Michelob Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001

Michelob Light is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Light Alström Bros
1.65/5  rDev -29.8%

Okay, I am not a fan of light beers. This is obviously better than than their Bud Light and Natural Light, but still nothing to write home about. Very little body, taste or character to it. When will somebody get the light beers right?

1.66/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

This beer is unavailable in my home province of Alberta, but I had a bunch of bottles of this on my trip to Las Vegas. Casino Royale had bottles of this swill for $1, which in Alberta is absolutely unheard of even for the worst beer. Our hotel was only a short walk from Casino Royale, so my friends and I took part in this offer several times.

This beer is pretty awful. I had one and immediately went back to regular Michelob. Water doesn't begin to describe it. No, No, no.

1.68/5  rDev -28.5%

7 oz mini bottle.

One finger of head that dissipated into nothing in under 20 seconds. Smells of cheap American swill beer and adjuncts, but nothing too strong or offensive. Not much taste, and hard to pick up on what little there is. Bit of a subtle yet odd aftertaste. Felt like water in the mouth; fail. This might be drinkable to some, but it just lacks the taste to be a session beer for me.

Overall: if you're going to drink something in this category, you're drinking crap beer. Why spend the extra money for Michelob when you can get much the same undesirable traits from Keystone or Natty for much less, and without much of a difference in taste? Poor value; the next time I pay for cheap American beer (which won't be for a long while) I'll just go for the cheap stuff.

1.69/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This is my girlfriend's favorite, so I borrowed one to review. 7 oz pony bottle, served cold, into a small Michelob glass. Pours a clear, pale yellow body with lively carbonation. Minimal white head quickly falls into a scant collar. No lacing, but to its credit the body has more depth of color than the Coors Original I recently reviewed.
Aroma leaves me speechless. Wordless, is a better term. Faint grain and a vague note of herbal hop, after some imaginative sipping.
Mouthfeel is light bodied with lively carbonation.
Taste must be well balanced and even, as all I can say is that it's crisp and clean. Not too sweet, not too bitter, but hardly any of either.
Easy to drink, just like cold and refreshing carbonated water. A typical fizzy, tasteless, American macro light and nothing more.

1.7/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a thin yellowish straw color with a thick rocky white head and no lacing. Smells of corn and some grain, hops are nowhere to be found. Tastes quite awful. Like corn on the cob in a biscuit. Mouthfeel is super thin and the drinkability is fairly decent for something that tastes like horse piss.

1.7/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This isn't terrible but I just don't see the point. For whatever reason I find this one to be even more watery than a lot of other light beer swill. However, that's almost like saying Aquafina is more watery than Poland Spring. Very pale yellow color with some straw or hay taste. Nothing offensive just nothing really to it.

1.7/5  rDev -27.7%

Wow, I haven't killed a soldier in awhile. This one definitely went down the drain after four sips. Thank god it was free. Pours a pale yellow. Smells crisp, light, and sweet (to its credit I guess). Tastes awful, like theres nothing but adjuncts and sugar. Very grainy. Thin mouthfeel, high carbonation. If it were cold and stayed cold I could probably finish it, but this is basically re-labeled Bud Light to me...

1.71/5  rDev -27.2%

I went to a friends house in FL (here for the weekend) and he handed me a Michelob Light... I should've asked him what I did wrong to deserve it. It was horrid.

First is smelled darn near rancid but lightly so. If you ~tried~ to take a good whiff it'd hurt you and kill some brain cells. Veyr light yellow with a chemi-head that doesn't stick. It has a 'snap' to the taste but leaves residue and after-taste I could do without.

Again, light beer just doesn't make sense and Michelight isn't any different.

1.71/5  rDev -27.2%

Every once in a while one must drink a mass produced beer to remind us why we love microbrews so much. I love Michelob for this reason.
Michelob is a pretty beer. Light in color allowing you to see the carbonation bubble to a thick rich-looking head. The smell was almost non-existant. Almost watery. That's where the taste comes in. watery. I don't know what they did, but I found no trace of hops anywhere on my palet.

1.73/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Why did I get this, oh for fun I suppose.

Pours straw yellow, maybe a wee bit darker than your average light macro.

No smell except for the slightest hint of malt

Tastes a very light malt, but mostly like a seltzer water.

Mothfeel is like seltzer water.

Overall drinkability is very east cause it is like fizzy water. What tiny bit of beer flavor I detected was not bad, but that kinda sucks for me cause I like having flavor in my beer. Oh well.

1.75/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured this brew in my glass and watched as the thin head went south in twenty seconds. Little lacing, little cling. Color is amber, a little darker than most light beers, rating a 4 on the SRM chart. Smells like corn, rice, and wheat...slightly sweet. Tastes of barley, wheat, corn and rice, with a slight hop finish. Watery in my mouth, too much carbonation, bites at my tongue. I could probably drink a bushel full and not get much of a buzz. Another light beer that is just lacking in everything to be worth paying for, none the less drinking. Most likely my first and last.

1.77/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains adjuncts, light caramelized malts, and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready from a thin malt character and adjuncts. Then some light malt sweetness comes in. The hops presence is extremely mild. There doesn’t seem to me much balance only because there isn’t much in the beer to balance out. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: A little crisp and not very smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not flavorful at all, goes down easily and not too filling since there isn’t much to the beer, very mild kick, not the best representation of style, even for a light beer this one isn’t very good.

1.79/5  rDev -23.8%

Pale gold color with a good size white head with fair retention which leaves some lacing. Smells of cooked vegetables and some grain. Disappointing. There is no hop aroma.

The beer taste much like it smells. Cooked vegetables, grain, and a small amount of sweetness. Nothing to get excited about.

As expected, light bodied, thin and watery, with decent carbonation. This is not a beer I would seek out again.

1.8/5  rDev -23.4%

[bottle - 12 oz] Not a bad light beer. Has a sickly pale yellow color with mild carbonation. Light aroma with some mild grass and corn hints. Weak taste of hops, grass, corn and some dry malts. Very watery. No head. Not a beer I would get again I do not think.

1.82/5  rDev -22.6%

I rate this compared to "good" beers...compared to most light beers this one isn't bad...I'm not sure if they use rice in this one but it definitely has a different flavor..I'm guessing they do use rice..A bit more flavor than most light beers but at 130 plus calories I would hope so...As light beers go this is pretty decent, and on a hot summer day I could handle a few of these, but compared to "good beers" it just doesn't rate.

1.83/5  rDev -22.1%

Well, I'm curious what niche this beer is supposed to fill. If you want a macrolager, you won't bother with lite. If you're calorie/carb conscious (and flavor immune), won't you get one of the myriad Michelob Ultra options?

Pours yellow. Inch or two head. Smells like ... nothing really. Maybe a whiff o' malt.

Taste isn't horribly unpleasant. Not that much skunk, some light malt flavoring. No hops, fruit, etc. Thin and watery, of course.

I'd avoid if at all possible.

1.84/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Re-review, because I felt like I my old review was too generically mean spirited. That, and bile fascination.

A: Pours a VERY light straw color with perfect clarity and strong carbonation rising to the head. White colored head with pathetic retention/lacing.

S: There is a noble aspect to this beer...granted, it's pretty unrefined, but the fact that it exists in a light macro is stunning. Otherwise features the typical grainy note (in this case, rice, not corn) of most light macros.

T: Not good, but expectedly not good. There is a slightly rough tone of rice adjuncts at first, and that slimy aftertaste I detest in most adjuncts, but otherwise, there's almost no flavor at all. You could pound these, but why would you want to? Just pound water instead!

M: Seltzer water-esque.

O: It's good for one thing: when for whatever reason, you're pounding beers like a madman and don't want to seem as hoi polloi as the typically redneck Bud Light drinkers. That's it. People, I drink this stuff so you don't have to, so just get some real beer instead. Might I suggest some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale?

1.85/5  rDev -21.3%

1. start with a good beer
2. leave in the sun for a week
3. pour out
4. train dog to piss in bottle
5. drink

Come on you really didn't expect much I hope.
This one is fine for a hot summer BBQ if your homeless, otherwise pony up the dough for a respectable beer. If you drink this, please don't visit this site often, and never, ever claim to be a Beer Advocate while you're holding this swill.
Have some damn pride.

1.87/5  rDev -20.4%

Lackluster and tasteless. Looks light yellow and brightly clear. Overly carbonated and lacks head retention or lacing. Tastes low malty or sweet. Grainy and cornlike. Slightly metalic and astringent. Tastes similar to smell. Hard on the toung and palate because of the carbonation. Thin and scrubbed to the palate. No malt or hop flavor or balance to mention. Light and powdery finish with a grainy, metalic aftertaste. Aside from all of its poor qualities, it's not offensive; but neither is water. All of it's beer-like qualities disolve as soon as it hits the palate.

1.87/5  rDev -20.4%

Bland, watery, and boring. This beer is extremely light. The flavor is of corn and water. Pours a pale yellow without a head. This is water with a hint of skunky grain. Worse than bud light. They actually made a light version of water with gold hue and has only 123 calories!!!

1.87/5  rDev -20.4%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

A: Like pale yellow water. No head at all. Highly disappointing.

S: Smells like.. nothing. Very slight corniness -- that's it.

T: Sweet corniness is _very_ slight here. Slight metallic tinge. Drying aftertaste. I'm not sure I could reliably differentiate between this beer and water, to be honest, by taste alone.

M: Thin, watery. Clean and to-style.

D: Might be nice with spicy food, but water will serve the same purpose. Save your money for a beer with some flavor -- this one simply has none.

1.88/5  rDev -20%

Um...not sure what to say about this. Not much of a beer. Not much in the way of flavor, not much in the way of anything. Piss color, no nose, very subtle candy malt flavor. And that's about it. No real point in drinking it - if you're looking for a light beer, get something better (Yuengling, Sam Adams Light) or cheaper (BMC?). No point going here.

1.9/5  rDev -19.1%

Reading the commercial description made me laugh when I saw super-premium light beer. Never knew there was such a thing. This beer sucks like most American light pale lagers. No taste, too much carbonation, etc. Not really that offensive, just lacking everything from taste to aroma.

1.94/5  rDev -17.4%

I've recently converted my Dad over to better brews and these were left from a BBQ and admittedly he didn't want one either. Keep an open mind... Keep an open mind...

12oz bottle into a chilled Pilsner glass. It has a 'Born On' (which I hate) date of 06AUG08 best within 110 days. Just what I love with my beer, math problems... Also, I can't remember the last twist off cap I had. Moving on.

A - I gave it the straight down the center pour. 1 finger bright white head fades to next to nothing quickly. Not the worst looking lager ever I suppose.

S - Kind of a skunky malt? Wet corn husk.

T - Not good. Like stagnant water with some bubbles. Zero character and on my 4th sip I'm thinking of calling it quits. I press on.

M - Taking care not to inhale on this sip, it feels like seltzer.

D - Only if there is no other possible choice. And I'm pretty resourceful.

1.95/5  rDev -17%

12 oz brown glass twist
Very plae and clear. Does form a nice, long-lasting head that is quit respectable. Smell is very lacking, so I gave it a rock-bottom score. Very light in taste, slightly sweet, with hops doing very little as well. A little bitter, leaving virtually no aftertaste. The beer has so little taste that it's easy to drink, but you have to wonder why you would want to.

Michelob Light from Anheuser-Busch