Michelob AmberBock - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Bock |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: unclejimbay on 08-16-2001

Michelob AmberBock is brewed using 100% malt including dark-roasted black and caramel malts and all-imported hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob AmberBock Alström Bros
Reviews: 657 | Hads: 1,679
2.14/5  rDev -26.2%

Man, this beer smells funny. The guy at Budweiser school says, "Swirl the beer around in the glass. This will release the aromas in the beer."

Why on Earth did he tell us to do this!? It was okay for comparing the skunky Bud to the Fresh Bud, but Lordy, didn't you know people were going to try it with the Amber Bock?

HISTORY: If I am not mistaken, some primordeal version of this beer was given to me by my dad in a pizza parlor one day. While he ignorantly waxed poetic (as many dads do) about the bock beer being made from the bottom of the barrel, I glugged as much of the cold dark juice as I could to wash down my salty, greasy pizza. Of course, being a kid, I thought it was just dandy--that thar' bock beer--but little did I know that those few fateful sips would unleash a monster--Darth Malt, the bock jock from a galaxy far, far away.

I bet you're wondering when I'll get to the review. Too late! I dumped it [thought It'd make the Tucher Bajuvator even that much more savory].

This beer is neither amber nor bock. Kids love it, however!

Fight the good fight Shiner! (1,094 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +11%

This brew is not amber, has gone well beyond that...I did like this dark lager even though this type of brew is basically foreign to me. After I got by the appearance, the taste I found to be very mellow and well balanced...I thank BA for perking my interest to trying all these new brews. (289 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +14.8%

Murky brown color. A little deeper than clear. Thin, off-white to tan head. Some beer like malt smells matched with toasted corn. Taste is midly maltly, although hard to distinguish which are used. Thin feeling and somewhat watery finish.Semi-sweet finish, lingers but doesn't disrupt the taste buds. I drank it fast anticipating a hard to handle slick funky AB finish. But it was not that bad. Actually I found it better than I had anticipated. Is neither an amber or a bock though, just a catchy name for a dark lager. I'm not sure that it's not artificially colored too. Still better than ordering some things on tap in Florida. (631 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -3.1%

I appreciate Michelob's effort, a better AB product.

Brownish-amber colour with a thin, creamy lace that hangs around. Indistinguishable malted something in the nose, not bad, but jumbled and unimpressive. Very thin and hopfree upfront but followed by a solid malted nuttiness. Mild graininess and a sweetness that aint from the malts. Medium body that is crisp and has a fizzy, biting carbonation.

Certainly not a German bock, but a pretty exotic brew from AB. I held off for a long time to try this, and finally broke down and broke a sixer for one. It was worth my effort. How about yours? (598 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours to a medium-brown colow with an off-white head that quickly dissipates. Aroma is one of light malt; no hop aroma was detected. The taste is light roast malt, with a slight hop flavor. The mouthfeel is light-bodied, smooth, and carbonic. Overall this beer is light in every aspect, which makes it easy to drink. It however is sad that they try to market it as a Bock. Should not be associated with a Bock. It would be very misleading to a novice beer drinker looking to try a real Bock beer. (496 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -36.6%

Pours a clear dark caramel color with absolutely no head (?). The smell contains maybe a hint of light malt with a skunk being dominant. Fortunately doesn't taste as bad as it smells. Quite bland with faint notes of earthy grain and lightly hopped (almost none) and plenty of carb bite. Very plain for such a fancy label. Very light bodied and finishes very crisp and clean. Fairly drinkable if you don't smell first. AB is so scared they are going to put flavor in something. When I get through this fancy variety pack of bland beer...no more AB for me! Cheers! (562 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

pours to a semi-dark amber with a dying head that doesn't really leave any lace. it has an odor of malts along with that cheap A-B skunky aroma.

the last of my sampler pack was pretty unimpressive. the body is lacking it is thin and short on flavor. there are some malts hanging around, but not too much to it. something to make a macro drinker feel fancy. (360 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

As far as this being a mass produced beer it wasn't a bad attempt. Atleast they are trying. The color was really the only thing good about this beer. Dark, ruby, molassas in color. The head and lace were almost non-existent. The smell was slightly floral and malty. But really non-existent. The flavor had a malt, slight caramel,molassas, floral, carbonation taste to it. I asked a buddy to try a sip and he is a Coor;s man and said that it wasn't bad for Michelob. I agree, not bad for Michelob. (505 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -6.2%

Medium amber, weak head and lace. Lighter than I think it should be. Slightly syruppy sweet and spritzy. Husky corn like finish. Totally lacking in body. Obviously mean to give lawnmower beer drinkers the impression they are drinkingn something sophisticated. Goes down smooth. (279 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -18.6%

Pour a dark amber with a short-lived, artificial off-white head.
Aroma of carmel malt and large amounts of induced sweetness. Sugary to an obnoxious extent.
Taste is intially pleasant. Heavy on the carmel and vanilla tones. Becomes cloyingly sweet as it sits, and the adjunct flavors emerge. Corn syrup, layered on sucrose. Graininess lies below, but hard to detect past the sugar. It touts the use of all imported German hops....not even close. Hopping is not a factor.
Intially highly carbonated, which fades in a soda-like manner. After a few minutes, this one is totally flat, which adds to the syrup like sweetness.
Pathetic marketing attempt at a bock. Lacks any traits of a true one.
However, it is easily AB's best attempt. (755 characters)

3.04/5  rDev +4.8%

This is the first of Anheuser-Busch's "craft" brews that I have tried. I guess they finally realize that people nowadays are starting to convert to higher quality micros and imports, so they strike back with their series of specialty brews under the Michelob name. I must definately reiterate what other BAs have said: this is NOT a bock beer. This is simply a dark American lager. I'll even go a step further and say that this is probably a reformulated version of the old Michelob Classic Dark.

Well enough of the hooplah, here's the review: it pours a very nice mahogany brown color that is clear. The thin, off-white colored head disappears in a matter of seconds though. The smell is quite bland, as it smells like any other American lager, except with a tiny bit of caramel smell. The beer was more watery than I was expecting, and was quite fizzy, but felt very smooth. The taste was good, but nothing special. Moderate roasted malt taste and a little bit of hop bitterness, but the overall taste wasn't overpowering. The aftertaste was clean, except the infamous AB "green apple" taste returns, although not quite as pronounced as in their other beers. This beer even concludes with a tiny bit of alcoholic warmth.

My verdict? A good AB product. I find it amusing that this is supposed to be a specialty brew, and the label explicity says that it is brewed with rice. Try making an all malt brew next time, AB. (1,434 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +6.9%

My first Michelob, I expected more I think. It pours dark brown with a good fluffy high-carbon tan head. A bit week on lace. I found the body of the beer week as well.Its a drinkable beer for its very smooth, sweet malty taste over little hop.After-feel of mouth is dry but waterlike in finish. (294 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +9.7%

As others have said, it is an above average beer and should be tried before discounting it because it is made by AB. Dark amber in color with moderate carbonation and head. Slightly alcohol aroma which I deducted points for, but the flavor had a tinge of malt which I enjoyed. It could use more though for the bock name. Can usually be found fairly cheap which makes it all the more drinkable. (397 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Somewhat thinner than it could be, but this is a very drinkable beer. My friends like to criticize on this beer, but I think its a decent, well made brew. A touch more maltiness would help, but I've found it solidly enjoyable (227 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nothing all that special, but I believe this to be an above average beer. I had it on draught, which is probably why I think that. Nice dark color with little head. Some bitterness in the flavor...but I was just appreciative that there was flavor. (247 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -32.8%

Unbelievably white-bread. It is difficult to even find anything to comment on. I am not an expert on Bocks but hopefully this is not the norm. Too plain for anyone but regular Michelob drinkers who feel like they are taking a risk. (231 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

I have to admit, I was impressed with this one. Even though it comes from Anheiser Busch, this is well balanced, with a little malty feel to it. A nice aroma and a do-able head that laces towards the bottom of the glass. Prost! (230 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -3.4%

Nice and dark, tan head that. Slightly roasted on the nose with some fruit. Thinner then I expected. Not ovelry carbonated (which is refreshing). One of the better beers out of A-B. (181 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -13.4%

What's this? An AB product that actually has some taste? I'll be damned. Dark amber/brown, lots of bubbles, dissipating white head. Not much aroma at all. Taste is not unpleasant, with a sweet, malty, caramel flavor. A bit too much carbonation, leads to bloating. Overall, however, not as bad as you might otherwise expect from these guys. (339 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -2.4%

It's easy to drink but not worth the premium price. It has that classic Anheuser-Busch blandness and mediocrity, attributable to the neutral "house yeast" they use, no doubt. Nothing strips the soul from malted barley as completely as A-B house lager yeast and a tight series of filters. There is such a small hint of roasted malt character, that if you are not concentrating, you may miss. So if you are eating spicy food, engaged in stimulating conversation or otherwise distracted, you will miss the shadow of the character remaining in this beer and you might as well be drinking regular Michelob. (601 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -8.3%

Clear dark brown color. Big-bubbled "adjunct" head, foams down in short order. Sharp, acidic odor, much like most lighter colored macro lagers. Just the slightest hint of roasted malt flavor (touch of anise and sweetness), but very soon, attenuated by a crisp but non-descript hop and adjunct flavor. Very little body or mouthfeel. Aftertaste is nuetral rather than smacking of bitter-crisp carbonated water flavor. Nothing to recommend it but the color. At about a buck or so less a sixer than a standard micro, not even a good value. (542 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +6.9%

Light brown in color, typically clear from the lagering, filtering, fining... whatever. The head settles very quickly into a thin and unappetizing layer. The aroma is very mild-- a slight caramel sweetness becomes present only as the beer warms. Bland but clean in flavor. An unexpected light Munich malt toasted flavor becomes noticeable after the prickly, overly effervsecent mouthfeel subsides. Corn sweetness is thankfully minimal. There is no hop flavor whatsoever, but hop bitterness is definitely above the norm for an American macrobrew. Finishes very dry and neutral. (This is about as much a Bock as Shiner Bock is) Well, there aren't any flaws in this brew-- it's weak but super clean all around in profile, and I'll take it over any other American Dark Lager anyday. There's actually more than caramal coloring added to this one. Won't ever order it again, however. (882 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +14.8%

Not to shabby for A-B. A bock though...I don't think so. Pours a nice clear amber color. Very refreshing brew, easy to drink, with a nice clean taste. Not bad at all...I would say the best from A-B that I have had so far. (221 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -28.3%

Any so called premium that sports a label trumpeting the fact they use rice in the beer should be taken behind the shed and shot. It looks like a rich dark beer, but its an illusion. Its a pale imitation of a dark beer with that grainy Bud aftertaste. Pass on it. (265 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -11%

Had this on tap the first time at a dinner and it worked well, I honestly enjoyed the smooth malty taste, so I bought a case.

The more of the case I drank, the less I liked the beer, which is never a good sign.

A chemical type tastes that just did'nt seem right began making themselves known and that was the end of my Amber bock days. (341 characters)

Michelob AmberBock from Anheuser-Busch