Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
Reviews: 666 | Hads: 1,702
3.72/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours a very dark amber.brown color with a half inch head that dissipates quickly leaving a nice lacing.

Smell - Feint aromas of roasted malts, butter, and bread.

Taste - It has a nice sweetness to it which seems different from other beers.. Roasted malts, buttery caramel, nutty, very bready, and a slight fruity essence in the finish. Almost no bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light-medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - Easy to drink on.

3.2/5  rDev +11.5%

Attractive deep amber in color, with limited suds and no real lace to speak of.

Nose is subtle, with hints of fruit and a lightly roasty tone. Not much here, though.

Flavor is malty and sweet, even watery, but smooth. I get a hint of roastiness in the malts, as well as some touches of dried fruit. This one's subtle, and most definitely lacking in complexity, but, nonetheless, a decent choice as opposed to the usual adjunct lager swill.

4.43/5  rDev +54.4%

I've had it both in a bottle, and on tap. It pores like other bock styles, nice dark/rich color and moderate size head. The aroma had a maltiness to it, with almost a chocolate hint. The finish is a heavier, filling taste while still keeping you wanting more. It's my favorite winter time, by the bon fire beer. It gives you all the fill you want without being completely bitter and so heavy that you feel like you need to take out a knife to cut through it.

3.3/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A - Very dark amber in color with a 2inch off-white head which does not linger.

S - smells faintly of hops, roasted malts, and some dried fruits - plums maybe?

T - tastes of malts and dried fruits which adds a good amount of sweetness. Some slight hoppiness at the beginning and follows up with malt backbone at the end

M - Light bodied, good carb. about right

O - Nothing spectacular but not poor tasting. A little bland

2.33/5  rDev -18.8%

It seems as if Amber Bock has been weakened over time. This bottle poured a weak brownness and missed the blackness of old. The scent was of sweet malts but sort of metallic on the nose. The taste was weak, no burning overtones, or malt backbone to speak of. I remember this was a rather tasteful beer at one time, one I was embarrassed to say I liked, but I believe that Michelob has changed the recipe to keep costs down and Amber Bock has suffered because of it.

3.76/5  rDev +31%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Amber-brown color, clear. Lots of fine carbonation rising up. Soapy head. Leaves a little lacing behind.

Barley malt, sweet, slight toasted, crisp.

Sweet barley malt up front, caramel, toasted, slight roasted nut. Hop bitterness is very mild. Crisp finish. Body is light, crisp, a little dry, very smooth, well carbonated.

3.2/5  rDev +11.5%

appearance: a darker color than other beers of this price, but still, its pretty stone cold avragness

smell: decent. nothing offensive, but nothing that I really enjoy. Avrageness yet again

taste: once again, its just ok. Ive drunk this by the pitcher before, and it had been good nights, but nothing I expressly enjoy

mouthfeel: whatfeel? not much here eather. I'm sorry to run on a tangent, but this is average yet again.

overall: 4/5

wait, why that rating? I said that this beer is the perfect example of a perfectly average beer
price point makes me add an extra point. even at the shittiest bar, this beer is still available, and is always a cheap, easy to get option.
If funds are tight or options are low, get this beer
you at least, will not be disappointed (but nor will you be impressed)

if you can get another brew do so
thats all I have to say about this one

3.3/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: After the head recedes, it looks a lot like cola, maybe a little prettier. Amber Bock pours a dark... well, amber. Not an ugly brew, being kind of translucent-dark when held up to a light but quite bubbly.

Smell: Colds keep bothering me when I'd like to review beer, but I smell roasted barley, and some general mild earthiness.

Taste: Good, with more flavor than a typical macro, even if it is somewhat watery.

Mouthfeel: Again, it's not quite as thick/creamy as some other bocks I've tried. Very drinkable, but somewhat watered down to others of the style. It might be a tad over carbonated, too. As with lots of other beers worth drinking, it gets better when it isn't as ice-cold.

Overall: I've been going to this one for a while as the only dark available on tap in a few pubs I've frequented. Reasons being: far more flavor than you would get from the macro straw-colored beers available, and less expensive than a truly nice beer. She's my go-to middle of the road dark. Quite a cheap date, Michelob Amber Bock.

2.95/5  rDev +2.8%

I end up drinking this dark beer more than I would like because it is usually available everywhere and is sometime the only dark around. The appearance and smell are average the taste has nothing that offends . A little watery. But still better than a lighter lager in my opinion

3.06/5  rDev +6.6%

This particular beer had a malty scent underneath a hearty head that stuck around for quite a while. I tasted a distant flavor of caramel, but it was mostly bitter from the hops. Overall, it looks great in the glass but was lacking from a watery taste that was mostly bitter.

3.41/5  rDev +18.8%

Amber Bock had in 16 oz plastic cup at Irish festival, four finger head

The color is amber brown, head is off white, almost cola colored

Taste: fairly complex for inBev... malt forward beer, bready, and toasty. As the beer warms a chocolate flavor appears.

Smell: malt

Mouthfeel: watery

Overall, this beer is what I would have if I only had a choice from domestic brews.

2.51/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down but consistently left patches of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of caramel malts in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of caramel malts along with a hint of malty sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied and a bit thin on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is a lot lighter in body compared to other beers in the style, making it easier to drink for people that are used to drinking American Adjunct Lagers and Light Lagers.

2.37/5  rDev -17.4%

A- pours a dark copper, cola like color with a good size foamy white head that reduces to a small layer, no lacing.

S- not much at all, a bit of faint sweet malt.

T- similar to smell, a bit of sweet malt, no hops traceable, seltzer water.

M- medium body and high carbonation. Too much carbonation for me, finishes a bit slick.

O- the color of this beer is very deceiving. You expect it to have a nice malty character, that is not the case. Another example of a watered down Michelob product from AB.

2.39/5  rDev -16.7%

OK. Having sampled around 250 different beers, I'm learning more and more every day. We all see, smell and taste differently. That being said...
From draft at the local casino;
Pours a nice deep dark amber like a good bock should.
Decent tan head like a good bock should have.
But that is.where the good characteristics ended for me.
Smells malty and sweet but stale.
Tastes like it smells. Malts, sweet caramel, but a dry stale flavor ruins it for me. While cold it seems too sweet for this style of beer. As it warms, the stale cardboard flavor overpowers the flavor making it difficult to finish. This is nothing like Celebrator or even old reliable Shinerbock. I guess I would drink it in a pinch, but I find it fair at best.
Unlike prev. Review, I cant find even the slightest resembelance to Guinness Extra Stout, or anything else.

3.7/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This review was made after Michelob turned this beer into a craft, non-adjunct lager.

A: Very dark brown, yet see through. White head.

S: Roasted malts all day long.

T: Almost Guinness extra stout like in taste. A lot of roasted flavors but much more watered down. But it is watered down in a good way. It keeps it unoffensive and keeps away the bitterness. Pretty smooth and very good tasting.

M: Kind of creamy but still fizzy and lager like. Kind of a coffee/chocolatey aftertaste.

O: I liked this beer a lot. Good with food, but not so much a session beer, though it could be done. For the price it can't be beat.

3.05/5  rDev +6.3%

A nice looking but unexceptional body. Honey-brown color with a thin white head.

There is the barest trace of roasted malt, perhaps a smidgeon of cocoa.

Taste is not bad at all. There is a distinct dark malt character with a faint bit of bitterness in the finish. Clean and dry finish.

The overall score reflects the quick disappearance of what good flavor and taste exists with this beer. Definitely a cut above more mundane beers from Budweiser or Miller, but otherwise unexceptional.

1.73/5  rDev -39.7%

I'm not partial to American mass market beers (although I am an American consumer). Disclosure: I did not even drink beer until I lived in Canada for a while--couldn't stand American beer. Now that I'm back I'm picky.

This tastes like the typical US fare--it's Michelob. It could easily be Bud, Miller, etc. but a slightly deeper lager (because it's a Bock).

Looking for a new beer to try I decided to sample the Amber Bock at the happy hour provided by the hotel I am staying at.

The appearance looked like a dark amber golden color which is nice to look at while drinking this beer.

I loved the hints of caramel and the sweet smell of vanilla. It did not have that skunky smell to it which I find somewhat offensive.

The taste is phenomenal. I could taste the sweetness and bitterness which gave a nice mouthfeel. I allowed the beer to sit in my mouth for 15 seconds and swirled it around a bit and it left me with a refreshing aftertaste. I would drink this beer over a light beer and while its not Leffe its a beer I would not be ashamed of drinking or serving at a party.

Overall this beer gets a 5/5 because the price is right, you are getting an American Bock Beer which can be served at anytime during the year with various foods. It was so good I asked for a second pour. With a lemon it gives a citrus aspect to the overall taste.

4.45/5  rDev +55.1%

This is a very good beer on draft, I do not care for the bottle.I used to drink Killian Red and after I tried AB i was sold!!!
AmberBock is a 5.2% abv amber lager which uses roasted black barley malt in the ingredients, and which received a World Beer Cup Bronze Medal in 1998.

2.43/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes (on tap at Otis Air Force Cape Cod on April 13, 2012):

In a pint glass (later served in a pilsener, nothing changed):

A: red/brown colored body with a small white head that looked pretty foamy as I watched the bartender try to dissipate the head to make sure I got a full beer. It left little lacing. I did not see any surfacing carbonation.

S: slightly roasty caramel malts (one really has to reach for those), mostly bland

T: some of the caramel, but was really pretty light for the most part. There was some bitter nuttiness in the taste that added a bit of sweetness, but really wasn't much

M: pretty thin and not much carbonation in the feel - a bit watery, very sessionable - too much?

O: well, I've had it before and wanted to accurately give a fair review. From what I've learned of bocks, this is not exactly what a bock is supposed to be. Maybe not bad for a cheaper beer, but nothing I think I need again at least not immediately.

3.06/5  rDev +6.6%

From the bottle: "This dark mahogany lager has a rich, nutty aroma. With a gentle hint of caramel malt sweetness, this American bock-style beer has a deep, malty body that pours a tall head."; "An American Bock-style lager brewed with three unique malts including roasted and caramel specialty malts."

Okay, it poured with a massive two-plus fingers of light-tan head, but the retention was lousy, making like a cheap magic trick and disappearing before my very eyes. Gee, I had no idea that "mahogany" = deep-amber with NE-quality clarity. Very edifying. Equally edifying was the nose, which imparted caramel, but also a huskiness that was not required. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was too sweet for this kid. I like when lagers are given a chance to really age and dry out, but to each his/her own. It finished with a semi-dryness, but not enough to be compelling. I bought it as a single from my neighbor who had some in the singles case recently, and just like a good hippie, I will try anything once. This was a once and done for me, however.

1.9/5  rDev -33.8%

Brown with a small off white head with poor retention and no lacing. Smells like caramel malt and grain. Not much going on here. The aroma is weak.

The taste has caramel malt and grain. Just like the aroma, the taste is weak. Sweet, but not complex, and not very good.

Thin bodied, above average carbonation, watery. Not good by any means, and can't compare at all to the best Bock beers at all. Avoid.

3.41/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a deep amber with a dense layer of soft, off white head that has decent retention. The nose is sweet with notes of coffee and toffee. The flavor is sweet with heavy caramel notes. There are some underlying flavors as well; ripe fruit, toffee. The mouthfeel is medium bodied though a little crisp.

This isn't a bad beer. It's enjoyable and drinkable, but ultimately, forgettable. If I were looking for a cheap beer on the shelves this could work its way into the conversation.

2.73/5  rDev -4.9%

Decent head qith no lacing to follow. Small hints, and i mean small of caramel. Not much going on in the smell. Decent amount of carbonation which makes this beer refreshing and not really a lip smacker. Caramel and a touch of biscuit quickly hit the palate before disappearing completelt. Very thin bodied. Imo it is a poor job by michelob for a bock.. but i will always have a place in my heart for this beer since it introduced me to a slight different style of beer during my bud light days.

2.8/5  rDev -2.4%

Review from 1/30/2011 notes while on vacation in Vail. Poured from tap at Mid Vail bar to a pilsner glass.

A - The beer pours a reddish brown color with maybe a 1/4inch head that quickly dissaptes with no noticeable lacing.

S - Not much to report here. Slightly noticeable roasted malts and caramel malts.

T/M: The beer was thin from the get go. There are the roasted malts and bready almost nut tastes with a slight amount of bitterness. It came accross sweet. Undercarbed and thin. Not a good representation of a bock, in my opinion.

D - Meh. I mean I had 2 pints to really get a feel for it and it wasn't hard to put down but not exactly memorable.

Overall, I came into this beer with an open mind having both rave reviews and people dogging it for being a macro brew. I thought it had potential but it seemed like a great bock that was mixed with a few ounces of spring water. Had 2 drafts and don't think I will come back.

Reviewed on: 01-31-2011 02:59:26