Join our email list →

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Light Lager | 4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,389 | Hads: 5,531
2.73/5  rDev +42.2%

Appearance: Pale yellow, clear, light head that disappears very quickly, good carbonation.
Smell: Very faint. Can detect some barley and hops, maybe rice.
Taste: Very weak and watery. Can barely detect an aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Light and watery, carbonation is medium frothy.
Drinkability: Exceptionally high.
Summary: This is a horrible beer. I gave it a 5.9/10, or an F. As far as beer goes, this one's not a good choice. If you're in need of light beer, then I would say it's okay. It's cheap, highly drinkable (because it's basically like drinking water), and can get you drunk if you drink enough of it. In my younger days this was the standard beer of choice for parties (Due to cheapness, availability, and drinkability). This beer loses a lot of points for taste and satisfaction, but gains a few for drinkability. So if you're goal is to get really drunk or supply several guests with beer and save money, then by all means go for this beer. If your goal is to enjoy a great beer, look elsewhere. I wouldn't drink this beer again unless the only other available options were the rest of the commercial light beers.

2.73/5  rDev +42.2%

02/07/09- Had at a relatives house.

Presentation- 12oz can, didn't check for freshness info, but I'm sure there is a born on date or something. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance- Pale golden color with effervescent bubbles, a one fingered head on pour which quickly fades. Leaves no real lace markings.

Smell- Normal macro nose of light corn, grain and some malt.

Taste- Not really a heck of a lot of corn, which is good. Some heavy grain notes, actually fairly fresh tasting. Hops, nope, but overall not as horrid as most macro light beers.

Mouthfeel- Super crisp with a mid range carbonation level.

Drinkability- Do I loose my beer geek status if I say that this actually tasted good at the time I drank it? Was damn thirtsy and wasn't going to get to the beer store until the next day. Hit the spot to be perfectly honest. I guess it's true what they say...there is always a time and a place for every beer.

2.73/5  rDev +42.2%

Hey, Bud Light is what the can says it is. A light beer. It's highly drinkable, shotgun friendly and a staple at any college or high school party. It has its purpose in the beer world. That said, it is virtually tasteless, unworthy of accompanying almost any food and really can't be enjoyed unless you're drinking to get a buzz or worse. I was stoked that I only had to buy a single can for evaluation purposes and not a 6 pack...let's put it that way.

Aroma:
Some sulphur (ever skied on Mt. Hood in the spring?), and I found some light citrus. No really, I did.

Appearance:
Big huge foamy head, creamy on top, dissipates quickly but at least it showed up. Brilliant pale straw color, I wish my brewery could filter so well.

Taste:
Slight floral taste from the hops, or did I imagine it? Grainy, but almost no detectable sweetness or hops for that matter. Watery aftertaste that fortunately goes away as fast as the head.

Mouthfeel:
Thin bodied as it should be for the style. Snappy carbonation.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

OK, this is Bud Light. We haven't gone through a day of our adult lives without hearing those words together on TV, radio, etc. But in a post InBev aquisition and because the plumber left a big ass can in my fridge, I thought that the time had come.

Is this good? Of course not. But is this the worst beer on earth...definitely not. I broke out this can (at least 20 ounces) while I lit the coals, pulled weeds and wiped off the patio furniture. And I think that is exactly what this beer is for. August in SoCal and having a Bud Light enormo can while doing lawn work.

I am not here to defend one of the biggest selling beers on the planet, but understand the context for having a beer like this.

2.74/5  rDev +42.7%

An average american beer. Cheap enough to be affordable to anyone, and the taste suits everyone. Not too watery, and nothing distinguishable about it. Definitely should only be used as a 30 rack. Light carbonation, just a completely normal beer. Lacking heavily in creativity.

2.74/5  rDev +42.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

People are giving this beer too much shit, honestly it's a beer that is meant to be drank at the beach, parties, and any drunk holiday where you just don't care and don't want to be a snob. For many of us this was our first beer, yeah is it watered down piss taste maybe but still remember the nostalgic memories it deserve's.

2.75/5  rDev +43.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

What can I say? As far as AAL's go, this is one of the best ones out there. I still prefer Coors Light to this, and actually Bud Select as well, but it is still a good brew for what it is.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

2.75/5  rDev +43.2%

From a tall boy. Classic.

Surprisingly big and thick bone white head. Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen such an impressive and handsome head on a light lager. Color isn't as pale as it could be, thought it's still pretty limp looking. Smell is cooked vegetable sweetness, heavy on the corn adjuncts. Sweet and mild. This is really appetizing right now, so it smells pretty decent. Taste is weak and extremely watery. The initial tinny cereal adjuncts quickly fades to a watery almost-hops finish. A sort of creamy grainy/veggie aftertaste lingers.

Weak tastes, but at certain times, this could be not half bad. Don't want more than one or two, but don't discount Bud Light for a simple, faceless accompaniment to meals or snacks.

Better than expected.

2.75/5  rDev +43.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Very yellow with a minimal white touch of head.

S: Not much aroma, just sort of grainy. Hops?

T: Dry and "clean" meaning not much taste to describe.

M: Very thin with significant carbonation

D: I've had hundreds of these in the past. Since I am originally from St. Louis, this is "the" beer I grew up with. Pale lagers are not my beer of choice any more but how can you forget your first love?

2.76/5  rDev +43.8%

A- light in color, yellowish with little to no head

S - Corn adjunct, enough said

T- a lot of carbonation in this beer which some people desire. This really inhibits the ability of the tongue to make a decision on the taste

M - best served ice cold, this way you don't feel it

D - what i would call an ideal session bear. readily available and just about everyone imaginable is familiar with it..

2.76/5  rDev +43.8%

Reviewed this beer according to style

A - Brilliantly clear yellow with a soft white head that disappeared really fast. Absolutely no lacing. Had this maintained a head longer I would have scored it higher

S - smell? There isn't one... maybe some cereal maybe.

T - taste? Not much there. Very comparable to water

M - Ally Mcbeal thin! But that's to be expected with this style

D - It's going to have to get a high score. I mean wouldn't you consider water very drinkable?

2.76/5  rDev +43.8%

Let's all step back from our beer snobery here and realize this beer for what it is - it's Bud Light, for pete's sake.

Of course it cannot compete with a myriad of brews that we all enjoy. But it is a staple session beer, and it does just fine. If I have indulged a bit too quickly in some craft imperial porter or double IPA, switching lanes and grabbing myself a bud light isn't such a bad idea.

This isn't meant to be a craft beer or anything special, and lord knows it is not. But it is what it is - I enjoy and appreciate it for being a fallback when the craft and micros get a wee bit too heavy.

In fact, I'm drinking one right now after indulging in Upland's Infinite Wisdom Tripel....

2.76/5  rDev +43.8%

Only drink this Bud at the NASCAR Busch Races at Phoenix! When weather is hot, it taste's great. That is the only time that Bud Light taste's good. On a hot day when you have a super thirst!

The color is a weak light yellow and the flavor, for me, has a tinny flavor when I drink from a can. Aluminum flavor I believe it's called.

If I drank it at home on a cold day I'd rate it 2 across the board.

2.77/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Alright. Finally had it after I've started rating. Was hoping to try 100 beers first. Pours with a light white head of foam that gradually dissipates entirely. Crystal clear clarity and a light gold color. Aroma of rice and just a faint bit of buttering hops. Very light and crisp body. Flavor is rice, light malt and very faint bitterings hops.

2.77/5  rDev +44.3%

Classic American beer. If you don't know what to order at a bar, with a Bud Light you can't go wrong. You can find this beer at almost every bar. It is light in color and goes down smooth. The after taste isn't too bad and you can drink a lot without getting too full

2.77/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Never before has the taste of cardboard, raw grain, and rice been so delicious. We all know what this beer is: lawnmower football-watching dive bar no-thinking thirst quencher. Except for the fizzy head it actually looks good in a glass, too, and the light body is second to none in terms of crushability. This beer also has a special ability: exposing people who take beer too seriously.

2.78/5  rDev +44.8%

Appearance: Overall pretty boring...average-looking. Very pale yellow but has pretty good head retention, which gives it some positive points.

Smell: Skunked and sour in my opinion. Like grain thats been soaked in water for a while.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I really don't like the taste of this. It tastes stale and has very little hoppiness. After further testing, I get more hops. The grain taste gives it some stale maltiness though. Overly carbonated, making it rough-tasting, like soda water. Very dry.

Drinkability: Well, the difference IS drinkability. Easy to drink considering...

Overall: Bud Light confuses me more than any other beer. As I've said in my Budweiser review, I love that stuff. This stuff comes across as a very weak and demented younger brother. Stick with the older brother...35 extra calories will not kill you.

2.78/5  rDev +44.8%

A: Pale amber in color, head explodes in a frothy torrent, only to fade immediately. Lacing is pathetic, but clarity is good.

S: Creamed corn, a touch of green apples, and cereal.

T: Dry, more creamed corn, apples, and corn flakes.

M: Light, clean, and mildly carbonated.

D: Not a good beer, but certainly not the worst out there. It definitely does its job well; it's light, refreshing, and amazingly sessionable.

2.8/5  rDev +45.8%

this is my 3rd and most likely final review of this beer (unless they start putting it in nitro cans, haha). ive had it in bottle, on tap, and now finally in a can.

12oz can pulled from my fridge poured into a pint glass. 03NOV10 on the bottom, im guessing this is the "born on date".

pours crystal clear piss yellow with a big fizzy white head that quickly dissappeared to nothing. very watery looking.

aromas of corn, lager yeast, and maybe just a hint of citrus.

very watery light mouthfeel. way too fizzy. tastes of cooked corn, a hint of grains, and some lager yeast, almost a tiny bit of a fruity like yeast, but not very appealing like a german or belgian strain however.

of course this has great drinkability. if you can drink sparkling water, you can pound these back. not the worst light lager, but definatly not the best either. id never buy this, nor would i ever recommend it to anyone.

out of the 3 serving types that ive reviewed this under, the bottle and can were about dead even with a C-, where as the on tap version suffered a bit with a D.

2.8/5  rDev +45.8%

Fist off if you ding bud light just because don't waste your time reviewing. we all loathe it. It's because it's popular. From it's soda pop inspired label to its "try not to piss any one off" taste. It's truly frustrating that some people won't touch anything else. Case in point is BL Platinum. selling off the charts to the sheep who drink nothing but bud light but if they sold it as any other name it wouldn't. ok.. I've drifted enough,

Poured into a 16 oz mug. light, watery, 2 finger head quickly disappears. fizzy, no smell. watery mouth feel but that Budweiser rice smoothness. Its watered down budweiser . Its drinkable and available everywhere. Don't hate it for what it is. I hate the sheep who will drink nothing but.

Note: I review for the style. I refuse to let my prejudices slant any review. Nothing worse than the typical beer snob reviewing an AAL, same for your AAL drinker reviewing a craft brew.

2.8/5  rDev +45.8%

Not too bad for an inexpensive beer. Certainly better then a lot of the cheap beer and obviously a very popular brand. Probably rank it 2nd out of the big three but I'd say their all pretty similar. Pours a bright yellow color and leaves an aftertaste that I'm not too found of. Easy to drink and relatively smooth. Not a bad choice if you want to spend the extra buck when your in college.

2.8/5  rDev +45.8%

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

A - Pours light-amber yellow, small head, little lacing.

S - Wheat, corn, sugar, the usual.

T - Pretty standard for an adjunct. Minimal hops and malt, same stuff listed under smell, alcohol.

M - Medium carbonation, kind of a bitter finish. Guess that goes without saying.

O - Probably the most overrated beer I've ever had. It's not any more special than Busch Light, Keystone Light, etc., so why waste your money on this overpriced and overrated version? I wouldn't refuse one, but I don't remember the last time I bought this. Here, Weego!

2.8/5  rDev +45.8%

Poured a pale straw yellow with a thin white head that dissipated quickly. Aroma was cereal grains with a slight hint of malt and hops. Taste was cereal grains, but for an light lager I caught some hops and malt. Thin, a little more water with a lot of carbonation. Not much flavor but you could pound a lot of these in a sitting.

2.8/5  rDev +45.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Pale yellow appearance with fizzy head. Smell was slightly sweet with adjuncts. There is some sweet malt and corn in the taste with faint bitterness. Very drinkable when cold. CONSIDERING THE STYLE, this is not bad... but not great either. Suitable drink for quenching thirst or guzzling a few down when complex taste is not desired.

2.81/5  rDev +46.4%

Pours a very clear, yellowish/light straw gold with a white head that drops almost immediately to just a collar. The aroma is quite limited but offers some dull maltiness if you seek it out. The body is light with a very fine carbonation that's gently crisp in the mouth. The flavor is limited as well, but offers a clean combination of gentle malt and mild hop. It finishes exceptionally clean and drying. There's not really much here, but I guess that's the point of light beer. What makes it stand out in its category, however, is that there's absolutely no off-flavor to it and the balance is dead on. Very well made.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch