Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,358 | Hads: 5,379
1.16/5  rDev -39.6%

Can this even be considered a beer? The German purity law doesn't say anything about Rice or other additives.

Has a straw color with a light fluffy head.

Cannot smell much of anything.

Not sure how to decribe the taste. It's almost as if I rinsed out a empty beer bottle and drank the water inside instead of dumping it down the sink. It has a slight beer taste to it, but mostly water. And you can forget about any kind of hop bitterness. The big 3 have always promoted that bitterness is something that is bad in a beer,so you can forget about any kind of hop bitterness in this one.

Thin watery mouthfeel.

Overall this is a terrible beer. I wouldn't even consider this a consumption beer. There are much better watered down beers that you can consume in large quantities if that's what your looking for.

1.16/5  rDev -39.6%

I got this on-tap for only .90 a 12oz at a local bar. Someone got this for me and it's a good thing because this stuff was bad. It poured a very pale yellow color with an inch of foam that dissipated very fast. No smell what so ever and if there was anything, I'm sure as hell didn't smell it. The taste and mouthfeel were both bland and watery. It's sad that a bottle of water has more taste than this beer on-tap. Since this beer is cheap, affordable, low in alcohol, and everywhere, you drink alot of this stuff. But I can't see why anybody would do that.

1.16/5  rDev -39.6%

poored from a 16oz PLASTIC bottle that my roommate brought home from a bar due to intoxication, some how this is lighter than straw in color with no head whatsoever
Smell what smell???
taste even for a light beer this has no taste, I mean waters on par with this
mouthfeel is light and holy hell carbonation... gross
drinkability yea their commercials lie this isn't drinkable or even passing off as drinkable

1.16/5  rDev -39.6%

Three words. Fizzy. Yellow. Piss.

I'm sorry, but that is the best description I can give this beer. Just plain tasteless and bad. Stay away if you care about your taste buds.

I can't understand how this sells well. It is unfortunate that many people have been conditioned to think that this is the 'king of beers'. People simply don't know what they are missing drinking this alcohol water. Any calories you save by drinking this are marginal, and you lose the ability to enjoy any taste.

A: Barely slightly yellow
S: Smells like water. Only a hint of beer.
T: Tastes like cheap beer flavored water.
M: Watery, no substance.
D: Drinkable, but so is water. Why not just buy water?

Overall: To my tastes, it tastes like water, with only a slight hint of beer flavors. I'd rather just either buy water, or a Michelob (if limited to macros). Can't see any reason to drink Bud Light. Its drinkable, but doesn't offer any advantages over water.

1.15/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Take Budweiser, the watered down beer that helped gave North American beer a bad name for many years piss in it and drink it. That's what Bud Light tastes like. Even looks a pale, foamy light yellow like someone pissed in a glass of Budweiser...

1.15/5  rDev -40.1%

Yeah, so i didn;t have any cold beer when I got home. The Bruins are on and I wanted to drink a beer with my dumplings. The roommates have some Bud Light pounders in the fridge. You can really smell the machines when you take a good whiff of this beer. The color is of pale beer, the light actually comes through it, not blocking much of the beer. The glass casts a better shadow than the beer.
The taste is a weak lager, stript of malts, barley, and hops. If they use any of that, it's very hard to tell. The carbonation is way to strong and I almost taste the fizz more than the beer itself, it's tough cause I drink it as fast as I can. It feels almost rough on the tongue with it's over-carbonated-ness. Overall, Bud Light it just shit. But I'm drinking it. Take that for what it's worth.

1.15/5  rDev -40.1%

The appearance is the best thing about this beer. It's sickly pale yellow but it does have some decent foam which sticks around on the edge of the glass awhile. It smells like very faint grassy hops. On to the taste.

...I'm still waiting - after my fifth or sixth sip I finally realized that there is no taste. Simply amazing. Body is nonexistant. This is the second worst beer I've reviewed to date.

1.15/5  rDev -40.1%

Ah, Bud Light, it's been a long time since I had tried you. And yet, somehow last night, I ended up with one in my glass, and I said, what the hell, let's see where this goes. Sadly, it didn't go too far, as I simply couldn't get through it.

It pours a pale, straw colored yellow, almost the shade of urine. Vastly appealing, I assure you. The smell is the typical macro lager smell, which, is to say it's not appealing. Taste is barely there. I suppose one nice thing about it is that there isn't a lot of flavor packed into this beer. It's pretty bland, with the usual taste of corn and maybe a bit of malt, and probably some dirty water too. The mouthfeel is ok, I mean, it's carbonated well, and it's as thin as water.

As for drinkability, given the sheer number of people who do drink it, obviously it goes down easy, and you can drink a lot of them in a night. But, in terms of drinkability for flavor and for enjoying it, stay the hell away from this one.

1.15/5  rDev -40.1%

A - There is no head to this beer and it appears to be slightly yellowish water when poured into a glass. However, most people do not care enough for this beer to be poured into a glass, so it is nearly universally served in the can.

S - I don't know how they managed to make this smell so little like beer. The smell is unrecognizable to anything I've ever had home or microbrewed. The strongest smell is aluminium, even when poured out of the can. There is a pungent, unpleasant odor that doesn't quite remind me of hops, it's wrong some how.

T - Awful. That's the word. Even in my most decadent mood, I still can't finish an entire can of this beer. That is really saying something. The taste is a decided step down from water. I can think of no redeeming qualities of the taste.

M - Somehow this beer makes my mouth feel dryer, but not in a way that makes me want to drink more. It is a particularly hard beer to drink if you haven't spent years growing accustomed to it.

O - I believe the combination of mass brewing with low flavor ingredients like rice (to replace barley) and poorly cultured yeasts yield a massively inferior beer. This is truly the bottom rung of beer.

1.15/5  rDev -40.1%

355ml can poured into a frosted pilsner glass, courtesy of the TBS Fund. This beautiful Sunday afternoon was filled with sunshine, hot weather and a spotless blue sky. A day of hard work was followed by relaxation: a steak bigger than my shoe, baseball, and (only because I'll never be in a better mood to try one) a Bud Light.

An incredible appearance! Much lighter in colour than even that of champagne. I mention in my review of Budweiser that it's only a shade or two lighter than water, well Bud Light is maybe HALF a shade (maybe!). It could NOT pass for yellow. The colour fascinates me. Wow. I've never - ever - even imagined a beer so light.

Also like champagne it has a flurry of bubbles that swirl about. Again I've never even imagined seeing so many bubbles in a beer. The head leveled off at an average height, though it did at one point exceed the two finger level. A pristine snow white and very creamy looking.

The aroma if far less impressive, repulsive in each and every way. Saturated corn adjuncts. Sweet and cloying. Heavy DMS. Gross. Awful. Beyond awful.

The mouthfeel is thin, watery and without texture. The aftertaste is astringent but short lived. Carbonation is low. This is exactly like water. Literally. If it weren't slightly wet I wouldn't know it was in my mouth.

There is no real taste to describe. Tasteless. I remember being offered a bottle once before and remarking how it tasted like bad cereal. Not this time... I can't taste much of anything, even the adjuncts. Not offensive only because there is no taste there to offend.

This review is in no way meant to be sarcastic. I reviewed this with complete objectivity and described the beer exactly as it was. What is most important to understand is that it was designed to be this way...

And I give credit to the people at Anheuser-Busch. They aim to make a product for people who don't like beer and indeed, they've succeeded. Light beer was introduced in the 1970's as a marketing attempt at expanding their demographic to women and health-conscientious people. To appeal to a wider market they needed to make a wider appealing product and did so by introducing a product with less flavour, less aroma, less alcohol...who doesn't drink water? This is something else...

1.15/5  rDev -40.1%

This 'bber' pours very pale in color, almost completely see-through with almost no head. The head is white with no laceing after a short time. The beer has a sour sweet smell... odd. Very light sweetness to the taste, must be the rice, but has almost not desserning flavor. Smooth mouth feel. Utimately GROSS!

1.15/5  rDev -40.1%

I haven't had much bad beer in my life; not since I was a teenager anyway. And I'm pretty sure that I've never had a 'light/lite' beer. Nevertheless, I'm fairly certain what this one will deliver. Or fail to deliver. Here goes...

Perfectly clear light straw. The head is pure white and looks cheap, if that's possible. Big bubbles form a fizzy, airy pillow that recedes very quickly (this beer lost its head faster than Louis XVI). Lace? Uh... no. The smell is pretty subdued, but still manages to be unpleasant. Smells like sour grain.

The taste is even worse than I'd imagined. My facial muscles can't help but form a grimace. This stuff is sour and watery in the extreme. Do they actually try to make it taste like this? How is this beer so popular? I'd like to be able to describe the flavor with more detail, but I can't make myself drink any more than a few mouthfuls. The rest is going down the kitchen sink drain.

The only reason this 'beer' doesn't get straight 1.0s is that I can imagine worse, namely the low-carb offerings like Michelob Ultra. I may never have the dis(pleasure) to actually taste and review them though, because I will not be spending my hard-earned money to abuse my palate like that. If someone gives me a bottle... maybe.

My Belgian-made pint glass is none too pleased with me right now for filling it with this vile liquid. And my kitchen sink drain isn't too happy either. The pint glass says that it may forgive me if a Storm King Stout is in its immediate future.

1.14/5  rDev -40.6%

This beer tastes like carbonated pool water.

It pours a flat near colorless liquid.
Smells like its chlorinated. Tasted like it too. Kinda left a metallic feel behind.

How could you even get buzzed off of this beer? Is there even alcohol in it? Is this high fructose corn syrup beer safe to drink? What the hell is this crap? Its my life goal to avert people from drinking this thinking its beer.

1.13/5  rDev -41.1%

Bottle: Poured a very light yellow color lager with small bubbly head with not much retention. Aroma of adjunct and little else. Taste is very light indeed, similar to water with bit of corn in there. Body is so thin it’s unbelievable. Hard to believe but being stuck between the regular Bud and this, I would go with Bud.

1.13/5  rDev -41.1%

I had to drink this just to say I rated it,can from a friend.An ultra pale color pour with a thin fizzy head that dissapates very quickly,no lacing.Odd funky corn,barnyard aroma.Flavor of odd sweet metal,and pee.Over carbonated,and as it warms it takes on the aroma of baby vomit.

I outlawed this from my home years ago when AB was running that STUPID Real men of Genius add on the radio every two minutes or whatever STUPID,I will die of thirst before I ever buy a Bud Light ! Not because it tastes like crap but because their adds were so STUPID !

1.12/5  rDev -41.7%

I may be the farthest thing from a beer snob. You can find any number of "working man's" beers in my fridge, alongside a very limited selection of micro brews (or I guess they're calling them "craft brews" these days). I'll take a Pabst any day of the week and would never turn down an opportunity to try a beer, irrespective of it's label and manufacturer.

That being said, I simply can't think of one redeeming value of Bud Light. It's just terrible. Beyond terrible. It's the only beer I can think of (except of a horrendous experience with micro brew "Bent Paddle") that would leave me asking for a glass of water if that was the only beer on hand.

Excessively bubbly, devoid of taste, and a lingering chemical feeling in one's mouth just doesn't do it for me. If cost is your motivator, there's plenty of cheaper beers on the market that exceed in taste and quality. Start with pretty much any beer on this website, including a watery Blatz; it will be a step upwards!

1.12/5  rDev -41.7%

APPEARANCE: I have to say, the Bud Light does look refreshing. The light color with a tiny, but very bright, white head makes it look pretty appetizing. That said, what little head there is vanishes almost instantly and there is no lacing at all.

SMELL: I could not smell anything at all. I feel bad giving the smell an "awful" rating, because it wasn't. It just wasn't there at all. That said, I do not think it should earn any points on smell at all, so I will stick with awful.

TASTE: This is a very light beer. The small amount of flavor that is present is sweet and has a hint of corn and maybe sugar.

MOUTHFEEL: The Bud Light I had on tap was not well carbonated and it felt more like drinking water than beer. It offers nothing interesting to the palate.

OVERALL: If I've already had six beers, OK, I can manage to drink one of these, but as a first beer of the night it is simply not worth it to me. I drink beer because I enjoy beer, not because I want to get drunk. I know I'll sound like a beer snob saying this, but I enjoy bitter beer, hoppy beer, strong beer. So the Bud Light tasted like water that had been contaminated to me.

1.12/5  rDev -41.7%

Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.Piss. It tastes like piss. Piss. It tastes like piss.

1.12/5  rDev -41.7%

Bud Light is way too popular around here, in fact everyone drinks it and I can't figure out why. Ranchers, farmers, good ole country boys, city folk...just blech. I'd like to teach them a lesson. If friends come over, and we're out of beer, that's what they bring. It's like an automatic decision. I wish they'd get a clue because Bud Light is absolutely disgusting.

I usually opt for a mixed drink instead in those situations. I have to be REALLY trashed to enjoy a Bud Light. This beer is watery, pissy, gross, and tinny. Doesn't matter if it's in a can, tin, bottle (slightly better), or glass. It's still the same cornbread piss fest in a blue and silver package. I avoid this brew at all costs. I would even take a Coors' Light over this crap!

I'm sure you've had Bud Light before, so you probably know what I'm talking about anyways.

1.11/5  rDev -42.2%

The fact that American beer drinkers are so conditioned to drink this shit is probably the greatest trick the devil ever pulled.

This was the most horrible thing I have ever put into my mouth.

Pisslike color and aroma, I dumped the rest out in the toilet where piss belongs.

1.1/5  rDev -42.7%

Tastes no different than the bottled version, free as well.

Still super yellow with a fizz that dies off, smells like cereal in water, and tastes like nothing.

Dries out the mouth more than in the bottle and also had almost no carbonation. If I ever had to have this again I would rather not drink anything at all or bring a glass with me to the restroom. Not good at all.

"This isn't beer". . .

I must have said that out-loud about 12 times to my wife as we watched the X-Files while I drank this stuff. And it really isn't. This isn't beer. It has less flavor than water. At least water has a refreshing crispness. This is like tap water with sweaty sock juice squeezed into it.

And it's like friggin $6 for 6 x 12oz
Horrible piss juice packed in those ultra-hip blue containers and sold for nearly as much as a wholesome, flavorful craft effort.

Wake up people. You could buy a craft brew for nearly the same price, water it down to like 2/3rds water and 1/3rd of the craft beer, and it would still have more flavor than Bud Light and you'd probably have 3 x as much fluid oz for your buck.

1.1/5  rDev -42.7%

Ack, can't believe people are giving this beer good reviews. As my one friend puts it: "Drinking bud light is like drinking yak ****". Don't know how he would know that, but I always take his word for it. Never thought I liked beer because I was always presented with stuff like this.

1.1/5  rDev -42.7%

The very first sip has a nice, distinct wheat flavor. After that it’s barely a notch above water. About the only thing this is good for is when you’re outside grilling on a hot day, not worried about taste, and you want to have a small buzz with your friends. Also, it’s cheap. I avoid it unless it’s the only thing available. Sometimes I still avoid it.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch