Bud Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Alström Bros

Poured this from a can, into a plastic cup. Wish i had a frozen mug. It pours a very faint yellow color that you would barely guess was a beer. Very clear. It produced a small white head, poor retention and zero lacing. The aroma was....well not there...Smelled like beachwood aged water. This beer is very light in body- there really is not much taste, no hop flavor to speak of, no real malt or grain flavor. I think all i taste are bubbles. Worst beer I have ever had.

GossageBrewery, Jun 30, 2011

Poured into a wine glass, of all things.

A: Pale gold. Pour did not leave any sort of head.

S: Seltzer water. I seriously didn't get much of a scent of anything out of this.

T: Watery with a faint haunting of malt. Flavor was minimal.

M: Bud Light is basically beer-flavored soda. There's a lot of fizz and not a lot of body. Carbonated and very thin, it's designed to slide down your throat and away from your tongue, where it is not needed.

O: If it's warm out and there was nothing else, I'd drink it. It's not bad per se. It's not really anything.

DirtyPenny, Jun 30, 2011
1.13/5  rDev -38.9%

A - There is no head to this beer and it appears to be slightly yellowish water when poured into a glass. However, most people do not care enough for this beer to be poured into a glass, so it is nearly universally served in the can.

S - I don't know how they managed to make this smell so little like beer. The smell is unrecognizable to anything I've ever had home or microbrewed. The strongest smell is aluminium, even when poured out of the can. There is a pungent, unpleasant odor that doesn't quite remind me of hops, it's wrong some how.

T - Awful. That's the word. Even in my most decadent mood, I still can't finish an entire can of this beer. That is really saying something. The taste is a decided step down from water. I can think of no redeeming qualities of the taste.

M - Somehow this beer makes my mouth feel dryer, but not in a way that makes me want to drink more. It is a particularly hard beer to drink if you haven't spent years growing accustomed to it.

O - I believe the combination of mass brewing with low flavor ingredients like rice (to replace barley) and poorly cultured yeasts yield a massively inferior beer. This is truly the bottom rung of beer.

theJollySin, Jun 28, 2011
2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Here we go...

A - Pours a watery-yellow with tone of carbonation rushes to a frothy, white three-finger head. Head stays intact 3/4 down the glass before dissipating. Leaves a substantial amount of thin lace on the side of the glass.

S - Not much. I little bit of cereal adjuncts, grains and hint of sweet malt immediately following the pour. Then virtually nothing.

T - Grainy flavors and a bit of alcohol upfront. Sweet malty body with a large dose of cereal adjuncts and just barely perceptible hop bitterness to help balance the malt. The finish is a sweet flurry of adjuncts followed by a stale-cereal aftertaste.

M - An iota thicker than seltzer water. Becomes a bit of a chore to drink as the beer warms.

This is the beer of choice for my father-in-law and I get him a 12 or 18-pack every time he visits. He missed one this time, so I decided to take a trip down undergrad lane and review it. I was impressed by the amount of lacing this beer left behind, but the cereal adjuncts and horrid mouthfeel made me glad he only left one. Probably a slightly below-average macro that needs to be taken ice-cold if one if is to subject themselves to it.

Bockrules, Jun 28, 2011
1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

So I am sure no one needs to read these reviews anyways but the beer is straw yellow, even more so than regular budweiser. A half finger head forms. The smell is of barely. Taste is bitter, less so than budweiser, which is noticeable immediately and remains long after you have finished the beer. The beer tastes and looks watered down but really its just lack of hop flavoring. Far more watered down than its non-light version.

kylehay2004, Jun 27, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm shocked (but not surprised) that I have never, ever reviewed Bud Light in over 9 years of beer-advocacy. I've done over a dozen AB products but not this marketing juggernaut. Not even the 3.2 (4.0 abv) version sold in Oklahoma when I lived there. I am in Arkansas now and have access to BL the way it was intended, weighing in (volume-ing in I suppose) at 4.2% abv. I've certainly had a few as this was about the only beer available at certain parties, as part of a shared pitcher with friends, and at various events such as the Tulsa State Fair (pre-craft beer revolution that is. Took me moving away to kick that off *slaps forehead*). Anyway, I bought some to serve to guests (yes, I want people to feel welcome--I'm a beer geek, not a beer snob.) at a recent party. I thought whatever was left over could be used for educational purposes:

Look: very pale straw color. Thin head. Blah.
Smell: cooked rice, faint cereal smell, seltzer
Taste: almost nonexistent--seltzer and an accidental splash of Michelob.
Mouthfeel: Take a guess.
Overall: Blah, bland and leaves a weak seltzer and white whine (er, "wine") aftertaste.

Honestly, if you look at my reviews of other light lagers, you can see that there are much cheaper beers that have more character than this abomination. It does not taste bad, it just has no taste.

On the bright side, it will flush out your kidneys and cool you down.

EagleTalon, Jun 26, 2011
1.58/5  rDev -14.6%

A: Clear and pale yellow color with a very slight white head.

S: Gross, especially as it warms. Corn syrup and grain with a pretty good hint of wet dog ass.

T: Watered down corn and grain and soggy kix cereal if you used water instead of milk. Pretty awful and one I'll only go for if nothing else is available.

notchucknorris, Jun 26, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +34.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Clear pale yellow colour with a small bit of head that fizzled away to nothing.

S - Sweet nose. Almost candy-like.

T - Sweet, crystal malts, corn, sugar, and water. If you actually try to assess what you're tasting here, it loses it's charm.

M - Watery light body, harsh carbonation.

D - Love it or hate it, it's Bud Light. It has and always will have it's place. Is it a good beer? Not really. Will I turn one down if offered? No.

PhageLab, Jun 24, 2011
1.93/5  rDev +4.3%

looks pale straw. crystal clear. very effervescent. white head. slight head retention.

this beer smells like... corn! with a touch of alcohol.

this beer has almost no flavor. what taste it does it has is of slight sweet corn flavor with a subtle accent of alcohol.

crisp finish, but still has a lingering sweetness, from the corn i would wager.

this beer feels very thin, but the carbonation does add some body, and/or smoothness.

overall, this beer sucks. i really think the world would be a better place if this beer stopped being made. the label says "superior drinkability," what i say is that this beer leaves an unpleasant taste in the mouth that you want to quickly wash out with more beer.

spitInTheOcean, Jun 24, 2011
1.38/5  rDev -25.4%

Yuck...simple as that. Not as bad as Coors light, but pretty darn close. I can't believe people come together at parties to drink this lazy beer.
The smell is absent, the mouthfeel is very poor. Just like Coors light, the taste is like club soda + alcohol. I will pass every time I see the bright blue can...I don't want to fill up on sub-par beer anyone could create.

Redfoot19, Jun 20, 2011
2.95/5  rDev +59.5%

24 ounce can, date of 24 FEB 11 stamped on the bottom of the can. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear straw gold color with an inch white head. Not much head retention, but there's a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is sweet malt and grain. I think the taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, it's all malt/grain/corn. Mouthfeel/body is light, and it's well carbonated. It's also a bit slick which surprised me. Rating this for the style of beer it is, I don't think it's bad at all. But comparing it to other beers in general, I would choose plenty of other brews before this one.

bluejacket74, Jun 19, 2011
1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

Can into a Russian River tulip.

Pours a white wine, off yellow color with a white tint to it. Almost no head upon pour, a collar that dissipates into nothing in seconds. Spritzy bubbles rise from the bottom of the beverage.

Smells like airy, dried simple syrup. Nothing else, just a weird junky sweetness.

Taste is sweet too. Corn with some dishwater in there, sweetness is muted in the aftertaste and leaves a bit of candy corn like flavor in your mouth. No balance to it at all, could use a decent bit of hopping.

On the palate, it's thin (like water thin) and prickly. Tons of carbonation to hide that flavor, oh yeah. Surprisingly a bit of drying too.

Overall, your typical adjunct lager. What can I say.

auroracrisis, Jun 16, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Beer poured from bottle into a Pilsener shaped glass

A - Beer poured with a one finger white colored head; dissipated very quickly; average amount of carbonation comes from the bottom of the glass; very pale colored body and clear; a very small amount of lacing formed on the side of the glass, but faded really quickly

S - Sweet malt and grainy; corn; rice; candy

T - Sweet grain taste; other than some grainy taste at the beginning the flavors disappears very quickly

M - Very, very thin and watery; slightly effervescent at first but turns flat immediately; no aftertaste really, other than some corn or grains

D - Well its Bud, what do you expect; kudos to the beer giants in St. Louis for making this beer last so long; it will be here for years to come; I would take a Miller Lite over this any day; keep up those funny commercials though

ferrari29, Jun 16, 2011
2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

This Bud's for somebody else.

Pours a pale yellow in the glass with a big head which quickly dissipates. It really does feel and taste like seltzer water, but maybe that's a plus given the lack of flavor. Barest hint of malt. I can't actually taste any hops. A dry, carbonation flavor, which I guess is what club soda is about.

I haven't done an extensive investigation into this style, so I may be missing some nuances here. Really cheap lagers from Honduras and India seem to have more flavor, so they must have determined that less flavor is what they're after. But it does seem like this is a suggestion of beer, a marketing campaign like the Marlboro Man.

mactrail, Jun 15, 2011
1.85/5  rDev 0%

We all know about Bud Light. It's nothing extraordinary, and yet it's nothing undrinkable. There is little to no smell, and the downside to this is that there is also little to no taste. Bud Light is basically water with a hint of beer flavoring. I guess it's good if you want to drink in excess, but still, there are other, better options out there. Don't get me wrong, I drink Bud Light on occasion, but it is nowhere near my 1st choice (or even my 30th choice).

jrockstar90, Jun 15, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -13.5%

reviewed on 6/10/11 - from notes:

A: bubbly head quickly diminishes to a rim of bubbles. very large carbonation can be seen through a clear, very pale yellow.

S: pilsner malt. that’s about it. maybe something similar to a faint champagne? who said miller high life was the champagne of beers? boooo.

T: corn and just the tip of pilsner malt. not a hint of hops either here or far. couldn’t be any further from interesting.

M: high carbonation on a non existent body.

D: only thing to do with this is drink it fast and cold. nothing going on here but some bubbly refreshment. double boo.

Jimmys, Jun 15, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +34.1%

A: Very light, clear straw color with a finger's width fluffy white head.

S: sweet honey and bready malts with some grainy aromas.

T: Sweet honey malt and some grainy flavors with a bit of hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Light and soda-like. Leaves a weird almost buttery sweetness and stickiness on the palette.

O: Not the worst beer ever, but still not one I would turn to if I was looking for a tasty beer. And you have to drink it fast before it warms up, because once it does, you might as well dump it down the drain.

Kromes, Jun 14, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Well, there's not much to say about Bud Light. It's basically the most "vanilla" beer you can order anywhere, and is loved by millions of Americans across the nation.

Pours a pale straw color, with a bubbly white head that quickly dissipates, leaving a highly-carbonated, very watery beer. Calling it "beer" is a stretch, BL tastes and looks like it's a near-beer that is mixed with water. It has hardly any taste that would identify it as a beer, it's basically like drinking a sour seltzer water, thankfully without any skunky odor like Corona. I guess no smell is better than a bad smell. As a "light lager", BL is understandably light-bodied and pale, but it is so bland and pitiful I don't see the point in drinking it, as water would be a cheaper, healthier alternative as a mere thirst-quencher; and I don't see why anyone would drink BL out of enjoyment, it seems to be a beer that is consumed in huge quantities and marketed to the lowest denominator.

Sudsy89, Jun 12, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Very light yellow appearance, almost ginger ale like with less color, well carbonated one finger head dissipates completely.
S- Very mild, almost no aroma, slight notes of barley, corn, very unappealing.
T- Watered down like crazy, very plain, only taste that comes out is corn, barley, rice, slight sweetness.
M- Light mouthfeel, carbonated, watery, fizzy.
O- The only good thing I can say about this beer is that on a really hot day this is a little refreshing when really cold. Other than that it’s very un enjoyable to drink, no taste or aroma really nothing to this beer, incredibly plain.

Chriscrundwell12, Jun 09, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -5.4%

A: What color? yellowish body with white head that dissipates quick. No lacing.

Sl: Nothing going on. Cereal, corn etc.

T: Light.

M: Club soda.

D: Only use is for when you run out of the good stuff on the lake or the beach. There is a reason it is the most popular beer, because the American beer drinker is an idiot.

drowninginhops, Jun 09, 2011
2.66/5  rDev +43.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Remember, as with everything, I review to style.

A - Pours very nice. Soapy head builds at an appropriate speed, you're able to pour in one swift motion. Head is white, brew is clear yellow with white and straw colors. Head dissipates quickly.

S - Not much stands out other than Corn, Rice, and Barley. Slight mustard scent.

T - Very relaxed, no over bearing flavor. Flavor is quite basic and plain. A bit too light.

M - Bubbly. Very decent brew for the style. Overly carbonated. Medium bodied.

O - Obviously this brew isn't an IPA. However, for the style it is quite nice on a hot day. It's right there with Miller Light for the battle of the "bests".

chugalug06, Jun 06, 2011
2.78/5  rDev +50.3%

I will rate this beer as of my weekend tasting and rate it as a beer in its class - not my personal preferences. This bottle was enjoyed after several Newcastle's so I admit I may have been a little optimistic and also had low expectations from previous encounters with Bud Light. The surprise to me was that I actually noticed some flowery taste in this beer. I couldn't believe it. That said I couldn't deny that on this day - bud light had more than I remembered.

SisuPride, Jun 05, 2011

Probably my least favorite beer I have ever tried. And that is saying something. I've drank plenty of Pabst, Tecate, and other bottom shelf beers.

Bud Light just has no flavor to it imo. I know it is a very popular beer, but I simply chalk that up to the American Public's lack of beerowledge (<~made it up, but I think you get my point), and the power that mass marketing from a major company like Anheuser Busch has.

If you like it, God Bless You and drink it up because I hate seeing it around and maybe it will stop people from having it at parties and offering it as a legitimate source of malty beverage.

TheMUBM, Jun 02, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A) Poured a light yellow to almost clear color. Intense carbonation that went away very quickly. No lace. Looked like veggie oil in color.

S) Smell? More like lack of smell. Reminded me of something stale mixed with rice.

T) Taste was not impressive either. Could tell right away it was made with rice. Left a slight after taste in my mouth that I wasnt really able to get rid of. I know now why it is a cheaper beer.

M) Very light almost to the point of water. Actually... Yeah exactly like water.

D/O) The famous phrase "HERE WE GO" Means HERE WE GO ON OUR WAY TO A HORRIBLE HANGOVER. I now know why people can drink an entire case of this.

benyerd, May 29, 2011
1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

My first Bud Light EVER! Very excited to review this...

Appearance: Out of a bottle and into an Ithaca Beer Co. pint, Bud pours fizzy and determined, producing a prominent head (over three fingers) that nonetheless dies very soon. Only a rim and some very active bubbles on top remain. Color is a crystal-clear yellow, reminds me of a cider. Surprisingly enough, there is some lacing left on the glass after a first exploratory sip.

I am fascinated by the carbonation of this thing. Watching the playful bubbles rise fast and furious from the bottom to the top of the glass is quite something. They are working hard!

Smell: Huh... there is no smell to speak of. If anything, a distant metallic aroma mixed with damp corn left on the field after a late-summer storm in the Heartland.

Taste: Huh... there is no taste to speak of. And I'm trying hard to come up with something! Feels like drinking sparkling water with the faintest prickliness at the end, which might be from the hops... but then it would be a miracle if real hops are used in this concoction. Finishes so very dry, like no other beer I have had.

I want to have some chocolate while I review, but I know it would totally and massively overpower the Bud. Even a piece of generic white bread would alter the experience, because there is no flavor here!

Mouthfeel: Extremely watery, thin and dry. Low (non-existent, actually) body and flavor, but substantial carbonation.

Overall: Drinkable for sure, but why would I want to drink this? What's more, why would anybody want to *pay* money to drink this? Water is free, folks! And it actually tastes better than Bud Light. It's not offensive, though. I mean, I drank the whole thing! (perhaps only because I was reviewing, though)

I am surprised this can legally be called "beer". And I am even more surprised that people get drunk out of this. I would need approximately four tons of Bud Light to get a decent buzz.

DoubleSimcoe, May 29, 2011