Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
YonderWanderer

Colorado

1.15/5  rDev -37.5%

Ah, Bud Light, it's been a long time since I had tried you. And yet, somehow last night, I ended up with one in my glass, and I said, what the hell, let's see where this goes. Sadly, it didn't go too far, as I simply couldn't get through it.

It pours a pale, straw colored yellow, almost the shade of urine. Vastly appealing, I assure you. The smell is the typical macro lager smell, which, is to say it's not appealing. Taste is barely there. I suppose one nice thing about it is that there isn't a lot of flavor packed into this beer. It's pretty bland, with the usual taste of corn and maybe a bit of malt, and probably some dirty water too. The mouthfeel is ok, I mean, it's carbonated well, and it's as thin as water.

As for drinkability, given the sheer number of people who do drink it, obviously it goes down easy, and you can drink a lot of them in a night. But, in terms of drinkability for flavor and for enjoying it, stay the hell away from this one.

01-11-2008 12:52:25 | More by YonderWanderer
berserker256

2.08/5  rDev +13%

Transparent foamy and urine-like in appearance. Typical shameful presence of corn, metal, dirt, and hay found within the aroma and taste. Very light and watery. Decent carbonation. Easy to drink just like water is but the taste is very mediocre. If somebody's buying these all night at a bar I'll drink them because they're free but I don't buy them myself. It's better than no beer at all... And that's about it.

01-06-2008 18:20:55 | More by berserker256
JamesS

Indiana

2.17/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured a very light straw color, little head and no lacing. Has almost no scent, just an extremely light floral/malty scent. Almost no taste, either, an extremely bland beer. Went down very smooth, though.

Every beer has its place. I got this last night at the hotel buffet. It was free and the only beer available. It did a pretty good job of quenching my thirst and getting me ready to have better beer later on.

01-01-2008 16:58:50 | More by JamesS
n0315

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

Ahh, the very popular party beer. Cheap in a keg and the people like to drink it because its the olny beer they have ever had.

Apperance is lite in color with decent bubble action. A lighter yellow color than budweiser of miller.

smell is similar to water a beer, a close mixture.

Taste is just plain bad.a very bland "beer" that leaves a sour taste.

Mouth feel is just very thin, almost thinner than water.

Drink about two and you're in the bathroom. Leaves you bloated and just not a very good beer, all round.

12-27-2007 22:18:13 | More by n0315
BeaBeerWife

I drank a bottle of corn syrup, chased it down with some rice. I then went on to a chemical laboratory and proceeded to consume every unnatural preservative I could find. I then began to spend multi-millions of dollars on showing half naked girls on TV raving about how my beer is tops. After my really bad indigestion, I went to the toilet to bottle my processed beer.

By this time, everyone's brains had been washed thoroughly and they went to Walmart to buy my bottled pee.

12-26-2007 21:46:00 | More by BeaBeerWife
rodenbach99

Quebec (Canada)

look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

canette de 341ml.

bière blonde légère industrielle, avec une mousse chimique, sans grand intérêt. odeur de malt, maïs et autres produits substitut, en bouche elle est liquide et très légère,rafraichissante comme de l'eau, petit goût métallique. elle est sans grand intérêt pour les amateurs. pour les journées chaudes.

12-26-2007 20:20:46 | More by rodenbach99
baos

Indiana

1.23/5  rDev -33.2%

12 oz into glass

A: Head disappears quickly. Very pale and bunk looking.

S: Metallic grain.

T: Slight grain and malt that gives way to metal and I hate to say bile.

M: Yay I'm water.

D: I've drank many of these in one sitting, but now I can hardly stomach one. Tastes like bitter metal.

12-26-2007 00:27:48 | More by baos
boogles

Kansas

2.28/5  rDev +23.9%

I recently shared some of this with pizza at an after rehearsal choir gathering, appropriately served very cold. A witty choir member announced, "tastes like pretzels." Her comment was as generous as it was caustic. This is not at all a good beer, but it is decent among the very poor American light lager style, certainly preferable to Natural Light and other undrinkable beers. In fact, I'd choose Bud Light over Dogfish Head's chicory stout, and I mean this from the bottom of my (growing) gut ... not from my heart though--it's pretty bad.

12-22-2007 06:16:06 | More by boogles
abriggs1

Connecticut

1.05/5  rDev -42.9%

I can't even drink this shit anymore. Seriously, it's like you're unamerican if you don't have Bud Light at your party for all the people who have horrible taste in beer. I wish I could say this shit was tasteless cause then at least you wouldn't taste the rank ass they obviously use to brew it with. What's funny is I think regular Bud isn't that bad, but this stuff makes me feel like I'm not even drinking real beer. It leaves a hollow void in my mouth and in my soul.

12-20-2007 20:29:52 | More by abriggs1
fightingirishcmk

1.68/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Straw colored, reminds me of a UA description (urinalysis). Two fingered head with short retention. Little to no lacing left on the glass.

S: Anybody else smell something metallic? Has a grainy, musty smell.

T: Weird corny, grainy type taste. Very light and mostly inoffensive. Not sweet, yet not bitter. The presence of hops is certainly lacking

M: Very crisp, yet seems to be overcarbonated. The bubbles take away from me wanting to hold the beer in my mouth. Or maybe that is just the taste.

D: Well, its pretty darn easy to drink. Especially because it isn't filling, and the taste just makes you want completely bypass your tongue.

12-18-2007 05:35:11 | More by fightingirishcmk
dsa7783

2.75/5  rDev +49.5%

For all those carb-conscious weight-watchers who enjoy lite beers, bud lite is a good choice for those not wishing to consume too many calories and also desire something of a taste... Although not a particularly big fan of anything the Budweiser company has to offer, this is a decent lite beer selection from the many out there on the market... before I started really appreciating beer I'd cop a 24 ounce can for $.99 any time I wanted a cheap buzz... The appearance and smell are similar to many macros out there, but the taste is a notch-up (although nothing at all to write home about)... I am basing this review in respect to its particular category of a lite beer and not compared to beers overall... There are much better lite beers on the market, but this does the job well and is pretty inexpensive... Wouldn't go out and buy a sixer, but would drink it if it was offered... Not bad for a lite beer...

12-16-2007 20:13:41 | More by dsa7783
SargeC

Japan

3.03/5  rDev +64.7%

Appearance: Very pale yellow with a fizzy head.

Smell: Limited aroma.

Taste: This beer has limited character. Minor hints of beer flavor. Simple.

Mouthfeel: Very light body.

Drinkability: Easy to down. If you intend to drink one, you can end up drinking three pretty fast. Another good after-work, parking lot brew.

12-15-2007 04:01:16 | More by SargeC
Foxman

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

It pours an especially pale yellow that's crystal clear and readily carbonated. A fizzy finger of bright white head crops up and hangs a bit. Lacing is incidental and rare.

The aroma is thin to the point of almost imperceptible, with the exception of vague allusions to hop spice and a vegetal graininess. It's not awful only because I can't sense enough to decide.

Upon tasting, I wondered what I'm drinking, because the thin grain note is hardly malt, and what's there is too damned watery to note specifically. The hops are crisp, mildly bitter, and moderately skunky. The finish is blissfully brief and clean.
This is flavor?

Ultra-light bodied, it actually feels like it has thinner consistency than water itself, which helps in taking away everything it's too thin to leave behind.

The same way I am hesitant to give a beer all fives, I'm hesitant to give a beer all ones. I've justified all fives. This one came close to all ones, but not quite. With the exception of the insipid flavor, it is just a half step above lousy, but that's better than horrible, so I want to keep it in perspective. Simply, if you have to drink a light beer, and this is your choice, you should consider foregoing beer altogether. Isn't this at or near the top of the heap sales-wise?
That says a lot about the American consumer, I'm afraid.

12-13-2007 16:58:27 | More by Foxman
deltatauhobbit

Maine

1.78/5  rDev -3.3%

It is what it is. Probably the most successful selling beer year round. Certainly not the worst of light beers and it fits the bill if playing drinking games (don't want to waste goods beers when you don't have the time to truly enjoy them).

Pours golden yellow with a watery taste. The benefit is that it's cheap and you can drink many of them, comes in handy in a social setting.

12-10-2007 02:31:29 | More by deltatauhobbit
JBogan

Nevada

2.38/5  rDev +29.3%

Poured a very pale yellow with a thin film of a head that disappeared almost instantly. Smelled mostly of grains, not much else.

Tasted also mainly of grains and not much else. Not a complex brew by any means.

Actually had a pretty good mouthfeel. Nice and crisp with good carbonation. Perhaps a little on the thin side though.

All in all I guess this was a drinkable beer if you're just looking for something to have in your hand while being sociable. It's sort of like there's music that is made to be "background music", something not to really listen to but just plays in the background while you're concentrating on something else. This beer is like that.

Certainly a thousand other beers out there that are better, but still this isn't all that offensive. What IS offensive is that this beer alone probably sells a thousand times more than those other thousand better beers put together. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water, or in this case beer ...

12-09-2007 18:39:48 | More by JBogan
JoeyBeerBelly

3.4/5  rDev +84.8%

12oz bottle, served in a plastic cup.

A - yellow liquid with bubbles

S - not much to the smell, a little grainy.

T - this is bud light, it tastes like watered down bud.

M - light bodied and crisply carbonated

D - a real man can drink a case of this by himself!

Final Note: I visited my nephew's new bachelor pad and this was all he had, I asked him for a glass and he gave me a plastic 'keg cup'.

12-08-2007 00:48:26 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
franksnbeans

2.5/5  rDev +35.9%

Bud light, bood light, bud light, bood light. Pours out a clear straw color with a soapy white head that dies instantly. Smells of corn and water. Taste is corny malts, a little earthy and not much beyond that. Basically water in the mouth with big carbonation. The 5 of us drank 75 of these while watching Beerfest 3 times in a row while playing beerpong. Capped off the night by pouring all cups made in our glass boot and loser chugs. We were living our yesteryears and it was great. This beer is perfect for such events.

12-03-2007 07:54:05 | More by franksnbeans
jletts

Washington

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

Appeared sudsy and yellow, overcarbonated. Smelled of yeast and corn. Some salt. Tasted mellow of corn with dry grassy notes and light weak hops. Seltzer water mouthfeel.

I felt I should try and review a beer that I used to drink (but don't anymore) and give it an honest review. It's difficult to believe this liquid I'm drinking is actually beer, but alas the label proclaims it as such. I was trying to keep this beer's style in mind when reviewing (light lager) but it doesn't compare to almost any other light lagers I've ever tried. This is painful to drink, though I can see how an inexperienced palate may consider this refreshing and benign enough to enjoy as a session beer.

11-28-2007 23:49:40 | More by jletts
tronester

Oklahoma

1.53/5  rDev -16.8%

I was given a can of Bud Light at a Thanksgiving party. I did not want to be rude so I accepted it. The beer smells of corn. There is a sickly sweet taste, highly carbonated, with only a hint of bitterness from the hops. Mouthfeel is very thin. Drinkable due to how light it is, but not very enjoyable. I personally do not like the taste of this beer (or just about any light lager for that matter).

11-23-2007 19:59:01 | More by tronester
clayrock81

1.18/5  rDev -35.9%

The worst beer I've ever had. I am only rating this for guys who might be in my position - you're at a sports bar or something, so you know the only thing foreign on the menu is french fries (or are they still freedom fries?) and that the darkest beer in the place is a Guiness. You just want a beer or two, something light so you're not bloated the next day and you see this on tap. Don't! I think if Crayola combined yellow and clear they'd come up with this color. As for the smell, none except grains and rice. As for the taste, all they did was water down a Bud. Seriously, just take a Budweiser and mix it w/ water. Now, I know it seems pointless, even juvenile to write such a negative review rather than just grade the beer on its own merits, but this review should be a warning - do not bother with this at all. Just get a Miller Lite or Mich Ultra instead if you're in the same situation I was.

11-18-2007 17:21:07 | More by clayrock81
stumac

2.17/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Out of a bottle this beer can be quite unenjoyable. But on draft, I must admit, this beer is OK. And keep in mind when I say its OK that I mean it is better than Miller(piss) and Coors and it is probably the only thing on draft at this booney ass bar.

Color: looks the same way its gonna come back out.

Smell: very faint hops. VERY faint.

Taste: water with about one hop added to it.

Body: almost a gas its so light

I would definately keep this in stock in my fridge. But solely to get the girls I invite over drunk off of beer pong.

11-08-2007 02:52:57 | More by stumac
sloejams

2.1/5  rDev +14.1%

My friend always has a ton of "Bud Lightski's" in his fridge. He knows I'm not usually going anywhere near them. But every once in awhile I let down my guard and take his challenge. I always regret it.

It's basically like drinking straw flavored carbonated water, if anyone would ever do that. Why is it so carbonated? Where are the hops? Why did I do this? Not the worst beer I've had in my life, but the worst I've had this month.

11-06-2007 01:18:09 | More by sloejams
iceball585

1.63/5  rDev -11.4%

A- Bright yellow color, clear, thin white ring of a head, some tiny bubbles rising

S- Mostly metallic smell, hint of malt and hops

T- Metallic, pale malts, corn, slight hops

M- Light/medium weight, very carbonated, oily finish

D- If you're just looking to get drunk, then I guess it's ok

Typical macro-brewery light beer. Not much flavor and not much to talk about. I guess it serves it's purpose.

11-05-2007 22:00:57 | More by iceball585
metallistout

1.65/5  rDev -10.3%

Bottle with born on date.
Pours a yellow to almost clear liquid with a head that diminished so fast that I wish i woud have shook the bottle just to get a head. Smell like any other light macro beer, not much to it. Smell of corn and a hint of barley.

The taste is not really even there. Small malt flavor, big corn/rice flavor. No hops even noticed. Like drinking beer flavored gatorade.

I know I'm not supposed to slam a beer, but I have to say one thing. I drank hard liquor for years, because my friends and family always had Bud Light or some other Light Macro, these were the beers that I was first introduced to. Because of this, I did not really like beer until my mid twenties, when I was first introduced to Sam Adams(A macro that USA can be proud of). Then I realized that there were other beers out there that tasted like real beer. I can't believe that I hear people always saying that they prefer Bud light, but can't drink Coors Light, or Miller Light etc.... This makes me laugh, because they all suck!!!

10-28-2007 04:52:10 | More by metallistout
MMAJYK

Georgia

2.4/5  rDev +30.4%

A- Light golden color, with rapidly diminishing head.

S- Smell of faint hops.

T- Tastes bland and watered down. That is about all you can say about it. Nothing standout-ish what so ever.

M- Very carbonated and just watered down. NO backbone.

D- Drinkable beer with a minimal shelf life. Drink these with your boys while camping or fishing, but if you have a choice, stay away. Not good.

10-26-2007 12:47:43 | More by MMAJYK