Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
Knapp85

1.5/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this at my first Devils game. Only got it because I had never tried it before and I thought maybe it'd be worth trying. Totally wasn't worth 7 bucks that's for sure.

Yellow in color, flavor is very minimal, absolutely nothing else to really say about this brew other than it's got a slight sweetness to it which is nice I suppose. I never need to have this beer again.

03-20-2011 16:27:46 | More by Knapp85
TMoney2591

1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Who doesn't love free table-tappers? If only we won Quizzo more often... Anyway, it was inevitable this would be done, so let's just get down to it. Consider it a preface to Swill Tour 2010 (upcoming...trust me, it shall be painful).

It pours a clear pale straw topped by about a finger or so of white foam. The nose is very weak, comprising some very light wheat, rice, and corn syrup notes. The taste ain't much better, with bad blackened wheat and puffed rice dominating the proceedings, while some mildly sweet corn syrup tries vainly to clean things up a bit. (I'm not sure what I mean by that, but it made sense while I typed it.) The body seems infused with helium, with a moderate carbonation and a rather watery feel. Y'know, I have no idea why light beer was invented. Seriously, this just ain't good at all.

09-23-2010 04:48:11 | More by TMoney2591
zeff80

Missouri

1.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. can. It is clear yellow color that is highly carbonated. It smells of alcohol and faintly of corn. The taste is very watery. Maybe there is some malt flavor mixed in there too. Mouthfeel is very fizzy. It's only drinkable because it is so light.

06-30-2006 15:19:09 | More by zeff80
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.03/5  rDev +9.7%

341ml bottle. At a loud metal concert, I find myself very thirsty, and with the option of paying 3 bucks for a bottle of water, or 5 for this particular beer. So, went my thought pattern, when else will I have a chance (or desire) to review Bud Light? Two birds with one stone, as it were. The bottle is actually quite decent looking, sleek. At least I was able to get a glass to go with it.

This beer pours a crystal clear, very pale golden straw colour, with three fingers of thinly foamy, weakly puffy bone white head, which disappears rather hastily in front of my eyes, leaving little beyond a small spray of specked lace around the glass as it quickly sinks away.

It smells, well, the few times that I've been able to discern an aroma from water, well, that's what this smells like - maybe that water was a little too hard, and should be tested at the same rate - very faint, musty grain is all I'm really getting now. The taste is pretty much thin corn syrup, the water left over after straining rice, and nothing else, hops or otherwise.

The carbonation is quite anemic, the body thin and lightweight, by design, and smooth by the same boardroom paradigm. It finishes generally off-dry, a subtle grainy sweetness messing with an otherwise straight up filtered water experience.

Well, it sure goes down, like, um, you guessed it. I can't fault this for tasting bad, as it really is the picture of flavour neutrality, like too many other widely available products that I will refrain from naming here. What I can't seem to grok is drinking a case of these over an evening's activities - I'd much prefer a few well-made strong drinks, with unadulterated water in between.

11-28-2008 06:09:44 | More by biboergosum
westcoastbeerlvr

1.5/5  rDev -18.9%

01-11-2013 01:51:24 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
largadeer

Appearance - Pale yellow, practically colorless, with a fizzy, soda-like head that disappears almost instantly.

Smell - A bit of husky grain, but it's difficult to pick out anything specific. Nothing going on here.

Taste/mouthfeel - A touch of cereal grain sweetness, no bitterness whatsoever. Not much else to it. Beyond light-bodied; more watery than anything. Excessive carbonation creates a fizzy, club soda-like mouthfeel. This is without a doubt the blandest beer I've tried thus far. I guess that's the point, but it's definitely not my thing. I'll take a pils or helles lager instead.

03-06-2008 23:44:28 | More by largadeer
NeroFiddled

2.85/5  rDev +54.1%

Pours a very clear, yellowish/light straw gold with a white head that drops almost immediately to just a collar. The aroma is quite limited but offers some dull maltiness if you seek it out. The body is light with a very fine carbonation that's gently crisp in the mouth. The flavor is limited as well, but offers a clean combination of gentle malt and mild hop. It finishes exceptionally clean and drying. There's not really much here, but I guess that's the point of light beer. What makes it stand out in its category, however, is that there's absolutely no off-flavor to it and the balance is dead on. Very well made.

11-18-2002 21:31:37 | More by NeroFiddled
nickfl

2.7/5  rDev +45.9%

A - Poured with one finger of white head into the appropriate glassware (a shaker pint, of course). The foam settles quickly and leaves no lace. The body is a pale, straw yellow and perfectly clear.

S - Light, grainy sweetness. Otherwise, very clean.

T - Some slightly sweet, husky malt up front... and then nothing else. Finishes clean with a slight graininess and maybe the vague ghost of a hop leaf.

M - Light body, moderately high carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

D - This is very easy to drink, possibly easier to drink than water. It has a remarkable lack of flavor. Bud heavy has some grainy malt and green apple off flavors, but this is a truly clean beer. This beer is the equivalent of some mad scientist managing to create an actual army of zombies; the sheer wrongness of its existence is abhorrent, but at the same time one can't help but marvel at the technical achievement. And in the end, that is really what this beer is, an empty, soulless, horrifically drinkable, zombie of a beer.

10-22-2009 01:19:43 | More by nickfl
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

On-tap, served in a large mug glass.

A: The beer is a light straw yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains some light malts and adjuncts with a tiny bit of hops.

T: The taste doesn't have very much to it as you would expect from this type of beer. It's watery with some adjunct sweetness and a very faint touch of hops. There's a very thin malt character. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not flavorful at all, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there's nothing to it, not too filling, very mild kick, it's certainly a light beer but there are definitely other light beers that I would pick first if I had to.

04-07-2009 00:40:14 | More by TheManiacalOne
Jason

1.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Presentation: 22 oz brown wide mouth bottle, “born on date” on the label for freshness. This sample was pour into a frozen mug to bring it to optimum temperature.

Appearance: Palest yellow that a beer could be you would guess, almost colourless to a point. Exceptional clarity with a faint wispy white lace.

Smell: Very clean aroma, nearly nothing there. Cereal grains and a light whiff of filtered grain reaches the nose.

Taste: Very light bodied, close to bone dry. Thin seltzer like mouth feel. Virtually no hops noticeable to the tongue until the crispness kicks and subsides … bitterness seems to only ride the wave of seltzer like carbonation, but little at that. Malt is extremely thin and scant to the palate. Touch of grain and husk in the flavour but that is about it. Bone dry finish comes to no surprise.

Notes: This beer is for the tasteless beer drinker that thinks there is only ONE beer out there. You may as well drink some seltzer water with alcohol added to it … get the picture, you are not a real beer drinker!

08-30-2001 01:13:41 | More by Jason
feloniousmonk

1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

What I am about to do now is true anomaly in the realm of this beer. I am going to open it, and pour it...into a glass. Really, this must happen once every 10,000,000 times this beer is consumed.
Color is a nothingness that yearns to be a thin, wan yellow shade, but can't quite do it. Well, I can see my hand on the other side of the glass, so that means it's a "real beer", right?
Aroma: too nice a word to use. "Stink" delivers more meaning. Ricey and sweet and sickly and sad, sharp and unpleasant.
Good head, though.
Taste? Again, that's not what they have in mind when they brew this, but I'll see what I can find...I can only wince, with every sip, so maybe I shouldn't be sipping. How about if I gulp it down? Hey, that didn't hurt at all! It went all the way down my throat, and soon it'll leave the opposite way. Didn't leave a trace through it's travels.
If one samples this, and attempts to examine it, it's nothing but repulsive. Throw them back by the caseful, the way they want you to, and it's another utterly meaningless exercise in mass consumption.
Water tastes a Hell of a lot better, and is cheaper, too!
Clearly, not brewed with the likes of me in mind, but hey, if you enjoy draining bottles and cans of nothingness down your gullet, be my guest.

11-03-2003 00:25:17 | More by feloniousmonk
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Bud Light is the most unoffensive beer in the world. The appearance is a pale golden fizzy yellow tone with a highly carbonated fizzy white head that does stay around for a little suprisingly not much lace going on here. Aroma is not off just mild sweetness derived from corn, rice, and malted barley. My theory is that people who don't like beer drink this beer, because you don't have to think about it there's not much to analyze here or to taste for that matter. Flavors blend smoothly because nothing stands out enough to collide so this is for the masses and their marketing campaign allows them to reach more people than I can fathom. Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated like a soda water flavored beer. Drinkability on a couple levels does this challenge my senses and make me yearn for another well no, but can I drink alot of this low alcohol light beer yes probably a 12 pack but is it worth it not in my opinion.

08-02-2003 14:44:43 | More by WVbeergeek
russpowell

Oklahoma

2.25/5  rDev +21.6%

I had the coach on my son's soccer team give this to me for helping out (no good deed goes unpunished?) So why not review prior to foisting the rest off on my guests at the next bbq I host?

Pours light golden, with very good effervescence & a 3 fingers+ white head that quickly dissapeared with zero lacing

Smell: slight cornyness & fruittiness

Taste: Corny & slight fruitiness. Finishes crisp & dry but thin

MF: Thin& spritzy

Drinks okay, all things considered. I consider this the best of the worst as far as macroswill goes. Still does the job after cutting the lawn

05-21-2006 04:30:51 | More by russpowell
drabmuh

Maryland

2.28/5  rDev +23.2%

Bad beer Thursday 2011, week 1. Every week for the year of 2011, on Thursday nights, I will give a "bad beer" a fair rating and review. This week, Bud Light. "Smooth and refreshing light beer" - I'll be the judge of that.

Beer poured from a 12 ounce blue can into a stange glass (I thought this the most appropriate). I poured the beer hard and was surprised by the amount of head I got on it, seriously huge. Beer is clear and light yellow with moderate and steady carbonation and a huge white head of medium bubbles that slowly falls away leaving some lacing on the sides of the cylindrical glass. Beer is completely clear, I can literally read through the glass. Looks like beer.

Aroma is sweet and almost soapy. It has this odd late aroma that is pretty off putting but it does not have that terrible boiled corn aroma some of these beers get.

Beer is served ice cold, as per instructions, and as a result, all the flavors are on the back half of the palate. The front 1/2 to 2/3 of the palate are completely blank. It is literally water until the grain bitterness at the back, and I use bitterness loosely here. There is a slight aftertaste but for the most part it is like drinking water.

I picked Bud Light for the inaugural week of Bad Beer Thursdays 2011 because I could not honestly say that I had actually had this beer. I hate Budweiser (the company) as much as the next guy, their market presence dilutes the craft market but as far as a beer goes, this is about as plain and bland as it gets. There's really nothing wrong with it, no off flavors, just a nothing watery beer.

01-07-2011 01:18:47 | More by drabmuh
SocalKicks

1.75/5  rDev -5.4%

03-07-2012 04:02:23 | More by SocalKicks
Slatetank

05-23-2013 16:44:29 | More by Slatetank
WesWes

2.35/5  rDev +27%

The beer pours an almost clear color with a slight yellow hue. It has a frothy white head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is almost non-existant. This beer is full of adjuncts and little malts. There is a small amount of bitter skunkiness to the aroma. The taste is almost non-existant. I feel like the dudes in the Miller Lite commercials who are pissed they can't taste their beer. It is very watered down and devoid of any flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is what the health freaks are drinking these days. I pitty them. I'll keep my beer gut and continue enjoying good beer, however many carbs it contains.

03-30-2004 01:33:13 | More by WesWes
Mora2000

2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

The beer pours a very clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma has a lot of grain notes, as well as a hint of grass from the hops. The flavor is more of the same. Grain and biscuit malt dominate, with some grass and the slightest hint of bitterness. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a good beer, but nothing offensive. It basically just smells and tastes like nothing.

08-06-2012 03:43:47 | More by Mora2000
Rifugium

Rating: 0.0
First had: ?

The light version of an already light and terrible beer. The lesser son of the King of Beers, Bud Light retains all the qualities of its forebearer: light straw color, fizzy, watery, and soda-like, with almost no semblance to beer whatsoever. Taste is metallic and of stale urea. Mouthfell is watery and a stale, rotten aftertaste is left behind. To be avoided at all costs.

04-29-2011 17:23:25 | More by Rifugium
StonedTrippin

Colorado

1.65/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1

this is rotten stuff almost every single time, in any format, from any location. ive somehow not reviewed this until now, although ive ranted about it constantly. not just for its low quality, but for its social position and politics, both of which I cannot tolerate at all. I did manage to have this fresh at the brewery though, and must confess that in that context, it is passable, albeit as a light adjunct brew, it didn't have its usual skunky metallic profile. in normal format though, this is swill I wont even usually touch. pee yellow, very fizzy, and tasting like anything but good fresh beer. I marvel at how millions of people consider this the good stuff, and how much profit it generates for its creators. to me, I would rather not drink honestly. the amount of these it would take me to get drunk is sickening, and hopefully I wont embark on that mission anytime soon. aren't they in a lawsuit for having watered this down? watering down water, that's a laugh...

06-18-2013 17:42:47 | More by StonedTrippin
mdfb79

2.5/5  rDev +35.1%

Review #2000! I reviewed this over a year ago but recently noticed that for some reason that was never explained to me that the review got deleted, so figured I'd review it again. Poured from a 12 oz. can into my Portsmouth 20th Anniversary pilsner glass because why the hell not. BA suggests a pilsner glass so let's go with that.

a - Pours a bright, pale straw yellow color that is very transparent, one finger of fluffy white head that only lasts a few seconds, and high carbonation evident. No lacing left on the glass and no head retention at all. Looks like most light BMC beers.

s - Smells of corn, grains, wheat, and light sweet pale malts. Not much going on at all, but not skunky light some other light lagers.

t - Tastes of corn, lightly sweet, grains, bread, and wheat. Again, not offensive but nothing going on. Not skunky at all.

m - Light body and low to moderate carbonation. Light, watery mouthfeel.

o - Overall this is not a good beer, but it is a lot better than any Miller product, and is very easy to drink. It is not as watery and tasteless as Coors Light either; I think it's the best of the BMC light lagers, though that isn't saying much. Obviously nothing to seek out but I've had much worse and much more offensive craft beers, that I would rate below this. Most people will give it a bad grade due to it being a light lager produced by a BMC company, but it isn't offensive or skunky at all. Most of the beers on the "Bottom of the List" list are worse than this one; while it might deserve to be on the list, it should be much lower than #5.

03-28-2012 23:08:42 | More by mdfb79
mactrail

Washington

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

This Bud's for somebody else.

Pours a pale yellow in the glass with a big head which quickly dissipates. It really does feel and taste like seltzer water, but maybe that's a plus given the lack of flavor. Barest hint of malt. I can't actually taste any hops. A dry, carbonation flavor, which I guess is what club soda is about.

I haven't done an extensive investigation into this style, so I may be missing some nuances here. Really cheap lagers from Honduras and India seem to have more flavor, so they must have determined that less flavor is what they're after. But it does seem like this is a suggestion of beer, a marketing campaign like the Marlboro Man.

06-15-2011 22:07:31 | More by mactrail
jwc215

Wisconsin

7 oz. bottle - Born on date of May 6, 2006.
Poured light pale straw colored with a very thin white head.
Hardly any smell - There was a whiff of something - but nothing I could put my finger on (adjuncts - but slight).
The taste was very watery. It was not too offensive because of lack of anything.
Nothing is left in the mouth but the feeling of water and some fairly non-offensive adjuncts.
This is as drinkable as tap water. It's not as offensive as some other light beers I've tried, but it lacks any real beer flavor or character. This is another failed attempt at making a light beer that tastes like beer. I've had low-alcohol beer that tastes more like beer.

07-14-2006 16:34:59 | More by jwc215
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

12-06-2011 18:04:08 | More by Rochefort10nh
Halcyondays

2.75/5  rDev +48.6%

On-tap at Michael's Bar and Grill in Huntington Beach, CA,

A: Pours a very pale yellow, with good, soapy, white head initially, but disintegrates quickly to nothing, and doesn't reappear on subsequent pours.

S: Very bad, very off-putting, smells of stale corn and skunk.

T: Although the smell is bad, the taste is not horrible. Tastes mainly of corn, a true corn lager, with a hint of malt and hops.

M: Very light, highly carbonated, though I sense a fuller body than most light lagers.

D: Not a bad beer for a light lager, definitely better than Miller Lite, but not something I would buy regularly, for my light beers I enjoy a nice German-style Helles or Pilsner.

09-16-2007 03:38:48 | More by Halcyondays