1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

Bud LightBud Light

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,881 | Reviews: 1,257 | Show All Ratings:
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

1.23/5  rDev -33.5%

Like stale ice water, flat club soda, too cold, nothing. Room temperature water is preferred. Slightly yellow, no head, a bit malts, Dry, metallic, can get one to swear off beer.This is one of America's most popular selling beers, what an embarrasment.

06-16-2005 04:31:37 | More by Sammy
UCLABrewN84

1.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear light yellow with an off-white head that fades to nothing. No lacing on this one. Smell is of grain, corn flakes, and metal. Taste is the same with a corn-like aftertaste that sticks around the palate. This beer has a low level of carbonation with a pretty flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty horrible beer with no real redeeming qualities.

06-19-2012 00:44:30 | More by UCLABrewN84
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.13/5  rDev -38.9%

I haven't had much bad beer in my life; not since I was a teenager anyway. And I'm pretty sure that I've never had a 'light/lite' beer. Nevertheless, I'm fairly certain what this one will deliver. Or fail to deliver. Here goes...

Perfectly clear light straw. The head is pure white and looks cheap, if that's possible. Big bubbles form a fizzy, airy pillow that recedes very quickly (this beer lost its head faster than Louis XVI). Lace? Uh... no. The smell is pretty subdued, but still manages to be unpleasant. Smells like sour grain.

The taste is even worse than I'd imagined. My facial muscles can't help but form a grimace. This stuff is sour and watery in the extreme. Do they actually try to make it taste like this? How is this beer so popular? I'd like to be able to describe the flavor with more detail, but I can't make myself drink any more than a few mouthfuls. The rest is going down the kitchen sink drain.

The only reason this 'beer' doesn't get straight 1.0s is that I can imagine worse, namely the low-carb offerings like Michelob Ultra. I may never have the dis(pleasure) to actually taste and review them though, because I will not be spending my hard-earned money to abuse my palate like that. If someone gives me a bottle... maybe.

My Belgian-made pint glass is none too pleased with me right now for filling it with this vile liquid. And my kitchen sink drain isn't too happy either. The pint glass says that it may forgive me if a Storm King Stout is in its immediate future.

01-05-2004 23:34:50 | More by BuckeyeNation
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.05/5  rDev +10.8%

The queen of beers,LOL. Well seriously I have been trying all of these to see what really makes them such great sellers. The only thing I can come up with is that they are cheap, and when cold go down like water. I guess this is for those who are drinking to get drunk. Anyway onward with my thoughts. Pale golden water with a whith fizzy head comes out of the bottle and into the glass. Head fades leaving nothing but the golden water and lots of visible carbonation. Smell was really not tere at all, maybe some slight rice or bread but nothing worth really noting on. The taste was even lighter then its original namesake, which is to be expected. Very light grain and rice flavors, malty with nothing else to add any complexity to it. This truly tastes like I am drinking water. Highly carbonated and served ice cold, I guess it could make a substitution for soda, but its just not something to drink to enjoy. It truly was light on everything.

03-06-2007 23:13:48 | More by mikesgroove
womencantsail

2.13/5  rDev +15.1%

A: The pour is even lighter than I recall. Clear with an ever so slight yellow tint and lots of CO2 bubbles. The head disappears almost instantly.

S: It smells pretty much like what you would expect: nothing. A slight grainy sweetness, but no skunk or hops or anything else, really.

T: Like the nose, there really isn't much to this beer. There' some sweetness provided by the grains, but otherwise it's very watery and bland.

M: Normally I don't mind the mouthfeel of light and adjunct lagers because they're quite bubbly and I enjoy that part of them. This, however is just so thin and doesn't have that same level of effervescence.

D: It is "drinkable" because it's so water-like, but I really have no desire to drink more of this beer. It's just so bland and flavorless; I would rather take another light lager over this.

01-25-2010 03:20:16 | More by womencantsail
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.13/5  rDev -38.9%

Bottle: Poured a very light yellow color lager with small bubbly head with not much retention. Aroma of adjunct and little else. Taste is very light indeed, similar to water with bit of corn in there. Body is so thin it’s unbelievable. Hard to believe but being stuck between the regular Bud and this, I would go with Bud.

09-06-2005 17:14:05 | More by Phyl21ca
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Enjoyed last night at a BJCP class tasting. Although the samples were quite small, the analysis and dialogue of the beer was quite thorough. The beer opens with a fizzy pour, quaint head formation, and terse retention. Highly carbonated, even evident to the eye. Aroams are very faint, and pick up on a mostly cereal grain / light pilsner malt character, and a hint of green apples and sulfer. Tastes more grain-flavored and adjunct sweetened than malty. Hops may add a touch of balance, but do little to impart any decernable flavors or aromas to the beer. Basically void of meaninful taste. Texture is quite flat from the lack of malts, but abrasive because of the carbonation (carbonic bite). Finishes clean (but so does water), and with a shap snappy finish. Difficult to praise, or to criticize -- there's just not much there.

09-26-2007 15:45:23 | More by BEERchitect
Thorpe429

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

On tap from the parents' keg.

G: Poured into the ubiquitous Bud Light pint glass.

A: Very pale colored with loads and loads of carbonation. White head that dissipates very quickly. Little lacing.

S: Slightly metallic and grainy. Nothing exceptional here. No hop presence, and any "malt" is simply the adjunct.

T: About the same as the smell, though the mouthfeel is certainly worse than the taste.

M: Very light. The carbonation level of seltzer water. Way, way, way too carbonated. No thank you. Although, the carbonation levels are much better on tap than out of the bottle.

D: This is "drinking game" drinkable. It's not skunky and I won't spit it out, but it lacks any real taste and the mouthfeel is absolutely atrocious.

04-21-2009 02:25:11 | More by Thorpe429
metter98

1.73/5  rDev -6.5%

A: The beer is crystal clear very light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface and a thicker collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of rice adjunct malts in the nose.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and is filled with flavors of rice. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels very light-bodied and also quite watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer goes down easily but I wouldn’t consider it to be that drinkable unless you have this ice cold. As the beer begins to warm up, the taste doesn’t make this beer that palatable.

06-22-2012 01:54:55 | More by metter98
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with a high degree of effervescence (like a soda) but no real head to speak of.

Smell: Nothing beyond a small hint of apple with some sweetish corn notes.

Taste: Rather watery straight from the first sip. Sweetish cereal taste with the faintest hint of apple. No real hop flavor or bitterness, though. Sad, watered down corn kernels on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: Is this a joke?

08-01-2008 02:18:40 | More by ChainGangGuy
TMoney2591

1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Who doesn't love free table-tappers? If only we won Quizzo more often... Anyway, it was inevitable this would be done, so let's just get down to it. Consider it a preface to Swill Tour 2010 (upcoming...trust me, it shall be painful).

It pours a clear pale straw topped by about a finger or so of white foam. The nose is very weak, comprising some very light wheat, rice, and corn syrup notes. The taste ain't much better, with bad blackened wheat and puffed rice dominating the proceedings, while some mildly sweet corn syrup tries vainly to clean things up a bit. (I'm not sure what I mean by that, but it made sense while I typed it.) The body seems infused with helium, with a moderate carbonation and a rather watery feel. Y'know, I have no idea why light beer was invented. Seriously, this just ain't good at all.

09-23-2010 04:48:11 | More by TMoney2591
NeroFiddled

2.85/5  rDev +54.1%

Pours a very clear, yellowish/light straw gold with a white head that drops almost immediately to just a collar. The aroma is quite limited but offers some dull maltiness if you seek it out. The body is light with a very fine carbonation that's gently crisp in the mouth. The flavor is limited as well, but offers a clean combination of gentle malt and mild hop. It finishes exceptionally clean and drying. There's not really much here, but I guess that's the point of light beer. What makes it stand out in its category, however, is that there's absolutely no off-flavor to it and the balance is dead on. Very well made.

11-18-2002 21:31:37 | More by NeroFiddled
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

341ml bottle. At a loud metal concert, I find myself very thirsty, and with the option of paying 3 bucks for a bottle of water, or 5 for this particular beer. So, went my thought pattern, when else will I have a chance (or desire) to review Bud Light? Two birds with one stone, as it were. The bottle is actually quite decent looking, sleek. At least I was able to get a glass to go with it.

This beer pours a crystal clear, very pale golden straw colour, with three fingers of thinly foamy, weakly puffy bone white head, which disappears rather hastily in front of my eyes, leaving little beyond a small spray of specked lace around the glass as it quickly sinks away.

It smells, well, the few times that I've been able to discern an aroma from water, well, that's what this smells like - maybe that water was a little too hard, and should be tested at the same rate - very faint, musty grain is all I'm really getting now. The taste is pretty much thin corn syrup, the water left over after straining rice, and nothing else, hops or otherwise.

The carbonation is quite anemic, the body thin and lightweight, by design, and smooth by the same boardroom paradigm. It finishes generally off-dry, a subtle grainy sweetness messing with an otherwise straight up filtered water experience.

Well, it sure goes down, like, um, you guessed it. I can't fault this for tasting bad, as it really is the picture of flavour neutrality, like too many other widely available products that I will refrain from naming here. What I can't seem to grok is drinking a case of these over an evening's activities - I'd much prefer a few well-made strong drinks, with unadulterated water in between.

11-28-2008 06:09:44 | More by biboergosum
feloniousmonk

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

What I am about to do now is true anomaly in the realm of this beer. I am going to open it, and pour it...into a glass. Really, this must happen once every 10,000,000 times this beer is consumed.
Color is a nothingness that yearns to be a thin, wan yellow shade, but can't quite do it. Well, I can see my hand on the other side of the glass, so that means it's a "real beer", right?
Aroma: too nice a word to use. "Stink" delivers more meaning. Ricey and sweet and sickly and sad, sharp and unpleasant.
Good head, though.
Taste? Again, that's not what they have in mind when they brew this, but I'll see what I can find...I can only wince, with every sip, so maybe I shouldn't be sipping. How about if I gulp it down? Hey, that didn't hurt at all! It went all the way down my throat, and soon it'll leave the opposite way. Didn't leave a trace through it's travels.
If one samples this, and attempts to examine it, it's nothing but repulsive. Throw them back by the caseful, the way they want you to, and it's another utterly meaningless exercise in mass consumption.
Water tastes a Hell of a lot better, and is cheaper, too!
Clearly, not brewed with the likes of me in mind, but hey, if you enjoy draining bottles and cans of nothingness down your gullet, be my guest.

11-03-2003 00:25:17 | More by feloniousmonk
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

On-tap, served in a large mug glass.

A: The beer is a light straw yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains some light malts and adjuncts with a tiny bit of hops.

T: The taste doesn't have very much to it as you would expect from this type of beer. It's watery with some adjunct sweetness and a very faint touch of hops. There's a very thin malt character. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not flavorful at all, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there's nothing to it, not too filling, very mild kick, it's certainly a light beer but there are definitely other light beers that I would pick first if I had to.

04-07-2009 00:40:14 | More by TheManiacalOne
russpowell

Oklahoma

2.25/5  rDev +21.6%

I had the coach on my son's soccer team give this to me for helping out (no good deed goes unpunished?) So why not review prior to foisting the rest off on my guests at the next bbq I host?

Pours light golden, with very good effervescence & a 3 fingers+ white head that quickly dissapeared with zero lacing

Smell: slight cornyness & fruittiness

Taste: Corny & slight fruitiness. Finishes crisp & dry but thin

MF: Thin& spritzy

Drinks okay, all things considered. I consider this the best of the worst as far as macroswill goes. Still does the job after cutting the lawn

05-21-2006 04:30:51 | More by russpowell
WesWes

2.35/5  rDev +27%

The beer pours an almost clear color with a slight yellow hue. It has a frothy white head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is almost non-existant. This beer is full of adjuncts and little malts. There is a small amount of bitter skunkiness to the aroma. The taste is almost non-existant. I feel like the dudes in the Miller Lite commercials who are pissed they can't taste their beer. It is very watered down and devoid of any flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is what the health freaks are drinking these days. I pitty them. I'll keep my beer gut and continue enjoying good beer, however many carbs it contains.

03-30-2004 01:33:13 | More by WesWes
drabmuh

Maryland

2.28/5  rDev +23.2%

Bad beer Thursday 2011, week 1. Every week for the year of 2011, on Thursday nights, I will give a "bad beer" a fair rating and review. This week, Bud Light. "Smooth and refreshing light beer" - I'll be the judge of that.

Beer poured from a 12 ounce blue can into a stange glass (I thought this the most appropriate). I poured the beer hard and was surprised by the amount of head I got on it, seriously huge. Beer is clear and light yellow with moderate and steady carbonation and a huge white head of medium bubbles that slowly falls away leaving some lacing on the sides of the cylindrical glass. Beer is completely clear, I can literally read through the glass. Looks like beer.

Aroma is sweet and almost soapy. It has this odd late aroma that is pretty off putting but it does not have that terrible boiled corn aroma some of these beers get.

Beer is served ice cold, as per instructions, and as a result, all the flavors are on the back half of the palate. The front 1/2 to 2/3 of the palate are completely blank. It is literally water until the grain bitterness at the back, and I use bitterness loosely here. There is a slight aftertaste but for the most part it is like drinking water.

I picked Bud Light for the inaugural week of Bad Beer Thursdays 2011 because I could not honestly say that I had actually had this beer. I hate Budweiser (the company) as much as the next guy, their market presence dilutes the craft market but as far as a beer goes, this is about as plain and bland as it gets. There's really nothing wrong with it, no off flavors, just a nothing watery beer.

01-07-2011 01:18:47 | More by drabmuh
Mora2000

2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

The beer pours a very clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma has a lot of grain notes, as well as a hint of grass from the hops. The flavor is more of the same. Grain and biscuit malt dominate, with some grass and the slightest hint of bitterness. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a good beer, but nothing offensive. It basically just smells and tastes like nothing.

08-06-2012 03:43:47 | More by Mora2000
zeff80

Missouri

1.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. can. It is clear yellow color that is highly carbonated. It smells of alcohol and faintly of corn. The taste is very watery. Maybe there is some malt flavor mixed in there too. Mouthfeel is very fizzy. It's only drinkable because it is so light.

06-30-2006 15:19:09 | More by zeff80
Knapp85

1.5/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this at my first Devils game. Only got it because I had never tried it before and I thought maybe it'd be worth trying. Totally wasn't worth 7 bucks that's for sure.

Yellow in color, flavor is very minimal, absolutely nothing else to really say about this brew other than it's got a slight sweetness to it which is nice I suppose. I never need to have this beer again.

03-20-2011 16:27:46 | More by Knapp85
jwc215

Wisconsin

7 oz. bottle - Born on date of May 6, 2006.
Poured light pale straw colored with a very thin white head.
Hardly any smell - There was a whiff of something - but nothing I could put my finger on (adjuncts - but slight).
The taste was very watery. It was not too offensive because of lack of anything.
Nothing is left in the mouth but the feeling of water and some fairly non-offensive adjuncts.
This is as drinkable as tap water. It's not as offensive as some other light beers I've tried, but it lacks any real beer flavor or character. This is another failed attempt at making a light beer that tastes like beer. I've had low-alcohol beer that tastes more like beer.

07-14-2006 16:34:59 | More by jwc215
WVbeergeek

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Bud Light is the most unoffensive beer in the world. The appearance is a pale golden fizzy yellow tone with a highly carbonated fizzy white head that does stay around for a little suprisingly not much lace going on here. Aroma is not off just mild sweetness derived from corn, rice, and malted barley. My theory is that people who don't like beer drink this beer, because you don't have to think about it there's not much to analyze here or to taste for that matter. Flavors blend smoothly because nothing stands out enough to collide so this is for the masses and their marketing campaign allows them to reach more people than I can fathom. Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated like a soda water flavored beer. Drinkability on a couple levels does this challenge my senses and make me yearn for another well no, but can I drink alot of this low alcohol light beer yes probably a 12 pack but is it worth it not in my opinion.

08-02-2003 14:44:43 | More by WVbeergeek
Gavage

1.98/5  rDev +7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: pours a crystal clear pale yellow color with a 1/2" head that falls apart quickly. No lacing develops.

Smell: slight corn and grass aroma that is really not too pleasant.

Taste: very weak malt profile with some grass, corn, hint of a green grape tartness, and little bitterness.

Mouthfeel: crisp throughout. Light in body. Aftertaste is clean.

Drinkability: the pure lack of any flavor make this hard to drink. Go find a Sam Adams Light if you want some flavor in the style.

04-12-2009 19:50:20 | More by Gavage
Halcyondays

2.75/5  rDev +48.6%

On-tap at Michael's Bar and Grill in Huntington Beach, CA,

A: Pours a very pale yellow, with good, soapy, white head initially, but disintegrates quickly to nothing, and doesn't reappear on subsequent pours.

S: Very bad, very off-putting, smells of stale corn and skunk.

T: Although the smell is bad, the taste is not horrible. Tastes mainly of corn, a true corn lager, with a hint of malt and hops.

M: Very light, highly carbonated, though I sense a fuller body than most light lagers.

D: Not a bad beer for a light lager, definitely better than Miller Lite, but not something I would buy regularly, for my light beers I enjoy a nice German-style Helles or Pilsner.

09-16-2007 03:38:48 | More by Halcyondays