Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob AmberBockMichelob AmberBock

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
Reviews: 661 | Hads: 1,689

No "Beer Snob" review here. Bottom line is.....you will love it. Winter time beer of choice for me. Stick to your ribs taste. Similar to a Marzen so you can drink like it's Oktoberfest all year long.

Looking for a new beer to try I decided to sample the Amber Bock at the happy hour provided by the hotel I am staying at.

The appearance looked like a dark amber golden color which is nice to look at while drinking this beer.

I loved the hints of caramel and the sweet smell of vanilla. It did not have that skunky smell to it which I find somewhat offensive.

The taste is phenomenal. I could taste the sweetness and bitterness which gave a nice mouthfeel. I allowed the beer to sit in my mouth for 15 seconds and swirled it around a bit and it left me with a refreshing aftertaste. I would drink this beer over a light beer and while its not Leffe its a beer I would not be ashamed of drinking or serving at a party.

Overall this beer gets a 5/5 because the price is right, you are getting an American Bock Beer which can be served at anytime during the year with various foods. It was so good I asked for a second pour. With a lemon it gives a citrus aspect to the overall taste.

4.75/5  rDev +65.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As an early "boomer," I was a sucker for PBR-Bock (seasonal - can). Michelob, Amberbock is better quality at the right price... Excellent beer relative to my tastes. I like a darker tasting, heavier beer but not more than one traditional Guinness.

4.65/5  rDev +62%

This beer is farmost one of my most favored domestic beers in the United States. Since I am not a fan of light beers, this is a nice dark beer. It is not to dark, where it is hard to drink. The beer is very easy to drink and has a great taste. If I were to walk into a beer distributor 9 times out of 10 I would walk out with this beer. I recommend this beer to everyone, it is truely a great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +56.8%

friends told me to try this beer and i did and i liked it. Pretty even thick and balanced taste, not overpowering, but not at all watered down. i'm sure this would be good on tap, i'll let you know when i get a chance to try it. but you should try one and suprise yourself, maybe michelob should break off anheiser, they actually know a little about a descent beer.

4.47/5  rDev +55.7%

Amazing, it isn't bitter, looks great, smells perfect, & tastes even better. As smooth a beer as I've ever had. This was my first bock and I'll be heading to the store tonight to find some others, because this is one of the greatest brews I've ever seen.

4.45/5  rDev +55.1%

This is a very good beer on draft, I do not care for the bottle.I used to drink Killian Red and after I tried AB i was sold!!!
AmberBock is a 5.2% abv amber lager which uses roasted black barley malt in the ingredients, and which received a World Beer Cup Bronze Medal in 1998.

4.43/5  rDev +54.4%

I've had it both in a bottle, and on tap. It pores like other bock styles, nice dark/rich color and moderate size head. The aroma had a maltiness to it, with almost a chocolate hint. The finish is a heavier, filling taste while still keeping you wanting more. It's my favorite winter time, by the bon fire beer. It gives you all the fill you want without being completely bitter and so heavy that you feel like you need to take out a knife to cut through it.

4.35/5  rDev +51.6%

For anyone who doesn't want your typical American watered down beer, but can't appreciate a full Euro-style dark beer, this is a perfect 'tweener' beer. After I started drinking Amber Bock, I couldn't go back to the typical US beer. Is it the perfect beer? No- but if you appreciate some flavor, without the bitterness of a thick style brew, give MAB a try. One of the things I appreciate most about it is there is no nasty 'aftertaste' that lingers like most mirobrews, and even many macros. The taste when it first hits your tongue is the same all the way through after swallowing.

4.35/5  rDev +51.6%

Appearance - This beer is a solid Amber color, slightly darker than your typical Red Lagers, looks beautiful in dim rooms, extremely clear even though it is dark. The head pours 3-4 fingers everytime, and dissipates within a few minutes.

Smell - Toasted Malts and caramel with a light hint of hops, very appealing to me.

Taste - Begins sweet, noticeably smooth and extremely well balanced, there is a hint of bitterness with no lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Feels extremely light in the mouth, however the carbonation is perfect, it lacks a noticeable presence and body.

Drinkability - I could drink this beer non-stop all day for a week, which is extremely rare of any beer I drink, alcohol content is low enough, yet the taste is pleasant and balanced for me to keep drinking over and over again.

4.29/5  rDev +49.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Michelob AmberBock brewed by Anheuser-Busch with an ABV of 5.2% This brew pours a nice brown color with a nice white head. The smell is rich with grains and malts. There also some sweetness in the smell. The taste is bold with flavor. There is a lot going on in this brew. Nice taste of grains and malts. There is nothing over powering in this brew. Michelob AmberBock has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. This is a real refreshing brew,Anheuser-Busch did a nice job with this one. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.5 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

4.29/5  rDev +49.5%

This beer has one of the best after tastes in my opinion. Rather smooth and easy to drink. Has a nice hint of caramel. A very sweet taste to it. It says its a dark lager but isn't as dark as expected. Overall very good. Tops on my list. Would definitely recommend to anyone that hasnt given it a try.

4.28/5  rDev +49.1%

got it as a gift from a job.. didnt know if i would like michelobs amber bock.. had bocks before but was impressed with the taste.. like this beer alot and went out and got a six pack.. hard to find by me when i see it i buy it..

nice head when poured in to glass.. buetyful color.. and great taste.. the after taste was a nice sweet after taste

4.25/5  rDev +48.1%

Took a chance on it since the store I stopped at didn't have shiner bock. Good tasting beer smells of floral and caramel notes. Not as good as shiner but a lot smoother and easier to drink than some bocks. Can taste the caramel and corn tastes. No skunk to it. Goes down easy around a fire. Found myself drinking the whole case

4.24/5  rDev +47.7%

Appearance: Thin white head that dissapears quickly, dark brown but red in the light (an "Amber" bock that's a dark lager? hmm) a nice color though.

Smell: Dark but not as loud as some others, distinct but not overbearing, I like it.

Taste: Again you'll know it's a dark lager the moment it hits your lips, but not overpowering, nice subtle flavors.

Mouthfeel: Great beer, goes down easy, fantastic aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very satisfying, a fine beer for any beer drinker that is sure to please.

Overall: I'm a definite fan of this beer now, and I will definitely buy it again. The best macro beer thus far I've had, and one of the few I actually recommend.

4.2/5  rDev +46.3%

Only Michelob product I will touch. Definitely one of my go to brews when a serious session is in order. It is a good example of an American Bock beer and goes down extremely easy.

A - dark brownish color

T- Carmel malts and sweet. A little watery also.

4.18/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a pint glass of this beer on tap. Only tried it because the bar I was in had the usual swill on tap and this was the only interesting beer. Not a fan by any means of ANYTHING brewed by A-B, but l like bock and wanted to give it a try.

Color is a darker amber, the taste was actually pretty good. Not really a bock beer imo, but a good dark lager would be a more appropriate type. Has a sweet, malty taste with a clean, refreshing finish. This would even be a good summer beer as it has that clean, lighter taste for a "bock" beer. I would even buy a case of this...not bad at all.

4.13/5  rDev +43.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Ok. There are two major types of Beer drinkers. Beer snobs and Beer Geeks. Fuck a beer snob. Beer snobs say stupid shit like, Im a hop head, or macro=evil...Give me a break. The worst part about Michelob? They changed the bottle from the original design. Look, if you want a deep complex expirience buy some micro/can't buy any day but Thursday and Tuesday and its a limit of 1 per customer/we made a new beer out of fish ass and stop reading this.If you enjoy beer than this is a good/best american lager in the bock style. There is no lacing and it pours a damn full soda-ish head. It tastes good. Like a good beer, but its a Michelob! Its like 6 bucks a 6 pack and at 5.1% its decent. Look. I'm a beer Geek. That means I love beer. Fuck the beer snob s who judge. Do yourself a favor and buy a six pack of Michelob the next time your reaching for that $9.50 22 ounce Muffin Top/Space Cake and drink some god damned beer. Thank me later.

I had this for the first time in a while a couple of days ago and I always seem to get it on tap. I had it at The Biergarten at Anheuser Busch in St. Louis (so right at the source). As stated it was on tap and served in the new Michelob AmberBock snifter glass. It was a lot better than I remembered from the previous times I've had it. It seemed pretty complex and it went very well with the brat and soft pretzel sticks I ordered.

i like it!! :) had a good buzz going at 30oz. :). (and i weigh in at 240 pounds.) i'll have another one!
i am a novice drinker even though i am in my 60's and never really cared for beer. this one drinks nicely and was enjoyable to drink. my little brother has much more experience with beer (and drinking in general) and i am going to ask him to taste this one. is that enough letters now???

The bottle states this is a dark lager and it is an ok beer for what it tries to be. This might be the best AB beer unless you prefer the Brewmasters Reserve. The color, smell and taste are all good but I do consider it a dark lager as opposed to a bock, I can't really complain about anything concerning this beer. I think this is a very good session beer and should not be dismissed just because it is from one of the big boys.

For a regular beer that does not cost much money it is one of my favorite, along with newcastle.

for when you dont want budlight but you dont have the cash for rogue or delirium.

3.95/5  rDev +37.6%

Look: Poured 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Hazy reddish-brown color. Even head which sticks with the full drink and the foam lingers on the glass.

Smell: Nice chocolate and caramel smell that grabs your nose right away. It has that beer smell to it, the barley, malts, and hops.

Taste: Really sweet and sugary and creamy. Really unique combination of a beer and bock taste, also like a black and tan.

Mouthfeel: Has a nice wetness to the mouthfeel, and it finishes wet. Not much left in the aftertaste departments except the caramelized malts.

Drinkability: Really easy another aspect of the beer quality.

3.95/5  rDev +37.6%

12oz brown bottle (all-malt version). Clear copper-brown body with a half an inch of off-white head. Smells a bit on the weak side, but c aramel malt dominates. Tastes roasty and caramelly too, sweet. Medium in body. Very drinkable. Not sure I'd call with one a bock still, but aside from being slightly weak, I have no problem with this beer,and I can deffinitely see drinking this one again when I'm a little strapped for cash, or maybe even when I'm not. Good stuff.

3.92/5  rDev +36.6%

The big wigs sure do know how to make these beers look appealing. Something just pulls you in with the labeling and the marketing. I remember liking this one so let's see how she pans out this time around.

Appearance - in bottle, but a beautiful looking one.

Smell - Dark caramel malts, sweet toasted grains. Metallic tomato. Light fruits and floral notes. Some processed corn but kept in check. Smells like Budweiser but with no skunk. I like this nose. A lot.

Taste - Smooth and tasty. A hint, and I mean a hint, of bock bitterness which steps out of the way almost immediately leaving a clean and crisp finish. Identifiers would include tomato, metallic baked bread, washed out grains. Towards the end it develops a metallic after taste. The taste really is pretty good, and definitely refreshing.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated, which is not surprising for a big labeled beer. Under the carbonation is a creamy wash that gives the impression of a full-bodied beer. Finishes crisp and clean.

Overall - The last few beers I have rated I haven't been very impressed with. They were less than satisfactory. This is a nice change of pace and a welcome addition to my beer cache. I thoroughly enjoyed this Amber Bock and I will buy it again.

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch