Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
SFGuy187

2.08/5  rDev +13%

Had one the other night because that was all that was available. I'd forgotten how watery a beer can be, and yet not be water. Mild and slightly sweet, a beer designed for mass consumption by the masses. When I drink Bud Light, I feel as if my soul has been sacrificed to the Gods of mediocrity.

05-12-2011 08:32:28 | More by SFGuy187
WoodBrew

2.48/5  rDev +34.8%

Its a simple beer. Good for after sweating in teh yard or on the court....or whatever. The color is golden clear with decent carbonation. The smell is grainy if anything. The taste is light grainy water taste. Mouthfeel is fine could drink alot of it...if that was all there was.

05-12-2011 01:19:57 | More by WoodBrew
weller1js

West Virginia

2.75/5  rDev +49.5%

appearance: pours a clear, pale yellow, heavily carbonated, yet no lasting foaming or lacing.

smell: corn and rice scent, no other discernable scents.

taste: what one would expect from a typical light beer, watery and lacking distinctive attributes, except for a light bitterness brought on by the limited nature of whatever hops go into it.

drinkability: it is what it is; for a light lager it is a prime example, nothing to rave about, but drinkable.

05-11-2011 01:41:18 | More by weller1js
Gtreid

1.02/5  rDev -44.6%

I typically like can beer, I have a bad feeling about this. It has probably been 3 or more years since I've had a BL.

A: Yellow. Pretty fizzy head, no lace, no retention.

A: Corn and maybe some light pilsen malt.

T: Really, why I am drinking this? Tastes of wet corn, maybe some rice, but really just like corn flavored water.

M: None.

O: This is pretty bad. I hadn't had one in a long time, and it will be even longer till I have another. Bad. Stay away at all costs. Skal.

05-09-2011 16:48:24 | More by Gtreid
jodmike2000

South Carolina

2.25/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bud Light what can I say this is a beer i have enjoyed many of times.
A. had a 12 ounce can poured into a pint glass.
color is very dull and clear a slight golden
color.

S. not much here in the way of smell.

T. watered down taste maybe a hint of cereal.

M. slight carbonation but very easy to drink

O. Bud light is what it is a great beer to grab
a case and head to the lake.

05-07-2011 19:53:43 | More by jodmike2000
Nerudamann

Oregon

2.88/5  rDev +56.5%

Poured from a can into a stein glass.

Look - pale golden color, clear, with about two fingers worth of off-white colored foam that dissipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - definitely more adjunct or cereal-smelling. Nothing much else in the smell.

Taste and Mouthfeel - not much in the taste at all. There's a little bit of a hint of cereal grain taste, but not much else other than that. The texture is very smooth and close to watery.

Overall - not bad tasting, but not tasting either...as it doesn't really have much of a taste.

05-04-2011 05:58:40 | More by Nerudamann
ghetto90007

1.27/5  rDev -31%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Sitting in my hotel room in Las Vegas and thought I'd give this one a try, just for kicks.

Pale straw yellow, white head that disappears quickly - just a slight film remains. Some lacing, better than expected.

Smells of a bit of sweet malt and some foul grains.

Malt, with a hint of sweetness, cereal grains worthy only of livestock. The flavors are all very dumbed down. Mild bitterness. Gross, confused aftertaste.

Light bodied, club soda level carbonation.

Just an awful beer. Honestly, I think I'd rather have a Coors Light. At least Coors Light is more or less tasteless.

05-04-2011 05:51:12 | More by ghetto90007
Mozz74

2.63/5  rDev +42.9%

My default beer out of trash beers as I call them. It is like water.
Taste is better than other chaeap bers. I have aquired the ability to find a taste over the other cheapos.
It is at every party reguardless, so i call it dependable.
Cheap if you want to have a cheap night or do a beer bust.

05-03-2011 00:02:35 | More by Mozz74
Rifugium

Rating: 0.0
First had: ?

The light version of an already light and terrible beer. The lesser son of the King of Beers, Bud Light retains all the qualities of its forebearer: light straw color, fizzy, watery, and soda-like, with almost no semblance to beer whatsoever. Taste is metallic and of stale urea. Mouthfell is watery and a stale, rotten aftertaste is left behind. To be avoided at all costs.

04-29-2011 17:23:25 | More by Rifugium
MaltsOfGlory

Oregon

1.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a big one and a half finger head, it will be gone in seconds I'm sure. The head is completely white, and the body is yellow, with loads of carbonation and transparency. Looks pretty crappy to me, nothing good at all. Like I predicted the head is gone now, we'll see if I can get any lacing out of this. The nose is pretty one sided on this, all I get is sour adjuncts and sour malt, really nothing else to speak of. I mean it smells like an adjunct lager, but to the point where is almost doesn't even smell like beer anymore. Is the flavor terrible? No, but it is very weird, and by no means good. Very watery in the front end, and frankly all the way through the drink. In the middle you get a little malt and a little sourness, and in the end you get a very weird, funky aftertaste. The mouthfeel is horrible, nothing good there whatsoever. The drinkability isn't terrible, but that's only because it tastes like water, gross water. Overall, it's ridiculously light, almost no flavor at all, and in some areas it has some significantly gross flavors, compared to other adjunct lagers. Not hard to drink, not a god awful taste, but overall pretty damn bad.

P.S. it did end up giving me ok lacing, one funny note on that though - when I poured in the rest of the bottle, the head fizzed away in less than 10 seconds, probably 5.

04-27-2011 03:42:35 | More by MaltsOfGlory
jspegg

2.7/5  rDev +46.7%

Bud Light, the most popular beer in the world. It should also be noted that they have the most hilarious commercials on television.

I figured after reading a number of reviews of this product that I'd give it a go and put it into a context that seems to be absent in other reviews.

12 oz. can, born on date printed on the can, has a distinctive crack upon opening.

A - Pours a bright transparent yellow. Loaded with carbonation.

S - Smells like what it is, inexpensive light brew. Not great. Not great at all. Luckily, it doesn't have much smell because what the smell it does have is pretty terrible.

T - Tastes like watered down Budweiser, because that's what it is. Carbonation bites and this thing is very crisp. Flavor isn't overwhelming by any means, but I think they nailed it with the "drinkability" slogan. Taste instantly reminds me of college. I could easily slug a gross amount more.

M - Very watered down, thin. After having literally any other type of brew (other than another light lager) you realize that this thing isn't bringing much to the table regarding substance.

O - This beer is satisfying and comes into play at all the right times. This and Miller Lite are my tailgating beers and my beach/pool side beers. I'm not sure what the "real beer drinker" does when they go to a tailgate, pig pickin', or to the pool/beach, but I bring these badboys with me every time. Refreshing as can be under the sun and compliments an eastern NC BBQ sandwich like you wouldn't believe. Clearly, these beers come into play when doing (generally) 1 of 2 things: either slugging brews all day in the sun or stuffing my face with delicious food before a football/baseball game (without getting overly full).

Cheers. Take it for what it is... and IMO it just ain't that bad.

04-24-2011 15:49:08 | More by jspegg
bobhits

Kentucky

1.05/5  rDev -42.9%

This beer has been insulting my fridge since a friend left me with it. So what the hell review it and get rid of it.

Poured into a pint glass (sorry to sam adams for using a glass with their logo). Poured a white medium bubbled head that vanished in moments. A good amount of bubbles racing to the top of this beer, marginally large. Wow, clear and yes just yellow in color. Perhaps a touch of a golden wheat color, but really this looks light and flavorless. None of the yeast or density one sees in a good german lager or other lagers with character.

The smell is just awful. Sweet corn and alcohol? That honestly sounds way too good. Is it possible that this beer smells of water?

There is malt in this beer that isn’t awful, but the beer finishes with this metallic (this was from a bottle) and alcohol like finishes. I used to think of bud light as flavorless and over carbonated beer. Today this beer has a decent flavor to start that finishes in such an awful and terrible finishes that I truly am baffled why people drink it. This beer is only tolerable on the front of the tongue. Drink quickly (the norm) at the finishes is just painful going down.

I don’t understand the drink ability stuff. This is painful to drink. It is over carbonated, the finishes it terrible, and frankly just why do they make it?

I know this is odd to say, but there is a lot more flavor than people give credit to this beer. It has a decent malt start (for a lager) but it just goes to hell from there. That metallic/alcohol finishes is terrible. 4.5% and it has that kinda awful finish? So how do I score this beer? It is a light lager which I don’t get. It has as many calories as Guinness so I’m not sure what light even means. It isn’t diet as there are calories. It isn’t any more summer weather than something even like their “bud heavy.” Why do people drink this? Ultimately there isn’t anything about this beer that stands up to a good beer. Sure smell is offensive and the over carbonated mess with a lack luster flavor makes this thing completely undrinkable. If I could truly score this correctly I’d need negative numbers to properly explain how awful this over fizzed, vomit inducing smelling, mess works.

04-20-2011 22:06:21 | More by bobhits
NickRivers

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

A&S - Really nothing there, mostly urine-like aroma and appearance, very pale lots of straw, light corn on the nose.

T&M - Very clean and crisp, not much flavor, goes down extremely easy.

O - A pass in my opinion.

Nothing to say that hasn't been said. I love me some Land Shark when it comes to adjunct lagers. Just a little more flavor than a Corona, perfect for the Mexican favorite, a cool refreshing Michelada.

04-19-2011 06:21:56 | More by NickRivers
olympuszymurgus

1.85/5  rDev +0.5%

A style review of the best selling bear in the USA. America. These Great States. The Union. The Unites States of America.

Can procured after a barbecue last summer, sat on the porch since then. Born on 22JUL2010.

It opens with a hiss and a a puff of foam. Pouring into a tulip it looks kinda good. More yellow than brown, it looks artificial. Not an ugly brew, but pretty much perfect for the style. I go in for a smell and despite the voluminous head and vigorous carbonation, there is no smell. it is, to say the least, creepy.

Taste is painfully unremarkable. It so similar to seltzer water, I can't figure a difference. Some fucked up skanky ass homebrew would be better, at least I would have something to hate instead of this maddening middle class style apathy.

Mouthfeel is on par for the style, like carbonated water. Nothing remarkable about it, but nothing offensive.

Overall, I don't like this. I don't want anymore. I don't want to finish the glass. But is it gross? is it killing babies and offending my grandmother? No. It's just sad. I wish I could hate it, but really, it's hard to hate nothing.

04-13-2011 03:24:08 | More by olympuszymurgus
Azurescens

Washington

1.73/5  rDev -6%

I gotta say I haven't had one of these in years. My friend at work (who knows I drink good beer) gave me one of these towards the end of a 12hr day. I figured I'd take it home to review it rather than drink this straight out of the can or a coffee mug.

12oz can with canned on date 1/22/11 poured into Mac & Jacks pint glass, reviewed on 4/7/11

A: Pours an extremely pale light straw color with thin head consisting of large bubbles that rapidly fade leaving little to no film or lacing around glass.

S: The dominant smells are an unpleasant metallic note, some grains, perhaps corn and base malt. As bad as I want to smell some hops, they just are not present here.

T: The metallic smell is picked up in the taste as well, but not as strongly as the nose. Tastes like carbonated water or club soda with a pinch of grain. No hop taste to be found.

M: Probably the best part about this beer. Extremely thin and dry but smoother than I had anticipated.

O: Far, far from a good beer but I know for a fact that I have had much worse. If the flavors in this were magnified, I'm sure it would be worthy of a drain pour, but the fact is, this tastes so close to carbonated water that I am going to finish drinking this glass for the hell of it.

04-08-2011 05:50:15 | More by Azurescens
ElCommodoro

2.2/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer is more watery than Busch. I really couldn't discern a taste from it. It poured a transparent bright yellow with a bone white head that disappeared quickly. It smelled like carbon dioxide with a hint of cereal malt. When it came to taste, I couldn't taste a damn thing. I grabbed a bag of Cheezy poofs since I didn't want to sit around drinking what appeared to be yellow carbonated water. It went well with the Cheezy Poofs.

04-03-2011 06:34:23 | More by ElCommodoro
steveclarkus

South Carolina

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

This must be the best selling beer in America and I can't fathom why. I can't think of enough bad things to say about it. Light beer is an oxymoron anyway.

Even though there seems to be nothing to this beer, it gives me terrible heart burn.

Light beer is beer for people who don't like beer. I prefer tap water to this "beer".

03-29-2011 21:10:33 | More by steveclarkus
trevorjn06

Washington

1.83/5  rDev -0.5%

This Light American Adjunct Lager is brewed in industrial complexes all over the U.S.A. It is 4.2% ABV and brewed with rice, corn and barley.

Pours crystal clear, very light straw color with one finger of fizzy, brief head.

Aroma is very subtle, corn, cooked vegetables (DMS), hints of green apple (acetaldehyde), and a hint of pilsner malt. A very mild aroma but the components that are present are not good.

Taste is almost non-existent. It follows the nose a bit with corn, slight vegetal flavor and a hint of barley sweetness. Overall it isn't TERRIBLY offensive... but it's not good at all.

Mouthfeel is very light bodied with medium/high carbonation.

All-in-all this beer has some glaring flaws (DMS, really?) But it does what it was designed to do: delivers alcohol in a nearly tasteless form that most people won't take offence to. This is about the 3rd time I've had Bud Light in my life, I don't plan on having it again anytime soon.

03-29-2011 03:02:47 | More by trevorjn06
GoNowhere

Arkansas

2.28/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Take this beer for what it is. Not what you wish it was.

This is going to be basically the same as my review for Miller Lite because they are basically the exact same.

Appearance is similar to the pee you have when you are dehydrated. It makes the world yellow if you try and look through it.

Smells kind of sweet and dry. I think it smells like fresh sweat or three day old opened sake.

Taste is thin with some bitterness. Like watered down pinot grigio. It is very refreshing in a way that only fishermen can appreciate.

Mouthfeel is watery and crisper than Miller Lite.

It is what it is: An easy drinking light adjunct. I do love the Bud Bowl.

03-28-2011 02:25:59 | More by GoNowhere
WynnO

1.35/5  rDev -26.6%

Had one of these at a ball park yesterday.

They have covered plastic bottles to protect it now, so I could not see what was actually inside. I did see a tapper of the stuff though, and the customer's clear plastic cups allowed me to see it. How to say this? Well, a good number of my urinations have a better color. Seriously, I must give A/B credit for making a beer so crystal clear. If anything ever lived in it (yeast), there surely is no evidence of that now. How do they get the color to be so light yellow? Amazing.

The smell? My wife (not a beer person) summed it up best: "Yuk. It's beer!" In other words, it smells like the slop her Pop and his friends used to drink when she was young. Note: She does now like and appreciate the smell of a good beer and partakes of one occasionally, so she does have perspective.

The taste? Well. Gosh---there ISN'T ANY is there?

When they are ice cold, as mine was initially, the coldness hides the negatives quite well. When it warms though, as mine did, the full force of what this product is hits you.

This is just really, really BAD beer.

03-26-2011 18:45:49 | More by WynnO
Guden

Maryland

1.5/5  rDev -18.5%

A- Extremely light yellow with a tiny head which immediately fades, showing lots of carbonation bubbles. Looks unappetizing.

S- Yuck, what is coming through? Oh, it's metallic corn and rice. I was mistaken in believing this was going to smell like beer.

T- Yeah, like the smell but at least the metal doesn't seem as pronounced. In fact the flavor is so weak it becomes nearly bearable.

M- At least there was a lot of carbonation, but all around its watery with a thin syrup note, as if someone had watered down a much thicker beer.

D- Well I didn't pour this one out but it was consumed very slowly, more as it was something to do than because it was actually enjoyable.

03-21-2011 04:10:02 | More by Guden
Knapp85

1.5/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this at my first Devils game. Only got it because I had never tried it before and I thought maybe it'd be worth trying. Totally wasn't worth 7 bucks that's for sure.

Yellow in color, flavor is very minimal, absolutely nothing else to really say about this brew other than it's got a slight sweetness to it which is nice I suppose. I never need to have this beer again.

03-20-2011 16:27:46 | More by Knapp85
Brunite

1.4/5  rDev -23.9%

A: Pours clear with a slight yellow straw color to it. Two finger white soapy head that disappeared fast.

S: Nope....hardly noticeable smell of sweetness.

T: Tasted like water soaked with various grains.

M: Light body...medium carb.

O: Power of advertising is evident here. Nobody drinks this for the taste...nobody.

03-18-2011 05:25:27 | More by Brunite
Outchillen

1.83/5  rDev -0.5%

not gonna bother with serving type,
Im not the type to bash beers, for a company so successful, they can be given at least a respectable unbiased review, true beer drinkers are quick to bash american light lagers, but some are good for certain times, i cant sit at a game and throw back IPAs, or bourbon aged beers, but a light lager with a hot dog and peanuts on a hot day isnt so bad. Im a big beer pong fan, wont play with a $20 bottle of brooklyn black ops, now a review

Very pale yellow, white foamy head that can fade quick, light body mostly cause of using sugar and rice to keep the ABV up, the only way i can descibe the aroma is "beer" hops are faint just to make it enough to call it beer, This beer is only good for a real hot day at the game, or cheap to use for games to drink fast.Bud Light is not my favorite of cheap american beer though

03-16-2011 00:54:08 | More by Outchillen
Meeseface

1.08/5  rDev -41.3%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't been said already....

This beer looks, smells, and tastes something terrible and felt like I was getting drunk from can after can of water!!! The only use I can possibly think of getting such an offensive beer is for drinking games and even then I think its a bad idea.

Next time I find nothing but Bud lights at a party I'm sticking to soda or anything that actually tastes good.

03-15-2011 05:49:19 | More by Meeseface