Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros

this beer is the definition of trash. watered down and disgusting. this is for the cliche average drinker who drinks just to get drunk. If your into craft brews this must be left behind. this is the burger king of brews. garbage. i cannot believe so many people i know drink this religiously, i guess it attest to the power of marketing and the average beer drinkers intentions (i.e. getting drunk, not having a tasty well crafted brew).

HopsNPot, Dec 23, 2010
2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Crystal clear with a pale yellow hue, not much colour there. A bright white cap formed during the pour, falling to a collar in a couple of minutes. Not much aroma, a bit of cereal and sweetness, faint green apple. Same for the flavour, no significant bitterness with just a hint of cereal sweetness and a hint of hops, slightly metallic in the finish. Light bodied with ample carbonation, fair texture. Easy to drink, but not enough flavour to make it worth my while - I don't mind drinking water or soda instead. Not particularly bad, just extremely bland.

DrJay, Dec 22, 2010

Absolute garbage. I had to review just to take it's pathetic rating down another notch. In the effort of a fair review I'll say this much. Instead of spending millions of dollars in legal fee's and advertising designed to crush small breweries; AB should go back to the drawing board and make a better beer. This light lager "American style" pilsner tastes like carbonated water with a metallic finish. I have a lot of respect for the founders and what they accomplished in paving the way for big brewing in America but at the end of the day this is possibly the most over-consumed can of garbage on the market.

VTCRAFTSALESREP, Dec 18, 2010
2.8/5  rDev +51.4%

A- light in color, yellowish with little to no head

S - Corn adjunct, enough said

T- a lot of carbonation in this beer which some people desire. This really inhibits the ability of the tongue to make a decision on the taste

M - best served ice cold, this way you don't feel it

D - what i would call an ideal session bear. readily available and just about everyone imaginable is familiar with it..

Anthony88, Dec 17, 2010
2.58/5  rDev +39.5%

Pale yellow appearance with minimal head. Smell is almost non existent, picked up a hint of grain.

Taste is hard to grip, it is a bit sweet and grainy, but overall this beer is like water. It has a very light body with high carbonation. Aftertaste is slightly dry.

Overall, this beers greatest (and only strength) is the drinkability. Think of it the same as drinking water when it's hot out. For a light beer (which is far from my favorite beer type), I'll give it kudos for not having any offensive features.

But it goes over that line with having no features at all. I guess if you want to chug a 12 pack with no problem, pick this up.

CrazyMike, Dec 16, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +61.1%

Bud Light has a very thick, white head and an extremely clear pale straw appearance. Carbonation is high, and some lacing is left down the glass. The aroma is very faint, but some sweetness can be detected, and maybe also some grain. Taste is mild and bland, with sweetness, some quite light grain, and a tad of hop bitterness, which presents only a bare existence. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Bud Light finishes crisp and refreshing enough. Overall, this is a very bland beer, and I would not care to have it again.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Dec 15, 2010
2.7/5  rDev +45.9%

341 ml served in a chilled glass

Appearance - Beer pours a light clear amber colour. The head is fluffy white and does not take long to disappear. There is some minimal lacing. The carbonation levels are actually decent.

Smell - This is a very straight forward clean beer. The smell is crisp, I can pick up some faint hops but not much else. Does water have a smell?

Taste - The beer does not offer a heck of a lot, like the taste, it's a clean crisp beer. There are faint hops as well, maybe some slight "earth" tones.

Mouthfeel - The beers mouthfeel has an added amount of carbonation, does offer a little bitterness. Overall, same impressions of clean and crisp.

Drinkability - This beer is always a go to beer for me. If I see it I will drink it, just cause of its ease of access.

Swedes21, Dec 13, 2010
2.6/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A - light yellow nothing impressive with a little bit of head

S - Corn adjunct

T- pretty sweet very high carbonation

M - the carbonation makes it very fizzy feeling

D - drinkability is ok, although a little to sweet. There are better american adjunct lagers out there.

philmorepunk87, Dec 13, 2010
2.85/5  rDev +54.1%

this is my 3rd and most likely final review of this beer (unless they start putting it in nitro cans, haha). ive had it in bottle, on tap, and now finally in a can.

12oz can pulled from my fridge poured into a pint glass. 03NOV10 on the bottom, im guessing this is the "born on date".

pours crystal clear piss yellow with a big fizzy white head that quickly dissappeared to nothing. very watery looking.

aromas of corn, lager yeast, and maybe just a hint of citrus.

very watery light mouthfeel. way too fizzy. tastes of cooked corn, a hint of grains, and some lager yeast, almost a tiny bit of a fruity like yeast, but not very appealing like a german or belgian strain however.

of course this has great drinkability. if you can drink sparkling water, you can pound these back. not the worst light lager, but definatly not the best either. id never buy this, nor would i ever recommend it to anyone.

out of the 3 serving types that ive reviewed this under, the bottle and can were about dead even with a C-, where as the on tap version suffered a bit with a D.

dogfishandi, Dec 11, 2010
2.42/5  rDev +30.8%

This classic watered down lager is the perfect beverage for you and your frat buddies to slam down in mass quantities. Budlight is the standard american light beer. Its extremely light yellow color and low on taste. There is virtualy no head on the beer even as u pour it.

This beer is better during those summer beach days and back yard cookouts where cheap beer is necessary.

IHC, Dec 09, 2010

I drink this in cans on the golf course, and bottles at home. It is easy to find and cost effective. It tastes good, goes down good. It kills the thirst after mowing, and while playing golf.

Besides it is no fun being a beer snob. If it all tasted the same how boring would that be?

larrytm56, Dec 09, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +73%

Poured at the end of a long day into a plastic cup. Surprising head that lasted longer than i expected. No real aroma. Clean taste with slight sweetness. Rice? No hop aroma or flavor detected. Fizzy mouthfeel with lots of bubbles. Clean aftertaste. Thirst quenching and enjoyable. A tried and true staple macro lager.

nniicckkww, Dec 07, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +118.9%

on-tap at home.

It's kind of funny how all these ppl on here cry cause this beer is watery? What do you expect from a light beer?

This beer is the king of drinkability. Pours a light yellow, smells grainy like all american lagers and goes down super smooth.

I know all the craft beer ppl hate this beer and blame its popularity on marketing but you all know a top craft beer wouldn't sell like bud light with a huge marketing campaign. People like easy to drink non bitter beer and something thats low on calories. I enjoy craft beer as well but I like my american adjunct the best.

We all enjoy beer and it would be a boring world if everyone had the same taste buds.

0runkp0s, Dec 05, 2010
2.23/5  rDev +20.5%

I think a lot of people go into a macro beer review with the preconceived notion that the beer is going to suck simply because it is a choice of the masses, but I'm going to try and give it a professional review without being biased.

I think this is the number one selling beer in America. I guess price and drinkability has a lot to do with this. It's also well advertised with their slogan "superior drinkability".

(A) The beer pours a light amber color with a typical head that foams and mellows quickly and lacing that holds average retention.

(S) Picking up any aroma is very difficult. I guess I smell close to nothing with the exception of a mild tangy bitterness from the hops.

(T) It tastes like a typical light lager with twice as much water making it very hard to bring out any of the characteristics.

(M) There's a lot of carbonation and sting in the mouth. I guess crisp is just another word for sting.

(D) I guess it's drinkable. It's not hard to swallow, but I do feel like I just paid too much for a bottle of water afterwords.

I wouldn't buy it for myself, but I would buy it for guests because almost everyone I knows swears by Bug Light for some reason.

greenmountain, Dec 03, 2010
1.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A - Three fingers worth of crisp, foamy, slightly rocky pure white head... Audibly fizzy... Fades to about a half fingers worth before displaying some retention and then fades to a feel even lacing with a slightly thicker collar... A very pale straw yellow color... Mostly still with stray small bubbled exceedingly flow carbonation ...

S - Not much at all in terms of aroma... It's a struggle to pick up much... Cereal... Corn... Slightly musky... Perhaps some wet grass... A touch of lemon...

T - Fresh corn... Bland cereal... A touch of sweet lemon... Not much else... A struggle to

M - Gone before you know it... Light bodied... No real carbonation... Very little to rate in this category...

D - The appearance is slightly disappointing and this one only proceeds to go down hill from there... I could drink a couple of these in the proper setting, but as you would imagine this is not one I would ever seek out or recommend... There are far superior light and adjunct lagers...

philbe311, Dec 02, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -32.4%

At a holiday open house hosted by a business client, the only beer choices were this or Budweiser. I chose BL since I didn't want to incur the additional calories that would accompany this assault on my palate.

A-Have no fricken idea. The room was dark and the bartender just handed me the bottle with a holiday napkin that I considered unfolding to conceal the bottle, and my embarrassment. Didn't ask for a glass, because didn't want a harmless and otherwise serviceable accompaniment to my beer enjoyment to also be abused.

S-The only thing evident from the smell was confirmation I was drinking beer. Mostly smelled of day old, wet, cut grass.

T-Taste? This was a liquid assault of my palate. Only regret is I am not allowed to rate it zero.

M-Probably the best attribute. I can imagine this being just barely satisfying if drunk very cold and quickly on a hot afternoon.

D-I would sooner drink pond scum.

velosuds, Dec 02, 2010

Pours a very clear yellow, with not a lot of effervescence.

Smell really isn't there. There is a smell of something, but not much.

First sip is mellow. Is this beer? Yes. Then again, that depends on your definition of beer.

Let me rephrase that, a McDonalds hamburger is still considered a hamburger. In its essence, it IS a hamburger. It has beef, it has condiments, it has two buns. But is it something that you'd personally feel good about showing off to ones friends as ones life contribution to society? No, no you wouldn't.

I'd have to say that there are two ideas about success that exist in the world of beers today. One says that the best quality beers will fill what niches they will, and that their qualities in ingredients make them the best. The other says that that the beer that the most people drink is the best drink around. Bud Light has succeeded in one of these categories. I doubt if it could ever succeed in both.

I doubt that Burger King or McDonalds will ever make a burger worth a five star restaurant, and I doubt that Anheuser-Busch will ever turn Bud Light into anything more than a beer for the masses of those who have no idea what real quality beer should taste like, but that should not take away in the least from what AB has accomplished. Hopefully, the world will change someday to make what they have done irrelevant.

Please, let it be soon.

techfed87, Dec 01, 2010
2.68/5  rDev +44.9%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured the thin, clear yellow expected of the style with just a thin cap of white head that had no retention or lacing. A slightly sweet grain aroma was the only noticeable thing in the nose.

On the tongue, again a very faint, slightly sweet grain taste is the only feature. The body and drinkability were both average for the style.

IIRC, this is the best selling beer in America, so clearly lots of folks like this brew. I found it to be a fairly average example of the style.

beertunes, Nov 29, 2010
1.55/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A - This pours a very light yellow color with a small white head. It left just a touch of lacing on the glass. This beer really does not look appetizing.

S - This has a very faint smell, but it's nothing you would really want to smell a lot of. Basically smells like any other macro lager.

T - The taste pretty much follows the nose. It's very watered down, no good flavors really stand out. This is not a good beer, and it leaves a bad aftertaste in the mouth.

M - This has a very light mouthfeel with normal carbonation. Feels watery, and leaves a bad aftertaste.

D - Does not go down too easy because of the flavor. The fact that its watery makes it go down quickly though. I could drink a lot of these, but it would feel like I was punishing myself.

JizackFH, Nov 26, 2010
1.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours clear yellow with a very small shirt lived white head. Very little aroma and little to no flavor. Palate very light body and carbonation. Finish is very bland with virtually no flavor. It was the only beer available at a barbecue. Overall did not like this at all.

Samp01, Nov 24, 2010

Had one of these the other night at a party just because of beer pong. Figured it was time to finally put up this review. Had it plenty of times over the years.

A: Pale piss color yellow. No head. No lacing.

S: What smell? Skunk is not a smell, it's an awful moment in time.

T: Piss for sure. It's just awful. Can't stomach it. I generally avoid it completely if I can since my introduction into craft brews.

M: Thin, overly carbonated, and all around bad.

D: Others have been giving this a higher rating in this category just because of the popularity. Frankly I find it extremely difficult to get it down because of the high carbonation and awful flavor. It makes me sick.

ryantaussig, Nov 18, 2010
2.73/5  rDev +47.6%

Appearance: Pale yellow, clear, light head that disappears very quickly, good carbonation.
Smell: Very faint. Can detect some barley and hops, maybe rice.
Taste: Very weak and watery. Can barely detect an aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Light and watery, carbonation is medium frothy.
Drinkability: Exceptionally high.
Summary: This is a horrible beer. I gave it a 5.9/10, or an F. As far as beer goes, this one's not a good choice. If you're in need of light beer, then I would say it's okay. It's cheap, highly drinkable (because it's basically like drinking water), and can get you drunk if you drink enough of it. In my younger days this was the standard beer of choice for parties (Due to cheapness, availability, and drinkability). This beer loses a lot of points for taste and satisfaction, but gains a few for drinkability. So if you're goal is to get really drunk or supply several guests with beer and save money, then by all means go for this beer. If your goal is to enjoy a great beer, look elsewhere. I wouldn't drink this beer again unless the only other available options were the rest of the commercial light beers.

Aphexwolf, Nov 12, 2010
1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

47th review on BA
Can to pint glass

I really have a lot left in the house as you can see from some of the reviews the last two days. I had Costco beer, left over BL and a Heineken which I need to review. I wanted to give it a go. I haven't had a BL in YEARS so wanted to get in on the rating of this bad boy.

App- It's a very pale yellow with no head to speak of and no carbonation. Its stagnant like a pond no one goes to anymore and the wind doesn't blow.

Smell- I smelled so hard that beer went in my nose and still didn't smell anything.

Taste- I don't want to finish it. I was trying to see if it was that bad and it was. I don't understand how BMC sells so many beers?

M- Its slick and watery

D- NO

FosterJM, Nov 11, 2010
1.85/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12oz can into a tumbler for chugging due to loss of Tiger Wood 2010 hole.

A- looks as though my dog has wet my cup, and is unshameful about it, because I can't get a confession out of him. Carbonation implies that he may have drank some of my tonic water before urinating in my glass. Will do later tests to confirm this.

S- Like a skunk, after I ran over it, minus the marijuana appeal. Carbonation in my nose feels like I just bumped seltzer water.

T- Chewing a penny, with some kind of club soda like appeal that makes you reminisce about the time you lost that bet that you could hold your breath for a whole minute and had to chew on a penny with club soda because your friends thought it would be funny.

M - see above.

Comments: I have had this beer many times--none of which were by choice. If I could, I would sue the owner of this company for sexual harrassment. As the can is consumed, the taste gradually reaches the threshold of fecal matter-y taste, mixed with the delicious hints of rusted iron gates that just makes you unbelievably happy that you risked physical harm in order to try this delicacy of a 'beer'.

iwantsomerocks, Nov 10, 2010
2.13/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured this one hard into a large mug from the 12 oz can.

A: The beer is a bright pale yellow with a 2 finger pure white head with surprisingly ok retention.

S: Absolutely no smell... Which was very strange. As the beer warms a bit there is a touch of cooked veggie.

T: A touch of grain and a bit of sweetness. Almost tasteless. Other than a touch of sweetness not much to say.

DRINKABILITY!