2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob AmberBockMichelob AmberBock

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.

(Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,352 | Reviews: 635 | Show All Ratings:
beersunited

Looking for a new beer to try I decided to sample the Amber Bock at the happy hour provided by the hotel I am staying at.

The appearance looked like a dark amber golden color which is nice to look at while drinking this beer.

I loved the hints of caramel and the sweet smell of vanilla. It did not have that skunky smell to it which I find somewhat offensive.

The taste is phenomenal. I could taste the sweetness and bitterness which gave a nice mouthfeel. I allowed the beer to sit in my mouth for 15 seconds and swirled it around a bit and it left me with a refreshing aftertaste. I would drink this beer over a light beer and while its not Leffe its a beer I would not be ashamed of drinking or serving at a party.

Overall this beer gets a 5/5 because the price is right, you are getting an American Bock Beer which can be served at anytime during the year with various foods. It was so good I asked for a second pour. With a lemon it gives a citrus aspect to the overall taste.

06-08-2012 21:14:26 | More by beersunited
belllarry

4.75/5  rDev +65.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As an early "boomer," I was a sucker for PBR-Bock (seasonal - can). Michelob, Amberbock is better quality at the right price... Excellent beer relative to my tastes. I like a darker tasting, heavier beer but not more than one traditional Guinness.

10-10-2013 01:45:01 | More by belllarry
jrb1001

4.7/5  rDev +63.8%

This beer is farmost one of my most favored domestic beers in the United States. Since I am not a fan of light beers, this is a nice dark beer. It is not to dark, where it is hard to drink. The beer is very easy to drink and has a great taste. If I were to walk into a beer distributor 9 times out of 10 I would walk out with this beer. I recommend this beer to everyone, it is truely a great beer.

07-24-2006 04:12:48 | More by jrb1001
twi1609372

4.5/5  rDev +56.8%

friends told me to try this beer and i did and i liked it. Pretty even thick and balanced taste, not overpowering, but not at all watered down. i'm sure this would be good on tap, i'll let you know when i get a chance to try it. but you should try one and suprise yourself, maybe michelob should break off anheiser, they actually know a little about a descent beer.

07-04-2004 00:06:26 | More by twi1609372
CHBRYSON

4.48/5  rDev +56.1%

This is a very good beer on draft, I do not care for the bottle.I used to drink Killian Red and after I tried AB i was sold!!!
AmberBock is a 5.2% abv amber lager which uses roasted black barley malt in the ingredients, and which received a World Beer Cup Bronze Medal in 1998.

05-10-2012 04:43:36 | More by CHBRYSON
cptnjck101

4.45/5  rDev +55.1%

Amazing, it isn't bitter, looks great, smells perfect, & tastes even better. As smooth a beer as I've ever had. This was my first bock and I'll be heading to the store tonight to find some others, because this is one of the greatest brews I've ever seen.

08-26-2004 00:55:46 | More by cptnjck101
Trent15

4.45/5  rDev +55.1%

I've had it both in a bottle, and on tap. It pores like other bock styles, nice dark/rich color and moderate size head. The aroma had a maltiness to it, with almost a chocolate hint. The finish is a heavier, filling taste while still keeping you wanting more. It's my favorite winter time, by the bon fire beer. It gives you all the fill you want without being completely bitter and so heavy that you feel like you need to take out a knife to cut through it.

12-30-2012 00:14:02 | More by Trent15
savaship

4.38/5  rDev +52.6%

Appearance - This beer is a solid Amber color, slightly darker than your typical Red Lagers, looks beautiful in dim rooms, extremely clear even though it is dark. The head pours 3-4 fingers everytime, and dissipates within a few minutes.

Smell - Toasted Malts and caramel with a light hint of hops, very appealing to me.

Taste - Begins sweet, noticeably smooth and extremely well balanced, there is a hint of bitterness with no lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Feels extremely light in the mouth, however the carbonation is perfect, it lacks a noticeable presence and body.

Drinkability - I could drink this beer non-stop all day for a week, which is extremely rare of any beer I drink, alcohol content is low enough, yet the taste is pleasant and balanced for me to keep drinking over and over again.

07-30-2010 18:18:53 | More by savaship
bballjosh3

4.33/5  rDev +50.9%

This beer has one of the best after tastes in my opinion. Rather smooth and easy to drink. Has a nice hint of caramel. A very sweet taste to it. It says its a dark lager but isn't as dark as expected. Overall very good. Tops on my list. Would definitely recommend to anyone that hasnt given it a try.

02-04-2009 04:23:56 | More by bballjosh3
njthebestofme

4.33/5  rDev +50.9%

got it as a gift from a job.. didnt know if i would like michelobs amber bock.. had bocks before but was impressed with the taste.. like this beer alot and went out and got a six pack.. hard to find by me when i see it i buy it..

nice head when poured in to glass.. buetyful color.. and great taste.. the after taste was a nice sweet after taste

02-20-2009 05:47:16 | More by njthebestofme
TheDeuce

4.28/5  rDev +49.1%

Appearance: Thin white head that dissapears quickly, dark brown but red in the light (an "Amber" bock that's a dark lager? hmm) a nice color though.

Smell: Dark but not as loud as some others, distinct but not overbearing, I like it.

Taste: Again you'll know it's a dark lager the moment it hits your lips, but not overpowering, nice subtle flavors.

Mouthfeel: Great beer, goes down easy, fantastic aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very satisfying, a fine beer for any beer drinker that is sure to please.

Overall: I'm a definite fan of this beer now, and I will definitely buy it again. The best macro beer thus far I've had, and one of the few I actually recommend.

09-25-2004 02:54:06 | More by TheDeuce
liftop

4.2/5  rDev +46.3%

Only Michelob product I will touch. Definitely one of my go to brews when a serious session is in order. It is a good example of an American Bock beer and goes down extremely easy.

A - dark brownish color

T- Carmel malts and sweet. A little watery also.

09-19-2010 00:10:51 | More by liftop
WaffenSS

4.19/5  rDev +46%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a pint glass of this beer on tap. Only tried it because the bar I was in had the usual swill on tap and this was the only interesting beer. Not a fan by any means of ANYTHING brewed by A-B, but l like bock and wanted to give it a try.

Color is a darker amber, the taste was actually pretty good. Not really a bock beer imo, but a good dark lager would be a more appropriate type. Has a sweet, malty taste with a clean, refreshing finish. This would even be a good summer beer as it has that clean, lighter taste for a "bock" beer. I would even buy a case of this...not bad at all.

06-02-2013 12:24:03 | More by WaffenSS
ejimhof

The bottle states this is a dark lager and it is an ok beer for what it tries to be. This might be the best AB beer unless you prefer the Brewmasters Reserve. The color, smell and taste are all good but I do consider it a dark lager as opposed to a bock, I can't really complain about anything concerning this beer. I think this is a very good session beer and should not be dismissed just because it is from one of the big boys.

07-09-2007 02:49:01 | More by ejimhof
justme62

Arizona

i like it!! :) had a good buzz going at 30oz. :). (and i weigh in at 240 pounds.) i'll have another one!
i am a novice drinker even though i am in my 60's and never really cared for beer. this one drinks nicely and was enjoyable to drink. my little brother has much more experience with beer (and drinking in general) and i am going to ask him to taste this one. is that enough letters now???

11-05-2013 06:37:00 | More by justme62
ProfessorHops

3.98/5  rDev +38.7%

A surprisingly great beer from a brewing giant. I loved this beer. It could have been a little less punishing when guzzled, but hey it's a dark beer and we are not dealing with Coors Light here. I loved it!!!!

I think the beer is buitiful to look at, and is rather smooth. Pluse the bottle is a classic I know allot of Micalobe is served in this bottle. But the lable and beer fit perfectly

PH

03-31-2006 05:41:10 | More by ProfessorHops
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

3.98/5  rDev +38.7%

12oz brown bottle (all-malt version). Clear copper-brown body with a half an inch of off-white head. Smells a bit on the weak side, but c aramel malt dominates. Tastes roasty and caramelly too, sweet. Medium in body. Very drinkable. Not sure I'd call with one a bock still, but aside from being slightly weak, I have no problem with this beer,and I can deffinitely see drinking this one again when I'm a little strapped for cash, or maybe even when I'm not. Good stuff.

04-09-2007 22:24:36 | More by MrHurmateeowish
NOOGIE

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev +37.6%

Look: Poured 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Hazy reddish-brown color. Even head which sticks with the full drink and the foam lingers on the glass.

Smell: Nice chocolate and caramel smell that grabs your nose right away. It has that beer smell to it, the barley, malts, and hops.

Taste: Really sweet and sugary and creamy. Really unique combination of a beer and bock taste, also like a black and tan.

Mouthfeel: Has a nice wetness to the mouthfeel, and it finishes wet. Not much left in the aftertaste departments except the caramelized malts.

Drinkability: Really easy another aspect of the beer quality.

11-17-2009 03:28:24 | More by NOOGIE
BermahOne

3.93/5  rDev +36.9%

It's appearance is a very dark Lager. It's head goes away pretty quickly. It is very easy to drink and smooth. Taste, very nutty with a hint of caramel. I tried for the first time at a Dodger game, it was this or Bud Light. I tried it again by bottle, it's not that bad, probably my favorite Domestic beer.

08-04-2008 18:47:28 | More by BermahOne
CS1971

3.93/5  rDev +36.9%

Two things I love equally, saving money and drinking good beer. For the price, I really like this beer. I love amber beers, and this as a great roasty type flavor that makes me feel like I am drinking something more special than most American beers. I like it.

Serving type: growler

09-02-2011 01:04:45 | More by CS1971
NeroFiddled

3.9/5  rDev +35.9%

It pours a clear, brown body with a dull orange cast and ruby highlights. The short but creamy off-white head drops readily but keeps a creamy collar and whispy surface covering. It laces nicely as you drink, but all that sticks to the glass is some spotty lace. Still, the appearance is quite enjoyable. The nose expresses a mildly sweet and lightly toasty malt with some mild floral and spicy hops deep in the background. The body is light/medium with a very fine carbonation that gently caresses the tongue. The flavor is delicately balanced between a lightly sweet, gently toasty malt and a restrained bitterness. It finishes clean and dry with a light touch of residual toasted maltiness. Very nicely done! Exceptionally clean, well-balanced, and quite drinkable with enough character to keep it interesting for those who've moved beyond American lagers. Well worth trying.

01-28-2003 14:47:13 | More by NeroFiddled
Sosh

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev +35.9%

It had a born on date of March 9.

I was in a dimly lit room, so I couldn't really tell the color. Dark brown was all I could see, couldn't pick up on the subleties. It had a quickly desolving head but left a decent lace. At first drink it had a very sweet taste, which lasted all the way through. Smooth beer overall. I ate it with a New York Strip, which complemented it nicely. I'd get this again.

05-06-2006 01:59:29 | More by Sosh
natezero

3.9/5  rDev +35.9%

I am quite new to the world of reviewing beers so I thought I would start with something I enjoy and can be found anywhere.

One of the most strong points about the Amber Bock is the taste. It has a decent amount of hoppiness in flavor, something I wouldn't expect from a Michelob beer.

It is a little thin for a dark lager, but it still decent.

The biggest downside to this beer is the amount of carbonation bubbles in it. Even just casually drinking it will cause a massive amount of foam to appear.

Overall, a great choice if you need something tasty.

01-03-2008 17:48:08 | More by natezero
JoKo

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev +35.9%

Served in Otter Creek World Tour Pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown/amber color with inch thick off-white head. Moderate carbonation.

Smell: Some malts, caramel present. The aroma isn't strong with this beer.

Taste: Sweet malts up front, some caramel, very low bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, not real crisp, kind of lingers in your mouth after a few sips.

Drinkability: Easy drinkability, a good beer but not anything that is going to blow you away with complexity. Nonetheless a descent lager that I would not mind drinking again.

09-11-2009 04:10:43 | More by JoKo
jmdrpi

3.9/5  rDev +35.9%

appears a real dark copper with bright white thin head. crystal clear, decent head retention.

aroma is nice malt flavor, carmel, but not too sweet.

very pleasantly suprised by the taste. nice smooth mellow tatse. obviously malty, with hints of chocolate. not too complex, but easy to drink.

body is on the thinner side, lower carbonation, but smooth.

01-12-2011 02:37:08 | More by jmdrpi