Michelob Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001

Michelob Light is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 796 | Reviews: 201
1.65/5  rDev -23.3%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle with easy to spot "born on" date -- in this case 5/03/03.

Appearance: Pours a wan yellow with a small, snow-white head; no retention or lacing.

Aroma; As with most macros, largely clean -- albeit with faint traces of cooked corn or the like.

Taste: Lightly sweet upfront with a sallow bitterness in the finish; traces of corn, grain and a flavor I think of as "macro-skunk" pervade. Thin, crisp mouthfeel.

Notes: 130 calories -- about 20-30 less than almost *any* 5% ABV beer.

2.4/5  rDev +11.6%

This is better than most macros. Even though I costs a bit more I would still get it if I were going to drink a light lager for the night over other macros. Not much in taste but that's better than the others. Pretty smooth and creamy which is kind of surprising. A little better that others in it's field, but that still doesn't mean it's good.

2.78/5  rDev +29.3%

A pale yellow beer, just slightly golden. Minimal head (not aggressively poured, though) fizzled away at double time pace.

Aroma - sorry, but I really couldn't pick up much at all on the nose, just a common 'beer' smell, perhaps a tinge grassy.

Taste - just the faintest bit of malt, barely noticeable, and I thought it was just the slightest bit sweet-flavored going into a dry mouth following 3 sand volleyball games ( we won all 3, so I must drink 3 beers...minimum). Finishes very clean without drying the mouth. Nothing at all offensive, it fits the light profile respectfully and always tastes a little better when someone else is buying.

An acceptable session beer for thirst quenching and the ensuing socializing.

2.05/5  rDev -4.7%

12 0z brown bottle with freshness dating and a new label.

Beer is pale yellow with a strange chemically looking head. Very little lace.

Smell is of faint hops, some vegetable smell and not much else. They have made this one not to smell much at all, I guess they are afraid to let people know what's in there.

Taste is very bland, but slightly better than a bud or miller lite. Hops are barley present and beer is overly carbonated. Not much taste profile at all, just carbonation to take your mind off the lack of taste. With more hops this one could have moved to average.

Mouthfeel is paper thin. Drinkability is good for a light beer. If you have to drink or serve light, go for Sam Adams, Special Export or Leinies Amber.

2.6/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I too had thisone at Easter for it was the chioce at the time. It appeard clear, straw in color with a bit high on carbonation. The head was fizzy and short-lived. Lace was little. The body was watery but not as much as "ultra". The brew was smooth and drinkable if very cold.It will quench a hot days thirst. The taste offered no real hop or malt notice, just a grain & grassy taste and mouthfeel. Overall ok if choice is slim.

2.92/5  rDev +35.8%

Oh well, it was Easter with the family and the choices were slim.
I chose this light beer over Molson Ice for no particular reason. I can't really say I enjoyed this beer, but it did quench my thirst. It's a background beer, completely anonymous and unforgettable.
Drinking ice cold straight out of the can. Slight grainy, husky flavor.
No real hops detected. Exactly what I thought it would be - Fizzy grain water.

2.1/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I just can't stand A-B products. That awful taste is simply present in each and everyone of their beers. This is no different. Despite the standard yellow color and white head that's gone very quickly, there's always that same mouthfeel and bad flavor. This is probably OK if you can stand any of the A-B products. I just can't stomach the flavor. Someday I'll be able to describe because I'll likley keep sampling their stuff 'til I figure it out.

2.63/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance: Pale straw color and crystal clear. Quite lively carbonation sustains the small white head fairly well. Lots of lace is present on the glass walls.

Aroma: Sweet grassy aroma, with hints of mild hops and cooked vegetables.

Taste: Taste begins with lightly sweet malt and mildly stinging carbonation, towards the middle of the taste some mildly bitter hops appear; these lingger to the end of the taste. The finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Overall rather watery, although not unpleasant.

Drinkability: Overall, not that bad, certainly easy to drink. Substantially lacking in character but inoffensive.

2.37/5  rDev +10.2%

Sickly pale yellow hue, tiny artificial-looking white head, poor retention, no lace. Adjunct filled nose, sweet, sticky, notes of grain. Similar sticky-creamy sweet taste, adjunct influenced, grainy at spots. No “imported” hops of note. Thin mouthfeel, highly carbonated, not too watery... rather clean. The finish is a tad sticky. Boring. Not worth a damn, I got two free bottles and after I drank them I had a headache. This light beer is not offensive but not enjoyable either.

2.75/5  rDev +27.9%

Surprisingly good for an Anheuser Busch light beer. Light straw in color with artificial, quickly rising bubbles. Moderate lace and head. Light hop aroma backed by slight sweet smell of cooked grains. Light in flavor with nice bitterness offset by malt and grain sweetness. Finishes slightly dry. Sweetens up a little as it warms, but not too much as compared to other macros by Busch.

2.67/5  rDev +24.2%

Very light golden hue with quickly disapating head, leaving a nice glass ring and minor lace. The aroma is clean but weak and the body is very thin.
The taste at first seems to hit you with a slight hoppy bitterness but is quickly replaced with a minor cereal grained sweetness that does not last either.
This light brew leaves you wanting.

1.65/5  rDev -23.3%

First, let me say I don't consider "light" beer to be real beer. I tried this with reservations, but a friend of mine swears by it. Michelob Light pours extremely light yellow. Forget a head or any other good looks. Taste is watered down swill. Very chemical like twang. I had trouble finishing this. I was actually pissed off that a beer this expensive is so awfull.

Had a can of this and a can of Labatt Blue Light at a Bluejackets game. Back and forth I went between the two, back and forth, Labatt and Michelob, Michelob and Labatt. There literally was no difference. Both had next to no aroma or flavor. Both sucked sour frog ass. Taste tests between two crappy beers are not fun. At least they were free.

1.5/5  rDev -30.2%

Mich Light: even my macro swilling friends had to admit that this was one poor looking beer. Weak yellow color, so much so that I had a macro swiller claiming that it was not a bad thing if a beer looked like urine. Must I review it? Ok, yellow, no head, no body, no hops, no taste, no nothing! Better than bud, but who gives a rodents rump?

2.36/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Michelob Light is considered to be Anheuser-Busch's "premium" light beer. For this review, I'll be comparing this stuff with it's AB cousin, Bud Light.

Michelob Light pours a pale straw color with some very active carbonation. A white foamy head forms and disappears very quickly. As for the smell, it smells almost exactly like Bud Light to me, which isn't very good, as it smells like musty grain and adjuncts. The body is not surprisingly very watery and fizzy. The taste is typical watery light beer taste. There is some malt taste present with a tiny bit of hop biterness. For the first swig, there was a little bit of toasty malt in the aftertaste, but the following swigs revealed nothing else except some remnants of the foretaste. There is absolutely no alcoholic warmth to this beer either (not surprisingly).

My verdict? A slightly more tasty version of Bud Light that is quite drinkable, but I don't see the point in paying "premium" prices for a light beer. Kind of refreshing on a hot day, I would suppose, and probably a good swill beer to have around if the guys are over.

2.8/5  rDev +30.2%

I used to drink these all the time. From '97-'01 it was probably my beer of choice...revisited it this weekend. Pours a nearly clear to yellow color. Thin wispy white head..smelled alot of the same grainy smells as the other AB products, but less offensive. It had some beer like qualities, faint hops, and a decent crisp finish, but way to watery. Might be an ok choice at dinner with nothing else to choose from.... certainly better than bud light.

1.65/5  rDev -23.3%

Okay, I am not a fan of light beers. This is obviously better than than their Bud Light and Natural Light, but still nothing to write home about. Very little body, taste or character to it. When will somebody get the light beers right?

1.71/5  rDev -20.5%

I went to a friends house in FL (here for the weekend) and he handed me a Michelob Light... I should've asked him what I did wrong to deserve it. It was horrid.

First is smelled darn near rancid but lightly so. If you ~tried~ to take a good whiff it'd hurt you and kill some brain cells. Veyr light yellow with a chemi-head that doesn't stick. It has a 'snap' to the taste but leaves residue and after-taste I could do without.

Again, light beer just doesn't make sense and Michelight isn't any different.

1.64/5  rDev -23.7%

If there is such a thing, yesterday (a warm, sunny day) seemed the best time to try a light beer. I was outdoors, at a fair, and gave Michelob Light a try. I'm sorry that I did. Over-carbonated, with absolutely no taste, the beer was repulsive.

3.3/5  rDev +53.5%

Despite being an A-B product, I really can't complain with this one. It is probably one of the best light beers around. Everyone likes the bottle too. I like it at dinner.

2.5/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nothing about this beer really distinguishes it. I had it while partaking in several bowls of chili the other day. Refreshing, with a very, very light hop taste (but moreso than most lights). I can find nothing bad to say about it and nothing outstanding. I actually think this is better tasting than regular Michelob.

2.43/5  rDev +13%

I normally don't review macros, but 100 reviews is within striking distance, so I'll throw this one in. I had one last night at my brother's. I'm taking care of his cat and it's the only thing they had in their fridge. It's not terrible, but I deserve better for scooping out the kitty litter.

1.82/5  rDev -15.3%

I rate this compared to "good" beers...compared to most light beers this one isn't bad...I'm not sure if they use rice in this one but it definitely has a different flavor..I'm guessing they do use rice..A bit more flavor than most light beers but at 130 plus calories I would hope so...As light beers go this is pretty decent, and on a hot summer day I could handle a few of these, but compared to "good beers" it just doesn't rate.

2.4/5  rDev +11.6%

Not too bad for a light beer...actually quite refreshing for a hot day...very pale in color and ultra light and clean in taste...it seems you could drink these forever without getting filled up

2.42/5  rDev +12.6%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with a "Born On Date" clearly marked. A silver sheath like label that lays over the neck and partially over the cap, "All Imported Hops" is stated on the label.

Appearance: Extremely pale yellow colour, as clear as water. Active carbonation is shown from the large amount of bubbles rising to the top, a big white foamy head forms and leaves a one fingered white lace for most of the time the beer is around before it is consumed.

Smell: Faint fresh cut hay aroma and cooked corn with a light astringent grain in the nose also. A very clean aroma, not much to pick up off it.

Taste: Light bodied without a doubt, a well placed and perfectly structured smooth mouth feel helps the beer go down. Clean palate with a moderate carbonation after the pouring. Not much in the malt flavour other than a light touch of sweetness and a growing astringent grain that ends up mild at most. Hops are noticeable but are lazy and don't really seem to do much other than add a touch of bitterness and very vague flavour. After taste is semi-dry and nearly immaculately clean.

Notes: Such a clean beer, almost too clean. There are worse light beers out there but this one leaves you wondering "How much stuff was filtered out of this beer?"

Michelob Light from Anheuser-Busch