Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Pours from the blue can into the globe glass and immediately a huge three-finger head forms. This tops a clear, golden light-yellow lager, but only for a while. The foamy head reduces to just a thin bubble-cap over the next couple minutes. This beer has amazing clarity, which is augmented by the light color; as close to colorless as beer gets. The first sniff is slightly sweet, and the second brings light alcohol and stale grains with a bit of that sourness typical of adjunct lagers. Tastes a tiny bit sweet and lightly malted. Feels refreshing and crisp.

By now the head has left the beer naked. Very little hop character is present to offset the mild corny flavor. The extremely understated pale and bready malts allow bland adjuncts to leave Bud Light quite watery in the mouth. Seltzer watery, specifically. It reminds me bit of dry sparkling cider because of the light body, tingly carbonation, and very weak aftertaste of tang.

I guess I prepared myself for even worse, but BL pretty much sucks. I cannot imagine how poorly it would taste if it weren't super chilled. Even Bud Light Platinum is significantly better, at least according to my review. Get me an ale! Or at least a real lager...

sam_bliss, Mar 13, 2013
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

A-Bright yellow and fizzy.

S-Sweet. Pretty grimey. corn.

T-Gross. Metallic, sickly sweet. Super watery. There is no likeable characteristics in the taste of this beer.

M-Light and bubbly. Very watery. Kinda sticky.

D-Refuse to rate its drinkability high. Just because it is watery and bland doesn't make it drinkable.

Someone told me Bud Light tastes like a ham sandwich in a can. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand the sentiment.

VelvetExtract, Aug 19, 2010
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance - Clear yellow-gold with a thin head.

Smell - Weak and sweet, mainly of corn/rice. Rather poor smell.

Taste - Sweet, with little discernable flavor. As it warms, sweetness becomes unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated and very thin. As it warms, exceptionally cloying.

Drinkable - If nothing else, it is drinkable. However, with such a weak taste, there is little reason to want to drink it.

BWMKappaSig, Jul 27, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Just had my 1st Bud Light since I was in high school, back when we would pay the pizza delivery guy to get beer for us. Some guests brought it over, and I had to try at least one. Nostalgia.

At first the taste was very similar to Budweiser, but the aftertaste was pretty bad. Typical Diet Beer. If I were drinking quantity, it might pass, but it's even a few notches down from regular Bud--the self-proclaimed king of beers.

heinekenike, Dec 17, 2003

Ahhh Bud Light.

I have literally drank thousands of these over the years.
So I felt it was about time I reviewed this beer.

Appearance is a pale yellow... no head.... obviously highly carbonated.

Smells like.... uhhh.. I dont really know.... kinda metally/coppery.

Tastes alot like the smell would indicate. Not much flavor... watery, coppery... bleh.

Mouthfeel is watery carbonation.

I will say one thing about this brew... I can drink these all day long without feeling it too bad the next morning.... and unlike alot of people, I dont find this beer particularly offensive, just boring. Maybe its because Ive drank so many of these that Im used to the taste. Regardless, Ive had worse beers.

nickss, Aug 07, 2005
2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

this beer pours a clear amber with minimal white head. The smell is not complex and all and just reminds me of drinking cheap beer. The taste is very slight with the mildest flavor of nuts with no hop taste @ all. The mouthfeel is ok I mean its not the greatest tasting beer but its not uncomfortable in my mouth. I must admit it is a beer I drink after I am buzzed... purely for monetary reasons, can't justify to myself drinking quality beer when I am not there enough to enjoy it.

Biggness, Jul 21, 2008
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

I have to give credit to Bud for producing a beer that is drinkable (if uninspired), and both cheap and accessible. It is a decent beer for playing softball, hanging out at the lake, and staying low key. It is not flavorful in any sense, nor is it anything out of the ordinary. It is simple, cheap and bland. Taste is very watery, mouthfeel is fizzy and smell is reminiscent of soap with some very faint aromas of grain.

Sometimes you need cheap, drinkable beer, though. If you want to pound some beers on a budget, not get filled up, and your goal is an inexpensive buzz, this is your beer. So frat boys unite!!

Trentonator, Apr 15, 2004

Jcmendez, Sep 01, 2014
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

The appearence of this beer is the same as when it comes out of you, the head retains for 5-10 seconds and the word lacing is not in this beer's vocabulary. The aroma was also unimpressive has maybe a hint of corn???

The taste is not awful, but standard not impressive, I wouldn't drink this unless I was either drunk or it was offered for free by some random girl. The mouthfeel isn't too pleasent either, makes you only want to pound it down to get the alcohol in your system. The drinkability is fair, as it can be drank due to a lack of alcohol flavor, which is just ok.

Final Thought(s): This is pretty bad stuff man...
- Beer flavored club soda, perhaps?
- People need to read up on nutrition and realize the carb thing means nothing...

mobyfann, Jun 13, 2004
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

A=Very thin, wispy. straw colored, minimal head, no lacing
S=Light malt and corn
T=It's not repulsive, but its just not...really much taste to speak of. A bit of malt and some bitterness, but its very bland.
M=Light bodied, gets flat near the end.
D=The high point of the beer, it is easily downable.

Pretty bad, even for a BMC. Miller lite is far superior

ramseye4, Feb 19, 2011
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Let's face it, Bud light is not mean to be enjoyed, or respected--for that matter. It is meant to be guzzled down your esophagus as easily as possible hence Anheuser-Busch's 'Superior Drink-ability' marketing slogan.

In all fairness Bud light has an unoffensive taste, much better than Keystone, Coors, etc. Like any cheap beer, Bud light taste's like its been skunked 5 min after opening. All in all, buy better beer and drink less, your liver will thank you.

odysseus430, Sep 26, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet.

A - The beer is crystal-clear and a light yellow color with maybe a bit of gold. The head is nonexistent. Pure white foam appears as it is poured, and then is gone immediately.

S - Almost no aroma. Faint noble hops and nothing else.

T - Tastes are faint and muted. No malt. Some mild hop bitterness and very mild taste. No alcohol. A corn or rice note at the end.

M - Light body lightened even more by carbonation. Some drying astringency at the end of the swallow.

D - This is drinkable in the sense that nothing is stopping you from having another (heavy body, alcohol burn, etc.). But why would you want to? Nothing is off or offensive here; it's just too much of nothing.

Radome, Sep 12, 2010

Poured from 120z can into pint glass

A - Clear straw in color, about a 1.5" head which goes away almost immediately

S - smell is a little sweet, smells of watered down hops with some malt

T - taste starts with some sweet malty flavor, then aftertaste is 'stale hops.' ugh.

M - Very light, but good amount of carb for a light beer, some can be over carbonated

Overall - it's a light beer, they're all about the same

kshizzle101, Dec 03, 2012

Boro83, Aug 22, 2014
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Generic thats as much as I can say. Nothing huge as what everybody says, its something you can drink like 15 in one night, but just mainly to get your self drunk. Taste is like horrid, smell cant stand it, color like if a dyhdrated donkey pissed in a glass...!!! To top it off they call it the beer of TEXAS please I would rather have a shiner.

beergambit, Jul 20, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

The only thing worse than this is Miller Light. It wasn't until 18 months ago that I finally discovered what real beer is. On that day I realized how disgusting the BMC I was drinking had become. All politics aside (which is the real reason I hate BMC) Bud light is one of the few that I'll actually admit to drinking. If you find me drinking it however, you'll also find that I'm fresh out of real beer.

pavyaz19, May 06, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Picked up a couple cans at a wedding only to re-try this for this was a pre-BA brew for me some many years back. I've come along way since only to wonder how this mass-produced light straw colored little beer holds such a large market share. It pours so clear you can see through it, as its pouring! The head is white and fizzy. It fades very fast to not even a thin film. The body is weak and lace is wispy if at all. Hops & malt, don't even go there, for not much to be found. A slight bitter, dry finish with some alcohol kick, if you drink enough of them. That must be the mass appeal.

chilidog, Sep 13, 2003
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours the color of yellow straw with an abundant white head. The head dissipates after a few sips, but it leaves some head lacing on top. Not much lacing is left on the glass. There are plenty of streaming bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass, indicating abundant carbonation. It looks like a typical American adjunct lager. The aromas are not very strong, but I pick up some sweetness. I don't pick up much else.

I had this ice cold. There isn't much of a hops presence in this beer, but it is there. I pick up flavors of adjuncts that tend to override the taste of the light barley malt, which is there. It's slightly sweet and the flavor is pretty clean and crisp overall if not a bit thin. This is about what you'd expect from a light lager because you know you're not getting a full flavored beer. Some of the flavors homogenize as it warms up, so you want to drink this pretty quickly. The mouthfeel is very light and somewhat watery. It's the sort of mouthfeel you'd expect with a light lager.

Light lagers are not my favorite style, but every beer deserves a fair review. It's not an awful beer by any means, but it's not a good beer either. It's below average and there are better, less expensive brands of light lagers. If you like light lagers, you could do better than Bud Light.

acevenom, Mar 10, 2012
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Had one the other night because that was all that was available. I'd forgotten how watery a beer can be, and yet not be water. Mild and slightly sweet, a beer designed for mass consumption by the masses. When I drink Bud Light, I feel as if my soul has been sacrificed to the Gods of mediocrity.

SFGuy187, May 12, 2011

jharmon, Aug 14, 2014
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a light golden color that's more on the straw side. Standard white head about a finger or two. Tastes very weak, very thin and watery with hints of corn husk and rice with just a small amount of almost unnoticeable hops. Standard mouthfeel. Drinkability is very high seeing that this is borderline carbonated water.

AdmiralDiaz, Apr 01, 2009
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Transparent foamy and urine-like in appearance. Typical shameful presence of corn, metal, dirt, and hay found within the aroma and taste. Very light and watery. Decent carbonation. Easy to drink just like water is but the taste is very mediocre. If somebody's buying these all night at a bar I'll drink them because they're free but I don't buy them myself. It's better than no beer at all... And that's about it.

berserker256, Jan 06, 2008
2.07/5  rDev +11.9%

Bud Light. Bud Light. It's so popular I said it twice. Ask me again, I won't be so nice.

Bud Light is the #1 brewski around these parts, and also in most of the US I assume. What's so great about it? What's so not great about it? I'll crack a bottle and hash out the details...

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle, poured into Miller Fortune glass (there's an idiosyncrasy)

Appearance (1.5) : Pale straw-like color with minimal head that disintegrates rapidly. Lots of bubbly carbonation.

Smell (2.5) : Rice malts, A little floral, faint copper. Lots of sweetness. Clean water. Reminiscent of Budweiser. A good bouquet.

Taste (2.5) : Smooth and crisp. Fairly delicious. Super carbonated, belches come almost immediately. Nothing specific pops out in the flavor, so I'm reaching a little when I say I taste corn, husks, a little malt, and some residual grain sweetness. A smokey metallic penny flavor wraps it up in the finish. So there's nothing really offending here.

Bud Light is hard to hate because there's so little to it. There's no flavors to point at and say "that's not right". Without much there, there's not much to criticize. All's well that ends well.

Mouthfeel (1) : Spiky, painful carbonation. Drinks like a brick. Leaves a slightly pasty dry finish.

Overall (2.07) : I know why people buy this stuff, it's because there's almost nothing to be offended at and it drinks like a soda. When you have no taste, there's less chance of bitterness or off-notes. The longer you brew a beer, the more broken down it gets, and thus you have "light" beer. I far prefer the full taste of Budweiser over a Bud Light, about 10 to 1, but Bud Light isn't half bad if you're looking for a refreshing drink for the crowd that no one will object to. Best beer ever? That would be ludicrous. Best beer for frat parties? That might even be stretching it. Best beer for beer-ignorant taste-challenged rowdy boys and girls who sit around the bonfire sharing prepubescent humor and chasing tail - now that's more like it.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Aug 25, 2014
2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle, "born on date" on the label for "freshness". I poured it into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours yellow but very pale... almost water-like. It's almost completely transparent with a 1/4" head.

Smell: Almost a grainy smell, but you really need to try hard to find it.

Taste: Light... very light. You can slightly taste the grain which presents itself and then backs away. Very dry finish and almost no hoppiness present at all. I will say that Bud does a great job of consistency for such a light beer. Nothing impressive to taste, though.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too impressive. Most of the action is due to the carbonation dissolved within.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but not very fun. I got bored after number 2. I really want something with substance.

Notes: I'd pass on this.

BlitzShadow, Feb 24, 2006
2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

Bud Light... guy i play hockey with usually brings these for drinking afterwards when anything would be drinkable. he tossed me a couple and i only finished one, put the other in my hockey bag to later fully assess this brew... i can honestly say i've never bought a bud light before, even with all the free t-shirt offers!

A: light, pale yellow. fast vanishing white head, virtually no lace.

S: sweet adjunct corn and grainy smell. not very strong smelling thank goodness. not skunky

T: uhm, tasted like the can might've leaked some metal into it, likely a production thing, but i'm not going to go out and get a bottle to see if it'd make a difference because i doubt it. it's not bitter, there's a slight bit of hops mixed with an easier detectable grainy taste. low on taste, high on fizz.

M: once the fizz is gone its very thin. one notch above feeling like water... as much as i love drinking water, this is supposed to be a beer.

D: it's drinkable/tolerable, but i'd need to be very, very thirsty.

sum up: they'd need to really entice me with some kind of value apart from the drink, like a free rapala crankbait and half-price, for me to consider buying it, definately a purchase for the 'lost' friends i've got and not for personal consumption.

final thoughts:

yet another yard work beer that can fall off the garden tractor without hard feelings.

EsoxLucius, Mar 21, 2009