Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

This is what it is. It is not a heavy beer that you can drink lots of. This is the way to go if you have a party and need tons of beer. It pours a golden yellow with a white foamy head. Lots of carbonation. Not much taste or mouthfeel. It is a drinkable beer.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

A: Clear, Pale and Watery. Foamy head.

S: Weak. Kinda corny.

T: Real weak. Why bother? What little taste there is, taste like corn, not beer.

M: Watery. No character at all. Kinda fizzy.

D: Everyone else says that drinkability is the only strong suit in a Domestic Macro. I don't even find this stuff very drinkable. I always end up feeling crummy, especially the next day (do they put laxative in this stuff?).

Overall: Seriously, why bother? I'm not just being mean. If your just trying to get hammered, drink a few shots or something. Maybe drink one of those flavored malt beverages, at least it has some flavor.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

I had this one on tap at the Auld Dubliner pub in Bolingbrook, IL. It was $1 draft macro night...

A= This one poured a very clear pale yellow color with a faint skim of white head that quickly disappeared.

S= Almost the absence of aroma. Very clean with a slight sweetness.

T= Malt presence was barely detectable. Hops were not detectable at all. Faint sweetness in the light graininess.

MF= Crisp, watery and thin, light bodied.

D= Easily drinkable in the sense that there are no "bad" flavors to slow you down. In fact, there aren't really any flavors to get in the way.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

Yes, I am reviewing Bud Light...and I think I'm actually in a position to give it a fair review. Finished a particularly rough game of league flag football....lost a tough one, I'm completely gassed. Hell, I was gassed by halftime - we didn't have the players to sub, so I had to try to go full throttle all game.

After we lost, throwing a pick 6 on the goal line when a touchdown would have won it for us, one of the guys on the opposing team, apparently recognizing my effort, offered me a Bud Light. I took it, thanked him, and proceeded to down a medium jug of Gatorade. Got home, tossed the BL in the freezer. I think I'm ready for it.

Am I worthy of this American classic, this fizzy yellow beer, this liquid poem to the glory of the rice grain? We'll find out.

A - I choose a pokal as my drinking vessel. The can pops, I start pouring...and damn, is this beer ever fizzy. Actually a pretty nice head. Holy shit, is this beer ever clear. It isn't even fizzy yellow beer, it's fizzy non-color beer. It has no color. Active carbonation rises, maintaining decent retention. Aside from the disturbing lack of color, not a horrible looking beer.

S - Now the aroma, I don't really care for. Generic "beer" aroma, like what you would smell on a "beer" scratch 'n sniff sticker. You '80s children, remember those? I guess that's rice and corn I'm smelling....but you damn well know this beer wasn't meant to be smelled. I score it as such.

T - It really does have all the flavor of a bowl of plain white rice, with a surprisingly noticeable little alcohol bite. I guess that's to be expected, as there's really nothing to hide even slight ABV. I taste neither hop nor malted barley. Though I haven't let it warm much, it doesn't taste *bad*, there's just not much to it.

F - Like most light-bodied beers, it's burpy. And watery.

D - Well, for the first few sips, it *does* come off as refreshing, but that's a mirage. I could finish it, sure...but there just isn't anything to catch your interest in the slightest. You'd get far more out of a pint of Guinness Draught or Boddingtons, if you want something this light. As always, if you're going to drink it, drink it cold and quick. It starts to *decouple* somehow as it warms; not good.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a SA pint glass. Don't ask me why.

A: Pours a clear, canola oil yellow with lots of carbonation and a rolling head of foam that fizzles out like that of a soda.

S: Smell is of corn and musty metal. If I tried any harder to get other complex smells, I'd have gotten a nosebleed.

T: Good question. I guess it tastes like slightly sweet, corn-flavored soda water. Like, if a sparkling water company carried a line flavored like corn.

M: Mouthfeel is sharp and crisp. Light and clean, just like a light lager should be.

D: It's the beer that you hate to buy, but if it's at a party, or you're just sitting around with friends, you'll drink a million of 'em, just to see how many times you can pee before you get drunk or dehydrate.

I would never buy any quantity of Bud Light for my own consumption. If it were a party, where I knew we were playing beer pong, or funneling, or even playing drinking games, I might consider it. For the money though, it's not even that great a deal, considering the Anheuser-Busch markup. Go for the Natty Light or Keystone, save some street cred.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Drank straight from a 355ml can

A: I split the can with my grandfather so i did get a look at it. Pale straw color topped with a one finger head. Retention was mild and lacing actually wasn't bad.

S: I couldn't get anything out of the can but perhaps thats not fair as most of my other reviews have been out of a bottle.

T: Very adjuncty. By this I mean the flavors of rice and it seemed like there was corn even though Bud doesn't claim to use it. Fairly sweet and watery with absolutely no hop flavor or bitterness to be found. Very plain but nothing really disgusting in it.

M: Crisp and goes down easily. Very fizzy and almost seltzer like to an extent.

O: It's just a Bud light at the end of the day. I'm not going to say it was awful because really it wasn't. I feel like too many craft nerds like to rip on bud when it reality its not bad in flavor profile its just absent. Probably would never buy it but if offered it I have no real problem with it.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

Bud light gives me a splitting head ache. Not in the morning, but rather while I am drinking it, and that prevents me from drinking it that much. The smell and the mouthfeel are kind of offensive, but the appearance isn't that awful for a mass produced brew. Don't drink and review.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

This is obviosuly not good stuff, but it is drinkable and inoffesnive, better than a lot of "light beer" out there and even a number of other beers.

Very pale yellow, it has a decent, large white head that steadily shrinks but never vanishes, leaving a decent thin foamy top.

The aroma is very light grain, a faint hint of grassy hops, and a little soapiness. The taste is similar, with very light but noticeable grain-grassy flavour, a faint hint of apple, and a faint hint of dishwater. It's also rather watery, but less so than some, and is rather easy to drink.

Compared to Coors Light or even regular Coors, it looks, tastes, and feels better.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer is more watery than Busch. I really couldn't discern a taste from it. It poured a transparent bright yellow with a bone white head that disappeared quickly. It smelled like carbon dioxide with a hint of cereal malt. When it came to taste, I couldn't taste a damn thing. I grabbed a bag of Cheezy poofs since I didn't want to sit around drinking what appeared to be yellow carbonated water. It went well with the Cheezy Poofs.

2.18/5  rDev +17.8%

This is what you get when you pee in miller lite. A somehow more disappointing beer. At least the extreme carbonation is a little less harsh, but otherwise... there's just nothing here. It's like alcoholic water. It's... just... sooo.... blah. I really don't understand the extreme fanaticism of the fans of this beer.

2.18/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a clear straw color with a nice 2 inch head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing in a 16oz pub glass. As far as appearances go, this has a nice look to it.

Smell is not great. Mostly grains, maybe some yeast.

Taste is very watery. Get some grains with the crispness of a lager. Very watery.

Feel is watery but with a nice crispness and great carbonation. Next to looks, feel is the best part of this beer.

Overall, it is what it is. It is a great beer for when your hot, sweaty and need a thirst quencher. I drank this for the beginning of my adult life and many of my friends drink it, a lot of it. I will take one of these if it left at my house or a friend swaps one of these for one of my more tasty brews but I surely would not buy it.

2.18/5  rDev +17.8%

I am not a "beer racist" and I judge every beer as it is, not as how the "others" view it. Fluffy soapy head which sticks around long enough to smoke half a cigarette and is gone by the time you take a sip. Wet corn, yeast and a slight skunky aroma. Taste? Well, corn, artificial flavors and it seems as the main ingredient is water but is rather easy to drink and goes down smooth.
I drink these with ease at a tailgate party or at a get together. Rich or poor everybody has had a bud light. The price is cheap, the quality is border line between okay and bad, but it brings along a good time at events and that alone is worth bragging about.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

I guess for a light beer it's not bad. Pours with almost no head, light straw color. Taste is of watered down grains. Hops are played out if at all present in taste. A distinct pungent chemical like taste pervades. I found myself longing for a regular Bud, which indicates just how bad this stuff is.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance: It's clear and a very light straw color. Head was foamy and about a finger deep. Retention was short. Lacing...right.

Smell: It's mostly grainy with very light caramel malt aromas mixed in. Hops are not noticeable. That's about it.

Taste: There is a slight bit of caramel malt sweetness. It is grainy and earthy. But, it's very watered down and difficult to pick up any substantial flavor.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied. Carbonation is on the light side. It is watered down and goes down easy. But, it has virtually no flavor which makes it difficult to drink. All in all, this is not a good beer.

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Out of a bottle this beer can be quite unenjoyable. But on draft, I must admit, this beer is OK. And keep in mind when I say its OK that I mean it is better than Miller(piss) and Coors and it is probably the only thing on draft at this booney ass bar.

Color: looks the same way its gonna come back out.

Smell: very faint hops. VERY faint.

Taste: water with about one hop added to it.

Body: almost a gas its so light

I would definately keep this in stock in my fridge. But solely to get the girls I invite over drunk off of beer pong.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Can of Bud Light, offered at my in-laws.

This review reflects my honest assessment of a beer within a style that isn't a favorite. And to be honest, it doesn't suck. Out right. It's only offense is that it doesn't dare to be anything.

I didn't actually pour it in a glass, so I'll assume appearance is average for style. Perhaps that means I'm not given it justice in the aroma department? There is a bit of smell that I don't know how to describe other than American macrobeer smell. No malt, no hops, just that slightly acrid smell that typifies the style, in my mind.

The taste actually did surprise me. I initially could taste some grainyness and a small amount of sweetness which is much than tasting nothing. Hops? I don't think there are any. Bitterness? Not really. Just what is imparted by the carbonation. You can only taste that grainy sweetness because there isn't anything else complex.

Mouthfeel is thin, which is the style I suppose.

Drinkability is like carbonated water. Not my favorite.

look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

This one poured an extremely light pale yellow, with head that dissipates almost immediately. Very little lacing.

Smells like water with a little bit of corn-juice.

Tastes pretty awful. Very metallic and fake tasting. No hops, no malts, no fruits. A little corn flavor.

Very thin body, extremely light carbonation, almost no feel afterward.

Extremely drinkable, aside from the bad taste. Very thin and refreshing on a hot day.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

A light amber color (almost too pale) that appears clear. A light head with little if no lacing. Weak lager flavor that is bitter in the aftertaste. Light, crisp mouth-feel and is a little too carbonated. Overall a beer the might be good for getting drunk but not too quickly. Not a beer too enjoy for flavor - would not recommend.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

It's 7:30 on a Tuesday evening. We (the missus and I) are at Riverbend Music Center and who is performing in 30 minutes? None other than Boston. Got our spot picked out on the lawn, double-comfy chair deployed, complete with 2 drink holders in the middle. Time for the first brew. The first beer truck I see serves Bud Light. 'Is there any other beer in the house?'

'No sir, just the Bud Light'. That's probably not true, but time's a wastin' so I plunk down $11.50 (!) for 2 20-ouncers.

Appearance - Pale yellow, not a deep head, but a fairly foamy one, mostly in the center. Recedes to a film, but massive bubble replacement from below helps it maintain rather impressively. I'm not a Bud Light man, but on a mid-80's evening with high humidity, this beer looks pretty good.

Aroma - I picked up a whisper of an adjunct smell here and there, but the plastic cup smell actually gets in the way of trying to pick up much of anything.

Taste - Light, sweet taste of adjunct and fading malt. Big carbonation hit really cleans out the mouth of any other flavors. No hoppiness, but a little grassy. Very watered down, not a value at $6.00 per 20 ounces.

Mouthfeel - very alive on the bubbles, there. Crisp, clean, no depth - not unusual for a light beer.

Drinkability - man, at 6 bucks a beer, I gotta find regular Bud. For a first round, to quench the thirst and all, this does the trick, but after one, it's really time to shift gear into some higher octane brew. The evening's beer search continues with my Bud on-tap review, up next...

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Reviewing this for what it is, an American Adjunct lager. Pours out very pale gold with not much of a head, which disappears quickly. Smell and taste are both unremarkable, but that is to be expected from a beer of this type, produced for the masses. Drinks just fine, finish is ok, but highly non-remarkable. Hot summer day? Ballpark? Backyard shenanigans with friends and/or family...? This will do....

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Well, it REMINDS you of beer, so there's something to say about that. On a really hot afternoon, with lots of good friends around and burgers on the grill, it's almost good. I have a neighbor who mixes his half-and-half with bloody Mary mix. I told him I thought it was a waste of tomato juice.

I'm not sure I'd rather be punched in the face, like pheurton asserts, but there's not much to this "beer" aside from its eminent drinkability. However, if I were just thirsty, I'd drink water; and if I wanted a quick buzz, I'd drink vodka.

Lots of hops, rice and corn. No discernible complexity. Seems like a real waste of time to drink this.

I know the rules say, "Don't slam a beer . . ." Well, Jason and Todd, I'm tryin', and this is the best I can do. Don't delete my account, please. I'm just a newby.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured a very light straw color, little head and no lacing. Has almost no scent, just an extremely light floral/malty scent. Almost no taste, either, an extremely bland beer. Went down very smooth, though.

Every beer has its place. I got this last night at the hotel buffet. It was free and the only beer available. It did a pretty good job of quenching my thirst and getting me ready to have better beer later on.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Figured I'd rate one of America's most popular beers and try to give it an objective review.

The first thing I noticed during the pour was the extremely vibrant carbonation. The liquid is very thin, with little to no body and a miniscule white head. I can't remember the last time I had a beer that looked like this and it's surprising to see something that looks so much like water with food coloring.

Scent of grain, canned vegetables, yeast and a mild metallic aroma are present. The smell is faint enough to not be totally offensive, but it's not very pleasant.

Flavor profile is pretty limited when cold. As it warms, a buttery sweetness peaks out in the conclusion, accompanied by cereal, hints of grain and corn.

It's actually a little tough to pinpoint characteristics of this beer due to its thin body. Also, a certain astringency is present, which takes away from the experience.

That being said, if you were at a cookout and this was the only thing in the cooler, you'd probably throw a few down the hatch.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance - Extremely clear with a soapy head that disappears quickly.
Smell - Not much other than a faint skunkiness.
Taste - Crisp and drinkable, but without any hop presences.
Mouthfeel - Watery.

I didn't review this beer just to flame it. Yeah it sucks but it has a place. I'm sure it was a lot of people's first beer. It drinks easy and is a good gateway beer for a lot of people. Also, easy to drink and refreshing, almost like a soda.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

What more can be said about this? For what it is, which is a social party beer, it does its job certainly. My only gripe with it is that it's basically the same price as micro's yet people still insist on getting this. A 30 pack +tax/deposit will run you like $22! If you want cheap beer you can get Natty Light or Gennesse among others for about half the price and they taste the same!

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch