
12 oz. brown glass bottle, coded "14297BF22"

Appearance: Clear deep-amber / russet brown. Short head of off-white foam. Average head retention and slightly better lacing at the outset.

Aroma: Well I'm not sure how they do this, but it actually smells like a pretzel. Buttery and toasty. (I guess it's actually quite easy to synthesis a buttery flavor chemically - it does smell a bit like movie theater popcorn butter). Beyond that there's really nothing more. It's very interesting but I'm not sure I find it compelling, or even welcoming as there's something about it that I just don't believe.

Flavor: More caramelish than the aroma suggests. It doesn't have the buttery note that the aroma does, nor the toastiness. Wheaty. Slightly fruity. I even imagine it's salty. Low level bitterness is just enough to keep it from becoming sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-light in body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Unusual, interesting, and accessible but overall kind of gimmicky.

2.35/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Just not my thing, it tastes like the description but not something I'd enjoy drinking again.

4.51/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat brewed by Anheuser-Busch, with an ABV 5.20% This brew pours out a nice brown color with a nice off white head. The smell is rich with grains and malts. Yes it dose smell like pretzels. The taste is pretzels with some grains and malts. I like how this brew is different from most brews on the market. The mouthfeel is rich with flavor with a smooth aftertaste. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. If you are not a fan of pretzels this is not the brew for you. Overall all I'm giving Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat a 4.5 out of 5. Anheuser-Busch did a nice job with this one, I would buy this brew again.

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Has a bronze color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of pretzels, salt. Taste is pretzels, salt, butter, different and enjoyable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique beer worth trying.

3.29/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on December 20, 2014.

It is a very attractive looking beer with its medium amber pour and modest off-white head.

The aroma is pretzels and salt with some caramel malts thrown in as well. If it is meant to emulate pretzels I should give this rating a "5" but I couldn't bring myself to it. It is a rather obnoxious pretzel aroma.

The body is light to medium.

The taste is a bit better than the nose with...yep pretzels...but also a sweet caramel malt character that makes it feel at least a little bit like a beer should.

What will they think of next?

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Did it literally taste like crushed pretzels put into a bottle? Yes. Is that a good thing? I am not so sure it is.

I love pretzels, but I can't see going for this again. More of a novelty than anything.

Will not seek out or purchase again.

3.29/5  rDev -4.1%

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat - Anheuser-Busch. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this has got a half finger thick white head with very little lacing, and a dark,murky mahogany brown body.

Smells like a freshly baked soft pretzel. This is either going to taste awesome or "ehhhhh"

I taste a bloody pretzel! It's doable, but man...just VERY different

This beer's mouthfeel is alright.

I'll give Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat - Anheuser-Busch an overall rating of 3. I will never buy the winter sampler pack this came in again. It was more of a curiosity purchase.

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat has a medium, quickly-dissipating, off-white head, a semi-clear, brown appearance, and a little bit of splotchy lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of a salty, twisted pretzel. The taste is the same, with a slight citrus back taste. Bitterness is pretty non-existent. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat finishes wet and unique.

RJT

3.08/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a reddish amber color, smallish head that fades quickly with no lacing on the glass.

Smell is fairly accurate for a pretzel, a malty breadiness with a slight salty aroma.

Taste is a mild caramel malt flavor with a slight saltiness and subtle slick butter feel, unbelievably thin body though such that it's not much more than water with fizzy carbonation more akin to a light beer.

Interesting concept with a decent aroma that quickly drops off a cliff once it hits your mouth, for something with the title of pretzel in it, it really needs a fuller body to back it up.

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours deep amber with a fizzy tan head that quickly disappears.

S: Wow, it actually does smell like a pretzel. Not necessarily like beer, but not bad.

T: What do ya know? Bready, buttery pretzel taste is pretty spot on, with a little caramel malt on the back end.

M: Light to medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: I can't really take this one all that seriously, but as a novelty beer it hits it's mark for smell and flavor and is fairly drinkable. Not bad.

4.87/5  rDev +42%

This beer is outstanding. Funny thing is, I laughed at my friends when they asked me to try this. They know that I don't really care for... "Shock Top" beers haha. I tried it from the assorted 12 Pack and my heavens does it deliver. People who are giving this beer anything under a 3 I can tell are literally only doing it because its either A) they have a hatred for American Pale Wheat style ales or B) they have a bias against Shock Top/AB as a company. "It's not Gumball Head... this beer sucks."

Most people who liked this beer have pretty much nailed all the notes on it, the smell and taste is pretty identical to a Pretzel (salty and doughy). The only thing bad I can even say about this beer, if its bad at all, is that it doesn't necessarily get better as it gets warmer (at least I thought it did).

Really hoping that Shock Top puts this into a 6 or 12 Pack next time they put it out.

4.68/5  rDev +36.4%

All that it's name implies

To the nose strong scent of fresh baked soft pretzel (cereal grain)

Salty on the tongue

Buttery mouth feel

Truly amazed that a macro brewer put this much attention into one of their beers.

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I have tried some great beers and I have tasted some really crappy ones. But this is the first time I tasted something I found "weird." And by weird, I mean, this sounded good by name, pretty decent by look, smelled great, but that's where I found my overall liking for the brew dried up. Although it had a great caramel scent mixed with a delicious bready smell, I couldn't taste any of it. It was a completely non existent - very surprising.

I should have loved this beer, but walked away confused...weird...

3.26/5  rDev -5%

This does ACTUALLY smell like a salty pretzel to me, which is amazing and surprising. How did they do that? However the smell is it's finest quality. It otherwise tastes like a pretty basic ale/lager. Kind of like a slightly darker than usual wheat I guess...ho-hum, cool to try, no need to buy again.

3.37/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On-tap 4/19/2014 at Doherty’s Ale House, in Warwick, RI served in a tapered pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark golden brown color, with a large foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains a buttery pretzel scent up front followed by wheat, caramelized malts and a touch of hops in the background.

T: The taste starts out very bready with the same buttered pretzel flavor prevalent. Then some mild sweetness comes in from flavors of caramel and fruit. The hops presence is very mild and creates a decent balance. The after-taste is bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent variation of style, it’s a decent beer to drink if you’re in the mood for this particular type of different flavor. Overall though it’s a just a mediocre beer.

2.65/5  rDev -22.7%

Smells fantastic, strong aroma of pretzel and caramel. Tastes too strongly of bready pretzel, so much so that it overwhelms the palate. High carbonation is overly bubbly on the tongue.

4.24/5  rDev +23.6%

Amazing gimicky smell, lacks a tiny bit of taste.

2.46/5  rDev -28.3%

Appearance is a clear brown color with a half finger white head.
aroma is nothing. Slight wheat and bread. No malt.
Flavor is strange bread and fake pretzel. Some weird berry flavor.
Mouthfeel is crisp and thin and actually the only refreshing thing about this beer.
I'm glad i tried it and it does taste like a pretzel.
just a stale gross watery pretzel

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A clear dark brown with a thin beige head.

Smell: There is something addicting about the smell. Sweet, yet salty. Smells like a baked pretzel.

Taste: It does tastes like a pretzel. A little sweet at first, then a salty finish. Strange to have a been taste like a pretzel.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated. It just feels a little artificial.

Overall: I was impressed by this beer, I did not expect it to taste as good as it did. It smells and taste like a pretzel, which I give props for. It just seems a little too fake. I would drink it again, but wouldn't go out of my way

2.57/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A weird, artificial tasting beer. Actually pretty tasteless once it gets going

to view more.