Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
Reviews: 666 | Hads: 1,702

No discernable hops, other than a vague bitterness. Finish was a raw, grain character. Primary flavoring agent seemed to be alcohol. Run Will Robinson, Run!

1.02/5  rDev -64.5%

I was born in 1956 in Wisconsin and have been drinking beer for a LONG time. This beer is so bad I signed up for Beer Advocate just to tell you how bad this beer is. It has all the depth of a glass of water with some caramel coloring added to it. It has no obvious smell, no describable taste, and no mouth feel whatsoever, except the feeling like I just got gyped out of $7.59. To be completely fair, there is an unpleasant metallic after taste after a burp or two. Honestly, with my eyes closed my first impression was it was Miller Light, but then the alcohol content proved me wrong. It was right next to the Guiness Stout in the cooler at the corner store. Should have gone for that.

1.08/5  rDev -62.4%

I usually stay away from BMC but I thought I'd give this one a try since it was cheap and I like bock style. I should have known better than to be so easily mislead. This beer is terrible, let me explain why.

The beer pours a totally flat stained wood mahogany color. Notice that the stain color isn't good. This beer seems dangerous and oddly unnatural. The head is a dull beige. Fizzy and quickly disseminates. The label on the beer says it pours a tall head. That's a tall tale.

I smell poor quality grain malts. Adjunct malts. Corn and rice. A typical AB product. There is a slight roasted smell. A distant smell of low quality coffee and sugar. There is a nauseous alcohol smell. There are no discernable hops.

This beer taste poor. The malts are so heavy handed and brash they leave no room for the flavor to develop. This taste nothing like the bock's I am used to. The alcohol isn't well concealed. I call this the King Cobra Bock. I can't drink this.

The mouthfeel is harsh and poorly balanced. It's too carbonated for the style and finishes with the typical AB "ugh" taste.

Totally undrinkable psuedo bock. I would rather just drink a Bud light. I highly discourage the drinking of this beer.

1.22/5  rDev -57.5%

The first time I tried this beer was on tap in Newburg, OR in 2003. The bar had just purchased it for the first time on tap. My buddy ordered one, and it was so bad that none of the 12 broke college guys (including me) would finish the pint!

Three years later, an Army buddy brought a 6 pack to a party at my house. He drank one, then chose to drink my PBR for the rest of the night. The remaining 5 lived in the back of the fridge until right before my next deployment. The Amber Bock was the "sucks to be you" beer in the bottom of the drink-o board. And I'm pretty sure we still poured one out on the lawn.

Basically, the beer tastes like caramel water. There is no mouthfeel other than carbonation.

1.24/5  rDev -56.8%

Pours a dark brown with a decent head and some lacing. Smell is of a typical macro lager, but with some roasted grain and maybe a hint of some coffee. There is maybe a little bit of coffee in the taste, hard to sense any hops even though the label suggests a perfect balance of hops, saying that this taste existed in this beer is just being nice, it just tasted so off, I expected a lot more from this. Mouthfeel was overcarbonated and on the thin side. Drinkability was awful to me, I thought at the very least this would be drinkable, but I just do not care for this, it is almost a task to finish.

1.28/5  rDev -55.4%

Well, you can't accuse this beer of looking like other beers that have made AB-InBev so famous, well, almost. The characteristics of the head and ensuing carbonation don't venture far from Anheuser's comfort zone. The bottle claims this will pour with a tall head. Uh, tall head? Compared to what? A flat keg at a frat house? Ohhh, no! Now I see what they mean by tall head, there is a few ghostly wisps of foam that don't fully dissipate. *eyeroll*. The beer is perfectly clear when backlight, a sign of the filtering, pasteurization, filtering, filtering, pasteurization, some crazy method for filtering that I've never heard of and pasteurization. But its a red-purple color.

It starts off smelling a lot like a typical adjuncted lager, and ends up smelling pretty much the same. No rich bock fruitiness, but lots and lots of grain and corn meal. Notions of caramel scented additives are here, but in moderation.

Sweet. Ok, Bocks are often sweet. But Bocks never have such artificial flavors in them. The stuff is mainly maize grits, popcorn kernels, grape drink underattenuation and soda syrup.

The typical Anheuser water thickness with pins and needles carbonation. It numbs the tongue, but I think that's what ends up making this stuff drinkable.

The last time I've had this stuff was from the very bottom of a keg at a bar back home in Wheeling. That glass was proof that they use some sort of artificial flavoring or coloring here. That glass tasted like pure caramel flavored soda syrup. As if it had all settled to the bottom of the keg over the month or so it took them to sell it all. It was horrible. This stuff is a safer bet in the bottle, but a much, much worse value. Don't buy it, its mocking the craft beer world. Its fitting that the rest of the BA community finds it suitable for a C though.

1.38/5  rDev -51.9%

I chose a pseudo-craft beer as my 100th review. One of our duties as reviewers is to warn the unsuspecting, so here goes. I sampled this horrible brew at The Tiki Bar, an outdoor grill on the beach on Marco Island. Michelob was test-marketing Amber Bock in several states and it was my misfortune for having vacationed in Florida at this time. It was a sunny and balmy afternoon. Bikini clad beauties were bouncing around, showing off what they had developed over the winter (quite a distraction from my relaxed reading and quite the chore of appearing disinterested with my girlfriend's harsh glare beating down upon the back of my neck). The smell of grilled shrimp and burgers wafted over me, exciting my remaining senses. I wandered over to the Tiki and noticed, with curious interest, Michelob Amber Bock on tap. Hmmm! How bad could it be? Well, despite my most excellent surroundings and laissez-faire attitude, the answer, to be kind is disgusting! Flat dark tan in color and rapidly vanishing off-white head. Sweet sugary malt and soaked corncob aroma. The pasty-mealy malt is difficult to swallow. This bland, sweet tasting, lightly hopped beer is in keeping with the A-B tradition of marketing over quality brewing techniques. Again A-B had the opportunity to enter the craft brew market by brewing a really fine bock beer. They chose instead, the road of mass-produced-type swill and major advertising campaigns. Argh! In case you’re still interested, the rest of my vacation went very well despite A-B’s attempt to ruin it.

1.43/5  rDev -50.2%

from the bottle.poured a amber with a light tan head. aroma sweet malts, corn barley, wheat sourness. flavor, malts, wheat , corn, hops, malts, none of them good, I guess if you didd not know any better you would think this is a good beer. the only thing I liked about this beer was the color.

1.46/5  rDev -49.1%

a - dark amber - maple syrup in color. Frothy two finger caramel head with small, even bubbles.

s - has that lightly sweet/sour light beer smell. Barely there.

t - Copper flavored water (bleh) with a distinct fake-malt aftertaste.

m - all the body and mouthfeel of a glass of water

d - I don't want more than the first half but I'll finish it rather than pour it out. Superbly underwhelming. It's as though they added coloring and copper to a standard light beer.

I didn't pick this up to hate it. I had some hope that perhaps the Michelob series had SOME promise. So far they have been terrible.

1.5/5  rDev -47.7%

Tried this at a bar. Never heard of it before, but decided to give it a try, since the place didn't have the PBR my cheap ass asked for.

A: Low rating is mostly the bar's fault. I hope. They poured the thing with no head. Fail. The color was dark amber, but clear. I don't like being able to straight-up see through a beer. Not very impressive, but not terrible.

S: Almost nothing. A little sweeter than the average adjunct lager, but nothing that could really be picked out.

T: Watery as hell. Most of what I could taste was generic macro "beer" grossness, but watered down to be slightly less gross. there was a bit of alcohol, and a bit of malt. Not a lot of hops. I'll give it .5 higher than "awful" because it's not as bad as a few other beers I've tried. But it's awfully close. It's not exceptionally disgusting, like, say, Olde English. But it's just flavorless. I tried in vain to pick up any sort of flavor at all in this, but at the end of the day, I was just glad it was watered down enough to hide what little flavor I could pick up. I have friends' whose first cracks at homebrewing have tasted better than this.

M/D: Like water, but not refreshing. And it doesn't even taste good. I will never order this again.

I felt slightly ripped off paying a buck fifty for this. Truly awful attempt at beer. I am generally not one to straight-up trash a beer, but this might be among the worst I've ever tried.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Amber color, I suppose...not surprised. Has little to no head. The aroma leaves you very dissapointed. Basically just malt. The taste is bubbly and just a bit malty but nothing more and there is no complexity. There is nothing interesting to me about this beer. I leave it at that.

1.5/5  rDev -47.7%

It kind of looks like a beer and it kind of smells like a beer, but it tastes like Michelob with caramel coloring added. I guess that is what makes it go down so smooth <sarcasm>

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Michelob amber bock back at the hotel. I was going to get a shiner bock but they were out. She asked if I wanted an amber bock instead. Not knowing what it was I just said sure. What she brought back was this.

Amber brown. Virtually zero head. No lace either. Clear. Smell is of iodine. Foul smelling. Taste is brakish. Like a macro with some malt powder in it. A malted macro. Body is thin. Highly carbonated. I wanted to give this one a shot but it just plain sucks. Nothing bocklike about this.

1.52/5  rDev -47%

I ordered this particular beer at a local bar with some nervous anticipation. I'm always a little nervous when it comes to the big brand names. To its credit, in the glass it had an absolutely wonderful color to it. Almost too wonderful, really, like some color might have been added. Not that I was thinking about that before the first sip...

Which went in badly, and left an aftertaste not unlike medical waste products. I don't hesitate to label this one of my all time most hated beers. Avoid it like the plague.

1.56/5  rDev -45.6%

This beer I had once before and I was like "not too bad nothing i'm after though.' I tried it now a year later and I must say after a few sips it tasted like crap to me. It smells kinda sour and bitter not too good really. The taste is awful. It's sorta malty then just dark brown sludgy tasting. I did not like this. I was shocked because I thought it was supposed to be so darn good. The mouthfeel was sludgy I thought. The drinkability was low because it was just not an appealing beer at all tastewise and then the carbonation was so much I was burping up for about 10 minutes.

1.58/5  rDev -44.9%

Dark clear ruby red beat sugar flavor and no head even though carbonation was OK. I could not finish this beet sugar water...could be because I had left Pizza Port and all their good brews and went to a crappy bar that had only this. If I could give a negative score on flavor I would. I feel bad about such a bad review but this beer is terrible. I may try it again in the bottle and then re rate

1.63/5  rDev -43.2%

On tap at Wallaby’s in the fabulous Green Bay, WI.

Pours like water with added caramel dye. No head. Minimal carbonation.

No aroma.

Tastes like water with sweetening syrup.

Mouthfeel is similar to water with a little maple syrup in it.

Drinkable as city tap water from an old pipe.

1.68/5  rDev -41.5%

[$3 for a pint at Uncle Pete's in Revere]

Wow, it had been a while since I had had a bad beer. I actually was looking forward to finally trying this, but it sucked.

Looks like soda, except the head stayed up for a few seconds longer. Still, it was a brownish amber with big bubbles, no lacing, and little retention. Smelled like...wort! What the hell? Is this a non-alcoholic? Also a vague toasted graininess in the nose. The flavor was strange as well - plasticized caramel flavoring trying to meld with a decent barley component. Sweet, again my mind cannot shake the whole soda idea. Is this Malta Goya or what? Thin and, well, yech....

1.7/5  rDev -40.8%

I haven't tried Anheuser-Bush product in 12 - 13 years, but had to drink this one in my friend's house. The beer reminded me of a fruit soda with alcohol. Also, it is very annoying when they put a name on the beer that has nothing to do with an actual beer style

1.73/5  rDev -39.7%

I'm not partial to American mass market beers (although I am an American consumer). Disclosure: I did not even drink beer until I lived in Canada for a while--couldn't stand American beer. Now that I'm back I'm picky.

This tastes like the typical US fare--it's Michelob. It could easily be Bud, Miller, etc. but a slightly deeper lager (because it's a Bock).

1.77/5  rDev -38.3%

wolf in a sheeps clothing this beer is. a wonderful color that is brought about by caramel food coloring. after the first sip, the whole experience goes downhill. i dont know how they can try to trick people into thinking that they are really drinking a bock beer. they should be ashamed

1.81/5  rDev -36.9%

12 oz bottle with a twist-off cap. Born on: 10/23/06 Consumed on 2/17/07

AP: Comes out a rootbeer color with orange hues, very bubbly and carbonated which created a 1/2" deep, bubbly and thin white head. Dissipated very quickly to a thin scattered cap.

Aroma: Malt liquor-like scent over a slightly sweet, brown sugar and wheat. Minimal scent overall.

Flavor: A watery and thin but slightly sweet malted flavor dominates with very little complexity in the flavor. There is a malt-liquor and leafy hop sweet aftrtaste.

MF:Medium body, that feels light and crisp but very thin.

DA: Just thought I would give it a shot, and it only cost me $1.05 for the bottle.

1.83/5  rDev -36.2%

I know that this is among the better poor quality American macro brews out there but yuck! Somebody left it here so I thought it was time to do a review of something I would never buy.

The beer itself is crystal clear (of course) but the color is a strange muddy reddish-brown (not ugly just a bit unnatural), head is thin and white. Bubbles are actually quite tiny but very few.

Aroma a very light sour dough, grain husk tannin and alcohol that's about it.

Taste is not horrifying, but not good. Very light sour and almost metallic notes (i think I'm tasting the co2). A nasty cheap sugar (corn?) quality and very minute twinge of acetic acid.

Very light in body, yet sickeningly bloating (how do they do that?). You could say it is drinkable but why? I happen to have working plumbing in my house so I was able to pour the remainder of this beer down the drain. I certainly couldn't, wouldn't and didn't drink a whole one. I'm not surprised but still somehow disappointed by this beer.

Note: Why is this beer classified under the Bock style? Just because it says bock doesn't make it so. Not much here, but just enough to dislike.

1.84/5  rDev -35.9%

Have the stuff all the time , due too my mom loving it and only beening able to drink one of them.

Appearance is so bad , its about the best thing they got going for this beer , darkish amber color with a goot about of creamy head.

Smell is kinda spicy but not in a goot way. Standard amount of hops mixed with carmel.

Taste is so watered down , you can barley tell that this is a bock, more like a mock!!! o0-o00

Mouthfeel is over carbonated then normal and isnt too plesant.

Drinkability is awful! thats right same as its rated , you can drink 4 and start falling asleep, they seem to put SMG in this as well. Id rather have a bud!

1.84/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a clear dark caramel color with absolutely no head (?). The smell contains maybe a hint of light malt with a skunk being dominant. Fortunately doesn't taste as bad as it smells. Quite bland with faint notes of earthy grain and lightly hopped (almost none) and plenty of carb bite. Very plain for such a fancy label. Very light bodied and finishes very crisp and clean. Fairly drinkable if you don't smell first. AB is so scared they are going to put flavor in something. When I get through this fancy variety pack of bland beer...no more AB for me! Cheers!

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch