Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.

(Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
1.63/5  rDev -43%

On tap at Wallaby’s in the fabulous Green Bay, WI.

Pours like water with added caramel dye. No head. Minimal carbonation.

No aroma.

Tastes like water with sweetening syrup.

Mouthfeel is similar to water with a little maple syrup in it.

Drinkable as city tap water from an old pipe.

DaPeculierDane, Sep 19, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +18.2%

12 oz bottle with cool looking label.

The head looks off white that breaks up easily, a beautiful deep red with brown.

Malts are in there with a little toasted malts. Kinda disappointing after looking at it.

Sweet and bites from the carbonation. Some hops to kick it off and finishes with more sweetness. Good but not great. Very crispy and a medium body that just slides off my tongue.

If one is branching out to explore "new" beers I wouldn't recommend this one. It' s misleading because it isn't a real amber bock. But enjoyable non the less.

ghostmech007, Sep 13, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Overall not a bad beer from a Macro, but it doesn't match the style. This is basically a Bud with more roasted malt.
Pour looked good, medium amber with a medium body head.
Smell was malt and a bit of wheat. Some anise, I thought, was present.
Not much of a bock, more a light lager with dark features.

Mebuzzard, Sep 07, 2006
2.93/5  rDev +2.4%

I was relegated to drinking this at a football tailgate where the beer was provided by others. It was this or Bud light which unfortunately I actually tried again. This looks like a decent beer with very little nose other than some slight maltiness. The taste was o.k. and ambrosia compared to stump water bud light. It had as expected no mouthfeel as pracically no macros do. The drinkability is pretty good if you don't mind the aftertaste which is a little bitter and not in a good hoppy way.

veech, Sep 04, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -5.6%

I agree with "Deutschmann ( Sidney, Ohio )" on this one. This is my default beer to drink at a local bar that has no selection. When I walk in and see that all they have is watery lite/light beers I look for the darkest one. It has good flavor, but it's so thin that you forget you're drinking a beer. After a while the aftertaste begins to build up in your mouth and you wish you had some clorox to gargle.

So this beer isn't great, but it's better than drinking miller lite, bud light, or coors light all night.

Rudgers73, Aug 31, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +18.9%

Somewhere between an American Amber and a German Bock... so I guess the name is appropriate (though it's certainly not a bock).

A: Amber, very little head.

S: Malty (caramel, bread & nut).

T: Malty bread & nut, some caramel, mild grass/spicy hop flavour. Slightly sweet, but overall a good bittersweet balance.

M: Heavier than moderate body, a little syrupy, but velvety smooth; moderate carbonation.

D: Easily approachable, I find it a little syrupy.

Derek, Aug 12, 2006
2.93/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a pilsner, had a dark reddish colour with visible carbination and a practically non existant head (it was a quick pour and all i got was a slight ring) lacing was also minimal. The smell wasnt stong at all, but i was picking up sweet malts. The taste was sweet and enjoyable, with caramel being the most obvious flavour for me. I didnt really taste any hops at all though and i think i would have enjoyed just a little hop bitterness in the finish as i find the overall taste a little one dimensional. The mouthfeel in my opinion is the weakest characteristic. Like many said its light bodied and quite watery and in my opinion detracts from the taste a little.To its credit though, as the beer warmed the mouthfeel got creamier and a little more enjoyable. Overall though, even though the beer is a little plain and light, i did enjoy it and would drink a few if there was none of my favourites around

belias, Aug 09, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +17.1%

The first mistake Michelob made was to call this a bock, it really doesn't seem to fit into that style. However, I think a lot of folks will immediately dislike this beer just because it has the name Michelob on it. Despite all that, it's really not a bad beer for what it is. Pours a dark reddish amber color with a thin head that fades quickly. Aroma of soft malt, caramel. Fairly lively carbonation with a thin body, but for this particular beer, the carbonation fits nicely. A little on the sweeter side, but not cloyingly so. Very little hops presence to offset the sweet maltiness. An easy drinking beer and refreshing on a hot day without being too heavy.

LarryV, Jul 25, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +64.3%

This beer is farmost one of my most favored domestic beers in the United States. Since I am not a fan of light beers, this is a nice dark beer. It is not to dark, where it is hard to drink. The beer is very easy to drink and has a great taste. If I were to walk into a beer distributor 9 times out of 10 I would walk out with this beer. I recommend this beer to everyone, it is truely a great beer.

jrb1001, Jul 24, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a 16 oz. glass.

Produced a decent foamy head with a medium reddish brown color, and had a fair amount of carbonation.

Aroma was just a little sweetness behind the usual alchohol smell.

This tasted pretty much like Busch with a little sweetness to me. Not what I expected.

Pretty thin and watery with a little fizz.

Overall, not a bad AB product. Easy to drink and not too bad in the taste department. I wouldn't turn one down, and would even buy a case if I had to go to a picnic or something.

dansm, Jul 20, 2006
1.93/5  rDev -32.5%

Pours a big head that is super foamy and leaves a small amount of lacing. Color is brown to gold and very carbonated.

Smell is picy and a little fruity. Also a little clovey with some molasses. Smells sour and old. Smells almost like wine.

Taste is very light, I assume it tastes almost like it smells. It's a little sour, but I can find clove and molasses in there.

Mouthfeel is smooth and easy to drink except for the flavor.

Overall the scent is good, but I will never have this one again.

Erdinger2003, Jul 17, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours an average looking amber colour with a thin head that leaves nary a mark on the glass.

The aroma is first and foremost a sweet caramel burst with some general malt in the back to mellow it out a bit, but not enough. This one definitely smells overly sweet and...

...It also tastes overly sweet too. Again, caramel sweetness all around for this one with malt trailing behind. Hops are barely noticeable but are there. Mouthfeel is very thin. Too thin if you ask me.

This one needs some tweaking. The theme here is it is overly sweet and too thin. If these two things were fixed this would be a passable stab at the style. As it stands now, it's not.

SixpointJMH, Jun 20, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -3.8%

To what extent are reviewers influenced by past prejudice of a particular brand name or beer style. I wrote these words before pouring this beer. I also tried not to see the score or any other reviews. Too late, I saw a confirmation to my prejudice. I say this because I'm going to try to be open minded but am fearful that this is nearly impossible. Anyway, here goes....

Pours a clear but dark amber, closer to brown really. A good start to the head but it died quickly. The lace was too slippery to stick to the glass; I guess that means no lace.

Mild aroma of crystal malt, not as strong as I'd expect but otherwise exactly as I imagined.

Quite sweet but the body ruins this beer. It is way too thin to fit the bock profile. This reminds me of Michelob's entry into the dark beer world. No real flaws but no umph either.

smcolw, Jun 02, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +36.4%

It had a born on date of March 9.

I was in a dimly lit room, so I couldn't really tell the color. Dark brown was all I could see, couldn't pick up on the subleties. It had a quickly desolving head but left a decent lace. At first drink it had a very sweet taste, which lasted all the way through. Smooth beer overall. I ate it with a New York Strip, which complemented it nicely. I'd get this again.

Sosh, May 06, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured a reddish-brown with a head that quickly became a lacing. Odd thing - sometimes the lacing lasted longer than other pours (had three - each seemed different).
It had a sweet malty aroma.
The taste was sweet and watery. It reminded me of caramel sugar mixed with water. It is not typical of a bock. It really should be considered a black lager (schwarzbier maybe).
The sweetness lasted too long. It had a sticky mouthfeel. But, the water cut the sweetness to make it bearable.
If you are stuck in a dive where only lights and standard macros are, it might be the drink of choice. But, it's not worth going to buy.
There are too many other beers of about the same price that are much better. It's not horrible, but not anything near notable either.

jwc215, May 05, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -10.8%

beer pours light amber with a fizzy head that doesn't last long.

aroma is faint grain and alcohol.

taste is a hint of malt, a light touch of hops, and not much else, very little going on in the flavor department.

mouthfeel is thin.

drinkability is high as this beer is weak.

overall, this beer should not have the word Bock anywhere near it, it is a weak, watery, boring brew. i guess its better than Budweiser though, not much to say about this one, unimpressive.

evanackerman, May 03, 2006

Michelob Amber Bock
12 oz brown bottle
Born on date - March 10 2006
Served in a pilsner glass

Pours a light brown amber with a minimal white lace for a head. Small carbonation bubbles shoot to the top. Lacks signs of quality lacing.

Whiffs of light chocolate malts, rice and candy.

Sugary sweet corn flavors with some caramel malt sweetness.Pressured carbonation fizzy mouthfeel. Reminds me a of seltzer water or soda quality. The mouthfeel is way too thin for a bock. I'm looking for more a malt profile.

This is a dark lager more than anything. Similiar to Heineken Dark. A decent offering from Anheuser-Busch.

Hibernator, Apr 30, 2006
3.2/5  rDev +11.9%

Had this at a crap-tastic bar out of town, best beer in the joint. Into a pint glass, actually a fantastic pour, a thick and creamy head that lasted a good 5 minutes, slightly dark amber in color, and pretty good lacing. Served a little too cold, waited for it to warm to smell faint, mildly roasted malt. Crisp yet smooth and creamy mouth lead to a pretty weak but pleasant malt and hop bitter with a non-existant aftertaste. Like all other AB products it seems, meant to be drank, then forgotten. That said, this was one of my college go-to beers, cheap enough yet had enough taste.

objectivemonkey, Apr 20, 2006
3.43/5  rDev +19.9%

The color was an amber/red with a quickly dissipating head. The smell had a light malt aroma and was fairly mild. The taste was pretty good with a medium/light and crisp body and mild hops that wasn't too overpowering. The mouthfeel was average and crisp with medium/high carbonation. I felt that this was a pretty drinkable beer with a decent amount of body to keep me satisfied as well as a crisp refreshing taste. Good all-around beer.

jdmorgan, Apr 17, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +16.4%

very clear medium dark brown with a half-finger head that is a creamy light tan. a lightly toasty malt that lends a touch of earthiness to the nose. i taste the toasty malt and a quite spicy hop. mouthfeel is just a tad more substantial than your average macro cheap beer. overall i think this is a decent brew and a little unfairly discriminated against because of its close relation to macro-poop.

jdm, Apr 09, 2006
1.68/5  rDev -41.3%

[$3 for a pint at Uncle Pete's in Revere]

Wow, it had been a while since I had had a bad beer. I actually was looking forward to finally trying this, but it sucked.

Looks like soda, except the head stayed up for a few seconds longer. Still, it was a brownish amber with big bubbles, no lacing, and little retention. Smelled like...wort! What the hell? Is this a non-alcoholic? Also a vague toasted graininess in the nose. The flavor was strange as well - plasticized caramel flavoring trying to meld with a decent barley component. Sweet, again my mind cannot shake the whole soda idea. Is this Malta Goya or what? Thin and, well, yech....

waughbrew, Apr 08, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -5.6%

At a shit bar and what is there to drink. Hmm. A pitcher of Mick Amber Bock should do me well. To play pool and celebrate a little this beer isn't half bad. Amber, well not quite the color is a few SRM too dark, but who's counting in held a head for a while and laced the pitcher I was drinking from. Smelled of bland lager clean beer with a hint of roast and a distinct sweetness. The taste was underwhelming not really malty more like the memory of a good beer and the hops were pretty much non-exsistant. The mouthfeel was some what there but mostly not and the aftertaste is not really a desired thing. I had a pitcher and it was better than most light nasty on tap, but I think it is still close to avoid even though my rating might be higher.

Higravity, Apr 01, 2006
1.5/5  rDev -47.6%

Dark clear ruby red beat sugar flavor and no head even though carbonation was OK. I could not finish this beet sugar water...could be because I had left Pizza Port and all their good brews and went to a crappy bar that had only this. If I could give a negative score on flavor I would. I feel bad about such a bad review but this beer is terrible. I may try it again in the bottle and then re rate

chargerfanjess, Mar 31, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +39.2%

A surprisingly great beer from a brewing giant. I loved this beer. It could have been a little less punishing when guzzled, but hey it's a dark beer and we are not dealing with Coors Light here. I loved it!!!!

I think the beer is buitiful to look at, and is rather smooth. Pluse the bottle is a classic I know allot of Micalobe is served in this bottle. But the lable and beer fit perfectly

PH

ProfessorHops, Mar 31, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Clear reddish amber color with a thin lace for a head. The aroma is weak. Just a hint of toasted grains. Taste is average at best. Toasted grains and a touch of sweetness. A little bit of hop can be tasted. Has an odd sweet finish. Light body makes it drinkable. This beer is ok, but it is no bock.

Luigi, Mar 21, 2006