Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev +8%

Nice dark pour with a good off white head....not much lacing.
Smells of roasted malts, caramel.
Taste was actually a bit surprising..some maltiness noted..once again caramel nd even a bit of toffee.
Mouthfeel was very thin..a bit of work needed here.

2.96/5  rDev +3.1%

I love getting these at bars that do cheap drafts, because out the usual suspects (Bud, BL, Coors Light and Miller Lite) this is the only macro that isn't complete garbage. Has a nice, thick, brownish body so the eyes are fooled. Because in reality there is very little malt or hops to even consider this a quality beer, yet alone a bock. It is extremely watery and plain, but the smoothness makes it easy to kill your glass. I like having one of these with a meal because it is like having a soda with your meal but you can still feel manly knowing you had a beer with your burger.

2.71/5  rDev -5.6%

One of the great gateway-beers.

Seen on draught at many sports events, the macrobrews may be inadvertently converting their owned zombie masses into drinking something other than american lager...

Poured nice, nice head, nice color. You can drink these. Probably one of the better of the macrobrews.

i wouldn't mind seeing the manufacturing process of this.

3.03/5  rDev +5.6%

I've had this beer on many opportunities when nothing better was available but never reviewed it. The appearance is actually a pleasing amber/orange, very clear with tons of bubbles and a nice head (although it didn't last long). Aroma and taste are both understated but are considerably stronger and better balanced than all of the other AB offerings. Mouthfeel is a little on the thin watery side, but hey - at least there's a hint of flavor.

If this is your only choice besides BMC...go for it.

I saw this beer advertised via a neon sign, now I must admit it caught my eye, so I figured I must give it a try. It as I voted was merely average it was not good not bad just decent. It diod produce a nice head and had a nice deep golden color about it, it had a smooth mouthfeel and barely any after taste but all in all was just ok...

3.11/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful ruby-brown with stunning clarity, though the head is minimal and disappears quickly to leave only a crowning trace. Bubbles are slow-moving. Overall it looks like a barleywine or an old ale might.

Bready malt, with hints of caramel, red licorice and toffee hidden deep in the aroma...an aroma that gives off very little clue of what this beer is all about. A little soapy around the edges. (No, it's not my glass!) Could've used a stronger presence in this department.

Flavor offers slight roasted maltiness up front, with brown sugar, caramel, and timid peat checking in at various points. It's a little uneven, though tasty enough. Unfortunately the mouthfeel is like that of a soda just going stale. It does nothing to help deliver flavor, and in fact makes me want to finish the glass quickly to get it over with. Too bad, as there's some decent flavor here.

Not a bad offering from a brewery that creates one of the most disgusting beers of our time (Michelob Li**t). But the Amber Bock is one of those beers that, given little choice in a smalltown supermarket, you wouldn't exactly disgrace yourself by trying.

3.7/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle.

pours a clear mahogany with a small head

Smells of malt, sugar, sweetness.

tastes of roasted malts. Nothing strong, nothing heavy, nothing over the top, and nothing complex, but at the same time there is more flavor there than expected.

This one as a crisp, clean mouthfeel with a pretty dry finish.

This one is easy to drink, even in the hot arizona summertime. This is one i tend to keep a few on hand of for those friends of mine who refuse to try my heavier offerings. it is a good "transistion beer" as a precursor to craft beer. gets the drinker over the fear of "darker" beers.

This is my "macro session beer of choice" if macro is my only option.

3.53/5  rDev +23%

Pours a deep amber/brown color with a slightly tan/off white head. It has an aroma of nicely roasted malt and some hops. The taste delivered just that. Nice roasted malts blended very well with the hops. Not what I was expecting from michelob. I was pleasantly surprised. The mouthfeel was good and it was a very drinkable beer with a good amount of flavor.

3.63/5  rDev +26.5%

Pours light caramel, with tan and light copper tones. Head produced was 2 fingers, which dissipated quickly leaving lace around the glass.
Smells malty, alcohol, light chocolate and coffee. Some aroma hops.
Tastes sweet, slightly burnt, with most of the flavor coming up front with the carbonation, or just behind the tip of the tongue. Taste is very clean. Carbonation is light and you can comfortably can sip this if you like, and savor the maltiness, or drink it down like a session beer. Quite drinkable even in the sun.

Every now and then I get this... fellow beer enthusiasts will stumble seeing me drink 'anything' from AB. It's an easy beer to buy by the case, and give out to fellow beer snobs who admit never trying it. This usually results in surprised or grudging praise for the beer.

2.97/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at Applebees in Omaha in a pint glass.

Appearance was decent, tan to light carmel color. Bright white head that disipated quickly, but left some lacing. The head can be reinvigorated with some swirling.

The nose is pretty clean, some biscuit notes and some faint lemon grass.

The taste is equally clean at first, some citrus flavor come through midway, and finishes with a bit of carmel sweetness.

The mouthfeel is a bit like pop, and the carbonation reinforces that feeling. The beer is quite fizzy.

I remember when I was not of legal drinking age thinking that this stuff was great because it had a bit more of a whallop than most beers. I've had it a couple more times now that my palate is a bit more refined, and found it very tame. It really paired nicely with the fajitas I had, and it was highly drinkable.

2.8/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured a clean clear amber brownish color. Decent head that dissipated quickly. Slight lacing in the glass. Smells of grass with a slight caramel malt tone. Not the best smelling brew but still had some distinct malt tones. Seeing I am in St. Louis I guess I should give it a shot. There is also a grassy scent mixed in there. Taste is smooth with a light malt flavor up front. Some sweet caramel tones mixed with a dough like flavor. Very light bodied. Not my favorite but had an easy drinkability. Certainly has a malted profile. No real hop notes in there at least not on my tongue. Maybe a trace in the finish. This brew is certainly not on my list as a great beer but it is decent I guess. I would not go out of my way to drink it thats for sure. I never really steer towards the big three but had to give it a shot.

3.48/5  rDev +21.3%

Appearance: Pours a nice dark amber/brown with a head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Malty and slightly roasted aroma.

Taste: A little on the light side for the style, but notes of roasted malt, caramel, molasses present. Malt dominates though the hop presence keeps that in check. Clean aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Fairly smooth, but light in body. A little slickness felt on the tongue.

Drinkability: Pretty easy drinking for a bock.

Overall: Better than any other of Michelob's lager offerings. Nonetheless, a little on the light side, but not too bad.

3.87/5  rDev +34.8%

I am quite new to the world of reviewing beers so I thought I would start with something I enjoy and can be found anywhere.

One of the most strong points about the Amber Bock is the taste. It has a decent amount of hoppiness in flavor, something I wouldn't expect from a Michelob beer.

It is a little thin for a dark lager, but it still decent.

The biggest downside to this beer is the amount of carbonation bubbles in it. Even just casually drinking it will cause a massive amount of foam to appear.

Overall, a great choice if you need something tasty.

2.98/5  rDev +3.8%

I am going to say that this one is a beer I can get behind as far as Michelob is concerned. I do enjoy this one. It is by far the beer I order when I am at Henry Hudsons Pubs in OKC. Of all the beers they make this one stands out as the most memerobal beer around. By the way sorry for the spelling mistakes.

3.23/5  rDev +12.5%

A deep amber color is noted once poured into a glass. The smell is about average and definately suited to the fall season. While the taste is rich with hints of caramel, a nice touch. The first time that I had this beer was at a college in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I was at a friends house and he was raving about AmberBock, and it is a good beer overall.

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%

Kind of a strange Bock beer, if you ask me. Pours an amber-esque color ... doesn't quite look right for this type, but not unattractive.

Had an unusual amount of hops. Not a lot, mind you, but I was expecting zero. Mouthfeel was surprisingly thin. Some caramel notes, a bit of sweet malt, but no roasting. Strange. Aftertaste definitely brought up the bit o' hoppiness.

Drinkable. Amongst the macrobrews, clearly one of my faves.

3.15/5  rDev +9.8%

12-oz bottle poured into a beer mug.

A = Oak brown, good head leaving a lot of lacing. A little too many carbonation bubbles.

S = Light smell of toasted malt, hay, oats.

T = Light toasted malt, sweet caramel flavors, bitter aftertaste with good finish.

M = Thin body, too much carbonation.

D = Nothing wrong with this beer, could easily drink several of them. That said, there are many more interesting and flavorful beers so I do not think I will seek this out again.

2.6/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

16 oz on-tap

Michelob Amber Bock has a clear medium brown color with a slight red cast [amber -DUH] and a thin white head. Body is light for a Bock. Smell and taste is of light toasted malt with a little hop bitterness at the finish. Mouth feel was thin but crisp and has little fizzy carbonation.

Amber Bock is more like an American Amber Lager than a Bock – too “plain” for me. Make sure you drink this brew when cold, as taste went downhill as it warmed.

2.41/5  rDev -16%

Pours a dark amber with a fair amount of head that stands its ground. Smells a bit like a bock but just barely.

Putting rice into this beer has definitely pulled back on the flavor. There's not much hops here either. It's mainly the carbonation doing the work.

It's basically Budweiser but with roasted malts. This is more an American Amber Lager than a Bock.

2.83/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Poured a dark amber color with a thin off white head

S - Is of roasted malt

T - Starts with sweet malt finishes with some bitter hops

M - Theres medium carbonation in it

D - Its one of the better AB offerings I'll drink it the bar only has macros on tap its not bad

3.33/5  rDev +16%

Before we get started one would like to point out that this beer is often the only thing approaching real beer when one is forced to grab a sixxer at a gas station because everybody else is closed...Also my first introduction into the world of beer...strangely I thought this was an exotic the first time I'd had it back in 1998!...Before this beer I thought one was a man tried and true and proper if he could drink Busch!...

Pours a dark amber into the mug...

Mildly Malty...

Charcoal...roasty...

goes down smooth!...I developed my love for beer from this beer...first beer ever that I didn't have to chug to enjoy!...

Me like...and me will buy again when circumstances insist apon it...Though it's not a bock...it was a gateway beer for me...led to drinking of authentic bock...

3.5/5  rDev +22%

Pours a dark amber color with a one-finger head.Aroma is nice and malty with some smokiness and the simple lines of a standard bock. Taste is somewhat watery though and it's obviously a Michelob thing. Somewhat sweet as well with caramel aftertaste. Still quite drinkable but other than that, not much to rave about.

3.11/5  rDev +8.4%

A hard pour yields an attractive dark copper beer with a nice tan four-finger head. Promising start!

Smell is of roasted malt... mild.

Taste is mild sweet malts with a slight hops bitterness on the finish. Pretty watered-down flavor, but better than the usual macro for sure!

Mouthfeel is thin and disappointing.

Drinkability is pretty good and nothing really offends. I have to give A-B credit for at least trying! If I have to have an American macro in the future, then this will be the one. If they'd just kick the flavor up a notch or two this could be pretty good. As is, it doesn't really compare with a true bock.

2.4/5  rDev -16.4%

I drink this because the selection at my golf course is limited and this is the best they have on tap. As such I have consumed many pitchers of Amber Bock. It pours a light carmel color with modest foam. The aroma is low average for beer in general but better than Budweiser or worse yet Lite. There is some taste, more then it’s rice-brew cousin. And though it is certainly no great beer, I would have to call it quite drinkable because I keep drinking it.

2.63/5  rDev -8.4%

Served in a chilled pint glass, a restaurant's favorite.

A - Dark brown glowing inwards to a deep red coloration. Produced a minimal head with poor retention. Left no lacing. Stilll, something about the dark amber profile is enticing.

S - Roasted malt aroma, not too strong, but not bad.

T - Very sweet caramel flavor, almost too sweet. Slight bitterness creeps in and finishes damn near sour. Not too friendly.

M - Light bodied brew with mild carbonation and an almost candy-like aftertaste. Light, dry finish.

D - Low for me, one was enough. I think I was expecting something more beer like, this had a wine sort of feel to it in my opinion. Far too sweet with a sour finish, not what I like in my beer. I wouldn't recommend this to a brew lover, but to someone who doesn't like "beer" tastes, this could be perfect.

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch