Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,660 | Reviews: 673
2.87/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Michelob : AmberBock

LOOK: Ontap poured into a 24oz mug. They asked if I wanted a the big one, I said of course. Amber colored brew with a short lived white foam topping.

SMELL: Malt and grains are present with a mild sweetness in the aroma.

TASTE: Freshly kilned toasted malts are the focus of this brew. A touch of roast, mild citrus note from processed hops, the beer finishes in a sweet fashion reflecting watery caramel. Mild is the theme here, and this is closer to a mild than a bock on flavor.

FEEL: Medium bodied, smooth feel, a bit thin and watery, but well carbonated. There is really no finish to this beer, it's kind of like drinking a carbonated iced tea.

OVERALL: Nothing offensive here, this is just a mass produced, standard dark lager that quenches the thirst during hockey and pizza. Can't complain.

3.79/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I gotta say I really like this beer. Its appearance is very dark, with a thick frothy head. I poured it into a glass with a rounded bottom, per the instructions, and the head retained for the length of my drinking. Really nice malty taste. I could have a ton of these. I've always enjoyed Michelob Light as one of my favorite Macros, as its a good balance of taste and drinkability, but I've never really experimented with the offerings of the Michelob brand. Mich Lager is like a beefed up Budweiser, but not so amazing that it needs to be tried. The RYE-P.A. was a tasty but short lived experiment, and michelob ultra is no good at all. But the Amber Bock was something I've passed by for years without trying and I'm glad i gave it a shot. The hallertau hops are a great smelling variant and the caramel malts are loud and proud here. You may be surprised how tasty this is. Its a beer that I feel I could grow tired of if its all I ever had, but then again that can be said with just about anything. You really ought to give this a try as I feel this is something that could be discontinued with lousy sales and I really would miss it.

2.79/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance - Pours a fairly clear dark amber with an off-white, finger width head. Sub-par retention. Little in the way of surface sheeting, mostly crowding around the edge of the glass. Virtually no lacing to speak of.

Smell - Sweet aroma. Light caramel. Slight grain. Not much.

Taste - Very light on flavor. What is there is sweet and malty, touching on moderate caramel and hints of grain. Starts and finishes much the same.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body, with decent carbonation. Crisp bite. Goes down smooth and easy.

Overall - Hardly what most would consider to be a good bock. It may not even be considered average by many. In the very least, it's inoffensive. Needless to say, my childhood curiosity has been snuffed, though not sated. I imagine this is the first and last time I will ever drink this beer.

2.86/5  rDev -0.3%

Look. Michelob stinks. You know it. I know it. The American people know it. In fact, their Ultra could be the worst beer made in America today. However, this Dark Lager Amber Bock isn't half bad. My expectations were very low for this, but I was encouraged with the darker pour. No smell of any note is present. As for taste, it is clean and fresh. There is a slight splash of vanilla or caramel in the taste, and the after taste is refreshing. Will I ever spend the $5.99 for a six-pack on this again? Only if I am broke. But for the price, it's not bad. Still, if I want cheap beer, I'll take Pabst Blue Ribbon or Grain Belt Premium.

2.95/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: Pours into pint glass a clear amber to light brown color with a bubbly tan head that settles fast.

S: Some brown bread, raisins, huskiness, with some band aid aromas. Hops are not noticeable but roasted malt is represented decently.

T: Some caramel, and brown bread with slight fruity esters and no perceived hops. Light metallic taste not desireable though.
M: Light to medium body with extra crisp carbonation.

O: Meh! Tasty enough to not complain about it much but still having that mass produced feel to it.

2.54/5  rDev -11.5%

A - Pours a dark copper with a two-finger slightly off white head. Left no lacing.

S - Starts off with a little bit of cinnamon then it tappers off to a small amount of rice and corn.

T - Pretty minimal. Some very slight toasted malt and creamed corn. Virtually nothing else.

M - Thin watery body with heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, It pretty much tasted like a dark adjunct lager. I could have it with friends or to wash food down but I doubt i'd have it in any other situation.

3.72/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours a very dark amber.brown color with a half inch head that dissipates quickly leaving a nice lacing.

Smell - Feint aromas of roasted malts, butter, and bread.

Taste - It has a nice sweetness to it which seems different from other beers.. Roasted malts, buttery caramel, nutty, very bready, and a slight fruity essence in the finish. Almost no bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light-medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - Easy to drink on.

3.2/5  rDev +11.5%

Attractive deep amber in color, with limited suds and no real lace to speak of.

Nose is subtle, with hints of fruit and a lightly roasty tone. Not much here, though.

Flavor is malty and sweet, even watery, but smooth. I get a hint of roastiness in the malts, as well as some touches of dried fruit. This one's subtle, and most definitely lacking in complexity, but, nonetheless, a decent choice as opposed to the usual adjunct lager swill.

4.43/5  rDev +54.4%

I've had it both in a bottle, and on tap. It pores like other bock styles, nice dark/rich color and moderate size head. The aroma had a maltiness to it, with almost a chocolate hint. The finish is a heavier, filling taste while still keeping you wanting more. It's my favorite winter time, by the bon fire beer. It gives you all the fill you want without being completely bitter and so heavy that you feel like you need to take out a knife to cut through it.

3.3/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A - Very dark amber in color with a 2inch off-white head which does not linger.

S - smells faintly of hops, roasted malts, and some dried fruits - plums maybe?

T - tastes of malts and dried fruits which adds a good amount of sweetness. Some slight hoppiness at the beginning and follows up with malt backbone at the end

M - Light bodied, good carb. about right

O - Nothing spectacular but not poor tasting. A little bland

2.33/5  rDev -18.8%

It seems as if Amber Bock has been weakened over time. This bottle poured a weak brownness and missed the blackness of old. The scent was of sweet malts but sort of metallic on the nose. The taste was weak, no burning overtones, or malt backbone to speak of. I remember this was a rather tasteful beer at one time, one I was embarrassed to say I liked, but I believe that Michelob has changed the recipe to keep costs down and Amber Bock has suffered because of it.

3.76/5  rDev +31%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Amber-brown color, clear. Lots of fine carbonation rising up. Soapy head. Leaves a little lacing behind.

Aroma:
Barley malt, sweet, slight toasted, crisp.

Taste:
Sweet barley malt up front, caramel, toasted, slight roasted nut. Hop bitterness is very mild. Crisp finish. Body is light, crisp, a little dry, very smooth, well carbonated.

3.2/5  rDev +11.5%

appearance: a darker color than other beers of this price, but still, its pretty stone cold avragness

smell: decent. nothing offensive, but nothing that I really enjoy. Avrageness yet again

taste: once again, its just ok. Ive drunk this by the pitcher before, and it had been good nights, but nothing I expressly enjoy

mouthfeel: whatfeel? not much here eather. I'm sorry to run on a tangent, but this is average yet again.

overall: 4/5

wait, why that rating? I said that this beer is the perfect example of a perfectly average beer
price point makes me add an extra point. even at the shittiest bar, this beer is still available, and is always a cheap, easy to get option.
If funds are tight or options are low, get this beer
you at least, will not be disappointed (but nor will you be impressed)

if you can get another brew do so
thats all I have to say about this one

3.3/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: After the head recedes, it looks a lot like cola, maybe a little prettier. Amber Bock pours a dark... well, amber. Not an ugly brew, being kind of translucent-dark when held up to a light but quite bubbly.

Smell: Colds keep bothering me when I'd like to review beer, but I smell roasted barley, and some general mild earthiness.

Taste: Good, with more flavor than a typical macro, even if it is somewhat watery.

Mouthfeel: Again, it's not quite as thick/creamy as some other bocks I've tried. Very drinkable, but somewhat watered down to others of the style. It might be a tad over carbonated, too. As with lots of other beers worth drinking, it gets better when it isn't as ice-cold.

Overall: I've been going to this one for a while as the only dark available on tap in a few pubs I've frequented. Reasons being: far more flavor than you would get from the macro straw-colored beers available, and less expensive than a truly nice beer. She's my go-to middle of the road dark. Quite a cheap date, Michelob Amber Bock.

2.95/5  rDev +2.8%

I end up drinking this dark beer more than I would like because it is usually available everywhere and is sometime the only dark around. The appearance and smell are average the taste has nothing that offends . A little watery. But still better than a lighter lager in my opinion

3.06/5  rDev +6.6%

This particular beer had a malty scent underneath a hearty head that stuck around for quite a while. I tasted a distant flavor of caramel, but it was mostly bitter from the hops. Overall, it looks great in the glass but was lacking from a watery taste that was mostly bitter.

3.41/5  rDev +18.8%

Amber Bock had in 16 oz plastic cup at Irish festival, four finger head

The color is amber brown, head is off white, almost cola colored

Taste: fairly complex for inBev... malt forward beer, bready, and toasty. As the beer warms a chocolate flavor appears.

Smell: malt

Mouthfeel: watery

Overall, this beer is what I would have if I only had a choice from domestic brews.

2.24/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

This beer is not significant in any way.

2.51/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down but consistently left patches of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of caramel malts in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of caramel malts along with a hint of malty sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied and a bit thin on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is a lot lighter in body compared to other beers in the style, making it easier to drink for people that are used to drinking American Adjunct Lagers and Light Lagers.

2.37/5  rDev -17.4%

A- pours a dark copper, cola like color with a good size foamy white head that reduces to a small layer, no lacing.

S- not much at all, a bit of faint sweet malt.

T- similar to smell, a bit of sweet malt, no hops traceable, seltzer water.

M- medium body and high carbonation. Too much carbonation for me, finishes a bit slick.

O- the color of this beer is very deceiving. You expect it to have a nice malty character, that is not the case. Another example of a watered down Michelob product from AB.

2.39/5  rDev -16.7%

OK. Having sampled around 250 different beers, I'm learning more and more every day. We all see, smell and taste differently. That being said...
From draft at the local casino;
Pours a nice deep dark amber like a good bock should.
Decent tan head like a good bock should have.
But that is.where the good characteristics ended for me.
Smells malty and sweet but stale.
Tastes like it smells. Malts, sweet caramel, but a dry stale flavor ruins it for me. While cold it seems too sweet for this style of beer. As it warms, the stale cardboard flavor overpowers the flavor making it difficult to finish. This is nothing like Celebrator or even old reliable Shinerbock. I guess I would drink it in a pinch, but I find it fair at best.
Unlike prev. Review, I cant find even the slightest resembelance to Guinness Extra Stout, or anything else.

3.7/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This review was made after Michelob turned this beer into a craft, non-adjunct lager.

A: Very dark brown, yet see through. White head.

S: Roasted malts all day long.

T: Almost Guinness extra stout like in taste. A lot of roasted flavors but much more watered down. But it is watered down in a good way. It keeps it unoffensive and keeps away the bitterness. Pretty smooth and very good tasting.

M: Kind of creamy but still fizzy and lager like. Kind of a coffee/chocolatey aftertaste.

O: I liked this beer a lot. Good with food, but not so much a session beer, though it could be done. For the price it can't be beat.

3.05/5  rDev +6.3%

A nice looking but unexceptional body. Honey-brown color with a thin white head.

There is the barest trace of roasted malt, perhaps a smidgeon of cocoa.

Taste is not bad at all. There is a distinct dark malt character with a faint bit of bitterness in the finish. Clean and dry finish.

The overall score reflects the quick disappearance of what good flavor and taste exists with this beer. Definitely a cut above more mundane beers from Budweiser or Miller, but otherwise unexceptional.

1.73/5  rDev -39.7%

I'm not partial to American mass market beers (although I am an American consumer). Disclosure: I did not even drink beer until I lived in Canada for a while--couldn't stand American beer. Now that I'm back I'm picky.

This tastes like the typical US fare--it's Michelob. It could easily be Bud, Miller, etc. but a slightly deeper lager (because it's a Bock).

Looking for a new beer to try I decided to sample the Amber Bock at the happy hour provided by the hotel I am staying at.

The appearance looked like a dark amber golden color which is nice to look at while drinking this beer.

I loved the hints of caramel and the sweet smell of vanilla. It did not have that skunky smell to it which I find somewhat offensive.

The taste is phenomenal. I could taste the sweetness and bitterness which gave a nice mouthfeel. I allowed the beer to sit in my mouth for 15 seconds and swirled it around a bit and it left me with a refreshing aftertaste. I would drink this beer over a light beer and while its not Leffe its a beer I would not be ashamed of drinking or serving at a party.

Overall this beer gets a 5/5 because the price is right, you are getting an American Bock Beer which can be served at anytime during the year with various foods. It was so good I asked for a second pour. With a lemon it gives a citrus aspect to the overall taste.

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch