2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Bud LightBud Light

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Ratings: 3,889 | Reviews: 1,257 | Show All Ratings:
vulgora

Oregon

1.38/5  rDev -25.4%

i am not a big fan of lite or light beers as the spelling depends on the beer.
i bought bud light because i have all ready tried everything cheap and this mini mart that wasn't a mikes hard shit or four loko. so at least it's better than that i guess.

its pours thin and yellow

tastes super adjucty, corn and rice and i got a really weird chemical taste like rubber or plastic . gross!

and the big surprise isn't that i didn't like this beer the suprise is that i just had tried natural light and it tastes way superior which is funny natural light is cheaper bud light is actually expensive .

if you must get a light beer i say natural light
or rolling rock but not dos equis that shit is not worth the money , for me i like genesee

im not buyijg bud light ever again the regular budweiser is bad enough but its 5.0% so its it's worth it and it's not that bad .

bud light for frat boys and girls that don't know good beer....

04-15-2014 17:27:48 | More by vulgora
danimal9393

Arkansas

2.84/5  rDev +53.5%

My opinion Bud Light is highly over rated! Its one step above water! Although it does taste OK, but to a well rounded beer taster it is weak. Cost is comparable to other American beers, but I wouldn't buy it unless it was cheaper than a competitor. I can't believe this beer is so popular because it lack character in my book.

04-03-2014 23:49:26 | More by danimal9393
CraftPro

1.1/5  rDev -40.5%

I may be the farthest thing from a beer snob. You can find any number of "working man's" beers in my fridge, alongside a very limited selection of micro brews (or I guess they're calling them "craft brews" these days). I'll take a Pabst any day of the week and would never turn down an opportunity to try a beer, irrespective of it's label and manufacturer.

That being said, I simply can't think of one redeeming value of Bud Light. It's just terrible. Beyond terrible. It's the only beer I can think of (except of a horrendous experience with micro brew "Bent Paddle") that would leave me asking for a glass of water if that was the only beer on hand.

Excessively bubbly, devoid of taste, and a lingering chemical feeling in one's mouth just doesn't do it for me. If cost is your motivator, there's plenty of cheaper beers on the market that exceed in taste and quality. Start with pretty much any beer on this website, including a watery Blatz; it will be a step upwards!

03-25-2014 02:32:58 | More by CraftPro
brutusmuktuk

1.1/5  rDev -40.5%

The very first sip has a nice, distinct wheat flavor. After that it’s barely a notch above water. About the only thing this is good for is when you’re outside grilling on a hot day, not worried about taste, and you want to have a small buzz with your friends. Also, it’s cheap. I avoid it unless it’s the only thing available. Sometimes I still avoid it.

02-19-2014 23:22:58 | More by brutusmuktuk
mando_thegreat

2.38/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

OK , so bud light what can I say... I wouldnt say it was the WORST beer ive ever had, but it isnt my favorite by any means. Ive certainly had my share on drinking it of course, but the taste is sort of hard to explain for me.... kind of a light/strong-tasteless taste... if that makes sense. its good when its ice cold, dont bother if its warm.

01-25-2014 04:04:31 | More by mando_thegreat
AaronTheBearded

Kansas

2.7/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Let's not beat around the busch here. This beer isn't here to win ribbons or gold medals. It certainly isn't here to turn the hop-heads of beer geeks across the world. It is what it is. It's Bud Light.

A - Well, it's piss yellow, crystal clear, and has plenty of carbonation streaming up to a finger of white head that sticks around long enough for you to maybe say the alphabet, like if you're fast and haven't already had any more than a couple drinks.

S - Just don't smell it. Don't get all sophisticated with this one. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Okay fine I'll tell you what I picked up from accidentally hovering my face over the glass while I was contemplating my existence. Grass. Corn. Rice. That smell that is ingrained in my memory from high school parties and football games. What can I say? It's nostalgic.

T - Have you ever had Perrier? Or maybe just decided to chug a bottle of club soda out of pure boredom? It was kind of like that, only distilled in adjunct grain juice for a while. It sounds bad, but if you're expecting it, then it's tolerable. In the right mindset, you can even quite enjoy it.

M - This is what I actually like about this beer. It's refreshing, crisp, and has plenty of carbonation. Good for a hot day when you don't want to do anything, including thinking about the beer you're drinking. Very light bodied. Reminiscent of water.

O - I'm not saying this is a bad beer. I'm saying this is the beer that I keep on hand in case someone who isn't my friend asks for a brewski while I'm hosting a party. I'm not going to turn one away if it's the only thing available.

My advice? Grab some buds and go somewhere that serves a proper brew.

01-11-2014 08:10:39 | More by AaronTheBearded
beerlover1990

4.94/5  rDev +167%

This is the beer that got me to love beer! Bud Light will always be my number one favorite beer! It's fairly cheap, but, it doesn't taste real cheap to me. It's smooth and refreshing. My number one choice when I want a beer. No, it's not all I drink. I drink many other brands, but, I love my Bud Light!

12-25-2013 06:38:55 | More by beerlover1990
kris10michele

1.33/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Bud Light gets a big ol' "meh" from me. This beer is great because it's cheap, a general crowd-pleaser (for some reason), and it's relatively easy to drink because it goes down essentially like water. When I was a kid, I always heard that drinking beer was the equivalent to drinking urine, and in Bud Light's case, I can kinda see where that comes from. The color is light yellow, the flavor is barely there, slightly bitter and a touch rice-y, and the mouthfeel is like carbonated water.

Overall, this beer is great when throwing them down in beer pong...but not in many other circumstances.

12-10-2013 01:22:30 | More by kris10michele
LightEnthusiast

South Dakota

1.13/5  rDev -38.9%

Bud Light is way too popular around here, in fact everyone drinks it and I can't figure out why. Ranchers, farmers, good ole country boys, city folk...just blech. I'd like to teach them a lesson. If friends come over, and we're out of beer, that's what they bring. It's like an automatic decision. I wish they'd get a clue because Bud Light is absolutely disgusting.

I usually opt for a mixed drink instead in those situations. I have to be REALLY trashed to enjoy a Bud Light. This beer is watery, pissy, gross, and tinny. Doesn't matter if it's in a can, tin, bottle (slightly better), or glass. It's still the same cornbread piss fest in a blue and silver package. I avoid this brew at all costs. I would even take a Coors' Light over this crap!

I'm sure you've had Bud Light before, so you probably know what I'm talking about anyways.

12-09-2013 07:55:12 | More by LightEnthusiast
Mittsies

This is the perfect beer. The most masterfully crafted beer lager I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. First of all, the appearance is incredible. The logo on the can has had literally millions of dollars pumped into it, the commercials, billboards, and various advertisements all over the world letting us know that bud light is the master race of alcoholic drinks. It looks like yellow, bubbly water, that's how you know it's crisp and refreshing.

The smell and taste are Incredible. I absolutely love the aroma because it reminds me of the men's changing room at my local gym, and it's a smell that every man enjoys. This basically means Bud Light is the ideal drink for anyone who's manly and loves to work out. The drink is very dry-sweat-forward, with a strong dog-urinated-on-my-new-carpet note -- which are two of my all-time favorite flavors. I don't normally like to mix my beer with other substances, but if you add lime it really helps bring out the beer's unique characteristics.

This is important: make sure you drink Bud Light as cold as possible to really experience the beverage. Besides, nobody likes beer when it starts to get warm and unlock a wider array of flavor, right? You can even put the beer in the freezer to make sure it's extra cold, that's what I recommend personally.

The mouthfeel is almost identical to water. Seeing as I'm someone who loves to go to the gym, I drink a lot of water. I mean who doesn't love water? Just make sure the beer doesn't stay in your mouth for more than a second -- you want to drink it as quickly as possible. Don't ask me why, just trust me on this one.

Overall 10 / 10. Perfect drink.

11-29-2013 14:44:08 | More by Mittsies
AZYescas

Arizona

3.25/5  rDev +75.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bud light was one of the first beers I started drinking about 10 years ago. I never knew what beer was suppose to be like or if this was what all other beers competed against to the public. man was I wrong. I soon discovered other flavors, aromas, and depth in beers that bud light didn't offer. Although I do enjoy darker beers now I got to say bud light still holds a place in my heart. lets be real you can grab a 30pk at times for $16 during a major holiday or sporting event. Even if it doesn't hold up to other beers I'm sure it will be around for a long time to come. family and friends enjoy this pilsner beer and when its around I wont hesitate to grab one. cheers!

11-22-2013 00:42:22 | More by AZYescas
dav12cnen

3.05/5  rDev +64.9%

just as the saying goes you get what you pay for , and im not talking about the consumer the big bud has spent little and put little into this beer , no hops taste no barley taste and thats what you get it could be so much more ,but why bother it sells and so lets get to the bottom line . most consumers today are getting a corn product with an abv content.and less sweet than sum of those corn syrup mixes out there ,but little hops and little hopes that this beer will change for the better . thanks mass market cor-piarets for ruining american lager. but that said it will still get u a dui. oh and if this beer aint made from corn well please let me no what GMO it is .thanks

11-07-2013 04:29:13 | More by dav12cnen
GrizzleFist

1.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Appearance: Very light, very carbonated

Smell: No smell what so ever besides the metal smell that the can gives off

Taste: Almost no taste really to it, everyone in the world should know what it taste like so I don't feel the need to try to extract a more detailed description of this

Mouthfeel: LIke I'm drinking carbonated metal water

Overall: In terms of beer, its horrible. It's sad that this is what most people think of when you say "Light Beer" or even "Beer". Only reason why I'm giving it a 1.75 instead of anything lower is because it doesn't have a taste that makes you sick, its well carbonated, its cheap and it will eventually get you drunk.

10-21-2013 00:01:54 | More by GrizzleFist
TheSixthRing

1.71/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Beer Review # 666

Appearance - Pours out a clear, watered down looking pale yellow with a white, quarter finger head that fizzes away like soda, leaving a flat, smooth surface.

Smell - Dextrin sweetness, corn and hints of other grain.

Taste - Very little flavor, but what is there is terrible. Corn. Vegetal matter. Slight metallic bittering notes near the finish. Leaves a cardboard-like staleness in the mouth that lingers long after the swallow. The warmer it gets, the more stale it gets, until it's nigh undrinkable.

Mouthfeel - Watery light, with lively carbonation. Smooth, at the very least.

Overall - How do I loathe this beer? I'd take a Regular Bud, Coors, Miller, all the other lights and even most of the Natty products over Bud Light. It's easily the worst of all the beers the macros have to offer. How this beer is the number one selling beer in the US continually eludes me... and yes, I did save this beer for my 666th review. :P

10-13-2013 01:28:24 | More by TheSixthRing
naireland

1.49/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Served from a chilled can into a snifter

A: pale piss yellow with slight fix

S: Staunchy and weak, smells of sweet yeast and corn

t: Yeast flavored water with no admirable or desirable taste.

m: cold and slightly carbonated, no detection of alcohol or bitterness

I consider Budlight to be "training beer". It's beer for people who don't really like beer but want to think they do. Ill admit that I spent my teen years being brainwashed into thinking this is what a brew was meant to be. I went on the tour in St. Louis twice, visited the tasting room, pet the Clydesdale, and heard the spiel about premium this, and age old technique that, got the t-shirt, etc. Well for years I have been drinking the stuff out of ignorance and finding that I didnt really care for beer.

I ended up only buying it or drinking it when I had to. Baseball games, Festivals, Casual lunches, etc but never once did I look forward to it or crave it. It was more less an mandated activity among friends. I could end this story by saying Anheuser ruined beer for me but I have have happier story in progress. One fine day I stopped into a bar for a lunch date only this wasn't just any bar, it was a premium beer only bar. Now up until this point I have only had PBR's, Coors, Miller, Bud, what have you and assumed that because they were the most popular that had to be the best. Boy was I stupid and the bartender was quick to point out that Macro brews were banned and that if I wanted a similar taste I could get a good draft beer and pour it into a pitcher of water. On that note I decided to make the rounds and went on a tour of all the finest micro brews that they had to offer. I settled on Morelien OTR as my favorite and to this day I have yet to touch a Bud Light.

I don't wan't to come off as a snob since there is an evident majority that prefers the Market beers but there is also a growing minority of beer lovers who demand a better beverage and I'm so thankful that the craft beer community is exploding and raising the bar. I can only hope that the Macro's take the hint and rejoin the competition.

08-20-2013 20:05:15 | More by naireland
CloudStrife

12oz can poured into a tulip. Born on July 8, 2013.

A: Pours a very pale light yellow. Crystal clear. Some visible carbonation. Head fizzles away after 30 seconds or so.

S: Light malts come across as sort of a stenchy bread. Not very complex just feels off.

T: Goes back like water, not much flavor gets in the way between your lips and your throat. If you're looking to avoid flavor for this is for you. Does a good job at being nondescript.

M: Light body, average carbonation. Certainly the sessionability they tout.

Overall if you havent had it I'm surprised you're on this website.

08-08-2013 00:32:06 | More by CloudStrife
JamesMcCauley93

4.25/5  rDev +129.7%

It really is easy to see why this is the best selling beer in the world. The stuff goes down easier than water, but brings all the feeling of a pleasant buzz. If you're a hop head or someone that only drinks craft, you have no business here, but if you like to spend a few hours enjoying a refreshing beer with your friends bud light does it as well as any other macro light. Also, like most of us I am the proud owner of a decent sized beer gut, a light beer once and while makes me feel like i've made healthy choice. Yes, theres nothing outstanding about bud light, but there is also absolutely nothing wrong with it. Thats what makes it the best selling beer in the world.

08-03-2013 03:06:48 | More by JamesMcCauley93
Carl_R

Oklahoma

2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

A - straw, light yellow

Smell - not much to the smell

T -not much taste, slight rice taste, crisp when cold

M - light and well carbonated

O - Nothing memorable about the beer, but it will do in a pinch on a hot day. Its best out of a ice cold cooler.

07-20-2013 01:54:41 | More by Carl_R
Haydn-Juby

Quebec (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Drank straight from a 355ml can

A: I split the can with my grandfather so i did get a look at it. Pale straw color topped with a one finger head. Retention was mild and lacing actually wasn't bad.

S: I couldn't get anything out of the can but perhaps thats not fair as most of my other reviews have been out of a bottle.

T: Very adjuncty. By this I mean the flavors of rice and it seemed like there was corn even though Bud doesn't claim to use it. Fairly sweet and watery with absolutely no hop flavor or bitterness to be found. Very plain but nothing really disgusting in it.

M: Crisp and goes down easily. Very fizzy and almost seltzer like to an extent.

O: It's just a Bud light at the end of the day. I'm not going to say it was awful because really it wasn't. I feel like too many craft nerds like to rip on bud when it reality its not bad in flavor profile its just absent. Probably would never buy it but if offered it I have no real problem with it.

06-17-2013 18:37:10 | More by Haydn-Juby
RCLOHR267

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev +96.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

This is my cheap light beer of choice. I know it's nothing special, but it got me through college. And when the other beers I could afford we're so terrible (keystone, nattie lite), this felt like upper class. So I will always have room and nostalgia for Bud Light!

06-02-2013 19:42:11 | More by RCLOHR267
Mackbekeza

Tennessee

1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

If you like beer that tastes very watery... hear you go! This is something I would buy if there was nothing else on the shelves. I honestly dont know why millions of people buy this beer. Maybe it't the fact that it does not taste like beer. its more like some kind of oddly flavored soda to me

05-27-2013 20:58:05 | More by Mackbekeza
armiakhe

3.56/5  rDev +92.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I thought the bud light was very good. The appearance was a light yellow coloring. The smell was of wheat and a little malt to it. THe taste was very crisp and refreshing and I enjoyed it a lot. Best out of the bottle but the can was alright too. The aroma was not that good and was a little bland.

04-26-2013 12:32:00 | More by armiakhe
Catherine8189

3.33/5  rDev +80%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served straight from a tallboy. Golden yellow appearance and a classic light beer. You can drink a lot of this beer. American beer taste. Toasted grains really come through in the aroma and taste, but there is not much flavor diversity beyond that. A very refreshing beer that has a lively, highly carbonated mouthfeel. Smooth taste, with bubbles, and with very little lingering aftertaste.

04-25-2013 23:39:36 | More by Catherine8189
GarthDanielson

1.58/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a tallboy into a shaker pint. I can't believe I'm doing this, but I used to drink so much of it before that I almost feel compelled to give it a shake now. The beer is a pale, almost clear, yellowish coloring with a frothy white head that quickly settles into a sparse coating of filmy, white bubbling. Fast, moderate amount of carbonation bubbling. Aromas of toasted grains, and not much else. Flavors of not a whole hell of a lot. Seriously. Clean, with some toasted grain characteristics, but very subtle. Aftertaste is funky, with a slightly floral and sour character to it. Clean, crisp finish. Very neat and clean brew, but lack just about every other quality.

04-06-2013 03:56:22 | More by GarthDanielson
bbluemzbeer

3.6/5  rDev +94.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am reviewing against other light beers. I drank this for my first beer and cold. It is pretty good. The poor rating on the site is ridiculous. Is this number one selling beer in America ? Because it is horrible or the millions they put in their advertisement. It is not the taste or quality. You think America consumers is that stupid.
Here is the honest review

Appearance : Yellow lager. I got little watery lacing run down the side of the glass.

Smell : hint cereal grains.

Tastes: It is taste like America style light. It taste of grains , corn and malt. It is better taste then some other light beers. Dry and crisp and actually very easy to drink.

Overal: This beer is smooth, crisp, refreshing, balanced, easy on the tongue. I wanted a light lager. I got it! I was not looking for ale, stout or wheat beer. Would buy this again ? On special occasions but I take a Busch light or natural light over this because price

04-01-2013 15:33:41 | More by bbluemzbeer