Michelob Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001

Michelob Light is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Light Alström Bros
firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
3.54/5  rDev +45.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled this evening on 7/9/14 and had this one many times over the years but surprised they still made it as I haven't seen it. Love the old 'lava lamp' style brown bottle it came in 20 years ago. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage 'Michelob" glass goblet.

Pours a lighter golden color with a very thin white head that settles just to around the sides of the glass. Very little spotty lacing is seen but not much really. The aroma isn't much, just of some grassy grain for the most part with a hint of sweet corn. The taste is about the same with a slight sweet finish. Much more flavor and tastes better than their more popular "Michelob Ultra" which I didn't care much for. Medium carbonation. Overall, not bad and close to the flavor from 20 years ago that I remember. (819 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +45.5%

Enjoyed from a bottle into a "cut-off" Pilsner glass at Racquets Pub in Chesterfield, MO.

Appearance- Great amount of lace on the side of the glass as the "pond-like" head disappeared quickly. Golden Yellow with a single string of carbonation coming from the middle.

Smell- A light but crisp smell. Corn as usual with these light beers.

Taste- Nice amount of grain taste and seems like water is a 95% ingredient in this beer.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, smooth, and Refreshing. Great!

Drinkability- Enjoyed 3 back to back all poured into this interesting pilsner glass. The drinkability is unreal on these as well as they go down easier than ever. Loving the beer from Saint Louis lately! (691 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +45.5%

It pours a yellow gold with a small head of foam.

The smell is grainy with a sweetish note. Typical smell from the big boys of brewing.

The taste is of light grain, some malt sweetness, and a decent hop bitterness. Overall, pretty flavourful for a light lager and one of best of the style that I've tried. (307 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +46.3%

Very nice flavored beer for a light beer, it's sort of a good beer watered down. Kind of sweet, it's alright, not great though, but then again it's a light beer.
I tried to look at the beer out of the bottle and it seemed nice for a light beer.
Decent mouthfeel and decent drinkability (288 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +50.4%

I will openly cop to having once been a big consumer of Michelob. My uncle always had it in the fridge when he would come east every summer and I simply followed his lead until Rolling Rock really took off while I was in Cali with the navy. I wonder what its Light iteration may be like, but thanks to Tone77 and The CANQuest (TM), I am about to find out! CAN I get some love?

From the CAN: "All-Malt Light Lager" - really?!? That was one of the pluses of original Mich - NO adjuncts. Good. Also, "AmeriCAN-style light lager brewed with a blend of Hallertau, Strissel Spalt and other hop varieties." Zounds!

The Crack & Glug proceeded as usual, with a short moment of panic as the creamy, bone-white head began to approach the lip of the glass. Fortunately, I know what to do in such situations and backed off of my pour. Great head retention, BTW. Color was a light lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was light with a citrusy spiciness that was truly unexpected. It was like lemon zest with a mild biscuitiness. Mouthfeel was medium with a lemony taste on the tongue along with an attendant bite or snap. Dang, this is pretty good! Finish had more of a biscuit taste, but the lemon was still there. It reminded me of Archway Lemon Snap cookies. Completely unexpected! The only knock on this was its watery mouthfeel. I would bring this in the cooler for those who are into Light beers, but I am not a calorie counter, plus I am betting that this is sold at the "Premium" price range and I would not want a case at those prices. (1,539 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +51.2%

Although I am not a huge fan of Anheuser-Busch in general, I am a fan of the Michelob brand. There's many beers under the Michelob banner that I find myself never refusing, under any circumstance. With that being said, time to add another one to the stable...

Appearance (3.25) : 2 finger yellowish off-white head, disintegrates into a 1 finger within seconds, and then finally a ring. The body is pale straw colored, 100% transparent.

Aroma (3.5) : Fresh malt, barley, fresh hop, rice, a little straw. There's not much to it but it's a very crisp, clean smelling beer. Smells better than Michelob "Golden" Light.

Flavor (3.75) : Crisp, malty notes, with rice and barley with a little straw. The faintest hint of hop finishes out the taste. This is a fantastic tasting light beer. There's a couple faint off notes but they are not bad. It's not as easy drinking as Michelob Golden Light, but the flavor is definitely more broad and delicious.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Light to medium bodied (yes I meant that), buzzing carbonation and a smooth crisp finish.

Overall (3.69) : As I sit here with a Golden Light and a regular Light next to each other (I stopped my review and pulled a MGL from the fridge), the Michelob Light tastes much better and has better flavor. Where the Golden Light has grassy straw and corn, Michelob Light has rice, barley, and faint hop. It's not as easy drinking or unoffensive as Michelob Golden Light, nor is it near as cheap, but I have to say the regular Light is the superior beer. (1,511 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +51.6%

OK, maybe I'm drinking a different Michelob Light since the reviews from March 2010, but I actually have no complaints about this one. It's a Light beer that goes down quite smooth. I enjoyed it, but still prefer the beer I brew myself.

Appearance - Pale yellow with a moderate carbonation. A decent poured head with some substantial lacing. The head dissipated after about 2 minutes but left a decent remnant of what it once was when poured.

Smell - Hops are noticeable, though the beer comes across as sort of sweet and malty. It smells better than Coors Light.

Taste - Initial taste is dry but clean. No metallic flavor at all. It made me want another sip and then I finished it. Definitely an American Light Lager.

Mouthfeel - Very light, but has some depth. Slightly over carbonated but acceptable for an inexpensive light beer.

Drinkability - Like I said... goes down smooth! it was what I expected from a Michelob Light. Could definitely throw back a few of these at a backyard barbecue. (999 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +51.6%

I poured this average bland brew into my tumbler at 50 degrees. I would not normally waste my time rating a domestic beer but my wife drinks these and said why not? So. The beer poured a nice blond color, clear and sparkling. The head was white with tinly little bubbles that did not last long at all.The smell was breadty and yeasty. The taste was crisp and clean for sure. Good chick beer. I would drink this beer on a really hot summer day. (443 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +53.3%

I cannot believe that this beer is not as popular as other light American beers. Its much better than Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light. Super drinkable, real malt and hop flavor, and some lacing make this light lager my go to light beer. Don't waste your time with Michelob Ultra. Michelob Light is much better. (319 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +54.9%

Bottle: Poured a golden color lager with a fizzy pure white head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with light corn notes is bland and not that enjoyable. Taste is also a bland mix between some sweet malt with light adjunct notes (I know the label states all-malt lager but I have a hard time believing this). Body is light with good carbonation. Bland lager and not something that need to be revisited. (426 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +57.4%

A-very clear pale to gold color with a large white head that did not fade fast
S-can smell the noble hops and grainy aroma
T-maltier than the other light lagers, with a hop aftertaste that goes to a sweet grain finish
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-if you grade this beer on on what it has compared to what it is suppose to be, then it was better than most. (364 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +62.3%

michelob light was an above average light beer. It went down very smooth and I enjoyed it. However I was expecting more taste, the bottle says brewed with imported hops but to tell you the truth this beer tasted very similar to the less pricey Michelob Golden Draft Light sold here in minnesota. It was very easy to down the 12 pack I bought. If you are ever in Minnesota or Its border states save some money and buy Mich Gold Light (432 characters)

All imported hops??? We'll see

Appearance-a sparkling yellow lager, nice head at first but dissapears fast, looks appealing anyways.

Smell- Finally, a light beer that smells like light beer, lots of barley there and corn comes out as well. At least I can actually smell it.

Taste- Very flavorful, I like Michelob brews, maybe it's just me but they pack a nice punch to the mouth, even this light version, I'm very impressed.

Mouthfeel-despite the nice influx of flavors the beer is not overbearing, goes down nice, good aftertaste.

Drinkability- this is most definitely a great light beer that one can keep drinking for as long as he desires, well into the night.

Overall- I'm surprised many don't like this brew a lot, I found a lot of flavor in its taste, a nice refreshing light beer that is leaps and bounds above its competitors. For a good light beer you can't go wrong. (895 characters)

Light straw color with a decent to low white head and decent carbonation. Light grainy aroma with a touch of hops .. seems all malt as there was little to no cooked corn aroma. Tastes the same with a touch of hops to balance the malts. Light bodied but smooth.

Very nice macro and not harsh in any way; very drinkable.

Label states: "All imported hops", 134 cal., 11.7g carb, 1.1g protien, 0g fat.

Born on: 04/26/04
Tasted: 06/16/04 (442 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +66.4%

I think this beer has an above average taste that doesn't bite but is full bodied and flavorable. I perfer a glass bottle over the can or tap. To me it is a much richer beer than it's brouther Ultra that taste much closer to water. My only problem is it seems that Michelob Light is fading out of the picture. I am having difficulty finding my favorite beer in the market place. I guess that is why this is known as Dad's beer but the yuppie beer Ultra just does't measure up for me. (483 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +70.9%

Still one of my favorite light beers! If i want an agreeable light beer that most people can drink, that will still give me some sence of forfillment, this is it. Much more flavor than most other light beers. Not as flavorfull as most lagers or sam adams light, it is still far superior to the bud light, coors light genre or beers. (332 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +75.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Michelob Light brewed by Anheuser-Busch, with an ABV of 4.3% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. The smell is rich with grains and malts. There is a hit of hops in the smell of this brew. The taste is light, but is bold with flavor. Michelob Light has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering in it. The mouthfeel is light, rich and smooth. I really like the taste of this light brew, Michelob Light has flavor for being a light beer. There is nothing bad about this brew. Overall I'm giving Michelob Light a 4.5 out of 5. Michelob Light is not a bad light beer, I would buy this brew again. (636 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +76.2%

I had to buy this once I saw the lava lamp bottle was back!

I paid $8.99 for a 12pack at the supermarket, what the heck... if I didn't drink it, my wife would.

I'm basing my review on the beer style...
Macro Brewery / Light Beer

Anyway, on to the new/old Michelob Light...

I did this beer the honor of pouring it in to a pint glass (normally I would drink a beer of this style "straight out da bottle"). It was a golden color, lots of carbination, little head and some lacing.

it smelled almost like beer.

it tasted pretty darn good compared to it's MacroLight peers.

It felt good in the mouth, kind of fizzy but finished clean.

I could drink lots of this beer when so inspired to do so.

Example: I could bring a case of this over to my bro-in-law's house, knock it off with him during a Yankee game and feel no pain in the morning. (863 characters)

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last