Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev +8%

As described before this is a pretty good 'stepping stone' if all your used to us American macros and want to broaden your horizon. I think this may have been where I started; this is a pretty full body taste with a hazelnut kind of flavor. Give one a try but this really isn't something I would buy frequently as once you get used to a good Stout, this becomes kinda bland, but still not bad if its around.

3.92/5  rDev +36.6%

It's appearance is a very dark Lager. It's head goes away pretty quickly. It is very easy to drink and smooth. Taste, very nutty with a hint of caramel. I tried for the first time at a Dodger game, it was this or Bud Light. I tried it again by bottle, it's not that bad, probably my favorite Domestic beer.

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Brown body with off-white head.

The smell is just a weak caramel malt.

The taste is pretty basic. It is a slightly malty michelob. Just a hint of caramel malt followed by the corn-esque taste. Fairly crisp and smooth mouthfeel, really highly carbonated for a bock.

Not bad drinkability, I prefer to a normal Michelob for sure.

This beer is like the little brother of the bock style. It's almost there, but not quite.

3.07/5  rDev +7%

Pours a very fizzy brown color. The beer is very highly carbonated, but it only creates a small think white head that dissipates very quickly.
Smell is of a very faint roasted caramel malt.
Taste is very ordinary on this beer. Faint tastes of roasted malts slightly sweetened by some caramel malts.
Mouthfeel is okay. I personally think it is too thin for a bock. Highly carbonated too, kind of harsh on the tongue.
The drinkability is only above-average because of the lack of punch to it. The beer is overall tasteless and nothing exciting to it at all. Not recommended.

2.6/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I must say that this one was not a complete failure, a very decent stab at the style.

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark ruby red brown color with a tiny tan color head, quickly dissipated. This was truly a watered down version of an amber bock.

S- Smell was malts of all shapes and sizes, but nothing over the top or overly enticing to the nose.

T- Found this to be boring. Slightly caramel-like with some fruit notes. Roasted malts. Nothin much else doing here. Drinkable at least.

M- Thin and watery. Body lacked here.

D- I would drink this at the bar if it was the only thing offered. Another gateway beer for some people.

3.47/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I actually like this one better than most macro stuff. Its my go to macro.

Pours out a pretty dark color with a fairly good sized head.

Sweet malts all the way in the aroma on this one. Smells pretty good.

Sweet malts accented by a touch of hops but this one is all about those roasted malts.

A good intro to craft, I think.

2.68/5  rDev -6.6%

This is a good macro...out of all the other selections at the bar, I usually go with Amberbock because it is the same price as all the others. It is a little darker (but not fuller) and in my opinion tastes better than any other Busch product and is easier to drink

3.03/5  rDev +5.6%

Looked brown int the bottle but when poured and held up to light the brown is more of an amber orange. Pours with a moderate foramy white head that has average head. Not a bad looking beer.
Slightly roasted/sweet malts detected along with a tinge of bitteness hops. They are there but just barely.
Very little body for a dark beer, but the malts do show up in the mouthfeel. Local Kroger sells it for $6.49 a six pack(geez $25.96/case). At that price the price value just isn't there (at least for me).

2.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Medium to dark brown with faint ruby highlights; nice color, but little head to speak of, to begin or in retention. Faint and lightly toasted caramel malt on the nose, not much else. The taste isn't bad, and it isn't for lack of attraction that it doesn't get a slightly higher score, but the lack of complexity. This would do very well with a lot more malt, more chocolate especially. There's potential, but it's quite unrealized.

Not as bad as I thought it would be, and an OK macro. But for Bock, this is pretty plain, not a big shock. Decent drinker, not one to come running back in a hurry for.

3.2/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured a medium brown color with about a finger of thin off white head. I had this brew at a local barbecue joint and they poured it into a frosted mug. A little bit of lacing, but mostly a quickly dissipating head.

Smells like malts and sugar with hints of caramel. Nothing is overpowering in the scent. The caramel smell becomes stronger as the brew warms.

Taste is pretty good. It's smooth enough, but the finish is a little too thin. Malty and sweet with not a hint of hop character.

Mouth feel is pretty good. Light body, medium carbonation.

Pretty easy to drink brew. I had a couple with my barbecue brisket and they went down easily.

2.82/5  rDev -1.7%

pours a crystal clear brown with a white head that quickly fades to a small amount of lace. not a bad amount of malty aroma, kind of a nice surprise from the people at anheuser-bush. the extra effort seems to have tapered off there though, the taste lacks the malty backgound that I would have liked, and has a sharpness that I don't think compliments this particular lager. The mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side, with more than ample carbonation... step away from the rice, seriously dude.

2.52/5  rDev -12.2%

I bought a 12 of this and this is the last one. I remember having it on draft a while ago and it wasn't bad. This bottled batch is about a month old and it seems well made but short on flavor and a little light on body for me.The fizz is good and the lacing is respectable, and it's pretty to look at, but I keep waiting for more flavor.

AB must be doing its research on what it's customers like, but this one falls short. It makes me want a double bock. I don't think I'll buy more soon.

2.95/5  rDev +2.8%

appearance: brownish amber, with hints of red in there. decent carbonation, lacks head and or lacing

smell: really not much to it, maybe a little boozy

taste: again slightly boozy, light and toasty, basically makes me think macro lager except with a bit of toasty bitterness that sits on the pallet on the finish. Maybe a hint of hops in there but barely perceivable.

mouthfeel: very light, close to watery, rather fizzy, refreshing, light astringence from the toasted grain

drinkability: I suppose it's drinkable but I tend to personally prefer more flavor. I only find the toastiness slightly offensive.

2.82/5  rDev -1.7%

A: This beer looked like an Amber Bock, pretty plain and simple. I was a bit surprised by the whiter than expected head that was about one finger thick.

S: After smelling this beer I almost didn't want to drink it. It smelled just like drinking a Bud which is probably welcoming to some drinkers but was a bit off putting for me especially considering the style.

T: I have to say this beer wasn't as bad as I was expecting based on the smell. It was a bit bland. But it was drinkable and it was a nice compliment to a lamb curry dish.

M: It felt like a thinner than average bock. Nothing more, nothing less.

D: The drinkability was good even if the beer left some things to be desired.

Notes: I have to say that I will probably buy this beer again under the right circumstances. I was cheap ($5.99 a 6) it wasn't offensive and for a party or a cookout it would work. It also stuck me as being a possible gateway beer. Overall, a reasonable attempt by one of the BIG THREE and I have to say I'm looking forward to some other attempts from Michelob.

1.9/5  rDev -33.8%

Served on-tap in a pint glass.

The beer had a clear brownish amber color to it with nothing but a light white film of a head when it got to the table. The aroma was non-existent, maybe a very light malt aroma, but overall, not much there. The taste was very thin and watery. Some of the malt came out but it left a very bitter and not enjoyable after taste, so much that I could not finish the entire glass.

Overall, I am not impressed with this offering by AB and I most likely would not order it again and certainly would not purchase it.

1.93/5  rDev -32.8%

This is definately one of the better beers from Anheuser Bush. The appearance has some character with an amber color and a weak white head. The nose had a lone malt component. The taste was of mild malts and slightly sweet. Light body and big carbonation bubbles. Not bad.

3.28/5  rDev +14.3%

12 oz. bottle at Coco's on Gothard and Edinger in Huntington Beach, CA,

A: Pours a dark amber, almost brown, clear, with a small white head, limited lacing.

S: Light amounts of malt, caramel, sweet sugar.

T: Tastes mostly of caramel malt, very sweet, 1-dimensional. Good, but I though the taste started to thin out as I drank it.

M: Too much on the light side for a bock beer, watery.

D: Not bad at all, didn't expect a lot from AB, but this is pretty good, would have again.

1.88/5  rDev -34.5%

This beer is an afront to Amber Bocks. It pours translucent brown with a small but noticeable head. But it is all down hill from there. It has a slight aroma of dark malt that carries through to the foretaste. But after that the beer has nothing. It crosses the tongue and changes to mere water. Worse, there is an ever so slight funky bitterness on the finish - not a skunked, bad bottle bitterness. This is clearly intentional. But it is bad. The mouthfeel is watery and sad. Whatever meager virtues that regular Michelob may have seem to have completely escaped the brewers on this misbegotten effort.

3.3/5  rDev +15%

Brownish amber colored beer with no real distinguishing aroma.Taste is a light toasty caramel with a warm finish.This is probably a beer that both macro and micro drinkers can agree on.I would recommend to try and for myself I would buy again.Slightly better than average!!

2.71/5  rDev -5.6%

Consumed 04/26/08.

Appearance is difficult to discern as it was served at a festival in an opaque plastic cup. It did, however, have an extraordinarily long lived fine white foamy head that lasted to the bottom of the cup. This was in fact annoying, as I got foam with every sip. Some people may enjoy this, but I do not.

The aroma is of soft, indistinct grain.

Flavor is primary soft, sweet malt. No bitterness or hop character. A little watery, light bodied and weak. No flaws, however.

Drinkability negatively impacted by the timid flavor, lack of complexity and thick foam.

2.92/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint.

Thin head that dissipates quickly leaving no lace. Iced tea color, perfectly clear with no cloud.

Nose is light caramel malt with honey and biscuity, bready yeast. Light on the aroma, not very impressive. Adjunct corn comes through with a cloying sweetness.

Taste is crisp and malty with a little toasted caramel malt and slight, ever so slight hop flavor. Caramel vanilla water, best way to describe. No hop flavor. Light like a "light" ale.

Mouthfeel is watery, thin and has no body. Bubbly artificial carbonation is harsh and not welcoming on the tongue.

Drinkability is excellent if you can get past the taste. Very light bodied and sits well.

Won't look for this one, but I wouldn't refuse it either.

2.24/5  rDev -22%

I remembered this beer being one of my favorites prior to my full introduction into the craft beer world, so I actually came into this ready to evaluate this as I would any beer, and with at least decent expectations. Poured into a Michelob pilsner glass, it looks pretty good. About the color you would expect from a bock, with a pretty decent head. I go to smell it...practically nothing. Even with my nose almost in the beer, I only get faint whiffs of what I can only describe as a macro "beery" smell. I take a sip...nothing. How can a bock be so flavorless??? I only get VERY faint hints of toasted malt grain with a VERY slight touch of simple bitterness. That is it. The only reason this isn't rated lower for smell and taste is because it isn't offensive on either, just...well not there. The box said something about how the Brewmasters believe that I will never get such a flavorful beer that is so easy to drink. Bullshit. Mouthfeel...not bad, just overcarbonated, but the amount of body is on par with the style. Goes down easy, but not overly drinkable because of the extremely bland taste. This will be my last encounter with this beer.

3.09/5  rDev +7.7%

Got a pint of this while I was out on a business trip.

A: Pours a dark amber body with an amber body with a half-inch white head with excellent retention and lacing. Fairly impressive.

S: A slightly malty smell, but nothing too evident.

T: A light, malt taste with an alcoholic aftertaste. Switches up later on in the beer and the malts become to come out and sweeten while the alcohol recedes. By the end of the beer, there was hints of vanilla in the aftertaste.

M: A little thin and watery, Nothing too impressive.

D: Ok drinkability overall. Taste could have been a little bit better and the mouthfeel could have been a little thicker. Did pretty well to fill you up like a bock, however. Overall, decent, but nothing too impressive.

2.6/5  rDev -9.4%

I kinda got stuck with an amber bock this evening. I really hate having a really bad beer my default, I guess I'll never expect any good beer from that resteraunt. I used to drink this all of the time, but it's been years since my last try.
A: Poured into a frosted mug from a tap, displayed a nice copper color with absolutely no head.
S: nothing really just beer
T: I though this was a bock, I guess not.
M: way too carbonated, left me feeling bloated and uncomfortable.
D: really, I didn't even finish the one I was served, what good is happy hour with crappy beer.

3.36/5  rDev +17.1%

This is pretty much the same beer as regular Michelob with a few small differences.

Color is medium to dark brown, kind of like a Coke after the ice has melted. Sports a respectable head initially. Minimal retention, with light lace.

Couldn't distinguish much of a difference in smell compared to regular Michelob.

Has just a slight roasted malt sweetness up front; maybe a hint of caramel. Decent hop presence especially for an Anheuser-Busch product. Overall balance is good.

A little heavily carbonated, which is no surprise.

Since I like Michelob, I also like this one. However I grade according to style, and while this is a good drinkable lager, it's not a great bock.

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch