Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.

(Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros

acsprouse, Feb 21, 2013

No discernable hops, other than a vague bitterness. Finish was a raw, grain character. Primary flavoring agent seemed to be alcohol. Run Will Robinson, Run!

Brent, Aug 17, 2001

dmargittai, May 11, 2012

byrnemi, Feb 22, 2012

aLenwell, May 14, 2013
1.08/5  rDev -62.4%

I usually stay away from BMC but I thought I'd give this one a try since it was cheap and I like bock style. I should have known better than to be so easily mislead. This beer is terrible, let me explain why.

The beer pours a totally flat stained wood mahogany color. Notice that the stain color isn't good. This beer seems dangerous and oddly unnatural. The head is a dull beige. Fizzy and quickly disseminates. The label on the beer says it pours a tall head. That's a tall tale.

I smell poor quality grain malts. Adjunct malts. Corn and rice. A typical AB product. There is a slight roasted smell. A distant smell of low quality coffee and sugar. There is a nauseous alcohol smell. There are no discernable hops.

This beer taste poor. The malts are so heavy handed and brash they leave no room for the flavor to develop. This taste nothing like the bock's I am used to. The alcohol isn't well concealed. I call this the King Cobra Bock. I can't drink this.

The mouthfeel is harsh and poorly balanced. It's too carbonated for the style and finishes with the typical AB "ugh" taste.

Totally undrinkable psuedo bock. I would rather just drink a Bud light. I highly discourage the drinking of this beer.

BerkeleyBeerMan, Sep 14, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -58.2%

Pours a dark brown with a decent head and some lacing. Smell is of a typical macro lager, but with some roasted grain and maybe a hint of some coffee. There is maybe a little bit of coffee in the taste, hard to sense any hops even though the label suggests a perfect balance of hops, saying that this taste existed in this beer is just being nice, it just tasted so off, I expected a lot more from this. Mouthfeel was overcarbonated and on the thin side. Drinkability was awful to me, I thought at the very least this would be drinkable, but I just do not care for this, it is almost a task to finish.

badbeer, Jan 12, 2006

beaulabauve, Apr 30, 2012

east97, Nov 07, 2012

kds2437, Jul 21, 2013

beernads, Jan 25, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -56.4%

Appearance
Well, you can't accuse this beer of looking like other beers that have made AB-InBev so famous, well, almost. The characteristics of the head and ensuing carbonation don't venture far from Anheuser's comfort zone. The bottle claims this will pour with a tall head. Uh, tall head? Compared to what? A flat keg at a frat house? Ohhh, no! Now I see what they mean by tall head, there is a few ghostly wisps of foam that don't fully dissipate. *eyeroll*. The beer is perfectly clear when backlight, a sign of the filtering, pasteurization, filtering, filtering, pasteurization, some crazy method for filtering that I've never heard of and pasteurization. But its a red-purple color.

Aroma
It starts off smelling a lot like a typical adjuncted lager, and ends up smelling pretty much the same. No rich bock fruitiness, but lots and lots of grain and corn meal. Notions of caramel scented additives are here, but in moderation.

Taste
Sweet. Ok, Bocks are often sweet. But Bocks never have such artificial flavors in them. The stuff is mainly maize grits, popcorn kernels, grape drink underattenuation and soda syrup.

Mouthfeel
The typical Anheuser water thickness with pins and needles carbonation. It numbs the tongue, but I think that's what ends up making this stuff drinkable.

Overall
The last time I've had this stuff was from the very bottom of a keg at a bar back home in Wheeling. That glass was proof that they use some sort of artificial flavoring or coloring here. That glass tasted like pure caramel flavored soda syrup. As if it had all settled to the bottom of the keg over the month or so it took them to sell it all. It was horrible. This stuff is a safer bet in the bottle, but a much, much worse value. Don't buy it, its mocking the craft beer world. Its fitting that the rest of the BA community finds it suitable for a C though.

MbpBugeye, Oct 11, 2011

ahommell, Jul 09, 2013
1.38/5  rDev -51.9%

I chose a pseudo-craft beer as my 100th review. One of our duties as reviewers is to warn the unsuspecting, so here goes. I sampled this horrible brew at The Tiki Bar, an outdoor grill on the beach on Marco Island. Michelob was test-marketing Amber Bock in several states and it was my misfortune for having vacationed in Florida at this time. It was a sunny and balmy afternoon. Bikini clad beauties were bouncing around, showing off what they had developed over the winter (quite a distraction from my relaxed reading and quite the chore of appearing disinterested with my girlfriend's harsh glare beating down upon the back of my neck). The smell of grilled shrimp and burgers wafted over me, exciting my remaining senses. I wandered over to the Tiki and noticed, with curious interest, Michelob Amber Bock on tap. Hmmm! How bad could it be? Well, despite my most excellent surroundings and laissez-faire attitude, the answer, to be kind is disgusting! Flat dark tan in color and rapidly vanishing off-white head. Sweet sugary malt and soaked corncob aroma. The pasty-mealy malt is difficult to swallow. This bland, sweet tasting, lightly hopped beer is in keeping with the A-B tradition of marketing over quality brewing techniques. Again A-B had the opportunity to enter the craft brew market by brewing a really fine bock beer. They chose instead, the road of mass-produced-type swill and major advertising campaigns. Argh! In case you’re still interested, the rest of my vacation went very well despite A-B’s attempt to ruin it.

BeerResearcher, Apr 14, 2003
1.4/5  rDev -51.2%

a - dark amber - maple syrup in color. Frothy two finger caramel head with small, even bubbles.

s - has that lightly sweet/sour light beer smell. Barely there.

t - Copper flavored water (bleh) with a distinct fake-malt aftertaste.

m - all the body and mouthfeel of a glass of water

d - I don't want more than the first half but I'll finish it rather than pour it out. Superbly underwhelming. It's as though they added coloring and copper to a standard light beer.

I didn't pick this up to hate it. I had some hope that perhaps the Michelob series had SOME promise. So far they have been terrible.

talkinghatrack, Mar 14, 2009