Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
1.85/5  rDev 0%

We all know about Bud Light. It's nothing extraordinary, and yet it's nothing undrinkable. There is little to no smell, and the downside to this is that there is also little to no taste. Bud Light is basically water with a hint of beer flavoring. I guess it's good if you want to drink in excess, but still, there are other, better options out there. Don't get me wrong, I drink Bud Light on occasion, but it is nowhere near my 1st choice (or even my 30th choice).

jrockstar90, Jun 15, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -13.5%

reviewed on 6/10/11 - from notes:

A: bubbly head quickly diminishes to a rim of bubbles. very large carbonation can be seen through a clear, very pale yellow.

S: pilsner malt. that’s about it. maybe something similar to a faint champagne? who said miller high life was the champagne of beers? boooo.

T: corn and just the tip of pilsner malt. not a hint of hops either here or far. couldn’t be any further from interesting.

M: high carbonation on a non existent body.

D: only thing to do with this is drink it fast and cold. nothing going on here but some bubbly refreshment. double boo.

Jimmys, Jun 15, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +34.1%

A: Very light, clear straw color with a finger's width fluffy white head.

S: sweet honey and bready malts with some grainy aromas.

T: Sweet honey malt and some grainy flavors with a bit of hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Light and soda-like. Leaves a weird almost buttery sweetness and stickiness on the palette.

O: Not the worst beer ever, but still not one I would turn to if I was looking for a tasty beer. And you have to drink it fast before it warms up, because once it does, you might as well dump it down the drain.

Kromes, Jun 14, 2011

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Well, there's not much to say about Bud Light. It's basically the most "vanilla" beer you can order anywhere, and is loved by millions of Americans across the nation.

Pours a pale straw color, with a bubbly white head that quickly dissipates, leaving a highly-carbonated, very watery beer. Calling it "beer" is a stretch, BL tastes and looks like it's a near-beer that is mixed with water. It has hardly any taste that would identify it as a beer, it's basically like drinking a sour seltzer water, thankfully without any skunky odor like Corona. I guess no smell is better than a bad smell. As a "light lager", BL is understandably light-bodied and pale, but it is so bland and pitiful I don't see the point in drinking it, as water would be a cheaper, healthier alternative as a mere thirst-quencher; and I don't see why anyone would drink BL out of enjoyment, it seems to be a beer that is consumed in huge quantities and marketed to the lowest denominator.

Sudsy89, Jun 12, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Very light yellow appearance, almost ginger ale like with less color, well carbonated one finger head dissipates completely.
S- Very mild, almost no aroma, slight notes of barley, corn, very unappealing.
T- Watered down like crazy, very plain, only taste that comes out is corn, barley, rice, slight sweetness.
M- Light mouthfeel, carbonated, watery, fizzy.
O- The only good thing I can say about this beer is that on a really hot day this is a little refreshing when really cold. Other than that it’s very un enjoyable to drink, no taste or aroma really nothing to this beer, incredibly plain.

Chriscrundwell12, Jun 09, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -5.4%

A: What color? yellowish body with white head that dissipates quick. No lacing.

Sl: Nothing going on. Cereal, corn etc.

T: Light.

M: Club soda.

D: Only use is for when you run out of the good stuff on the lake or the beach. There is a reason it is the most popular beer, because the American beer drinker is an idiot.

drowninginhops, Jun 09, 2011
2.66/5  rDev +43.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Remember, as with everything, I review to style.

A - Pours very nice. Soapy head builds at an appropriate speed, you're able to pour in one swift motion. Head is white, brew is clear yellow with white and straw colors. Head dissipates quickly.

S - Not much stands out other than Corn, Rice, and Barley. Slight mustard scent.

T - Very relaxed, no over bearing flavor. Flavor is quite basic and plain. A bit too light.

M - Bubbly. Very decent brew for the style. Overly carbonated. Medium bodied.

O - Obviously this brew isn't an IPA. However, for the style it is quite nice on a hot day. It's right there with Miller Light for the battle of the "bests".

chugalug06, Jun 06, 2011
2.78/5  rDev +50.3%

I will rate this beer as of my weekend tasting and rate it as a beer in its class - not my personal preferences. This bottle was enjoyed after several Newcastle's so I admit I may have been a little optimistic and also had low expectations from previous encounters with Bud Light. The surprise to me was that I actually noticed some flowery taste in this beer. I couldn't believe it. That said I couldn't deny that on this day - bud light had more than I remembered.

SisuPride, Jun 05, 2011

Probably my least favorite beer I have ever tried. And that is saying something. I've drank plenty of Pabst, Tecate, and other bottom shelf beers.

Bud Light just has no flavor to it imo. I know it is a very popular beer, but I simply chalk that up to the American Public's lack of beerowledge (<~made it up, but I think you get my point), and the power that mass marketing from a major company like Anheuser Busch has.

If you like it, God Bless You and drink it up because I hate seeing it around and maybe it will stop people from having it at parties and offering it as a legitimate source of malty beverage.

TheMUBM, Jun 02, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A) Poured a light yellow to almost clear color. Intense carbonation that went away very quickly. No lace. Looked like veggie oil in color.

S) Smell? More like lack of smell. Reminded me of something stale mixed with rice.

T) Taste was not impressive either. Could tell right away it was made with rice. Left a slight after taste in my mouth that I wasnt really able to get rid of. I know now why it is a cheaper beer.

M) Very light almost to the point of water. Actually... Yeah exactly like water.

D/O) The famous phrase "HERE WE GO" Means HERE WE GO ON OUR WAY TO A HORRIBLE HANGOVER. I now know why people can drink an entire case of this.

benyerd, May 29, 2011
1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

My first Bud Light EVER! Very excited to review this...

Appearance: Out of a bottle and into an Ithaca Beer Co. pint, Bud pours fizzy and determined, producing a prominent head (over three fingers) that nonetheless dies very soon. Only a rim and some very active bubbles on top remain. Color is a crystal-clear yellow, reminds me of a cider. Surprisingly enough, there is some lacing left on the glass after a first exploratory sip.

I am fascinated by the carbonation of this thing. Watching the playful bubbles rise fast and furious from the bottom to the top of the glass is quite something. They are working hard!

Smell: Huh... there is no smell to speak of. If anything, a distant metallic aroma mixed with damp corn left on the field after a late-summer storm in the Heartland.

Taste: Huh... there is no taste to speak of. And I'm trying hard to come up with something! Feels like drinking sparkling water with the faintest prickliness at the end, which might be from the hops... but then it would be a miracle if real hops are used in this concoction. Finishes so very dry, like no other beer I have had.

I want to have some chocolate while I review, but I know it would totally and massively overpower the Bud. Even a piece of generic white bread would alter the experience, because there is no flavor here!

Mouthfeel: Extremely watery, thin and dry. Low (non-existent, actually) body and flavor, but substantial carbonation.

Overall: Drinkable for sure, but why would I want to drink this? What's more, why would anybody want to *pay* money to drink this? Water is free, folks! And it actually tastes better than Bud Light. It's not offensive, though. I mean, I drank the whole thing! (perhaps only because I was reviewing, though)

I am surprised this can legally be called "beer". And I am even more surprised that people get drunk out of this. I would need approximately four tons of Bud Light to get a decent buzz.

DoubleSimcoe, May 29, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

A: Poured very clear yellow with big head of tiny bubbles. Bit of retention.

S: I just dont get much. Yeasty stale beer. Corn flakes. Bit of alcohol. No hops.

T: Comes on kind of sweet and sour. Moves into a strange flavor, maybe corn. Quick of burst of bitterness and raw alcohol then ends with a stale sour beer note that lingers on the tongue and in the nose.

M: Watery and fizzy. Very fizzy.

O: Not sure what to say, there just isnt much going on here. Its basically a fizzy watered down lager without much personality one way or the other.

legalpete19340, May 24, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Very clear pale yellow color. The head was small to medium sized that quickly dissipated. The head also had a very light white color. Has no retention or lace.

S: Very strong smell with a very pungent corny smell. A small amount of malt and hop are detectable.

T: Very strong corn taste that leaves very weak aftertaste. Has very high level of carbonation and is also very crisp. Has a very weak semi-sweet taste as well as a hint of stale malt and used hops that are detectable at the end of the drink. Taste doesn’t linger in the mouth very long and what does is very corn based.

M: Again very carbonated and also a very light bodied beer with a very watery and thin feel. Super easy to drink, this goes with the slogan “Drinkability”. Has no substance to speak of other than over carbonation.

O: Not a great beer, good to drink on a hot day when nothing else is available. The main downfall of this lager is the weakness of the taste, which tastes like carbonated corn water. That weak taste, smell and mouthfeel makes this beer exactly what you paid for, a cheap buzz.

tjacobs610, May 21, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -20%

Bottle to pint glass. Bottle has a "Born on Date" of 06May11

Appearance - Pours a very, very light yellow. Standard pour actually yields a good 1.5 fingers of head, but it quickly disappears leaving nothing behind ... zero lacing.

Smell - Weak. A slight metallic smell with a bit of corn.

Taste - What taste? There's a tiny bit of corn/rice that comes across, but it's really weak.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth. The carbonation is probably the only thing that makes this beer even somewhat interesting.

Overall - Garbage. Unfortunately, I know too many people that think Bud Light is the holy grail of beers ... this is suitable for drinking to get wasted at a tailgate or late night college party, but nothing I'd ever drink to enjoy.

BigDRS, May 21, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

eh, I'm bored, so I'll review this shwill I am currently drinking.
actually poured into a sam adams perfect pint glass...sorry glass.
pours a very clear straw yellow with an extremely fizzy, bone white head.
smells less sweet and aromatic than it's adjunct brothers. Just some light stale grains, a hint of malt, and corn. very yeasty and unappetizing with very sharp metals.
Taste is crisp and very watery. Flavor is almost non-existent. It is quite easy to drink because of this. Like dirty corn water.
A bit of zesty carbonation as expected from the style. I still don't like it.
It's bud light. we've all had it. Just gotta deal with it being everywhere I guess. I still won't drink it unless it's free and I have no choice.

backfat, May 16, 2011
1.43/5  rDev -22.7%

Bottle -> pint glass.

A - Extremely pale yellow, much like piss after a couple glasses of water. An aggressive pour worked up a few very large bubbles; none of them stayed to even attempt to form a head. Quite depressing.

S - Water. Maybe a little hot summer corn mingled in there too. Nothing I could notice as either malt or hops. Not really enjoying this so far....

T - The taste is exactly like the smell -- pretty much nonexistent. It's like I'm drinking a glass of carbonated corn-flavored water.

M - Very thin and watery mouthfeel, and lots and lots of carbonation. I might as well be drinking a glass of seltzer water.

This beer sucks. I can't believe so many people drink this stuff so religiously. I can't imagine how boring your life must be if you look forward to coming home to this crap at the end of the day.

forsakenpariah, May 16, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

GLASS: Pilsener Glass
TEMP: Chilled to approx 38 degrees (Warmed while drinking)
22oz Bottle purchased in Kansas (Full-strength)

This is the most pale shade of golden yellow that I've yet to come across in a beer. It forms a thin and loose head of foam, which dissipates rapidly, leaving a spotty surface film. The lacing is in thin strands and is very slippery.

The smell is muted to the point of almost being non-existent. After searching, I find light hints of corn and vegetal notes, with slight traces of a metallic note.

Okay, if someone had an old and dented can of corn, they could pour the juice into a glass. Then they could add a couple of Alka-Seltzer tabs and they would have a very close representation of what this tastes like. It is bland and bubbly, like Alka-Seltzer, yet has a hint of corn and metal.

Light body and an almost high level of carbonation. It's crisp with a slight touch of sharpness to it.

If I never have to taste this again, I'll die a happy man.

coldmeat23, May 13, 2011
2.28/5  rDev +23.2%

Consumed a week ago during the afternoon. Probably around 5/05/2011

Appearance: It's a can beer. Didn't pour it out but i've seen it on tap and it's a pretty pale yellow with very little head at all.

Smell: Pretty much obsolete. A little corn, barely any malt and a ghosting of used up hops.

Taste: Take a can of regular Budweiser and mix half of it with an equal amount of seltzer water. There you go. Some corn, a little semi-sweet, stale malt and used up hop sneaks in at the very middle and end of the tasting.

Mouthfeel: Pretty well carbonated. But oh so watery. Very easy to put down though and on a hot day, I could see it being very good.

Overall its not horrid like Coors light. I think it's a step down from Miller Lite. Definitely a step down from many other light beers such as Milwaukee's Best light and Old Milwaukee Light.,.but oh well. It is what it is.

PapillonJohn, May 12, 2011
2.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Had one the other night because that was all that was available. I'd forgotten how watery a beer can be, and yet not be water. Mild and slightly sweet, a beer designed for mass consumption by the masses. When I drink Bud Light, I feel as if my soul has been sacrificed to the Gods of mediocrity.

SFGuy187, May 12, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +34.1%

Its a simple beer. Good for after sweating in teh yard or on the court....or whatever. The color is golden clear with decent carbonation. The smell is grainy if anything. The taste is light grainy water taste. Mouthfeel is fine could drink alot of it...if that was all there was.

WoodBrew, May 12, 2011
2.75/5  rDev +48.6%

appearance: pours a clear, pale yellow, heavily carbonated, yet no lasting foaming or lacing.

smell: corn and rice scent, no other discernable scents.

taste: what one would expect from a typical light beer, watery and lacking distinctive attributes, except for a light bitterness brought on by the limited nature of whatever hops go into it.

drinkability: it is what it is; for a light lager it is a prime example, nothing to rave about, but drinkable.

weller1js, May 11, 2011
1.02/5  rDev -44.9%

I typically like can beer, I have a bad feeling about this. It has probably been 3 or more years since I've had a BL.

A: Yellow. Pretty fizzy head, no lace, no retention.

A: Corn and maybe some light pilsen malt.

T: Really, why I am drinking this? Tastes of wet corn, maybe some rice, but really just like corn flavored water.

M: None.

O: This is pretty bad. I hadn't had one in a long time, and it will be even longer till I have another. Bad. Stay away at all costs. Skal.

Gtreid, May 09, 2011
2.25/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bud Light what can I say this is a beer i have enjoyed many of times.
A. had a 12 ounce can poured into a pint glass.
color is very dull and clear a slight golden
color.

S. not much here in the way of smell.

T. watered down taste maybe a hint of cereal.

M. slight carbonation but very easy to drink

O. Bud light is what it is a great beer to grab
a case and head to the lake.

jodmike2000, May 07, 2011
2.88/5  rDev +55.7%

Poured from a can into a stein glass.

Look - pale golden color, clear, with about two fingers worth of off-white colored foam that dissipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - definitely more adjunct or cereal-smelling. Nothing much else in the smell.

Taste and Mouthfeel - not much in the taste at all. There's a little bit of a hint of cereal grain taste, but not much else other than that. The texture is very smooth and close to watery.

Overall - not bad tasting, but not tasting either...as it doesn't really have much of a taste.

Nerudamann, May 04, 2011
1.27/5  rDev -31.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Sitting in my hotel room in Las Vegas and thought I'd give this one a try, just for kicks.

Pale straw yellow, white head that disappears quickly - just a slight film remains. Some lacing, better than expected.

Smells of a bit of sweet malt and some foul grains.

Malt, with a hint of sweetness, cereal grains worthy only of livestock. The flavors are all very dumbed down. Mild bitterness. Gross, confused aftertaste.

Light bodied, club soda level carbonation.

Just an awful beer. Honestly, I think I'd rather have a Coors Light. At least Coors Light is more or less tasteless.

ghetto90007, May 04, 2011