Michelob Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001

Michelob Light is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Light Alström Bros

Had a can of this and a can of Labatt Blue Light at a Bluejackets game. Back and forth I went between the two, back and forth, Labatt and Michelob, Michelob and Labatt. There literally was no difference. Both had next to no aroma or flavor. Both sucked sour frog ass. Taste tests between two crappy beers are not fun. At least they were free.

1.03/5  rDev -56.2%

Reviewed from notes. Nothing like a "100" list to urge on old review entry.

Pours with about a quarter of the color density of straw with the thinest of thin white heads. Nose brings forth light grain and cardboard. Taste brings the same. Almost so light it's hard to find even those flavors. Feel is way overly carbonated and drinks poorly. Light, cardboard-soaked seltzer water.

1.1/5  rDev -53.2%

First had: ?

Probably the best light / T&A TV-ad beer I've had. Again: that ain't saying much. But if I was at a grungy dive with a choice of Bud, Miller, Coors, and Michelob Light, I'd...uh, kill myself.

Pours between a pale straw color and water, with much carbonation and a small white head that disappears quickly. Stale hops and skunk on the nose. Not much in the flavor department other than what was received in the nose. Light, thin, and watery. Goes down easy. To be avoided.

1.11/5  rDev -52.8%

I am not sure why AB has treated their Michelob offering this way. I can not find the lager anywhere. If I happen across it, it is in 12 pack - ONLY!!!!!!!!! Now, on a lark, I decide to try their "light" version of this (once) classic brew. After trying it....... um......... maybe something (ANYTHING!!) else??

There is no aroma or "nose", the color is light and so is the flavor (if there is any!!!) of this.......um..... drink? It is not bad, but that is only because it is in "stealth" mode. You cant see it, smell or taste it, but it is in your glass, really, it is. I promise. I tried one bottle. I could have the same experience by drinking a glass of water. Well, the water would be a little cheaper.

1.13/5  rDev -51.9%

What was I thinking? I got this bottle from a friend who had another friend who left it in his fridge. Me am the dummy. But what the heck, let's see what this offers...

Poured the lightest color I've ever seen in this beer glass. I'm not all that familiar with light beers, so maybe this is par for the course, but it does not look appetizing. It's almost clear, with a sun-faded yellow tint to it. Weird. It smells of corn and aluminum. Awful. The head dies quickly.

The label makes this claim: "Smooth, Rich, Flavorful..."

Let's dissect that:
"Smooth": Not exactly. The flavor is like highly carbonated beer-flavored water. It's hard to discern any real flavor at all, but it wouldn't be my defintion of smooth because I can hardly swallow it without feeling disgusted by what's in my mouth. Grimbergen Blonde is smooth. Guinness Extra Stout is smooth. Michelob Light is offensive.

"Rich": This is a joke, right? Rich? This is a light beer! Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout is rich. Hebrew Jewbelation is rich. Bell's North Coast Old Ale is rich. This is...crap.

"Flavorful": Wow, now we're really getting into the false advertising area. Other than corn dominance and a mineral kickback--which is not at all earthy-tasting--there isn't any real flavor at all.

Why would anyone drink this? You want a session beer? There are better beers out there for sessioning. You want cheap? There are better cheap beers out there. You want to watch your weight? Try exercising once in a while, stop eating shit, and stick with the truly flavorful beers.

1.15/5  rDev -51.1%

This beer smells vaguely like briny bathwater. Dead skin aromas dominate while meager seaweed and fish head notes struggle to emerge. Limp, lifeless "flavor" of ... well actually, it has no flavor. It does have an aftertaste though. While the pleasant parade of hay-bubbles crackle to a conclusion over my tongue, there is evidence of rice syrup.

"born" on August 6, 2003

1.15/5  rDev -51.1%

Poured a clear, pale yellow with a HUGE head of coarse bubbles that was gone in 15 seconds. Absolutely no lace.
Smell was minimal, just some hops and a hint of vinegar hiding in the background.
Taste, what there was of it, was just hops. A bitterness, not from the hops, comes on at the end and gets much more pronounced as the beer warms up until this stuff becomes completely undrinkable.
Mouthfeel is just fizzy, no body at all. It feels like bitter, fizzy water, which it is.
Drinkability: Why?
With so many quality lagers available to purchase, I cannot fathom why anyone would choose this dreck. No flavor, no redeeming qualities at all unless it is ice-cold and you have nothing else to drink.

1.21/5  rDev -48.5%

Light gold color, medium head. VERY light bodied beer. Very little taste or flavor. Some malt and hops. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is very slightly bitter, slightly lemony. Nothing bad about this beer, nothing very good about it either. At least there is some taste to this light beer. It is light and refreshing, but wish it had some more flavor.

1.28/5  rDev -45.5%

Appearance: Pours a sickly pale golden straw color. Don't blink, or you'll miss the fleeting bubbly white head. Lacing is but a watery film.

Smell: Almost devoid of smell. At most, the steam off of a kettle of boiling corn. Not unpleasant, because lacking in any aromatic qualities.

Taste: Soak a piece of bread in a glass of water, and you'll achieve the flavor of Michelob Light. Biscuity malts are about the only beer-like property.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, watery, and barely carbonated. This is beer? Could've fooled me.

Drinkability: Could conceivably drink about a dozen, but the question is, do I want to? The lack of enjoyment derived from this beer is the biggest knock against its drinkability.

1.32/5  rDev -43.8%

Had this beer on Thanksgiving.. it was the only thing the host had to offer. I can't believe that people buy this crap and keep it on hand. Who looks forward to cracking one of these open?

Very watery. Low carbonation. I guess if you don't really like the taste of beer and you want something easy to drink, this is the beer that you would go for. But why not just have a soda instead, having something that tastes good?

Not worth trying.

1.33/5  rDev -43.4%

This is a very light straw colored beer with some head and no noticable aroma. The taste is a significant disappointment (there was none), but not bad when compared to its style (competing against water, perrier, and low cal tonic water). Mouthfeel compares to that of other watery drinks. Drinkability is the high point of this alchoholic substance. Due to it's lack of substantial consistency or flavor, it could honestly be consumed in mass quantities. Just like water. If you consider yourself a lover of beer, I would steer clear of this offering. If you like to drink heavily for the purpose of mass consumption and drunkeness without becoming full or consuming mass calories, this is what you need.

1.35/5  rDev -42.6%

Poured into a pint glass.
Its one of the palest beers I've ever had. Pours with a small white head that disappears very quickly. Smell is all malt adjunct (mostly corn). Taste? I don't think it has any. Tastes like a piece of wonder bread was stuck in seltzer water for a while then served as beer. Why buy this when you could get something good? Or getting something equally bad for half the price? I'm never having this again.

1.37/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours a five-finger white head that quickly fades to a ring leaving no lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Very light carbonation and light bodied. Grassy nose. Flavor is sweet grass, clean finish. Very one dimensional, who drinks this stuff? $1.75 for a 12oz bottle from Barb's Beer Emporium Concord, NH.

1.38/5  rDev -41.3%

I thought bad beer was supposed to be inoffensive.

There's a hop-like taste in this beer that's absolutely repugnant. Its like bitter wood-chips or something.

I've actually been able to tolerate alot of A-B's products lately as they're dirt cheap and super-available and i'm pour, but even at a free keg I wasn't drinking this.

Noble hop flavor? Wretched.

1.4/5  rDev -40.4%

This review is the second half of Macro Smackdown V, the other half being Miller High Life Light. The Miller product comes in the standard aluminum can and this beer comes in the new canottle/bottcan. It's an interesting look that seems a little girlie to me. I'd be embarrassed to be seen holding one (yeah, like that'll ever happen outside the confines of this purely scientific exercise). On to the show...

Light yellow-amber. Although not quite light enough to be called straw, noticeably lighter than the High Life. The head is also simple white with no drabness or off-colors. The substance of the foam is better here, in that it looks smooth and fluffy. However, it falls more quickly and doesn't leave any lace.

This nose is less sweet than its competitor and is more musky/spicy. I have a hard time believing that I'm actually smelling hops, but... could be... could be. As far as which one is preferable, I'd have to go with the High Life Light. The fruitiness gives it a leg up. Although I generally like musky/spicy, the Michelob Light nose doesn't quite do it for me.

Nasty. There's no other way to adequately describe the flavor. Michelob Light is one of the worst tasting beers of any style that has ever crossed my palate. It has that adjuncty, grainy flavor that all macro lagers possess, but it suffers in comparison to the other Big Three light lagers that I've sampled (nothing like being inferior to inferior beer). There's an off-putting sourness that makes it even harder to get down, as opposed to a sweetness that tends to make this sort of beer more drinkable; at least to me.

There's no difference between the mouthfeels, at least none that I could pick up on a final sip or two. I'm not about to drink any more of either one of these in order to discern some small difference in mouthfeel. I think I've been more than selfless in bringing you, the discriminating beer consumer, this comparative information and I'm simply unwilling to pour more of this stuff over my pleading taste buds and down my throat.

Michelob Light is the clear loser of Macro Smackdown V. That's not to say that Miller High Life Light is any great shakes, but this beer just rolled over and quit (flavor-wise). A more pathetic showing I have rarely seen. The new canottle/bottcan didn't do squat. Gosh, and I really expected it to. Stay away from Mich Light. Stay very... very... far away.

1.43/5  rDev -39.1%

Pours a clear yellow with lots of carbonation and a fizzy white head. Smells like grassy hops and pale malt. The taste is super light. Possibly a slight malt presence? Body is soda like and has a bit of a bite to it. I don't mind lagers with no flavor, but they probably shouln't give me the bitter beer face. Not too drinkable due to the bite. Oh well, at leat I'm not going to get fat off of this one.

1.48/5  rDev -37%

Somehow I find myself rating every American-style pale lager the same. That saddens me. There is, once again, no taste other than water, grains, and slight metallic hop flavors. Doesn't smell that great, the looks are nothing special. It's a light beer. Zero points for originality and would not buy or drink.

1.5/5  rDev -36.2%

Mich Light: even my macro swilling friends had to admit that this was one poor looking beer. Weak yellow color, so much so that I had a macro swiller claiming that it was not a bad thing if a beer looked like urine. Must I review it? Ok, yellow, no head, no body, no hops, no taste, no nothing! Better than bud, but who gives a rodents rump?

1.56/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Diet beer that looks like some water that had a little bit of beer spilled in it. Carbonated decently with lace even. I guess I would say this smells like stagnant water.

Taste, slightly better than some diet beers. Reminiscient of the metallic diet generic soda taste. Uhm, there does seem to be more hops in it than your average diet beer, but that's like saying this dog turd is shinier than another's.

What knob pays more than $1 per beer for this stuff? $6.99 at Walmart. Not drinkable.

1.56/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a golden color lager with a fizzy pure white head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with light corn notes is bland and not that enjoyable. Taste is also a bland mix between some sweet malt with light adjunct notes (I know the label states all-malt lager but I have a hard time believing this). Body is light with good carbonation. Bland lager and not something that need to be revisited.

1.62/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Serving type - bottle

Appearance - This is beer? Thin, watery, just about clear.

Smell - Sort of smells like grass. Not something strong like Kentucky Bluegrass, but more of an open field; weak and airy.

Taste - Ugh. The first drink is ok, but beyond that it has to be choked down. Terribly bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Feels like club soda, except missing the consistancy.

Drinkability. If you can drink more than one of these, my hat's off to you.

What's the difference between this and water? Water doesn't give you a headache.

1.63/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured from a sharp looking aluminum bottle. Does this count as a bottle, since it is can material? Who knows. Clear straw color, barely any head visible. Smell? What smell? Barely grainy, and I mean barely. Taste is also lightly grainy. No decent malt presence, no hops to speak of. What a weak POS beer. Skip it.

1.64/5  rDev -30.2%

If there is such a thing, yesterday (a warm, sunny day) seemed the best time to try a light beer. I was outdoors, at a fair, and gave Michelob Light a try. I'm sorry that I did. Over-carbonated, with absolutely no taste, the beer was repulsive.

1.65/5  rDev -29.8%

First, let me say I don't consider "light" beer to be real beer. I tried this with reservations, but a friend of mine swears by it. Michelob Light pours extremely light yellow. Forget a head or any other good looks. Taste is watered down swill. Very chemical like twang. I had trouble finishing this. I was actually pissed off that a beer this expensive is so awfull.

1.65/5  rDev -29.8%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle with easy to spot "born on" date -- in this case 5/03/03.

Appearance: Pours a wan yellow with a small, snow-white head; no retention or lacing.

Aroma; As with most macros, largely clean -- albeit with faint traces of cooked corn or the like.

Taste: Lightly sweet upfront with a sallow bitterness in the finish; traces of corn, grain and a flavor I think of as "macro-skunk" pervade. Thin, crisp mouthfeel.

Notes: 130 calories -- about 20-30 less than almost *any* 5% ABV beer.

Michelob Light from Anheuser-Busch