Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,249 | Reviews: 1,493
2.52/5  rDev +36.2%

Um...I don't really know what to say. It's not good, okay, I mean, it's really terrible. It looks like pee-pee, and it smells like corn, and maybe some slight sweet malt. The nose and flavor are incredibly weak maltiness, with absolutely no hops...as in, I don't think they actually use hops in this "beer." Sad but true. Feel is thin and weak. I dunno, it gets you drunk, but it's truly awful.

2.52/5  rDev +36.2%

So before I start my review, I must say I feel odd reviewing this, but as I am sure this is a beer I have drank thousands of in my life I feel obligated to show myself what I think of it

A- Yellow, big but thin head that goes away like soda, leaves no lacing

S- Not even sure what to call it, there is a smell but all i can think is stale beer

T- plain, lager, little bit of "stuff" which is probably yeast,corn and a little malt. no bitterness or hops to be seen

M- Light, watery, medium carbonation

D- well this is drinkable, and that's about it. It is actually quite refreshing and can be drank non-stop all night

2.52/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ugh. DOWN. Drink Only When Necessary

2.53/5  rDev +36.8%

Appearance - Pours a straw yellow into my SA Perfect Pint. About two fingers of extremely quickly dissipating head is achieved with a moderate pour that leaves literally zero lacing,

Smell - Almost nothing. Slight malt, almost non existent hop aroma (I think I'm pretending there is some).

Taste - As you would expect, similar to the nose. In college I "hated beer" meaning BMC. If I DID have to drink beer, I would choose bud light because it "tasted the closest to water". Hence, that is exactly what this tastes like. Very very mildly flavored water.

Mouthfeel - Nonexistent.

Drinkability - Honestly, this is still my go-to beer if there is ZERO craft beer around. Heck, I'm finishing up the few left over from a BBQ we had a few weeks back. Do I really enjoy it? No. Will I drink it again in the future? Almost certainly yes if there is nothing better. I'm not a beer snob - I know my roots. Yes I drink a 22oz that would buy two cases of this stuff, but hell, when in Rome.

2.53/5  rDev +36.8%

Bud Light...the most-hated....straight out of a 40 oz. bottle.

Appearance-Dark murky blonde color, slight head that dissapears as quickly as it came.

Smell-Definite DNS overtones, not really much there at all otherwise. You barely smell anything.

Taste-Light, which I suppose illustrates the tem light beer, but this is very light. Thus, it's not as full as other light beers but it does go down very smooth I have to give it that.

Mouthfeel- When they said this was watery they weren't kidding, not much flavor, thus the aftertaste is really light and easy to deal with. Beer drinkers will wish for more flavor but the slight aftertaste that is there isn't unpleasent.

Drinkability-I'd call this a true light beer, a great beginner's beer for somebody just starting on beer. You can work your way up after this. You can drink a ton of these very easily and feel fine the next day, probably one of the reasons it's popular.

Overall-Veteran beer drinkers obviously hate this, as it isn't much of a real beer. But I suppose that's the reason it's light. This beer is a fine beginner's beer and middle of the road light beer and is good for a beginning drinker. Other than that it has no redeeming qualities that make it stand out, I feel it isn't as awful as some make it out to be, but if this is all you have in your life your definitely not a real beer drinker. I'd still have it if offered though.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a good job even for a large american macrobrew. This beer pours a light yellow color with no head and has a metallic grain like scent. The taste is slightly malty, somewhat metallic and almost stale. Very little appealing flavor. Needs more kick and a higher ABV.

2.53/5  rDev +36.8%

Got a real good deal on two 24-can cases. Split these cans with friends and the only reason I got this was because they payed.

A- Looked like watery piss in the can

S- Smelled like nothing but maybe some malts

T- Tasted like nothing but maybe some corn and rice malts

M- Felt like stale water. OK carbonation

D- Drinks fine for the price but I wouldn't buy it for myself

P.S.- I don't like light beers

2.54/5  rDev +37.3%

Bud Light is a decent beer to drink if you like average everyday domestic beers. If your looking for something tasty and special, you'd be barking up the wrong tree with this one. But if your looking for to slam back a bunch of beers on a hot summer day, Bud Light is not a bad choice at all. It does the trick, just in a boring, watery kind of way.

2.55/5  rDev +37.8%

I think I would have to say that BL mite be my favorite Macro. When I cannot afford good beer, I always end up running to the supermarket and grab these. Also, since alot of my friends dont drink good beer, they usually buy this. It IS good for BBQs, the beach, and parties because its cheap and plentiful

2.55/5  rDev +37.8%

If you want a light, smooth, fairly flavorless American lager, this is your beer.

Pours clean and clear.

Smells clean, with the slightest grain aromas. In truth, smells almost like nothing.

Tastes very light, clean, and just slightly grainy. Tastes like watered down beer.

The mouthfeel is light and very watery. Bud did not go overboard on the forced carbonation - the carbonation is fairly perfect.

The drinkability isn't terrible. The bad marks on flavor get averaged in with the "goes down like water" element of drinkability.

This is not a beer man's beer. But, like I said, if you like light, smooth, flavorless American lagers, this is your beer.

2.55/5  rDev +37.8%

Don't need to say much about this one since everyone has had it since their teenage years. Does it have a great taste? Not really. Does it have a great appearance or mouthfeel? Nope. Can you drink a lot of it? Yes you can and sometimes that's what you need but lets just move on.

Simple Review:

Very light, refreshing, highly carbonated and very drinkable if...you're with the boys at an NFL Tailgate looking to catch that buzz slap before you head in to the game. Cheap lager that is readily available at almost any quick mart or grocery store.

Nothing other than water with alcohol in it. Zero substance.

2.55/5  rDev +37.8%

Well hey, if it isn't Bud Light. Everyone has probably had about a million of these, like it or not, so I might as well chime in.

Looks like pee, maybe a little frothier. Smell of... Who am I kidding, none of that matters with this beer. This is absolutely the blandest, wateriest beer in the world. It hardly tastes like anything. Why do I give drinkability a 5? Because it's actually so watery that you could probably drink a hundred of them without any kind of cloying aftertaste (or taste at all for that matter). If you're drinking Bud Light you're probably at a crowded party or lame bar with little or nothing else to choose from, and it's easy enough to live with I suppose.

2.55/5  rDev +37.8%

bud light. The typical beer-water. Very pale yellow in color with decent amount of head. Tastes like a very watered-down macro lager. The taste and mouthfeel aren't terrible-but nothing special. The beer-water qualities of this is what makes it so drinkable. It may not be the best tasting-but it goes down easy.

2.56/5  rDev +38.4%

Found old (Jan 2007) tasting notes that I never got around to entering.

Looking at Bud Light as pure beer, as an art removed from the social implications of drinking, it is both uninspiring and disappointing. To begin with, there isn't much to look at. It sits flatly in a glass like a urine sample. The aroma is weak with only hints of fresh barley. The flavor is a touch sour and grainy with a slight sweetness and faint bitterness. An easily ignorable but unpleasant and unnatural tasting flavor lingers after each cold gulch.

All in all, when it comes to the flavor department, Bud Light is severely lacking. What is so impressive about Bud Light, however, is the beer craftsmanship of Anheuser-Busch. In the world of brewing, a finely-tuned light lager is the most difficult product to create. Errors or flavor imperfections are readily evident, with nothing to mask the flavor. Then consider the flavor consistency for the millions of barrels of Bud Light, and you have one of the best-made beers in the world.

2.56/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Let me start by saying, I haven't drank a bud light in a looong time. Before I go further I wouldn't consider my self a connoisseur but perhaps a bit of a snob, though you'll still find me with a steel reserve in my hand now and again. I love lagunitas, breckenridge, firestone, bell's, and one of my favorite beers of all time is founder's breakfast stout....Damn it's good.

My point being that I like good beer, and surprisingly...I like bud light. I just drank one for the first time in forever and kind of hated myself for a second. Now don't get me wrong. It doesn't hold a candle to any beer any brewery I mentioned makes, or other great craft brews. It has its own charm though.

I won't go into appearance and yada yada yada, but I'll point out some good things. It's refreshing as hell. No bad aftertaste, mild taste in general. It's the perrier of beers. That's what it has going for it. It's not off-putting, you can drink a lot of them, and it's refreshing. Try throwing back a bunch of double IPAs or some smoked porters. It fills you up quickly, and can get to be a bit much after a few.

Bud Light isn't as bad as it's made out to be. If you're doing lawn work, or watching the game, why not throw back a bud light?

2.57/5  rDev +38.9%

Pale yellow appearance with minimal head. Smell is almost non existent, picked up a hint of grain.

Taste is hard to grip, it is a bit sweet and grainy, but overall this beer is like water. It has a very light body with high carbonation. Aftertaste is slightly dry.

Overall, this beers greatest (and only strength) is the drinkability. Think of it the same as drinking water when it's hot out. For a light beer (which is far from my favorite beer type), I'll give it kudos for not having any offensive features.

But it goes over that line with having no features at all. I guess if you want to chug a 12 pack with no problem, pick this up.

2.58/5  rDev +39.5%

My default beer out of trash beers as I call them. It is like water.
Taste is better than other chaeap bers. I have aquired the ability to find a taste over the other cheapos.
It is at every party reguardless, so i call it dependable.
Cheap if you want to have a cheap night or do a beer bust.

2.58/5  rDev +39.5%

The beer pours a golden color with a light head. The beer smells pungent and almost fruit like. The taste is sweet and it hits you in the back of the mouth. It has a crisp feel with little aftertaste. Over all the drinkability is fine but this beer doesn’t offer much.

2.58/5  rDev +39.5%

Poured from 12oz. can into a pint glass.

Bear in mind that I am reviewing this on a curve for what it is, an adjunct lager, so it is being compared to other adjuncts rather than craft beers.

A: Pale straw yellow, looks identical to Coors Light, Miller Lite, and other popular "light" adjuncts. Finger of solid white fake soda-like head fizzes up and quickly disappears. Some lacing, I suspect a bit of alchemy at play here. Gets an average 3/5 because it looks like an average adjunct.

S: Not a lot going on here. Smells like boiled corn with maybe a light note of some hops, too faint to determine for sure.

T: Has a lighter flavor than other comparable adjuncts. Tastes very much like lightly beer flavored carbonated water designed for drinkability for the masses. Doesn't have an offensive taste, just doesn't have much of one at all.

M: Overly carbonated with fake carbonation, feels like drinking Sprite or something. Crisp and refreshing, nothing special, feels like a standard "big three brand" adjunct.

O: This is below average, even for an adjunct beer. There really isn't anything good or bad to say about it, but it's probably the least appealing compared to Coors Light and Miller Lite where flavor is concerned.

2.58/5  rDev +39.5%

Many thanks to prototypic for the chance to try this one.

Vintage 2008 / 12 ounce bottle

A - Pours a very pale straw color and crystal clear. The white head was minimal and could only muster about a quarter inch before quickly becoming a couple white blotches across the top. Lacing is minimal just as expected. A small amount of carbonation remains active and makes this one look like its going to be refreshing.

S - A big dose of grain hits the nose first. A touch of alcohol follows. Could be some light honey that comes in towards the end and it really is very removed from the other aromas. That is really all I could get from this one. Overall it's pretty basic but not offensive.

T - More grain in the flavor that seems to dominate anything else that is going on here. There could be some apple in here but it is more likely other flavors masking themselves as a kind of fruitiness. Pale malt comes in midway and is very mild. Alcohol does not show itself in the flavor. Very mild in the flavor department.

M - Light bodied with a healthy amount of carbonation. Finish is a little dry and very clean.

D - Drinkability is good. The lack of aroma and flavor make this brew fairly drinkable. It is bland overall but gets points for being to style. If there was a little more going on with this beer (maybe some more pale malt or hop presence) it could be really good. I can't help but imagine this beer as a blank canvas that could be "painted" upon to create something really special. But, as is, this one is pretty uneventful.

2.59/5  rDev +40%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oh man. I can see the drinkability slapping me right in the face out of the glass. Pours a very light yellow with maybe a touch of green, exceptional clarity and a big poofy soapy head that dies down after a minute or two but actually has some retention. Aroma reminds me of smelling the inside of a beruit cup 2 days after anyone's played. This may be what they actually want it to smell like but my association of the aroma with actual garbage does not make me want to drink this. Decent malt flavor at first, give way to a slightly sweet, soapy, metallic taste. I am not completely repulsed by this beer, as I am with Miller Lite. Unfortunately, this beer still reeks of what would be the stale second runnings of what makes up a somewhat decent beer, even further thinned out with rice. Very smooth, dry finish with a pleasant husk flavor towards the end. Mouthfeel seems appropriate.. I've seen worse in other craft beers people claim are amazing. As for the famed drinkability of this, I just had 1/3 of a liter of it and will finish the bottle. But I could just as easily set it aside and not drink it.

2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

When a young man wants to impress his friends by buying some popular beer that is just within his price range, he buys Bud Light. To the credit of the brewers, this is an extremely difficult beer to produce consistently: it is so light that imperfections show easily. Ask any brewer worth his hops and no matter how much he hates this beer, he always tips his hat to the brewery.

That being said, the taste is so light as to be close to water. Cans and draft taste better than bottle; not because of light spoilage, but one expects the tinny aftertaste from an aluminum serving vessel. Appearance and head, etc are not important, as this is a beer for someone who isn't particular about those things.

Please don't snob the drinker of this beer. Educate him softly; buy him a "good" lager or wheat to set him on his exploratory journey into the great world of beer.

2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

Alright, I'm bored so here I go. There is literally anything I cant say about this beer thats already been said. Its a cheap macro beer but it has its purpose. As for the characteristics its easy...fizzy, yellow, smells like cereal, tastes like adjuncts, high carbonation, watery, crisp mouthfeel, ect...Here's my defense of this, its an easy drinking beverage. Notice I wont say beer. I'm sorry, but when its 115 in the summer a cold one of these actually can hit the spot. I'd take it over a cold water after working outside in the summer. Lets face it, us BA's dont drink this for taste. You drink it cause you're thirsty or cause your at a buddies house having a few too many in the first place. It is what it is.

2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

I am partially embarrased to admit Bud Light is almost always im my fridge. It's my wifes beer of choice and to be honest on rare occasion its mine too. Bud Light is wonderful for the fact after working outside in 95 degree tempetures I come home about as gross as you can possibly imagine, and I dont want to waste my good and wonderful beer on my compromised state, so i'll have a bud light. Goes down smooth as all hell, I'm pretty sure I can't even taste it anymore, and after one or two of these I'm certainly a bit relaxed, and ready to enjoy the fine beer waiting in the fridge for me.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch