Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

Only picked this up because I havent had it in a long time and it was in a cool looking St. Patrick's Day aluminum bottle.

Appearance - The lightest and most transparent beer I've ever seen. It looks like I combined 95% water with 5% apple juice in a glass. Pours with a decent head that fades away in seconds flat. No lacing or froth remains at all. Average carbonation.

Smell - It just smells like dirty dishwater. No presence of hops or ethanol. It just plain smells dirty.

Taste - Like the smell: dirty. It tastes like water with flavoring. The attractive bottle design couldn't save this one. A very unpleasant malty aftertaste. I'm wasting calories on this one.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - I really tried to enjoy this for what it is. But it was impossible. Bud light is my least favorite American Adjunct Lager. It lacks taste. Not just some taste. Any taste. But apparently that's how the majority of people like their alcohol these days. I will never try this again; even if they have a bright metallic orange bottle for halloween. I'm only out $1.29 or so. But I wish I could get it back. Sorry to be so harsh; but this beer just isn't worthy of anything more.

Jesse13713, Feb 23, 2011
1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

A-light gold, almost clear. decent amount of white head. a lot of bubbles and carbonation

S-smells like nothing. maybe some rice malts...maybe

T-tastes like nothing. maybe some rice malts...maybe. it is smooth thought..this might be why the commoners like it. there are no negative tastes though

M-strong and creamy carbonation with a champagne like finish though not dry.

D-well something about it makes me want to vomit. its ABV is low, yet i bet i drink more 90 minutes without getting sick.

AdamBear, Feb 21, 2011
2.88/5  rDev +55.7%

A: Very pale yellow; small head that faded fast. Looks like your average run of the mill adjunct light beer, and this is the king of them.

S: Nearly no smell whatsoever. Can barely make out the smell of hops along with faint grains.

T: Taste is almost non-existant. Extremely watered down Budweiser, which also tastes watered down. Faint hints of green grape/apple. Not exactly the sure sign of a good time to be drinking lightly flavored carbonated tap water, but then again this isn't a brew to savor. Party/sports event beer.

M: Very light. Throwing back a case would be a simple task. Light-moderate carbonation.

D: Excellent drinkability, but that's about the only positive factor of this brew.

This is a great beer to drink on a hot day at the beach or at parties. That's about all that this one has going for it.

HockeytownBrew, Feb 20, 2011
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

A=Very thin, wispy. straw colored, minimal head, no lacing
S=Light malt and corn
T=It's not repulsive, but its just not...really much taste to speak of. A bit of malt and some bitterness, but its very bland.
M=Light bodied, gets flat near the end.
D=The high point of the beer, it is easily downable.

Pretty bad, even for a BMC. Miller lite is far superior

ramseye4, Feb 19, 2011
1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

I have had bud light many times throughout college and have never cared for this beer. I gave it one more shot the other night and poured it into a frosted mug.

A- It looks like spring water with a little yellow food coloring in it.

S- It really has a foul smell to it.

T-It leaves one of the worst aftertastes in your mouth after you drink it making you not want another drink.

M- Very waterlike and makes you want to burp after a couple.

D- I would rather not drink then to drink more than one of these. The commercials scream drinkability, I scream gross when i drink it.

Dont waste your money on this.

jdspears41, Feb 17, 2011
1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

I had to drink this at a charity event and next time I am going to drink wine.

I don't even know if I can consider this beer anymore.

The flavor is so light it is nearly flavorless. It is almost as if they took all the alcohol out of the grains added that back to the beer and a hint of flavor to try and mast the inproportional amount of grain taste.

Head is almost soda pop like. The color is straw and makes me wonder if they added color back from the barley. Because if you tryed to make this beer on your own, I don't know if it would have much color.

What's the point? Spend the extra money and get some flavor and nutrition out of it.

OttoPeeWee, Feb 17, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -40.5%

APPEARANCE: I have to say, the Bud Light does look refreshing. The light color with a tiny, but very bright, white head makes it look pretty appetizing. That said, what little head there is vanishes almost instantly and there is no lacing at all.

SMELL: I could not smell anything at all. I feel bad giving the smell an "awful" rating, because it wasn't. It just wasn't there at all. That said, I do not think it should earn any points on smell at all, so I will stick with awful.

TASTE: This is a very light beer. The small amount of flavor that is present is sweet and has a hint of corn and maybe sugar.

MOUTHFEEL: The Bud Light I had on tap was not well carbonated and it felt more like drinking water than beer. It offers nothing interesting to the palate.

OVERALL: If I've already had six beers, OK, I can manage to drink one of these, but as a first beer of the night it is simply not worth it to me. I drink beer because I enjoy beer, not because I want to get drunk. I know I'll sound like a beer snob saying this, but I enjoy bitter beer, hoppy beer, strong beer. So the Bud Light tasted like water that had been contaminated to me.

StoneTSR, Feb 16, 2011
1.88/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Clear yellow pours a decent head and disappears quickly.

S: Alcohol and stale malt

T: Bland alcohol and stale malt with a bitter finish

M: Light body and very light carbonation, almost flat.

I never even liked this stuff in college, it doesn't surprise me that I still don't like it. Still a good choice for beer pong though.

mdunman, Feb 16, 2011
2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

A - Clear gold with a quick and shallow head, but really, this beer is not to savor.

S - Smells like what you expect from a cheap American beer, slightly tangy.

T - Taste is light and crisp, though wholly unimpressive (duh). This beer is cheap for a reason, but it does the job.

M - No staying power.

D - You should not want this beer with a meal. This is a beer for parties, and mass consumption with the intent of making mistakes and NOT driving home soon. If you intend on sipping, add 1 shot of Triple Sec to make is more like a Blue Moon without filling you up. Again, this is a light beer for mass consumption, won't fill you up, but won't impress you either. Drink away on a budget!

ksmi116, Feb 15, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +35.1%

Served on tap poured into a tall pils style glass

A: Perfectly clear pale yellow with a small white head that quickly fades

S: Not much here but consistent with other beers of this class.

T: Again not much there, clean crisp lightly carbonated grain flavor.

M: Carbonated water, thin but appropriate.

D: On a warm day this goes down like water. Smooth, clean and crisp. Not offensive, not much flavor.

GuruDel, Feb 14, 2011
2.4/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a very light lager, lots of carbination and very little head

A light smell of beer present

Taste- Bland but not bitter, well carbonated

Mouthful- Decent Drinkability but not a very prenounced flavor.

First choice for a "Party" lager if I had to choose one.

7UCK, Feb 10, 2011

This pours a pale yellow with visible carbonation and very little head.

Light straw in the nose with little to no hop characters..

Subtle straw and light bready character on the tongue. Still no hop presence. Mouthfeel is very crisp and dry.

This is just a boring light lager in general.

stewart124, Feb 07, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +74.6%

This Is a good beer to have if you just want to get drunk! It's real light and smooth. Easy to drink! What I like about this beer is that you can get a lot of it for a low price! Not a beer to have if your looking for taste! This is a good beer to have once your full and want to keep on drinking! This is nothing special but it's a good beer to have when you just want to drink and save money!

Lakers805, Feb 07, 2011
1.7/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours clear with yellow tint, and the head was off-putting in its soapy appearance. Nose was lightly floral but mostly devoid of anything recognizable. It was difficult to pick ip any flavor here aside from city drinking water. Fizzy mouthfeel and as drinkable as a glass of skunky tap water, which is forced as appropriate.

Wegomlegging, Feb 06, 2011
1.9/5  rDev +2.7%

Number one beer my ass. I poured this beer into a pint glass and was not impressed from the start. This light beer has a terrible color even for light beer. Pours a less than yellow color and it smells alcoholic like its non light predecessor. It has a bitter taste to it not a good light beer by any means. Goes down smooth its drinkable probably why fat alocholics drink it.

assmandugle, Feb 06, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +56.8%

First Review Grabbed a few Single cans and started to work!

Poured into a glass beer mug. If you cant drink beer out of a mug its not much of a beer!

Appearance - Lighter than straw yellow. almost has a neon yellow color. Super clear.

Smell- Mild "beer"smell. nothing but a hint of beer really

Taste- Mild, kinda bland. not interesting or unique for sure

Mouthfeel - Not a strong beer taste. Not bitter Rather mild and boring

Drinkability - This beer was obviously brewed with a hot summer day drinking beer at the lake in mind, because that is about the only place you would want to drink it. Drank for ease of drinking. Not for flavor.

RumRunners, Jan 29, 2011
1.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

The #1 selling beer in the world.

I don't get it. This stuff is just awful.

Weak, watery and tastes bad.

Ice it down, and it is drinkable but not enjoyable.

It must be the commercials as to why this crap is so popular.

Just about anything else would be a better choice.

JohnFatAss, Jan 29, 2011
1.98/5  rDev +7%

had this in many different cities across this great land and its too bad this was my beer of choice when i was a young lad. Not at all what I would consider to be a choice for drinking now. I would much rather have water and wont even offer to my friends. I rated this high in drinkability because I think you can drink your own weight of this stuff.

pumptrick, Jan 28, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -37.8%

Normally I would at least give a breakdown of the different qualities of a beer during these reviews... but... This is not beer by any stretch of imagination. uhmmmm it'll get you drunk thats about the only thing kinda positive and it's pretty clear but the rest is straight swill. I'm sorry for wasting space on this review but please stay away if nothing else let this be a public service warning.

Arinthos, Jan 23, 2011
1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

HOW the HELL is this the BEST selling BEER in the USA.. It makes me SICK..

Flavorless, like SODA water.. PALE Yellow color.. Smells like rotting corn..

My 3 worst beers are

1 Natural Light
2 BUD LIGHT
3 COORS LIGHT...

Don't buy the HYPE or TV ads..

"Here we go" is Bud lights slogan, right into the trash

AVOID THIS BEER..

LWG1970, Jan 20, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Ill start off by saying that before i decided i wanted to widen my horizons in the beer world i drank this all the time which was just a few weeks ago. I have spent alot of money on this beer so if i feel as if i am dogging it its because before this i thought i was drinking a viable beer and am i a weird way a little disappointed.

Poured into a pint glass, looks like watered down mountain dew. Smells of corn malt and water. The taste is just as the smell WATER. I see why this is "light" beer. The mouthfeel isnt really there as compared to a glass of water with a splash of sprite.

As of a week or so ago i can now say i really dislike this beer and i feel as if i have every reason to down this beer in a semi constructive manor because of how great i used to think it was when i was blind to fact that a beer should should have flavors be pleasing, also the fact that i have drank many of these and that being said have spent alot of money on this product.

jbartlett89, Jan 18, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Being raised near Dallas I knew of no other beer for way to long! No wonder I never liked beer, I had no idea what it really was. Other than this tasteless, watery, mass produced thing people called "beer". Please do America a favor, and don't support this company!

knm, Jan 17, 2011
1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

Rating a beer like Bud Light is difficult because I know we should rate by style and expectations for the style, but as a person that enjoys the taste of beer, I find it difficult to be objective. When I drink a beer like this, I think to myself this doesn't taste like anything! This beer was very pale yellow with a nice little cap of white foam, perhaps the beer is carbonated differently on-tap compared to in the can/bottle, but this beer had nice head and retention leaving nice layers of lace on the glass. The beer had very little aroma, no hops to speak of and just a bit of corny graininess. The beer is very watery, not much hop bitterness, no malt flavor and there is a little bit of residual sweetness. This is just not what a beer should be. This what you should drink if you are thirsty after mowing the lawn or at a 100F baseball game in the middle of summer.

Soonami, Jan 17, 2011
2.38/5  rDev +28.6%

From can to pint glass

Pours a very light yellow, like the color of your piss if you've been drinking a lot of water. Lots of bubbly carbonation, forms a small 1/2 inch head that dissipates immediately (which is likely intended). No lacing to speak of. The bubbly carbonation swiftly carries the bouquet, which is unfortunate because it smell like nothing. Maybe faint hint of bulk wheat. Yeast had a slight lemon note, hops are non-existent

The taste is even less interesting. Some whispers of toasty grain way in the background. Lightly astringent citrus notes from the yeast, really no hops. Literally tastes like a light lager mixed with soda water. Feels like soda water too, almost no oily complexion at all.

So why is this one of the best-selling beers? Marketing alone doesn't explain it, although that's a big part of it. Really, I think there's a large swath if people out there that don't like beer, or don't like it that much, and beer flavored water is palatable. Granted this beer isn't the worst tasting beer I've had, there's nothing off-putting. But that's a little like saying the air in my mouth doesn't taste bad.

rand, Jan 17, 2011

I usually can appreciate all types of beers but this one is just not good. It literally tastes like water with a very slight doughy yeast. Thats it! How can they sell this with confidence? This beer proves that all people care about is getting a buzz.... but even at that! To the regular craft beer drinker you can have literally have 4 or 5 and still feel like you drank a little bit. No hop taste, really no malt not even grainy malt just a lot of water with carbonation and that usual Budweiser yeast taste that is it... and I had this on tap bought by a friend. Definitely not a beer... they should have another name for this beverage.

thebrood1987, Jan 13, 2011