Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.28/5  rDev -30.8%

MikesnoHSL, Sep 10, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

I'm merely reviewing this beer as a public service, and because I inhale it rather frequently in games of friendly competition.

Pours a straw yellow color with a small white head that quickly fizzes away to nothing. Smells weakly of corn, and that's it. Taste is bland, pretty much like carbonated water with a hint of corn flavor. I would have preferred water really. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly, good enough to chug quickly and forget. That is the way you do it yes? Overall this is a poor beer, I would avoid.

gatorguy, Jul 05, 2011

Egad! Bud Light!
Foam was light,light wheat in color that dissapated real quick with a serious carbonation issue. The color was a light gold almost yellow water. Smell was crisp and very small hints of hops. Absolutely no contribution to the senses. Taste, what taste? There was a feeling of 'no taste' involved except subtle hints of hops. Mouthfeel - crisp, carbonated. Drinkability - for me, it was hard drinking a beer with no taste compared to most other beers.

Monsteruss, May 01, 2009
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Pale and insipid. After adding a shot of Sambuca it became a very driunkable beverage.

jdhilt, Oct 21, 2001

tmryan21, Mar 21, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

This is what I refer to as a "beer substitute". It's great when you can't get your hands on a real beer, or just don't have the cash to afford one. Honestly, I believe it's about as bad as you can get (maybe Natural Light is worse), but hey, it's cheap, and after a while it gets the job done.

Appearance: Light golden color. Absolutely average.

Smell: Smells absolutely like what a stereotypical beer would smell like. No frills, nothing special.

Taste: Taste? This horrible liquid HAS no taste. It's like drinking carbonated water with yellow dye (or something else that's yellow and unpleasant) in it.

Mouthfeel: Gargle with hydrogen peroxide. There ya go, that's the mouthfeel of this beer substitute.

Drinkability: Well... you can drink a whole ton of it. But you're certainly not going to enjoy it anywhere near as much as you'd enjoy a real beer.

Overall: Buy this only, and I mean only, if you plan to use it for some other purpose than drinking it. I'm sorry to say it's really just awful.

Fatheranderson, Jan 05, 2011
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

A: Light yellow color. Crystal clear. Zero head.

S: Smell of slight grain, but nothing really there.

T: Watery pilsner taste devoid of any hop flavor.

D: Yes you can drink 50 of these in a single sitting... you still won't be drunk but you can.

Listen, it is what it is. Some people don't drink for flavor, they drink the easiest thing they can. The only redeeming factor to this beer is the fact that you can drink 400 if it's the only thing around. I get into this situation in remote areas and you just have to get through it. Better than water... maybe...

Maltoftheearth, Jan 25, 2010
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Before and during a recent football game, I was presented with one beer choice: Bud light. So, how bad could it be? Well, it’s not so much distasteful as non-tasteful. It’s an unbelievably pale, watery, light shade of yellow. The head is minimal at best. No aroma, no taste. Maybe a hint of grain. Mouthfeel of carbonated water. No aftertaste. Frankly, drinking this beer is not much of an experience at all. It’s easy to drink, but it certainly doesn’t leave me with a desire for another.

Suds, Nov 13, 2004
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours like water with a dash of yellow food coloring. A puffy soapy head follows.

Smells corn sweet with hints of grain.

The taste is similar. Corn adjuncts with a hint of barely and a subtle attempt at hops. The taste is also very watered down.

Mouthfeel is watery thin. Despite the head, its also pretty flat.

I tried to keep my expectations low since this is a light macro, but I was still disappointed. Even among lights, this is still sub-par.

Cylinsier, Jul 08, 2009
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

It pours an especially pale yellow that's crystal clear and readily carbonated. A fizzy finger of bright white head crops up and hangs a bit. Lacing is incidental and rare.

The aroma is thin to the point of almost imperceptible, with the exception of vague allusions to hop spice and a vegetal graininess. It's not awful only because I can't sense enough to decide.

Upon tasting, I wondered what I'm drinking, because the thin grain note is hardly malt, and what's there is too damned watery to note specifically. The hops are crisp, mildly bitter, and moderately skunky. The finish is blissfully brief and clean.
This is flavor?

Ultra-light bodied, it actually feels like it has thinner consistency than water itself, which helps in taking away everything it's too thin to leave behind.

The same way I am hesitant to give a beer all fives, I'm hesitant to give a beer all ones. I've justified all fives. This one came close to all ones, but not quite. With the exception of the insipid flavor, it is just a half step above lousy, but that's better than horrible, so I want to keep it in perspective. Simply, if you have to drink a light beer, and this is your choice, you should consider foregoing beer altogether. Isn't this at or near the top of the heap sales-wise?
That says a lot about the American consumer, I'm afraid.

Foxman, Dec 13, 2007
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Went out with my friend to celebrate her birthday last night. The club had an expensive menu, but were offering bud light for 2 bucks. What they hey, I am buzzing, and need to keep it going for cheap. Big Mistake.

Appearance - In a bottle, couldn't really make it out in a dark club.

Smell - Awful, just completely unpleasant. Smells like raw bread.

Taste - It does not taste like water like most people make it out. Water does not make me cringe while I drink it. It is just an awful sensation of flavor.

Mouthfeel - Feels foamy, and has a nasty texture to it.

Drinkability - Honestly, I can not see how it has become Americas top selling beer. It does not make me want to grab another. Sure, it wont feel you up and you can drink as many as you want, but why punish yourself?

For a light beer expirience that provides low calories, with exceptional flavor and drinkability, Sam Adams light does the trick well. It is no wonder the rest of the world shames our beer drinking palate, when this crap brew is the number one seller in America.

abecall98, Jun 02, 2008
1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Well, today was my lesson on drinking macro-swill adjunct lagers. I thought I would sample the king of crap, bud light. I've had bottled water with more character than this.

Appearance: Almost clear...leaning towards transparent. A hazy straw color with virtually no head to speak of.

Smell: cooked veggies...'nuff said.

Taste: Bitter stale corn.

Mouthfeel: thin and watered down.

Drinkability: BAD. Poured it out.

Overall: It's been more than a year since I had any macro-swill. That being said, I felt it was important in my quest for BA-dom to understand what I had turned away from. Today definitely put some perspective on this. I feel that I'm making an excellent decision every time I turn one of these beers down. Not becasue I'm a snob or I don't want anything from the big three. But because I know what they are like, I know that there is much, much better beer out there and I choose to drink craft beer.

Take your damn Clydesdales (no animals were harmed in the writing of this review).

Respect beer.

mattcrill, Sep 21, 2004
1.31/5  rDev -29.2%

StevenC, Friday at 05:45 AM
1.32/5  rDev -28.6%

Bud Light gets a big ol' "meh" from me. This beer is great because it's cheap, a general crowd-pleaser (for some reason), and it's relatively easy to drink because it goes down essentially like water. When I was a kid, I always heard that drinking beer was the equivalent to drinking urine, and in Bud Light's case, I can kinda see where that comes from. The color is light yellow, the flavor is barely there, slightly bitter and a touch rice-y, and the mouthfeel is like carbonated water.

Overall, this beer is great when throwing them down in beer pong...but not in many other circumstances.

kris10michele, Dec 10, 2013

Similar to coors light.

Looks like a typical light beer with no head worth noting.

Smells like alcohol and doesn't make me want to drink it.

Tastes like crap frankly.

Mouthfeel was filmy and watery.

Overall I think you should only drink this for long sessions where you plan on getting plastered. Which is not often, at all, for me.

theRooster90, Aug 30, 2011
1.33/5  rDev -28.1%

A: A very pale yellow with a small soapy head. Lots of bubbles.

S: Default beer smell... Wet grass and grain. Not pleasant at all.

T: Like a watered down Budweiser. It still has the hop bite and bitterness that makes me hate Budweiser when compared to Coors or Miller.

M: Very watery but the nice carbonation and crisp clean feel is refreshing.

O: I would take a Michelob Ultra over this anyday. I find the flavor offensive compared to other light beers. If all you want is to get drunk there are crappier beers.

JamesHenjum, Aug 11, 2012
1.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from a can into a regular old pint glass

It looks very clean after being poured into the glass, the beer had a soda like head that vanished with zero retention. Clear yellow fizzy liquid somes it up nicely.

Can hardly smell a thing, some graininess and some cooked vegetables.

Taste is underwhelming, has a bread like finish and the hop character is almost non existent.

I don't even find this to be drinkable, the forced carbonation and lack of any flavor makes me want to steer clear of this and anything like it, like yeah it's kinda refreshing in mouth feel but I can drink a sprite for that same feeling! It's very clean and crisp bit the total lack of favor makes this undrinkable for me

Fenris244, Jan 12, 2011
1.33/5  rDev -28.1%

How did it come to this..but here I am reviewing a 24 oz can of Bud Light..and to give it the best chance I have poured it into my Chimay chalice ( that usually makes a beer look .5 better at least).
But not this one..two words for the appearance yellow and urine.
The aroma is even more abysmal than the appearance..some dirty rainwater comes to mind.
taste ..water with a dash of cheap beer.
Mouthfeel thin and horrid..chemical like aftertaste.
This stuff is no good..im sorry its just a bad beer..drink water .

Reidrover, Jul 03, 2004
1.33/5  rDev -28.1%

What can you say that hasn't been said about this beer?

I was even trying to be subjective on the light lager category and it still didn't live up to that.

A- pale yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipated very quickly.
S-water and yeast
T-dry with a small bit of metallic sweetness
M-very light and highly carbonated
D- not for me

TheodorHerzl, Jan 21, 2008
1.33/5  rDev -28.1%

A - It is really quite remarkable, this beer is perhaps more translucent than water. Or glass. Or air. Nice head and lacing, too little effervescence.

S - Not much. Faint grain, metal, and something vaguely unpleasant.

T - Horrendous. It tastes mostly bland, and vaguely like beer, but there is also a taste that is despicable. I can't identify it exactly, but it lasts for a long time after the beer has been consumed. It is a taste stain. Similar to the lingering odor that permeates your car if you leave a bag of McDonald's in it.

F - Disturbingly thin.

D - This beer gives you instant indigestion.

Generally, I only drink this at stadiums where there is not an import vendor. Which is basically nowhere, these days. Today, I drank it for 'experimental' purposes.

ktrillionaire, Jan 31, 2010
1.33/5  rDev -28.1%

A-About as pale as it gets. This is a few shades darker than water and lighter in color than ginger ale. Thin ring of foam does remain however.

S-Smell is actually somewhat off-putting. It consists of a harsh mustiness and some malty sweetness.

T-Carbonated water with a splash of beer in the aftertaste. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't taste like beer.

M-Thin and carbonated.

D-I would never purchase this beer for myself.

Overall, this beer is only worth drinking if it is the only thing available or if you are going to be outside in the heat and hydration is a must. It should be against the law for this to be marketed and sold as beer.

thegodfather2701, Jul 04, 2011
1.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Well, since Oklahoma law prohibits the retail sale of beer above 3.2 percent ABV between the hours of 9 pm(!) and 10 am(!!), the big three got smart and started brewing "beer" at the 3.2 line. One cannot acquire the big three above 3.2 unless one leaves the state. Well, I left the state. Let's see what the rest of the country drinks.

A: Extremely clear / pale yellow. Head is...well, white with lacing being to the point of non-existent.

S: Smell is also almost non-existent. Adjunct grain galore! Mild, mild sweetness on the followed by minimum bitterness.

T: I got nothing. Okay, not nothing, but pretty damn close. Mild rice grains along with a nondescript sweetness that turns into mild bitterness.

M: Forget about it. Soda water, beginning, mid and finish.

D: Why even bother? It drinks like so much seltzer. Easy to do, hard to enjoy.

Upon drinking "real" Bud Light, I am further disillusioned with the beer drinkers of America. THIS is your call to arms? THIS is what you answer to? Go back to vodka. It's more efficient.

McStagger, Sep 21, 2007
1.34/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Had a pint on tap at Chicago Dogs in Scarborough, Maine, a place with really terrific hot dogs and much better beers than this on tap.

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow with no head at all. Looks very much like urine.

Aroma: Like it's big brother, it sort of smells like used rice cooker water. It's more faint, which I guess is kind of a good thing.

Taste: Gross. Tastes like a regrettable frat party, the halftime bathroom line of a mid-grade sports event, or the floor of an Applebee's. It's basically rice-tasting water.

Mouthfeel: The only thing more watery is water.

Overall: I like that it came served in a Patriots Bud Light glass. I gave this beer a legit shot - I drank it with hot dogs while watching sports - effectively handing it home field advantage. But it's just bad. There's no reason to drink this as long as tap water remains free.

illpass78, Oct 25, 2014
1.35/5  rDev -27%

Poured a pale straw color with a foamy head that leaves some lacing around the glass. Smell is clean but like most macro lagers has a slight smell of creamed corn, just really bland. Taste is much of the same, no pronounced flavor, nothing that I could get enjoyment out of, I would like to see some hops come through, just a little at least. Mouthfeel, overly carbonated and intended to serve ice cold, perhaps to hide flavors, good or bad, within? Drinkability, I could imagine this is drinkable for many, but I could maybe have one in a sitting, and then not have anymore again, ever.

badbeer, Feb 09, 2006
1.35/5  rDev -27%

I'm glad this beer is getting the popularity it deserves on BA. Think about why it's being drunk. Advertising, advertising, accessibility. The only reason people drink light American lagers is because it's all they know. "Awwww..brahhh..bud light over miller light anny day." Sound familiar? It's not you right?

Pours crystal clear, and tastes crystal light. By no means is it easy to control a living organism like yeast to do exactly what you want, every single time. For this they get points on appearance.

I'm trying to be objective and rate beer based off of the style, not personal bias. But alas! I can't.

FungusBrewer, Feb 21, 2012