Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros
civilizedpsycho

1.85/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Clear, yellow color, with a small head.

Smell: Nothing. It had almost no smell whatsoever.

Taste: Light bitter flavor, but not much of anything. It had very little flavor more than water.

Mouthfeel: It feels like carbonated water.

Drinkability: Not very good as it is too carbonated for me. It is good for beer pong, but I would rather drink regular Bud.

05-28-2009 03:10:25 | More by civilizedpsycho
Patrick999

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

Yes, I am reviewing Bud Light...and I think I'm actually in a position to give it a fair review. Finished a particularly rough game of league flag football....lost a tough one, I'm completely gassed. Hell, I was gassed by halftime - we didn't have the players to sub, so I had to try to go full throttle all game.

After we lost, throwing a pick 6 on the goal line when a touchdown would have won it for us, one of the guys on the opposing team, apparently recognizing my effort, offered me a Bud Light. I took it, thanked him, and proceeded to down a medium jug of Gatorade. Got home, tossed the BL in the freezer. I think I'm ready for it.

Am I worthy of this American classic, this fizzy yellow beer, this liquid poem to the glory of the rice grain? We'll find out.

A - I choose a pokal as my drinking vessel. The can pops, I start pouring...and damn, is this beer ever fizzy. Actually a pretty nice head. Holy shit, is this beer ever clear. It isn't even fizzy yellow beer, it's fizzy non-color beer. It has no color. Active carbonation rises, maintaining decent retention. Aside from the disturbing lack of color, not a horrible looking beer.

S - Now the aroma, I don't really care for. Generic "beer" aroma, like what you would smell on a "beer" scratch 'n sniff sticker. You '80s children, remember those? I guess that's rice and corn I'm smelling....but you damn well know this beer wasn't meant to be smelled. I score it as such.

T - It really does have all the flavor of a bowl of plain white rice, with a surprisingly noticeable little alcohol bite. I guess that's to be expected, as there's really nothing to hide even slight ABV. I taste neither hop nor malted barley. Though I haven't let it warm much, it doesn't taste *bad*, there's just not much to it.

F - Like most light-bodied beers, it's burpy. And watery.

D - Well, for the first few sips, it *does* come off as refreshing, but that's a mirage. I could finish it, sure...but there just isn't anything to catch your interest in the slightest. You'd get far more out of a pint of Guinness Draught or Boddingtons, if you want something this light. As always, if you're going to drink it, drink it cold and quick. It starts to *decouple* somehow as it warms; not good.

05-25-2009 02:46:16 | More by Patrick999
jcpaulun

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

I figure I have to review this since I used to drink this before I got turned on to craft.

A: Pours a very pale yellow with a fluffy white head that disapates quickly.

S: Not much there. It smells a bit of corn and maybe rice. It is not offensive, but that is problaby because there is not much there to be offended by.

T: Again, not much there. Watery with more cereal grains with the faintest bit of hop bitterness at the end.

M: Very thin and crisp. As others have said, a dry finish. It is also highly carbonated.

D: You could drink these one after another. But one must ask themselves why have another when ther are so many other beers to try and enjoy?

05-19-2009 03:13:39 | More by jcpaulun
MunchkinDrinker

Maryland

1.98/5  rDev +7%

A - Pale yellow. Clear. Bubbly head, dissapates quickly.

S - Not much here. Sweet. Corn? Sugar? No hops. Can't say it smells bad though.

T/M - Biting and overly fizzy carbonation. Flavor is worse than the smell. Very light but sweet taste. Mostly corn. No real malt or hops discernable.

D - Well, there isn't enough taste to hamper its drinkability. It's beer flavored seltzer.

05-19-2009 02:44:40 | More by MunchkinDrinker
twiggamortis420

1.85/5  rDev 0%

Mmmm, leftover bud light. At least the cooler still had ice in it. Pours a crystal clear extra light yellow color. Large-bubbled fizzy white head recedes to nothingness in mere seconds.

Smells pretty much like carbonated water. Maybe a light waft of sweet malts and rice. This might just be the most neutral smelling beer.

Taste is more of the same, carbonated water with just a mild sake-like rice alcohol flavor and touches of graininess here and there. I dont get any maltiness or hop flavor. I really think the carbonation adds the most flavor here. At least bud light has something other beers dont...drinkability ;)

05-17-2009 18:27:15 | More by twiggamortis420
Tomdee74

Connecticut

This beer is very popular and loved by so many. I am not one of those people. It pours very light yellow. Neither the smell, nor the taste are desirable. I must say the quality is not good. There was a time when I liked this, but it was when i was a young boy and before I tried anything else. I can understand why someone from europe would laugh at the united states for making this. I hope Inbev can help.

05-14-2009 22:15:48 | More by Tomdee74
steanu

1.38/5  rDev -25.4%

A-This on ST. Patty's day so it was green so it hid it's bland coloring.

S- It didn't have much of a smell to it at all.

T-It really does not have any flavor. It tastes like soda water that had one little hop put into it, it's not a very exciting beer.

M-it does not finish clean either. It tastes a little rotten at the bottom.

D-it's not my kind of beer.

Bud Light is good if you want to chug and get wasted w/ your friends and save money. But, I'd rather use Pabt's blue Ribbon for that because it's better than Bud Light. Bud Light is really not my favorite beer but man does the Bucsh company have an awesome theme park!

05-14-2009 21:24:35 | More by steanu
drunkboxer1

2.4/5  rDev +29.7%

Did a side by side with Coors Light and it barely won. Pale, pale color pour wit a very thin ring of head. If you really try you can smell some faint grains, possibly some corn -but honestly it was really hard to smell over the food that was next to it. Tastes crisp, clean (as advertised). There's nothing to offend in the palate, but nothing to like really. I could drink a million of these but frankly I'd rather have something cheaper if I were getting something along these lines.

05-12-2009 19:04:21 | More by drunkboxer1
Poormon79

3.9/5  rDev +110.8%

A. Straw pale yellow. Pretty good amount of carbonation. Thin head

S. corny aroma, slight malt and hoppy

T. Sweet floral flavor

M. Seemed a bit watery. Enough flavor to call it beer but, mostly went down like water

D. Its a light beer. I like it when i party. Goes down fast an easy

Final Thoughts: Pretty much yellow water with alcohol. Haha some added flavors as well. Very drinkable

05-10-2009 02:28:47 | More by Poormon79
holycrapamoly

This has to be the worst beer in the world. I would rather drink Black Label any day, and I NEVER drink that. Even worse than Coors Light. I remember my days working for a landscape crew, and we would have to pick up dozens and dozens of these bottles before we mowed outside our local wings place where people had thrown them off the balcony into the grass. I think this says something about the type of person who would order one of these awful excuses for a beer. That's not fair, they just don't know better (at least I hope.) OK, OK. I know...No slamming. Excellent marketing, really. I hope that InBev can improve on this product. It was amazing to me how many people bemoaned the purchase of A-B by a BELGIAN company because they'd "ruin the beer!" A. Too Late. B. Please "ruin" it. Make it something like an actual beer.

A-Bath water
S-Sour, maybe a bit of malt.
T-Bath water.
M-Bath water.
D-I really can't get through one without acute, sharp pain behind my eyes. Seriously. I have no idea what it is in this beverage that causes this. Arsenic?

05-09-2009 15:56:07 | More by holycrapamoly
biggred1

Indiana

1.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Palest yellow with a fizzy white head that fades really quickly into a skim. Smells shitty and faintly sour, rice and other spent grain round out the nose. Tastes dry and faintly of used up adjuncts. Watery, seltzer mouthfeel. Drinkable only at a ballgame out of a plastic cup when you're truly parched.

05-07-2009 03:01:43 | More by biggred1
cjl1209

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Pours a pale straw color with a half finger of white head that dissipates immediately.

S - Corn, sweet grass, and slight malts. The corn is highly noticeable and is much more prevalent than the canned version.

T - Sweet corn and other adjuncts. Make that lots of corn with an obvious grain characteristic as well. No hop flavor but slightly more bitter than in the can. Minimal malts.

M - Thin and watery.

D - Goes down easy but not because of the flavor.

Final Thoughts: The bottled version is much cornier and has more pronounced adjunct flavors leaving me to prefer its canned counterpart.

Notes: Consumed and reviewed back to back in both can and bottle form.

05-03-2009 23:43:21 | More by cjl1209
Monsteruss

Colorado

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Egad! Bud Light!
Foam was light,light wheat in color that dissapated real quick with a serious carbonation issue. The color was a light gold almost yellow water. Smell was crisp and very small hints of hops. Absolutely no contribution to the senses. Taste, what taste? There was a feeling of 'no taste' involved except subtle hints of hops. Mouthfeel - crisp, carbonated. Drinkability - for me, it was hard drinking a beer with no taste compared to most other beers.

05-01-2009 20:39:13 | More by Monsteruss
lonestar1836

1.9/5  rDev +2.7%

A: clear pale golden color with foamy white head that diminishes quickly

S: corny with rice aroma hardly any hopps and a slightly metalic aroma

T: watery corny almost garlicy falvor at first but later there's a slightly sweet and almost floral flavor

M: watery and very foamy

D: this is the "light" version of the "king of beers" but i've difinately had better light beers

04-28-2009 00:00:33 | More by lonestar1836
PintOHops

3.58/5  rDev +93.5%

Poured from a new slim aluminum 16oz bottle into a mug.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared ultra clear, straw yellow with medium carbonation and a quarter inch of fizzy, soda pop like head that dies down very quickly. Effervescent or, seltzer like. Leaves no lacing as well. Smells of faint fruity apple, pair, and grape aromas, coupled by a lite but evident malt, rice & grain aroma. Overall lite aromas, with nothing dominate, but mostly just grain & rice aromas.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of ultra lite grain & rice, some evident malt that actually lingers on the tongue a bit. Some slight hop bitterness on the finish, very clean & lite, thirst quenching actually. Crisp! Mouthfeel is crisp, thin, lite & a little smooth with a small bite of carbonation on the tongue. Lite bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Well first off, Ill start by saying, not bad at all. Iv been meaning to pick up some BL and review it, I just thought that it wasn't going to be a pleasurable experience. I really like the drinkability of this, and the flavors don't get boring or tiring, just enough flavor to be thirst quenching and leave you wanting more, and pairs well with any food, especially Mexican! Decent lite beer in my opinion, Id say give it a try, you just might like it. Cheers!

04-25-2009 22:00:40 | More by PintOHops
mwlyons02

3.2/5  rDev +73%

Pours a golden color with a 1' white head. This is a run of the mill American light beer. Very good for summer days and watching baseball games. Not a beer that was made to compete with top beers in the world, but an American tradition and a consistent taste.

04-22-2009 23:48:37 | More by mwlyons02
Thorpe429

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

On tap from the parents' keg.

G: Poured into the ubiquitous Bud Light pint glass.

A: Very pale colored with loads and loads of carbonation. White head that dissipates very quickly. Little lacing.

S: Slightly metallic and grainy. Nothing exceptional here. No hop presence, and any "malt" is simply the adjunct.

T: About the same as the smell, though the mouthfeel is certainly worse than the taste.

M: Very light. The carbonation level of seltzer water. Way, way, way too carbonated. No thank you. Although, the carbonation levels are much better on tap than out of the bottle.

D: This is "drinking game" drinkable. It's not skunky and I won't spit it out, but it lacks any real taste and the mouthfeel is absolutely atrocious.

04-21-2009 02:25:11 | More by Thorpe429
rodney45

2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

I'll tell you, this beer isnt the worst beer ive tried in my life. In fact it doesnt even taste all that much different than water... I will here, in part, describe the differences between this beer and regular tap water. Smells like nothing, in fact it smells a lot like corn, plus sugar? Very Yellow, and very not carbonated. It tastes a whole lot like cardboard mixed with a small bit of corn, plus a small bit of malt roastedness at the end. Its very easy going down, and almost, but not entirely drinkable. However, im sure at $1.95 a 24 ounce can, its acceptable for the american macro... Dont drink this, unless you're forced at knife point. however if you're out of any sort of good beer, and this beer is within walking distance.... and its the only beer sold at the store, go ahead and pick up one.... but dont drink it, unless you're already very drunk, like me.

04-18-2009 05:03:55 | More by rodney45
EatsTacos

Yukon (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev +44.9%

Had this one from a can and thought I might as well rate it and poured it into a tall pilsner glass.

One finger head, no lacing. Pale yellow.

Aroma is metallic, wet cardboard, sourness

Flavour is more metal, some mild bitterness, adjuncts, dust, wood

Very light bodied, high crisp carbonation

04-18-2009 00:19:52 | More by EatsTacos
crazeguy

2.95/5  rDev +59.5%

Well its come to my attention that I have only reviewed some of the best beers in the world(as listed by BA). I thought it was time to truly appreciate what I'm lucky enough to have by reviewing something I'd rather not.

Poured from a 12oz can into a pilsner glass. Nice head admittedly at first but that faded as soon as I walked to my computer.

Appearance is crystal clear yellowish.

Smell is very metallic.

taste, what taste? As far as I can tell this has no real taste.

Mouth feel, water. Same consistency as water, only slightly more carbonation.

Drinkability, I guess all of those commercials were right, it has superior drinkabilty. The drinkability of water.

04-15-2009 09:09:31 | More by crazeguy
Gavage

1.98/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: pours a crystal clear pale yellow color with a 1/2" head that falls apart quickly. No lacing develops.

Smell: slight corn and grass aroma that is really not too pleasant.

Taste: very weak malt profile with some grass, corn, hint of a green grape tartness, and little bitterness.

Mouthfeel: crisp throughout. Light in body. Aftertaste is clean.

Drinkability: the pure lack of any flavor make this hard to drink. Go find a Sam Adams Light if you want some flavor in the style.

04-12-2009 19:50:20 | More by Gavage
curasowa

2.95/5  rDev +59.5%

Pours a pale, straw color with 1 fingers worth of head that fades with minimal lacing. Not much smell, just some slight sweetness and slight graininess. Taste is mostly carbonation, with just a trace of bitterness and a fast, clean finish. Now, I'm not claiming Bud Light is some god-send of a beer, but for the style of American Macro Light Lager, its one of the better ones. Its very clean, refreshing and drinkable. It is what it is.

04-11-2009 22:18:08 | More by curasowa
webmanspidey

1.85/5  rDev 0%

Why not.. on tap at a bar whose only selections were this, Miller Lite, and Labatt Blue.

Pale, completely transparent yellow. Smell is rotten corn and some sort of artificial chemicals. Taste is very light and watered down, very slight taste of alcohol. No hops flavor whatsoever. Highly carbonated mouthfeel. Drinkability is average, this is just not an exciting beer.

This really isn't the worst beer, it is just hard to believe this is the only beer some people will ever drink.

04-10-2009 05:59:38 | More by webmanspidey
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

On-tap, served in a large mug glass.

A: The beer is a light straw yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains some light malts and adjuncts with a tiny bit of hops.

T: The taste doesn't have very much to it as you would expect from this type of beer. It's watery with some adjunct sweetness and a very faint touch of hops. There's a very thin malt character. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not flavorful at all, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there's nothing to it, not too filling, very mild kick, it's certainly a light beer but there are definitely other light beers that I would pick first if I had to.

04-07-2009 00:40:14 | More by TheManiacalOne
grayburn

South Carolina

1.93/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer is as clear as they come, a light perfectly crystal light yellow. Decent head and lacing, which surprised me.
There wasn't a smell...really, I could smell many other things from outside the glass, but nothing from within. Maybe a touch of alcohol if you really push your nose around.
The taste was just about the same, there wasn't any flavor. No hops, no malt, no yeast....how did the alcohol get in here?
The mouthfeel was pretty good, crisp, clean, and refreshing.
This beer, as well as many ab products, gives me a splitting headache. I had one pint, with food last night, and woke up in pain, the drinkability score suffers slightly for this

04-05-2009 21:02:00 | More by grayburn