1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob AmberBockMichelob AmberBock

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.

(Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,351 | Reviews: 634 | Show All Ratings:
ToddL

2.95/5  rDev +2.8%

I end up drinking this dark beer more than I would like because it is usually available everywhere and is sometime the only dark around. The appearance and smell are average the taste has nothing that offends . A little watery. But still better than a lighter lager in my opinion

11-19-2012 15:14:45 | More by ToddL
jjamadorphd

3.05/5  rDev +6.3%

This particular beer had a malty scent underneath a hearty head that stuck around for quite a while. I tasted a distant flavor of caramel, but it was mostly bitter from the hops. Overall, it looks great in the glass but was lacking from a watery taste that was mostly bitter.

09-24-2012 01:42:28 | More by jjamadorphd
BierStein711

3.43/5  rDev +19.5%

Amber Bock had in 16 oz plastic cup at Irish festival, four finger head

The color is amber brown, head is off white, almost cola colored

Taste: fairly complex for inBev... malt forward beer, bready, and toasty. As the beer warms a chocolate flavor appears.

Smell: malt

Mouthfeel: watery

Overall, this beer is what I would have if I only had a choice from domestic brews.

08-25-2012 18:25:55 | More by BierStein711
metter98

2.5/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down but consistently left patches of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of caramel malts in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of caramel malts along with a hint of malty sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied and a bit thin on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is a lot lighter in body compared to other beers in the style, making it easier to drink for people that are used to drinking American Adjunct Lagers and Light Lagers.

08-16-2012 15:21:50 | More by metter98
Treyliff

West Virginia

2.38/5  rDev -17.1%

A- pours a dark copper, cola like color with a good size foamy white head that reduces to a small layer, no lacing.

S- not much at all, a bit of faint sweet malt.

T- similar to smell, a bit of sweet malt, no hops traceable, seltzer water.

M- medium body and high carbonation. Too much carbonation for me, finishes a bit slick.

O- the color of this beer is very deceiving. You expect it to have a nice malty character, that is not the case. Another example of a watered down Michelob product from AB.

08-10-2012 15:32:48 | More by Treyliff
MikieV

2.35/5  rDev -18.1%

OK. Having sampled around 250 different beers, I'm learning more and more every day. We all see, smell and taste differently. That being said...
From draft at the local casino;
Pours a nice deep dark amber like a good bock should.
Decent tan head like a good bock should have.
But that is.where the good characteristics ended for me.
Smells malty and sweet but stale.
Tastes like it smells. Malts, sweet caramel, but a dry stale flavor ruins it for me. While cold it seems too sweet for this style of beer. As it warms, the stale cardboard flavor overpowers the flavor making it difficult to finish. This is nothing like Celebrator or even old reliable Shinerbock. I guess I would drink it in a pinch, but I find it fair at best.
Unlike prev. Review, I cant find even the slightest resembelance to Guinness Extra Stout, or anything else.

08-05-2012 03:25:17 | More by MikieV
JamesHenjum

3.73/5  rDev +30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This review was made after Michelob turned this beer into a craft, non-adjunct lager.

A: Very dark brown, yet see through. White head.

S: Roasted malts all day long.

T: Almost Guinness extra stout like in taste. A lot of roasted flavors but much more watered down. But it is watered down in a good way. It keeps it unoffensive and keeps away the bitterness. Pretty smooth and very good tasting.

M: Kind of creamy but still fizzy and lager like. Kind of a coffee/chocolatey aftertaste.

O: I liked this beer a lot. Good with food, but not so much a session beer, though it could be done. For the price it can't be beat.

07-20-2012 20:19:51 | More by JamesHenjum
beergoot

3.05/5  rDev +6.3%

A nice looking but unexceptional body. Honey-brown color with a thin white head.

There is the barest trace of roasted malt, perhaps a smidgeon of cocoa.

Taste is not bad at all. There is a distinct dark malt character with a faint bit of bitterness in the finish. Clean and dry finish.

The overall score reflects the quick disappearance of what good flavor and taste exists with this beer. Definitely a cut above more mundane beers from Budweiser or Miller, but otherwise unexceptional.

07-04-2012 19:07:56 | More by beergoot
ahemahem

1.65/5  rDev -42.5%

I'm not partial to American mass market beers (although I am an American consumer). Disclosure: I did not even drink beer until I lived in Canada for a while--couldn't stand American beer. Now that I'm back I'm picky.

This tastes like the typical US fare--it's Michelob. It could easily be Bud, Miller, etc. but a slightly deeper lager (because it's a Bock).

07-04-2012 00:59:19 | More by ahemahem
beersunited

Looking for a new beer to try I decided to sample the Amber Bock at the happy hour provided by the hotel I am staying at.

The appearance looked like a dark amber golden color which is nice to look at while drinking this beer.

I loved the hints of caramel and the sweet smell of vanilla. It did not have that skunky smell to it which I find somewhat offensive.

The taste is phenomenal. I could taste the sweetness and bitterness which gave a nice mouthfeel. I allowed the beer to sit in my mouth for 15 seconds and swirled it around a bit and it left me with a refreshing aftertaste. I would drink this beer over a light beer and while its not Leffe its a beer I would not be ashamed of drinking or serving at a party.

Overall this beer gets a 5/5 because the price is right, you are getting an American Bock Beer which can be served at anytime during the year with various foods. It was so good I asked for a second pour. With a lemon it gives a citrus aspect to the overall taste.

06-08-2012 21:14:26 | More by beersunited
CHBRYSON

4.48/5  rDev +56.1%

This is a very good beer on draft, I do not care for the bottle.I used to drink Killian Red and after I tried AB i was sold!!!
AmberBock is a 5.2% abv amber lager which uses roasted black barley malt in the ingredients, and which received a World Beer Cup Bronze Medal in 1998.

05-10-2012 04:43:36 | More by CHBRYSON
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

2.44/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes (on tap at Otis Air Force Cape Cod on April 13, 2012):

In a pint glass (later served in a pilsener, nothing changed):

A: red/brown colored body with a small white head that looked pretty foamy as I watched the bartender try to dissipate the head to make sure I got a full beer. It left little lacing. I did not see any surfacing carbonation.

S: slightly roasty caramel malts (one really has to reach for those), mostly bland

T: some of the caramel, but was really pretty light for the most part. There was some bitter nuttiness in the taste that added a bit of sweetness, but really wasn't much

M: pretty thin and not much carbonation in the feel - a bit watery, very sessionable - too much?

O: well, I've had it before and wanted to accurately give a fair review. From what I've learned of bocks, this is not exactly what a bock is supposed to be. Maybe not bad for a cheaper beer, but nothing I think I need again at least not immediately.

04-15-2012 22:23:02 | More by BeerKangaroo
woodychandler

3.05/5  rDev +6.3%

From the bottle: "This dark mahogany lager has a rich, nutty aroma. With a gentle hint of caramel malt sweetness, this American bock-style beer has a deep, malty body that pours a tall head."; "An American Bock-style lager brewed with three unique malts including roasted and caramel specialty malts."

Okay, it poured with a massive two-plus fingers of light-tan head, but the retention was lousy, making like a cheap magic trick and disappearing before my very eyes. Gee, I had no idea that "mahogany" = deep-amber with NE-quality clarity. Very edifying. Equally edifying was the nose, which imparted caramel, but also a huskiness that was not required. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was too sweet for this kid. I like when lagers are given a chance to really age and dry out, but to each his/her own. It finished with a semi-dryness, but not enough to be compelling. I bought it as a single from my neighbor who had some in the singles case recently, and just like a good hippie, I will try anything once. This was a once and done for me, however.

03-31-2012 18:17:57 | More by woodychandler
hardy008

1.9/5  rDev -33.8%

Brown with a small off white head with poor retention and no lacing. Smells like caramel malt and grain. Not much going on here. The aroma is weak.

The taste has caramel malt and grain. Just like the aroma, the taste is weak. Sweet, but not complex, and not very good.

Thin bodied, above average carbonation, watery. Not good by any means, and can't compare at all to the best Bock beers at all. Avoid.

02-18-2012 02:44:29 | More by hardy008
tdm168

3.43/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a deep amber with a dense layer of soft, off white head that has decent retention. The nose is sweet with notes of coffee and toffee. The flavor is sweet with heavy caramel notes. There are some underlying flavors as well; ripe fruit, toffee. The mouthfeel is medium bodied though a little crisp.

This isn't a bad beer. It's enjoyable and drinkable, but ultimately, forgettable. If I were looking for a cheap beer on the shelves this could work its way into the conversation.

02-12-2012 01:03:35 | More by tdm168
intensify

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%

Decent head qith no lacing to follow. Small hints, and i mean small of caramel. Not much going on in the smell. Decent amount of carbonation which makes this beer refreshing and not really a lip smacker. Caramel and a touch of biscuit quickly hit the palate before disappearing completelt. Very thin bodied. Imo it is a poor job by michelob for a bock.. but i will always have a place in my heart for this beer since it introduced me to a slight different style of beer during my bud light days.

01-28-2012 07:48:12 | More by intensify
hopfacebrew

2.83/5  rDev -1.4%

Review from 1/30/2011 notes while on vacation in Vail. Poured from tap at Mid Vail bar to a pilsner glass.

A - The beer pours a reddish brown color with maybe a 1/4inch head that quickly dissaptes with no noticeable lacing.

S - Not much to report here. Slightly noticeable roasted malts and caramel malts.

T/M: The beer was thin from the get go. There are the roasted malts and bready almost nut tastes with a slight amount of bitterness. It came accross sweet. Undercarbed and thin. Not a good representation of a bock, in my opinion.

D - Meh. I mean I had 2 pints to really get a feel for it and it wasn't hard to put down but not exactly memorable.

Overall, I came into this beer with an open mind having both rave reviews and people dogging it for being a macro brew. I thought it had potential but it seemed like a great bock that was mixed with a few ounces of spring water. Had 2 drafts and don't think I will come back.

Reviewed on: 01-31-2011 02:59:26

01-27-2012 21:41:11 | More by hopfacebrew
kylehay2004

3.28/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Single finger head on a slightly hazy brown with amber hues body. Decent amount of lacing. Sweet caramel malt and light Gipson the aroma. More sweet caramel malt in the flavor with no hops to speak of. The malt aftertaste is perfect. High carbonation makes this one seem refreshing. Medium body. Overall nof a bad offering. One of the better beers when choices are slim.

01-15-2012 21:21:04 | More by kylehay2004
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

2.7/5  rDev -5.9%

poured in a pint.

A- Pours clear dark amber with a one finger white head.
S- It has the disappointing smell of being watered down. Some red malts. very sweet smelling. kinda skunky smelling.
T- Has a sugary sweet creaminess. very sugary. No hops whatsoever. All carbonation and sugars but not too bad on the tongue.
M- Compared to what I am used to drinking, this goes down like water. Very highly carbonated, gives me a case of the burps. Doesn't leave behind much behind but a sugary taste. carbonation and sugar sting the tongue.
O- Its easy to drink and isnt that that bad, especially for a michelob. If your looking for a dirt cheap 6er to take to a party then this is not a decent choice but in the world of craft beer it fails.

01-15-2012 03:32:33 | More by TwelveOunces
bierfreundlich

3.23/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Pours an amber color with hints of red, small beige head and tiny bubbles.

S - Smells very much of nuts and caramel. Sweet. Marzipan. The hops poke their head out after it opens up a bit.

T - The taste is very clean. Malt. Not as sweet as the aroma. And seemingly less sweet than your average bock. Very light on hops.

M - Quite crisp on the palate, leaving the mouth a little dry.

O - Describing this beer was more interesting than I thought. And I would say that it exceeded my expectations. I'm trying to figure out why I am giving it such a decent score.

01-02-2012 04:34:37 | More by bierfreundlich
TempeBeerMan

Arizona

2.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Someone had a leftover beer in thier fridge and didnt want it, which makes a perfect excuse for my first AB product review. Although the fact that someone gave it away should give me pause. Poured into a pilsner glass.

A - It's well...you guessed it - dark amber colored. Even an aggressive pour yielded only the thinnest half-finger head of very soapy looking white bubbles. Lacing non-existent.

S - Very faint, but what little smell I got was decent. You can smell some roasted barley.

T - Not horrible. Just...weak. Initial taste is roasted and slighty sweet malt. A little bit of a spicy hop twang. But everything is in such miniscule proportions that I cannot go so far as to call this "good". Especially since it's supposed to be a "bock", and it has almost zero bock characteristics. Taste dies out almost instantly, leaving a taste reminiscent of paste I ate when I was a kid. Probably not a good thing to have your beer taste like paste.

M - Watery. Waaaay watery. With lots of carbination. Mouthfeel wise, this is no different from any other AB product I've ever had.

O - I cant lie, I have drank a good bit of this back in my youth. But I wanted to review it 100% objectively. Now that I have, I could be nice and say how Amber Bock is sometimes the best choice at restaurants or how it's a gateway from Coors/Bud/Miller to "better" beers. But I wont. Truth be told, it's weak flavored, watery, mislabled, and just...not very good. I would never pay to drink this by choice.

12-20-2011 02:32:23 | More by TempeBeerMan
HockeytownBrew

2.95/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A : A fairly clear dark caramel color with a two finger width head.

S : Hints of sweet malts and a pretty nice amount of caramel are present along with a bit of a nutty presence.

T : Pretty much the same as the scent. Biscuit notes and an ever so slight bitterness.

M : Thin to medium mouthfeel, moderate carbonation.

D : Not bad.

12-15-2011 20:18:41 | More by HockeytownBrew
zaphodchak

2.17/5  rDev -24.4%

Half finger creamy rapidly receding head, brown amber body.  Some decent lacing but not much retention.

Smell is half cheap uriney macro beer, but with some chocolatey malt.

Taste. Hmm. Like a really malty bid light?  Nor horrible but the main taste is corny, and the rest just tastes a bit cheap.  There's a vague, sticky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel tastes like some foamy fiz pumped into what would otherwise be watery.

It's not horrible but not good either. Really probably shouldn't be classified as a bock, though I guess I see what they did there, maybe a really dark amber.

12-02-2011 01:54:56 | More by zaphodchak
skinnybear

2.6/5  rDev -9.4%

appearance/ clear golden brown.slight creamy head fades fast

smell/ like a normal reggie beer with a tidbit of sweet almondy flowers

taste/ mostly malty flavor not a bit hoppy.starts clean finishes clean

mouthfeel/ more carbonated than most dark lagers.not thick at all like i anticipated from the coloration.it is an almost added color doesn't consist with flavor

overall/ for a company like michelob its a decent beer.for only 10 bucks a twelve pack. its a bit over decent.would i buy it again? probally not. better to throw 7 more bucks and get some sierra nevada

11-09-2011 02:02:05 | More by skinnybear
mactrail

2.8/5  rDev -2.4%

Carbonation is quite coarse and dissipates quickly. Soda water mouthfeel and taste. Just a touch of caramel flavor marred with a sourish hint. Maybe a fresh-tapped keg would be worth a swig, but whatever delicate possibilities this may have are lost in the bottle. Lack of any hop aroma limits its appeal. Smells like wet cardboard.

The newer label calls it "Amberbock," like it's some cool new thing. Described as "American bock-style lager," which is probably closer to the truth than an actual bock.

11-02-2011 04:52:09 | More by mactrail