Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: TheManiacalOne on 04-19-2014

Reviews by rfgetz:

4.65/5  rDev +35.6%

WHAAAAAAT?! let me start by saying I will ALWAYS try a new shoktop, soooooooo much better than blue moon with their weird flavored beers, blue moon always tastes like a hint of whatever flavored blue moon, shocktop always actually taste like a completely different beer, this one is no exception.

the aroma is the greatest quality of this beer. in fact it's PERFECT. smells like a bready/doughy pretzel with some sugar and cinnamon freshly baked onto the top of it then liquidized and beerified. INSAIN.

the taste isn't as amazing as the smell would imply but it's still pretty stinkin good, definatley worth a 7.99 6 pack, I'd peg this as more of a brown ale then a wheat beer but whatever.

OVERALL: I think sometimes people judge a beer buy who makes it, OBVIOUSLY ANY smart and experienced craft beer drink HATE all the big guys, whoever they are, in this case Anheuser-Busch, hey I know I do. Sometimes even to the point where I won't even try their stupid new gimmicky products, BUT... when have you ever had a beer that was supposed to be flavored like a pretzel, one that tastes and ABSOLUOTLY smells like a warm fresh baked one!??! seriously!? get over your snobbyness, at least every once in a while when something truly UNIQUE comes around, hey if I can overcome my beer snob-ness every now and then, anyone can!! I've liked shocktop for a number of years, long before I even became a craft beer drinker, since then I've tried some of there products that definitely left a lot to be desired but this is the BEST shocktop I've EVER had and the best busch product I will probably ever have again.

3.17/5  rDev -7.6%

Tasted at a beer festival. The smell is that of pretzels, which I find amazing. That is where it ends. The taste is very hard to get down and it leaves an awful aftertaste.

3.04/5  rDev -11.4%

3.94/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.42/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Different but overall yuck. Smell is a bit funky. Taste is ok I guess but I probably won't buy again.

3.76/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat
12 oz. brown glass bottle, coded "14297BF22"

Appearance: Clear deep-amber / russet brown. Short head of off-white foam. Average head retention and slightly better lacing at the outset.

Aroma: Well I'm not sure how they do this, but it actually smells like a pretzel. Buttery and toasty. (I guess it's actually quite easy to synthesis a buttery flavor chemically - it does smell a bit like movie theater popcorn butter). Beyond that there's really nothing more. It's very interesting but I'm not sure I find it compelling, or even welcoming as there's something about it that I just don't believe.

Flavor: More caramelish than the aroma suggests. It doesn't have the buttery note that the aroma does, nor the toastiness. Wheaty. Slightly fruity. I even imagine it's salty. Low level bitterness is just enough to keep it from becoming sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-light in body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Unusual, interesting, and accessible but overall kind of gimmicky.

2.35/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Just not my thing, it tastes like the description but not something I'd enjoy drinking again.

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

4.51/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat brewed by Anheuser-Busch, with an ABV 5.20% This brew pours out a nice brown color with a nice off white head. The smell is rich with grains and malts. Yes it dose smell like pretzels. The taste is pretzels with some grains and malts. I like how this brew is different from most brews on the market. The mouthfeel is rich with flavor with a smooth aftertaste. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. If you are not a fan of pretzels this is not the brew for you. Overall all I'm giving Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat a 4.5 out of 5. Anheuser-Busch did a nice job with this one, I would buy this brew again.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.29/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on December 20, 2014.

It is a very attractive looking beer with its medium amber pour and modest off-white head.

The aroma is pretzels and salt with some caramel malts thrown in as well. If it is meant to emulate pretzels I should give this rating a "5" but I couldn't bring myself to it. It is a rather obnoxious pretzel aroma.

The body is light to medium.

The taste is a bit better than the nose with...yep pretzels...but also a sweet caramel malt character that makes it feel at least a little bit like a beer should.

What will they think of next?

4.12/5  rDev +20.1%

3.29/5  rDev -4.1%

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat - Anheuser-Busch. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this has got a half finger thick white head with very little lacing, and a dark,murky mahogany brown body.

Smells like a freshly baked soft pretzel. This is either going to taste awesome or "ehhhhh"

I taste a bloody pretzel! It's doable, but man...just VERY different

This beer's mouthfeel is alright.

I'll give Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat - Anheuser-Busch an overall rating of 3. I will never buy the winter sampler pack this came in again. It was more of a curiosity purchase.

Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat from Anheuser-Busch