Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
2.21/5  rDev -23%

The fact that this beer has a C blows my mind. Whether judging it as personal taste or based on it's claims of being a bock it's a complete failure. There's basically no taste whatsoever. No aroma really, not even sniffed from the bottle. I understand the whole attempt by macros to capitalize on the craft scene, butif you're going to attempt to make a bock you may want there to be some trace of maltiness to the beer. Sure, the flavor isn't offensive (other than intellectually, that is), it doesn't taste like, say.. rotting milk. But "not rotting milk-like" should not be the standard by which we judge "average". If it lacks flavor, then it's bad. To further highlight it's shortcomings, my girlfriend was drinking a red stripe (yes these were the two most-decent offerings at this venue) and I discovered that it is, in fact, MORE malty and bock-like than Michelob's offering. Terrible.

3.09/5  rDev +7.7%

poured a dark amber (of course) with a healthy head that settles...quickly. no lacing.

nutty malty nose promises something. some honey and wheatiness.

not my favorite style, but this is nice, a choclatey sense, a little too much honey makes this a tad too sweet. really could use a hop balance. might have to pour a shot of IPA in it...still, refreshing and i'd like this with spicey food or something barbeque'd

rich, almost thick sense is nice. carbonation is just right. not a hard thing to do...very drinkable, especially if paired with food.

actually would be decent if at a party and no other options but this and bud...in Autumn.

sorry, but A-B needs to just stick with what it is. a MACRObrewery. nice attempt. your Pale Ale is the better, less offensive brew. all of these in the Michelob line are decent, but easily missed. many others can take your place.

stay in the major leagues. the mino leagues are where the most interesting batters and pitchers are (pun intended)

3.1/5  rDev +8%

Pours amber of course with brown and a fluffy white head. Actually made a nice head and had decent retention.

Aroma is quite nice. Mostly consisted of fruity malts and caramel. Reminded me of ale esters but it's clean.

Taste is like honey wheat toast and hints of dark fruits again.

Light body and really lacking in this department compared to other bocks.

Overall not terrible for the evil empire. At least they make all malt beers now.

3.38/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap, served in a large mug glass.

A: The beer is a medium brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of lager yeast, caramel, some chocolate and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty and bready but not very sweet with flavors of caramel, chocolate and lager yeast. The hops presence is mild but complementary. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, if you're in the mood for this type of beer it's worth drinking for a while but overall it's just another mediocre beer.

2.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Dark brown color but still semi-transparent. But it had no head at all.

Smell: Fairly strong aroma with lots of hops.

Taste: Initially smooth with a very bitter aftertaste. But not in a bad way.

Mouthfeel: A pretty light texture. More texture than water, but not as thick as the appearance would suggest.

Drinkability: It started off pretty good, but about halfway through it really lost something. It was not god-awful, but it is not something I could drink on a regular basis.

3.05/5  rDev +6.3%

this brew pours up a clear brown color with a thin white head. great lacing. the nose is crisp hops and clean malts, subtle dark fruits, a hint of caramel. the taste is very clean. bitter hops, faint malts. light bodied, medium carbo. This a good poolside beer.

2.84/5  rDev -1%

Back before I was a craft beer drinker, this was my favorite. I had one for the first time in at least 5 years lat night and man, was I disappointed. With the dark color I was hopeful especially as I recalled how much I liked it. But a weak aroma and weak taste reminded me that this was another macrobrew. Sure, its got more flavor than a macro lager, but not much. Slightly sweet, light bodied with a bit of a almond flavor.

2.82/5  rDev -1.7%

poured into pint glass, bottle at cellar temp. pours a dark amber, maghony color. nice off white head with decent retention. just a touch of lacing.

very weak aroma for a bock. definately smells like a macro lager. all you get is that lager smell with maybe just a hint of some sweet malts and a slightly nutty smell.

pretty weak on the taste, maybe slightly better than the aroma. again, pretty much tastes like a macro with maybe a little bit of sweetness. nothing like a bock should be.

somewhat of a creamy mouthfeel. medium to light body. fizzy carbonation. leaves kind of a chalky mouthfeel in the finish. not too bad in this department, but a bock should be a little heavier body. at least in my opinion.

despite all the low scores, its definately a very easy drinking beer for what it is, which isnt a bock. more like a light amber lager, ha, i just made up a new style. would never buy this again, but if it was given to me, it wouldnt go to waste. dont buy this.

3.06/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle into clear glass

Appearance - Pours dark, small head which fizzles to almost absent. Very close to the coloring of coke or pepsi, just slightly more brown. Unimpressed with the head with almost no foam. ***Edit: Upon the second pouring the head had more body, still average but better. I have changed the grade by half a point as 2.5 seems unfair.***

Smell - very weak aroma, and what I do smell is skunky. Smells of day old beer. Not looking forward to drinking this at this point.

Taste and Mouthfeel - at this point, I am pleasantly surprised. The flavor is not as bad as I would have predicted from the awful appearance and boring smell. Taste is okay, mouthfeel is actually very good, just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - I will certainly finish this 6 pack. It was not so disappointing that I can't finish 6 bottles. Michelob needs to work on the head of this beer, it just doesn't look like good beer at all. One plus is the price, quite cheap.

3.48/5  rDev +21.3%

Michelob Amber Bock
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: Bock
ABV: 5.20 %
166 cals p12os

There was no photo so I got to upload this one, it's my first photo on BA!

Reviewed as a bock, ~11/8/09 @ home, bottle>mug

A 3.0 -Dark malty brown, good 2 finger head, short head retention with little to no collar
S 2.5 - mild toasty-ness, somewhat mild on the smell
T 4.0 - Good & matly - roasty/caramel notes, semi sweet and roasty malts, dig it for a cold day.
MF 3.0 - creamy texture on palate, medium body, watery finish
D 4.0 - I dig this stuff. I used to drink it a lot before I was into craft brews, and it's still good like I remember. I rarely drink it out of a bottle, it's usually a draft selection during Florida "winter".

2.81/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bought a sixer of this on a whim, as I was feeling saucy one afternoon. Or, as saucy as Walgreen's selection would allow me to feel.

Poured into a pilsener glass, but really, what was the point? The initial pour produced a sudsy, two finger head that dissipated to nothing in a matter of seconds. No film, no lacing, no thanks. Aside from that, the color is a healthy amber typical to the bock style.

Unfortunately, the color is the only thing bock-related about this beer. Imagine someone half-assing a Bud Light into a porter. Got it? That's what this smells like. Ho hum.

Mouthfeel is mdeium bodided, and consists of ever-so-faint caramel malts, hints of burnt toffee, day old Bud Light, and a hop presence that doesn't have the balls to make itself known, except behind the malt's back. Nothing really bock like about the beer, but it should be noted that what positive qualities the beer has present themselves as it warms.

Bock or not, this is completely quaffable, and, barring the horrible farts you're bound to experience as the day wears one, will definitely serve in a pinch. One of Anheuser-Busch's better products, but does that really count for anything?

A: A clear dark amber, as its name implies, with faint mahogany red when when held up to the light. Head is tall and off-white but dissipates quickly.

S: Dominated by the sweet scent of caramel malt with a hint of hops.

T: Very malty with hints of burnt coffee. Sweet, but only slightly. Aftertaste is toasty and bitter. Not quite what I'd associate with the style.

M: Solid, but feels a little flat. And for a bock, it's too light.

D: Drinks easily, but seems like a heavier adjunct light beer after a while.

3.38/5  rDev +17.8%

A: A clear, medium reddish-brown with a fairly tall, foamy light tan head. Retention is solid, with some decent lacing.

S: Some mild caramel malt up front, a bit toasty as well. Some earthy hop aroma. A somewhat metallic/seltzery twang.

T: A moderately sweet, toasty caramel malt presence initially. Pleasant, although subdued. Some leafy and earthy hop flavor is available, with mild but noticeable bitterness.

M: Medium-light body. Carbonation is pretty lively, leading into a rather dry, astringent finish.

D: This takes me back to Yorkside in New Haven, CT. If you wanted something to drink that wasn't horrible, it was either this or Sam Adams. This was a little cheaper than SA, so this was the choice more than a few times. Middle of the road, but easily drinkable and somewhat true to the style.

1.91/5  rDev -33.4%

I like a lot of Michelob's offerings but this one... no dice. I think the combination of me not liking Bock's to begin with and a mass produced version of one just did not mesh well. Pours a dark brown color, not much in terms of smell. Very watery mouthfeel to it and no body once soever. Taste is all malts, and not very tasty ones at that. I guess I just don't understand this style and can't fathom how anyone can find this to taste 'good'. Was able to finish the glass but not very enjoyable... I'll pass on this in the future.

2.94/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Body is very dark with a large off-white head with good retention and some lacing.

S: Very faint sweetness with some hops.

T: Nice amount of hops beneath lots of sweet malt with toffee and carame.

Overall: Standard mouthfeel as well as drinkability. I suppose it's one of Michelob.

3.25/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance- Clear, deep amber-brown with minimal white head and minimal lacing.

Smell- Slight steeliness, some noticeable malt presence, virtually no hops.

Taste- Fairly sweet, pretty clean on the palate. Slightly buttery, vague hop-balance. Dry finish.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium mouthfeel, again very clean, creamier than i'd expected.

Drinkability- Overall, being that I'm not a huge bock or michelob fan, I was surprised to find this a fairly drinkable, brew.

3.33/5  rDev +16%

This is a hard one to review, since it is not what I think of when I think of a bock style beer.

The color is right for a bock. It has a nice head that very quickly disappears, but there is steady carbonation to the end. The taste is very mild; some malty sweetness that finishes pretty dry.

I had to give this high marks for drinkability, as there is simply nothing objectionable about it, and it can go down fast and easily.

In the end, I would drink it again, and I would serve it at a picnic or other function where non-craft enthusiasts would like a beer.

Footnote: I experienced some intestinal distress later in the evening. I was farting into the middle of the next day. This did not make me happy.

2.4/5  rDev -16.4%

My son loves this beer, he can have it. It's very dark and it tasted ok when it first went down but shortly there after I did not like the taste at all. I am not saying it's a bad beer, but not one that I like. Never say never, but I doubt I'd ever buy it again.

2.41/5  rDev -16%

Poor appearance. Watered down and light in color, disappointing head and carbonation.

Smells like bitter feet. Yuk!

This beer tastes like a combination of corn, dried fig, and malted hops. Not an impressive taste, but get rid of the corn taste and you have yourself a more enjoyable beer for the spring.

Finishes far better than it begins, with a rounded barley . Has a warming personality and attempts to be higher quality than it is. But the mouthfeel and drinkability are above average, but by no means great.

This beer is a fucking bock? With a meager 5.2%, this beer does not deserve to be called a bock. Spend your money elsewhere. The Michelob line once again proves its incapacity to produce tasty beers.

1.97/5  rDev -31.4%

The beer poured exactly like a Coke. The head fizzled down just as fast. Looking at the freshly poured glass, I thought it was watered down Coke. The smell was very faint but just like the white frosting on a Honey Bun. It was malty sweet, like crushed nuts in water with an artificial sweetner added. It felt like tingly, acidic, carbonated water in my mouth.

I've had a few of these over the years, but now that I'm thinking seriously about the brew, I realize that it would be easy to drink many of these because it's weak, but it's like a bottle of bad aftertaste.

2.27/5  rDev -20.9%

Bought a six pack of these since they were cheap and I was curious. Color was dark brown with only a slight head. The aroma was surprising bland and reminded me of a cheap light beer, like Bud Light. There was a slight nuttiness to the scent, but nothing too strong. The taste was also dissappointing, as it reminded me of a slightly nutty, sweet version of a macrobrew. I truly expected more from this beer, as a bock. The mouthfeel was fine, as it was only there to keep the beer drinkable. I had about five of these in one sitting, so they are drinkable, however I cannot say that I enjoyed any of them.
Overall, I felt this was a truly dissappointing beer from a brewer I hoped was trying to make affordable craft beer. My honest advice is to skip this, even if its cheap.

2.88/5  rDev +0.3%

This is a pretty generic Bock. It's drinkable and relatively cheap. That's about all I can say for it.

Appearance: Light tan head that quickly evaporates. Very clear amber red color.

Smell: malt, a slight hint of roasted malt, maybe a little cheap corn smell as well.

Taste: Not much to say, it doesn't really taste like a Bock, rather it has this generic quality that is shared by a lot of low-end non-descript "dark" or "amber" type beers: slightly sweet, sharp carbonation, generic hop bite, a touch of corn sweetness and a bland dryness at the end. It doesn't mean it's terrible or undrinkable, it just means it's very far from great.

Mouthfeel: Average. Just OK. Maybe a little too much carbonation.

Drinkability: Average. Just OK.

1.46/5  rDev -49.1%

a - dark amber - maple syrup in color. Frothy two finger caramel head with small, even bubbles.

s - has that lightly sweet/sour light beer smell. Barely there.

t - Copper flavored water (bleh) with a distinct fake-malt aftertaste.

m - all the body and mouthfeel of a glass of water

d - I don't want more than the first half but I'll finish it rather than pour it out. Superbly underwhelming. It's as though they added coloring and copper to a standard light beer.

I didn't pick this up to hate it. I had some hope that perhaps the Michelob series had SOME promise. So far they have been terrible.

2.82/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It was cheap. Sue me.

Appearance - Light brown. Almost coke colored with virtually zero head. Looks like a glass of iced tea.

Smell - Sort of like a Miller Lite with some malty nuttiness. It smells like a regular macro with a hint of something else.

Taste - It starts off with a little malty caramel sweetness. It seems nice. But the follow is pure macro. It's got that weak, watery hay quality to it. Not much going on. Zero depth.

Mouthfeel - Very watery. No body to speak of. Sort of refreshing, like a glass of water on a hot day.

Drinkability - Pretty decent. It's a little better than a regular macro. And it's not too sweet or anything. I'd have a couple, but wouldn't really remember anything about it. It's drinkable. But in a world with good beer, why?

I mean, what did I expect? It's totally and absolutely average. But certainly nothing special. Or particularly worthwhile.

2.87/5  rDev 0%

Server brought me a pint at a bar.

The pint had an intermediate brownish color that was neither too dark nor too light. The beer poured from tap had no definitive head on it.

The beer had a roasted, nutty aroma that seemed appealing, however hints of copper came through.

The taste provided a roasted malt that actually didn't taste bad. It was nice to have a darker macrobrew. Metallic after tastes lingered pallate.

Mouthfeel was average for a macrobrew. Heavy carbonation, a light feeling.

This beer supports decent drinkability. This darker brew has the same feeling as a regular michelob.

Final Thoughts - I can't complain on this one when all is said and done. I paid $1 for a pint so my views might be slightly skewed on this one. In the end, this macrobrew provides us with a darker brew that can be surpisingly affordable depending on where you find it.

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch